16 replies to this topic

#1 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:15 PM

I haven't see much going on with ED. Anyone got any news. I think I saw something about Paul being out for some time. Maybe this is why it's going slow now?

#2 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 06 October 2016 - 03:44 PM

With a little luck the imaginary stove is forgotten about, the imaginary house burns down and the bad ideas are destroyed forever.

Edited by Kaptain, 06 October 2016 - 03:46 PM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Russ said on Twitts that ED will be going to the live server by November or so.

#4 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:33 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

1. There's a lot of UI work (especially in the front end) that still needs to happen. I won't be surprised if they're finishing it all up before another PTS run.

2. Russ was making recent statements about wanting to do a "Live PTS Event" for Energy Draw. What'll be included in this event, exactly, we have no idea. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they're prepping for this event while we wait for another iteration.

Things are quiet right now, but I don't think ED has been forgotten . . . if anything for this alone:

View PostFupDup, on 06 October 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

It's been stated November, by the earliest. However, so far we've had 5 PTS runs and Russ has stated that Ghost Heat IS going away and they're going to be replacing it with whatever they feel, and the community feels, is better; and only when an overwhelming majority feels its better. Given the number of PTS runs they're doing, and the talks of a "Live PTS Event" to get a broader spectrum of feedback, I'm at least willing to take them at their word on that . . . for now.

Edited by Sereglach, 06 October 2016 - 05:33 PM.

#5 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hope it dies forever.

#6 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 October 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

I'm in favor of ED but I hope it doesn't happen this fast. We need a lot more testing with full teams.

#7 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:45 PM

With test servers as full as they are atm?

#8 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostSereglach, on 06 October 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

2. Russ was making recent statements about wanting to do a "Live PTS Event" for Energy Draw. What'll be included in this event, exactly, we have no idea. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they're prepping for this event while we wait for another iteration.

This would be a very good idea. That would get far more then the current very limited feedback. Even better if it also came with an ingame poll.

#9 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostZnail, on 07 October 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

This would be a very good idea. That would get far more then the current very limited feedback. Even better if it also came with an ingame poll.

It depends on how it's done and how well it's handled. Unless people who don't come to the forums and don't pay attention to Russ's Twitter . . . aka the overwhelming majority of players . . . are informed -beyond any shadow of a doubt- that it'd be a temporary situation to garner feedback then it could end in absolute disaster.

This would especially be the case if it is received poorly. People who wouldn't realize it's temporary may just walk away from the game never to return; and PGI can't afford to take any more major population hits (like what happened after the CW/FW Phase 3 flop). Thus, PGI would need to make sure that the fact it's a temporary event to garner feedback would need to be plastered everywhere imaginable. Also, PGI better make sure they have their ducks in a row and implement a lot of the constructive feedback on ED, as well as having all the UI work done (even as recent as the last PTS it wasn't), before even attempting it.

If it's received well it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad when they see it leave at the end of the event. Then PGI could easily quell the people angry to see it leave, by letting them know it's going to be refined and brought back as a permanent addition.

Regardless, I really wish we would have seen some sort of news before the weekend kicked off. Really bad move on their part being so ambiguous and aloof with the rewards deadline approaching. There's a lot of people hinging purchases on what these PTS series yield and news of where PGI is going with it.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 06 October 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

I haven't see much going on with ED. Anyone got any news. I think I saw something about Paul being out for some time. Maybe this is why it's going slow now?

I'm with the other guy.. I think they are doing major GUI stuff, along with number crunching to get quirks back on mechs and balanced, along with hopefully adding a few new ones that are needed for some mechs.. LIke Ammo quirk on commando and summoner! I can hope right?

#11 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostZnail, on 07 October 2016 - 08:05 PM, said:

You think so? I think it would be pretty bad myself because what Russ is talking about is pulling down his game's live servers for, what, a couple of days? Maybe a week?

I haven't found anyone who can remember another game that did that. Ever. Quite a few can name games that made drastic changes to their games (usually to the detriment of those games). But pull down a live server to play-test?

#12 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

View PostKael Posavatz, on 10 October 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

Russ is talking about is pulling down his game's live servers for, what, a couple of days? Maybe a week?

He's going to have a regular, live server update that shoves ED onto the live version of MWO.. and then, once the event is over, have another update that removes ED and goes back to GH.

I'm stocking up on games to play for the week that ED is an unavoidable annoyance.. and for if MWO goes full McIntosh and permanently adds ED.

#13 Znail

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

You think so? I think it would be pretty bad myself because what Russ is talking about is pulling down his game's live servers for, what, a couple of days? Maybe a week?

I haven't found anyone who can remember another game that did that. Ever. Quite a few can name games that made drastic changes to their games (usually to the detriment of those games). But pull down a live server to play-test?

A live test of a drastic update is better then just putting it live without the test and feedback.

#14 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:19 AM

if they do a life test, i do hope they cherry pick the best parts from the past 5 pts's. because thats the version that will be jugged by every one. even on the test server wile there was a new version coming out every week a load of ppl lost there sh*t over details (CPPC's being OP on a itiration of a PTS for example)...

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:01 AM

well maybe they could do that, And do some server maintenance/upgrades at the same time... I have seen games take servers down for a day or two for major over hauls.. this would be the perfect way to do it..

"Hey folks we are doing some major server overhauls for 2 days.. In the mean time play on test, and here is a little MC bonus for all of you that drop 20 times on test just to show our appreciation for your patients in helping us make the game better!"

#16 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 11 October 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostAnTi90d, on 10 October 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

He's going to have a regular, live server update that shoves ED onto the live version of MWO.. and then, once the event is over, have another update that removes ED and goes back to GH.

Yes. I repeat. The live-game is going away so the 'test' can be run on the live-client. I cannot find any other game that did this (substituted 'test game' in place of 'live game'). And the thing is, Russ wants to do this because of low turnout on PTS, which in turn is caused by PGI running live-server events, and not rewarding players for playing on PTS because Russ says that he'd rather not invest resources to do so.

I can understand not tracking c-bills and XP earned, but how hard is it to: X KMDD for MC, A/B/C/D KMDD in a light/Med/Hvy/Aslt mech for c-bills, etc... ?

Edited by Kael Posavatz, 11 October 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:05 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 07 October 2016 - 11:05 AM, said:

I'm in favor of ED but I hope it doesn't happen this fast. We need a lot more testing with full teams.

That's precisely why it's going to the Live server.

How fast they iterate on it, though, will be directly proportional to how much rage it provokes on the forums and on Twitter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users