Purist Clan, Is Or Mixed?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

I was thinking about Clan vs IS balance and it got me wondering exactly how many players were either purist Clan or IS player in this game. For myself I am pretty split right down the middle.

I have 43 Clan mechs and 37 IS mechs currently in my Stable. My favorite mechs are:

Arctic Cheetah
Crab
Cataphract
Hellbringer
Kodiak
Marauder
Phoenix Hawk
Stormcrow
Viper
Warhammer

I tend to lean toward the Clans from a Lore Standpoint but my play preference is pretty split right now and equally enjoy both my Clan and IS mechs in equal measure.

So how do you see yourself? Are you either a Clan or IS purist playing on Clan or IS mechs? Do you play both but strongly favor one over the other? Are you like me and generally bounce back and forward between both sides? What is your preference?

#2 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

238 IS, 132 Clan

So that's roughly (I have dupes) the ratio when you own every chassis. From what I know of the lore, I'd lean IS, I think, but have a personal Ghost Bear leaning in MWO.

Edited by TercieI, 15 October 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#3 Cub

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

I am a Clan purist and my favorite 'mech is the Kodiak, and to be specific, the Spirit Bear. The Kodiak has been my favorite 'mech ever since I popped that Mechwarrior 2: Ghost Bear's Legacy into my CD drive and watched it burst out of a snow bank and crush a Clan Smoke Jaguar Vulture with a DFA Posted Image! I have to say the MWO design of the Kodiak solidified that love, it is one fine lookin' 'mech now!

I must mention that I do have 1 IS chassis in my Clan collection of 'mechs, and that is a Locust: Pirate's Bane. The only reason it is there is because it was gifted to me. Because of years and years of being a Clan purist, it is difficult for me to customize an IS chassis in the mechlab, and actually starts to make me angry over time, lol. As an example, it bugs the crap outta me that IS double heat sinks take up 3 slots. This test tube baby will never understand, nor care to. However, I will concede that some IS 'mechs look freakin' sweet and are totally badass. Also, I cheered on that Steiner dude in the Battletech cartoon as a kid and dreamed of piloting my own Axeman and even had this action figure of the thing that I played with until the springs wore out. It was because of the cartoon I developed a strong dislike for Clan Jade Falcon and never even played their campaign side in Mechwarrior 2.

~Cub

Edited by Cub, 15 October 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#4 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:37 PM

I'm an off and on player, but I'm purist IS for what its worth. It's a mix of me not being excited about Clans (I view them more like NPC/GM controlled mobs then as a player faction), and I only play mechs that I have nostalgia for (Which are all IS mechs, without fail) or that I have special mechs for (Loyalty/Founder).

So... my mechs...
  • Urbanmech UM-R60L - Elite
  • Jenner JR7-D (F) - Master
  • Centurion CN9-AH (L) - Master
  • Hunchback HBK-4G (F) - Master
  • Trebuchet TBT-5N - Elite
  • Catapult CPLT-A1 (C) - Master
  • Catapult CPLT-C1 (F) - Master
  • Catapult CPLT-BB - Master
  • Catapult CPLT-J - Master
  • Jagermech JM6-A (C) - Master
  • Jagermech JM6-DD - Master
  • Atlas AS7-D (F) - Master
  • Atlas AS7-S (L) - Master
  • King Crab KGC-000 (L) - Basic
Obviously, I've played some and sold them.

#5 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

I only own a couple IS mechs. Sarah's Jenner and the Overlord special mechs, all of which are both stripped and unresellable. The only IS mech I own that is still fully functional is my Ilya Muromets which used to be my primary mech of choice back in the day.

Absolutely every other mech I own is clan.

#6 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:45 PM

I own my fair share of clan mechs. Timberwolves, Hellbringers, Novas, Warhawks, Summoner's, Ebon Jags.... but i hardly ever touch them. I play my IS mechs I'd say 95% of the time.

#7 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

Most of my mechs are IS, other than some wave 1, ACH, and shadowcat.

#8 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 October 2016 - 02:46 PM

My IS account has 76 mechs, my Clan account has 54, I think. All fully equipped with weapons and engines, ready to rock. I play them both equally. I tend to play only IS for a couple of months and then only Clan for a couple of months, depending on my mood or whether I have a new toy to level up.

I think I like both sides equally. I also feel that you should play both sides to understand how the game is balanced. It's easy to be biased if you only play one side. To be honest, I feel like I shouldn't even talk too much about the EBJ and SCR, even though I have most of the Clan mechs in the game, because it's hard to get a proper impression of a mech you've never really played.

