Getting Penalized For Game Crashes

8 replies to this topic

#1 Aelaen23

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

So I've had several game crashed after patches (128 or 0 bytes read known error) and needed to use Steam to verify and remove bad files. These happen when going into a battle.

So here I am, about to play. Nope, I'm denied. I have to go into steam and clean it - more time wasted. I relaunch. I go back into battle, which I'm either already destroyed or down one my team is in a snowballing poor position.

At this point I'm quite frustrated - came for fun, instead having to fix faulty patches, then go into a match I'm most likely already dead because even though the program knows it crashed - it brought up a crash report. I can't play that mech of choice in a fresh match because it's locked. And when that finally ends, *I* get penalized for prematurely leaving a match.

Look, crashes aren't fun, but treating players like criminals for crashes from known bugs is right unfriendly. If the game crashes, give me an option to unlock my mech as well as rejoin. And don't penalize me with waiting afterwards - trust me, I'd rather it didn't crash too.

#2 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

The server can't tell why you left the match, a crash is the exact same as an intentional disconnect.

But, if you are consistently have to repair your installation due to file corruption the issue is likely on your end. First thing to do would be to run chkdsk on the drive where your steam installation files are and see if it turns up anything.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

At some point, you should consider wasting some time going to delete all the .pak files and redownnloading them again through the Steam repair system (equivalent to a reinstall, but not quite) and that "should" minimize the problems.

If you're overclocking and/or loading tons of unnecessary stuff into memory, you may want to look into that.

#4 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

I was thinking very similarly before updating my CPU. The game crashed quite frequently back then, and didn't always launch on first try or did so very slowly, resulting in afk penalties.

So yes, failing at optimization and then treating the victims with old hardware as criminals, like you say, doesn't make PGI more attractive.

#5 Aelaen23

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 13 October 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

The server can't tell why you left the match, a crash is the exact same as an intentional disconnect.

But, if you are consistently have to repair your installation due to file corruption the issue is likely on your end. First thing to do would be to run chkdsk on the drive where your steam installation files are and see if it turns up anything.

Hmm, it knows it's a crash, launches a crash reporter, which then sends configurations and logs back.

No, I think the server can ABSOLUTELY known when it crashes.

#6 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostAelaen23, on 13 October 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

Hmm, it knows it's a crash, launches a crash reporter, which then sends configurations and logs back.

MWO crashes when I alt f4 often enough so... maybe not?

#7 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:04 PM

Your client knows, the server doesn't. And the server can't trust the client report, it could be faked. So, it doesn't even check.

#8 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

As other's have said, the game server doesn't know why you DCed, and even if the system was inclined to believe whatever your client said upon re-connection (It shouldn't), it's probably not where any error reporting goes.

As for your technical issue, that is almost certainly a local issue. You really should look into doing a complete uninstall/reinstall, ensuring all the game files are deleted. If problems persist, then you may have a hardware issue that needs looked into.

#9 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:37 AM

Game is just really unstable. I've had the same crash on loading on multiple computers. Send a crash report every time. Ironically the game was most stable during closed beta... you know when we had collision, articulated feet etc.

When people say the problem is on "your end" what they mean is that you're probably going to be better at fixing the game than PGI.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users