So, Is The Pts Dead?

34 replies to this topic

#21 Cementi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:16 PM

Last year around this time infowar was being tested.

The cryhards cried hard about laserlock and PGI went silent. Then in december if I recall it was announced that info war was postponed so they could work on FP. Infowar was never heard from again.

This year ED is anounced. The cryhards have been crying hard again. PGI goes silent again.

Anyone else figure the cryhards won again and PGI's big content announcement at mech con will be "ED is postponed to work on FP phase 4 guys. So buy a mech pack as we are announcing [insert whatever nostalgia mech they are saving for mechcon]".

I honestly figured the Bushwacker was gonna be a mechcon announcment.

Edited by Cementi, 22 October 2016 - 08:17 PM.

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostCementi, on 22 October 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

Last year around this time infowar was being tested.

The cryhards cried hard about laserlock and PGI went silent. Then in december if I recall it was announced that info war was postponed so they could work on FP. Infowar was never heard from again.

This year ED is anounced. The cryhards have been crying hard again. PGI goes silent again.

Anyone else figure the cryhards won again and PGI's big content announcement at mech con will be "ED is postponed to work on FP phase 4 guys. So buy a mech pack as we are announcing [insert whatever nostalgia mech they are saving for mechcon]".

I honestly figured the Bushwacker was gonna be a mechcon announcment.

You think laserlock would have truly solved stuff?

In the current meta, PPCs would pretty much dominate even more than the current state of laservomit (which is mostly mediocre).

You would then tip the scales much further than you'd think.

Edited by Deathlike, 23 October 2016 - 02:33 AM.

#23 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:23 AM

Kinda funny to see a niche group hate over ED when it boils down to "I can't Alpha vomit in my Assault anymore. PGI whys? u maek me criez. my attention span cannot handle shooting a Mech more than 3 times"

With Mechs being fragile as 3D paper models, might as well ditch ED and add respawn. Hiding Behind Rocks Warrior Online would be exciting then.

Edited by Stone Wall, 25 October 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#24 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

I'm all for adding armour and penetration, if we are at it.

Also, reducing ED criticism to the desire to alpha is a very pathetic strawman.

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

View PostStone Wall, on 25 October 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Kinda funny to see a niche group hate over ED when it boils down to "I can't Alpha vomit in my Assault anymore. PGI whys? u maek me criez. my attention span cannot handle shooting a Mech more than 3 times"

With Mechs being fragile as 3D paper models, might as well ditch ED and add respawn. Hiding Behind Rocks Warrior Online would be exciting then.

If you actually understand WHAT it did, you'll understand that it doesn't solve what it aims to solve.

What players that have sub 1 K-D/W-L ratio do is not learn how to play properly... and get into situations where they get murdered quickly (increasing TTK will not solve your woes). That's not the fault of the current system, but rather skill, execution, and mostly knowledge.

Edited by Deathlike, 25 October 2016 - 03:32 PM.

#26 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:22 AM

View PostKuaron, on 25 October 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

I'm all for adding armour and penetration, if we are at it.

Also, reducing ED criticism to the desire to alpha is a very pathetic strawman.

Armor is the way to to go since we don't have respawn.

Desire to Alpha is all I've seen from Assault mainers. They say their Assaults should be able to have a higher Alpha cap than any other weight class.

View PostDeathlike, on 25 October 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

If you actually understand WHAT it did, you'll understand that it doesn't solve what it aims to solve.

What players that have sub 1 K-D/W-L ratio do is not learn how to play properly... and get into situations where they get murdered quickly (increasing TTK will not solve your woes). That's not the fault of the current system, but rather skill, execution, and mostly knowledge.

There's not much skill in this version of MechWarrior compared to past online titles. This version caters to high Alphas, long distance, and using cover.

I don't see the need as much in this title to manage heat, coolant, or ammo. Those were skills in past games. Reasons being: it's 12 on 12. You can shut down with the other 11 Mechs around you and it doesn't matter. Plus there is SO much cover in this game to help those with low KDRs to avoid snipers and missles. A shut down is probably protected on at least one side by a hill or a tree. No one needs coolant in this game because the maps aren't that hot. You don't need to conserve ammo when there's no respawn, the game mode probably isn't TDM anyways, and you have 11 Mechs backing you up.

#27 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

I always thought, and still think that. A system of dmg reduction sorta like the laser lock (but not limited to just lasers) idea. But instead of your dmg being reduced, it's their dmg taken being reduced, if you getting hit from multiple targets. Since the game heavily focused, on a team focusing targets. Also at that point you actually take dmg, there is a cooldown of sorts that you take some reduced dmg. But the more ppl firing on you the more it's reduced. To offset the crazy focus firing. This is just my thoughts, and how I feel. I dunno if it's the right way to go about solving the issues of imbalance. But seriously, I don't think it's actually ment to be balanced. Sure mech of the same weight class could be brought closer on par with eachother. But to balance every class with every other, like meds vs assults..... No way a med should be balanced against an assault, just my thoughts. Take with a gain of salt. Also different class's should have a different reduced dmg cap. So I guess in a way it's similar to ED and laser lock, but in reverse, meaning it's not effecting your mech, it's effecting the mech your shooting at, and hitting.

Edited by Omaha, 26 October 2016 - 08:04 AM.

#28 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

View PostStone Wall, on 26 October 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

I am speaking of actual armour, not ablative hitpoints on top of bags of hitpoints.

