Time To Take Away The Option To Choose Regional Servers

83 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:33 AM

Sorry, But this has to be done. European players are flooding the NA servers at almost every hour of the day now. Almost every game I play has something between 12 and 14 players with 120+ ping and at least 4 or more in the 300s.
The high pings and greater server loads are causing hit reg to regress to points where its not even worth playing as a NA player. Add in the rubber banding and lag and the game is just not fun, it frustrating.
They put up EU and Pac servers for a reason, time to start using them.
I dont mind if they cant find a game after 1 min then it switches over to the next server, but it cant be the default anymore.

There are obviously a lot of other problems that need to be fixed with this game, but lets start there as it should be a simple fix.

/Rant

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

#3 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

I always play all three regardless of ping, and , frankly, I think this game has the best optimization for ping ever. Truth be told, it may not have the best optimization, but the slower pace makes it playable at higher pings. That still ranks in the list of good things for me.

To get down to brass tacks, what you're really suggesting is that the total player base is increasing. I kinda doubt that, but I'd like to know the actual facts. How do you know that the players flooding in are from Europe?

I'm not saying I never get rubberbanding and such, but it doesn't generally interfere with my gaming experience. Is it perfect? No. BUT, before "solving" this problem, understand that the player base is quite small.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

I have no issue with current regional server selection.

#5 Froschkoenig

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

Yeah, that means throwing me on the Oceanic servers. No thank you. No offense to anyone from that region, but I disabled that option after the third game where only one person had under 300 ping.

#6 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:45 AM

Maybe you don't mind if others have to wait longer but those others might mind and leave this game if it takes to long to find matches. Would just be another incentive for players to leave.

I don't feel a great difference between EU and NA servers anyway. MWO is a slow paced game and a ping of 120 is fine for this game. Heck, we Europeans played this game only on NA servers before the other servers were released. Same goes for the asian players, though they have to deal with pings in the realms off 300 and plus. That is actually pretty high, even for this game.

You get a "no" from me. Posted Image

Edited by Wrathful Scythe, 08 October 2016 - 08:46 AM.

#7 Hunka Junk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 968 posts
  • LocationDrok's Forge

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

And actually, I'd like to make one more point about immersion.

In a futuristic world where people have huge robots but really crappy laser pointers, I LOVE hearing a whole mix of accents.

Gruff old ex-military dude
Analytic Indian
German telling us in German that the whole team ist ********
Russian screaming in Russian

OK, those are stereotypes, but I don't mean to demean. Rather, they're a priceless aspect of this game.

And specifically, it comes from the combined servers.

I spend most of my time playing games on a local server where everyone is yacking in a language I'm not familiar with. Maybe familiar enough to order a taxi, but not enough to grasp the ins and outs of in-game banter.

I don't want this to change here.

#8 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 October 2016 - 08:56 AM

Posted Image

No. Bad Samurai. That would kill the game off finally, and we don't want that.

#9 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

My problem is that i have a 75 ping; and when i shoot someone with a 200 ping nothing happens. I would say about 80% of my shots go wasted. If i shoot someone with 80 ping its more like 30%; So why should i get punished because of someone else? Its just a intensive for me and other people like me not to play. Or its a intensive for me to start cheating by using a WANEM to artificially make my ping higher to just compete.
I would love for them to fix hit reg, but its a problem going on since they went to 12 man teams and is not getting any better.
What every one is suggesting is 'the lag is making the game better because you live longer' I think thats a piss poor argument. If the problem is that people die to fast then they need to adjust the dmg ratio. Either double armor or halve the dmg of weapons across the board.

I dont mind when its a hand full of players. But we are talking more than half the game is high ping. you can still have that ethnic diversity, just at a lower scale.

#10 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

No online gamer wants a high ping. forcing one into a high ping will just make that gamer go play some thing else. I'm glad we can choose which server to use. Strangely it always seems that the NA server has the best ping out of the servers.

#11 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

Or you know there's trouble with AT&T and the ilk and pings are just higher because they're service is bad

Also
I don't get the gist of what OP is saying

He wants the option for choosing removed, but doesn't like playing with them on the same server
Soo
Wouldn't removing the option match even more players from overseas on NA servers?
Or is he proposing only regional servers?
Which most likely the player count can't sustain

Hell people complain daily about MM
Try it with roughly a third of the player base to work with

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

What a selfish *****!

Edited by Mystere, 08 October 2016 - 09:16 AM.

#13 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:16 AM

Aaaaaaaaahhhh, those filthy clanners european players....

pfffffffffffffffffffffff

to OP: no

#14 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 08 October 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

Or you know there's trouble with AT&T and the ilk and pings are just higher because they're service is bad

Also
I don't get the gist of what OP is saying

He wants the option for choosing removed, but doesn't like playing with them on the same server
Soo
Wouldn't removing the option match even more players from overseas on NA servers?
Or is he proposing only regional servers?
Which most likely the player count can't sustain

Hell people complain daily about MM
Try it with roughly a third of the player base to work with

He's proposing locked servers. Aka SEA 100% dies off, while NA and EU becomes painfully small.

#15 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

RIP Oceanic players

#16 Jownz

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

I play on all 3 servers to reduce wait time for matches. I really don't find it a problem. I usually have like 250ping on oceanic servers, 110 euro and 45 on na. I have fun on all 3 servers. Then again I remember playing mw2 when we use to have to shoot for lag leading targets direction lol... good old days. Dial up everyone had a 200 ping :)

Edited by Jownz, 08 October 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#17 The Zohan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 408 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hell no.

#18 Samurai 7

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

The OP is saying that there is a direct coloration between server load and game performance. By enforcing regionalization we are moving load from the NA servers to the less utilized systems. There is also a direct coloration between a low ping player and a high ping player. The system always favors the high ping player because the predictive nature of the software doesnt work, especially when you have lights running around at 160kph and can start and stop on a dime. I have been around since the beginning, its become painfully obvious that this game does not scale well nor does it work well globablly this is the just how it will always be when you are running a server based system vs p2p.

Based on all of the comments PGI should save the money and just shut them down and expand more NA servers.
If thats the case, then i would prefer to have a option where i can choose how high of a ping player i play with. IE +50ms +100ms etc.
I would rather wait 5 mins for a game where everyone is on equal ground then be forced into a game where i go 1 on 1 with nearly invincible mechs. There have been plenty of times where i will go 1v1 with a smaller mech with less firepower and lose because 80% of the shots are lost to who know what. I have screen shots that show me doing 200 or 300dmg to a light or medium where the entire mech doesnt have that much hp.

#19 roboPrancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 269 posts
  • LocationEh?

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

300 dmg is a pretty high alpha, I might like to see that kind of screenshot.

#20 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

That is not it. I have only euro server selected and is still redirected to the US. Given how common I find myself matched against known Tier 1 pilots on my T3 alt I think this is rather a sign on the dwindling population.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users