#9 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

One IS and 9 Clan, no free mechbays. That one IS mech is special case of Archer 5W, since none of the C-Bill available Clan mechs came close to anything of it's like, and I wanted one real LRM boat.

At least in start I find it easier to concentrate. When you build mechs you will need weapons and other stuff. When you concentrate on one tech, it's cheaper build up that necessarily stockpile. Plus all sorts of weapon modules and stuff like that, too.

And learning about weapons too, there's plenty of difficulty figuring out just one tech base.

Granted going Clan way is definetly expensive because of mechs and omnipods are pretty expensive.

#10 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

Clan purest here. I have owned IS Mechs but only because that was all that you could get when I first played. They have since been sold with the exception of the Centurion Loyalty Mech that I cannot sell. That one stays in the hangar but I occasionally look at it because it has a cool paint scheme.

Ironically, until MWLL I was all IS. But once I joined a Clan group in MWLL and started researching the background of the clans I became intrigued and it has been all Clan ever since. I would still play Clan even if the IS Mechs were better.

Edited by Rampage, 15 October 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#11 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

Mostly Clam, pretty much exclusively because of the cXL

RIP WubShee

#12 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

It's a mix. Mostly play my IS mechs, but enjoy looking at the clanners because of MW2.

#13 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

My usage is mixed.. because I'd rather run something reasonably competitive most of the time.

Just don't ask me to raise my hands for the Mist Lynx.

#14 Hans Brackhaus

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:13 PM

At the moment I'm an IS purist. Eventually I'll start collecting Clan mechs but IS has always been my preference in lore and I expect it to continue to be here as well.

#15 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

Clanners smell funny and have no naughty bits.

#16 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Kuritan loyalist with 138 IS and 40 Clan...barely touch my Clan mechs but have been driving them here and there since playing again this month.

View PostViktor Drake, on 15 October 2016 - 02:25 PM, said:

I was thinking about Clan vs IS balance and it got me wondering exactly how many players were either purist Clan or IS player in this game. For myself I am pretty split right down the middle.

I have 43 Clan mechs and 37 IS mechs currently in my Stable. My favorite mechs are:

Arctic Cheetah
Crab
Cataphract
Hellbringer
Kodiak
Marauder
Phoenix Hawk
Stormcrow
Viper
Warhammer

I tend to lean toward the Clans from a Lore Standpoint but my play preference is pretty split right now and equally enjoy both my Clan and IS mechs in equal measure.

So how do you see yourself? Are you either a Clan or IS purist playing on Clan or IS mechs? Do you play both but strongly favor one over the other? Are you like me and generally bounce back and forward between both sides? What is your preference?

8 Founder massacre lol.

#17 EAP10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 401 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

I'm predominantly clan, but I have a dozen or so is mechs as well.

Sometimes it's fun to just play with different tech and experiment a bit.

Mechs I own if anyone cares
Lights:
1 Spider
3 Arctic Cheetos
3 Kit Foxes
2 Firestarters, (One of them is the Ember, I bought it back when it was good)

Mediums:
4 Cicadas (my favorite medium)
4 Shadowcats
4 Novas
2 Loyalty Centurions

Heavies:
3 Catapults (including the k2, which I loved and still love)
3 Jagermechs
3 Summoners
4 Ebon Jaguars

Assualts:
3 Warhawk
5 Executioners
2 King Crabs
2 Loyalty Atlases
5 Direwolves (My favorite mech, it's so fun sometimes)
Aaaand 7 Kodiaks (I'm kinda working on liking them)

#18 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 15 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

I don't own any Clan 'Mechs. Just not my thing.

#19 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

Clan Purist, thanks to Mechwarrior 2.

52 Clan mechs

3 Locusts

The 3 loyalty IS chassis that sit stripped and forgotten.

#20 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:22 PM

146 mechs 134 mastered. Everyone an IS mech. When I have received clan mechs from contests, those I can't sell I have PGI remove.

You see, I came to this game only after CW went live. I came for the nostalgia of Battletech and Mechwarrior.
I came to fight the evil clanners of a game I played as a kid.

As the CW aspect fades I get that such loyalty to a concept is well, stupid; but that is what I came to the game for to fight the clans. And by god I am sticking with that regardless of imbalance, lack of lore or even utter lack of content relevant thereto. If PGI won't supply me with a reason to fight the filthy clanners, I can at least bring my own created motivation to a game that I was once really excited about. Minus that motivation -or any other motivation that one might create- there really isn't much reason to play.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users