Desire to Alpha is all I've seen from Assault mainers. They say their Assaults should be able to have a higher Alpha cap than any other weight class.

Did you read the other threads about ED or only the assault whine?
E.g. topics about encouraged boating?

#29 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:16 PM

#30 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

I disagree with at least one of his points: If you don't evolve, you die, and MWO is not particularly well alive.
One cannot say "There is some gameplay and balancing, so it works well, leave it be".

#31 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:25 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 26 October 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

There's not much skill in this version of MechWarrior compared to past online titles. This version caters to high Alphas, long distance, and using cover.

I don't see the need as much in this title to manage heat, coolant, or ammo. Those were skills in past games. Reasons being: it's 12 on 12. You can shut down with the other 11 Mechs around you and it doesn't matter. Plus there is SO much cover in this game to help those with low KDRs to avoid snipers and missles. A shut down is probably protected on at least one side by a hill or a tree. No one needs coolant in this game because the maps aren't that hot. You don't need to conserve ammo when there's no respawn, the game mode probably isn't TDM anyways, and you have 11 Mechs backing you up.

And you are till rank 4. 1500 posts makes me think that you have around 10k games. How does that fit together? After 10k Games you cannot be rank 4. Its impossible. the chances of gaining are much much higher than loseing on that xp meter. Or do you post mroe than you play?

AN dhten your text about shutting down and everything... I know teh low ranks have a very bad map awarenes, but shutting down is a hard mistake that normally kills you. I dont know where you get that idea from.... shows agian how much you do not get in contact with the game and how its played in the higher tiers....

#32 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:02 AM

View PostCara Carcass, on 28 October 2016 - 02:25 AM, said:

And you are till rank 4. 1500 posts makes me think that you have around 10k games. How does that fit together? After 10k Games you cannot be rank 4. Its impossible. the chances of gaining are much much higher than loseing on that xp meter. Or do you post mroe than you play?

AN dhten your text about shutting down and everything... I know teh low ranks have a very bad map awarenes, but shutting down is a hard mistake that normally kills you. I dont know where you get that idea from.... shows agian how much you do not get in contact with the game and how its played in the higher tiers....

I played in Closed Beta and a little after release, took a break for 2 years, and came back in June of this year. People told me about this PSR system that started me out in Tier 5.

I started a YouTube channel showing my progress out of Tier 5. I then took another break waiting on ED to be released. Since that is on hold, I am about to return again. I play this game to have what fun I can with it, then I put it away for a bit. Hiding Behind Rocks Online tends to get stale ya know?

View PostKuaron, on 26 October 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

Did you read the other threads about ED or only the assault whine?
E.g. topics about encouraged boating?

I read alot of them since pre first PTS. There was alot of tears. Which ones are we talking about?

#33 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:32 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 28 October 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

I played in Closed Beta and a little after release, took a break for 2 years, and came back in June of this year. People told me about this PSR system that started me out in Tier 5.

I started a YouTube channel showing my progress out of Tier 5. I then took another break waiting on ED to be released. Since that is on hold, I am about to return again. I play this game to have what fun I can with it, then I put it away for a bit. Hiding Behind Rocks Online tends to get stale ya know?

I read alot of them since pre first PTS. There was alot of tears. Which ones are we talking about?

So you are posting more than you play........

However avoiding damage is better than standing in the open. You cannot change that fact. There will always be situations where poking is going to be superior and movement between covers is going to get you towards the enemy if you are short ranged. Ther is nothing you can do about it. No change in armor or dmg output however controlled it is will change that.

#34 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

Yes, armour starts deserving it's name if it stops peeling off being additional HPs, but gains the ability to, in some situations, block damage and stay in place (so not being penetrated).
Then you gain the option to rely on it instead of cover whenever such a situation occurs.

View PostStone Wall, on 28 October 2016 - 03:02 AM, said:

The point I called is a valid one, isn't it?
What about the lacking interpretation of ED parallel to heat? There is nothing it represents, it's just an artificial, gamy limit.

At least for me this are the important points, and the reason I stopped seeing ED as the lesser evil to GH. Both are bad nonsense. One nonsense cures boating a little, the other one alphastriking. None of both improves both problems, not to speak of being in the slightest way an elegant solution.

#35 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

I havent played any games with ED system but I did run my own tests.

Frankly I am disappointed. It seems on the forums people are having much better ways/ideas on how to implement ways of reducing overly powered builds. A weird option, this is what happens in streetfighter (I know, I know), the more damage you do in a single combo, the damage gets significantly reduced. Apply that to mech and you get people trying to acheive more than 30 damage, put all their tonnage into making it happen and cooling but struggle to hit 50 damage. If they really want it, then they can have it but it's at a larger cost then two mechs set up to deal 25 damage each (heatwise).

At least they should try and allow the larger mech classes to have more ED capacity OR tie it to the engine (the first works out ok for clans as some mechs cannot change).

The Direwolf will become a dire wimp. 100 Tonnes of ... nothing. It's a gun platform which whose speed is it's achilles heel. Now it will be impotent and redundant.

From my tests I can see IS weapons seem to get more leniency, but I get that because of the weapon ranges. Clans suffer from firing 4 med pulse lasers?! wow.

This whole system just doesnt feel right. I like what it's trying to achieve but I really do feel the current system's working better. Maybe just tweak the maths.

I ll do more testing at another time but I hope this project gets scrapped.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users