Why Remove Old Map?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

There is little-to-nothing graphically or terrain-wise that the new map has with the map it replaced.

Indeed, the new map lacks what I thought to be one of the best features of the Terra Therma map. Namely, all of the volcanos that you could perch on and fight from.

So I have to ask, what is the point of removing Map A that has limited stylistic features in common with Map B?

Removing content at the same time as you add content is not a positive, it is a net-zero. This game is already content-starved enough.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

Because they are dead weight, and they are too small, or too flawed.

Terra Therma was flawed. Frozen City was too small. Forest Colony was too small. River City was too small.

They had outdated assets, poor texturing, poor lighting, and added 50-100MB each to the install base, and also needed to be checked every time any of their shared assets were updated.

#3 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

View PostTarogato, on 18 October 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

Because they are dead weight, and they are too small, or too flawed.

Terra Therma was flawed. Frozen City was too small. Forest Colony was too small. River City was too small.

They had outdated assets, poor texturing, poor lighting, and added 50-100MB each to the install base, and also needed to be checked every time any of their shared assets were updated.

I might agree with you about the size of forest colony...for quickplay. Of course, it and old river city would be just about perfect for a small, intense, scouting map. The way we are using giant maps made for 12v12 for 4v4 is just a little ridiculous. Old Frozen City was one of the most beloved maps in the game.

Old Terra Therma allowed for a degree of vertical gameplay that few other maps offer, and none manage to accomplish in the same way. It also had a dark, gritty feel that worked for its location (ash-choked volcano-land) that no other map offers. You may consider it poorly lit, but for ambience it worked very well.

Regarding download size... How hard would it be to make old maps an optional download for private lobbies? I mean, I don't particularly like the idea of removing them from quickplay, but I really hate losing them entirely.

As for your argument about needing to check them any time shared assets are updated. That would be true of any new map as well. If it is too difficult to check a map's assets (or time-consuming, which, granted, isn't the same thing), then what you are actually arguing for is to never have more than the fourteen QP maps and 6 FW maps.

Edited by Kael Posavatz, 19 October 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#4 Pampajoe

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 17 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:38 AM

At the Moment Thera Therma is not flexibel after that redesign. All Fights are in the F7 Area. For what we have diffrent modes in this Game.

And for the Size Promlem. Why dosn´t use the same map with other Frontiers. That works also in other Games. Same Map with other Size for diffrent Modes.

#5 Sauron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationMordor, NJ

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

I personally agree with the OP. I'd prefer to see the original versions of the maps remain in the game. I understand pulling them from the main rotation, even if I loved all the original maps more than most of the updated versions. That was based on community feedback if I am not mistaken.

Might they at least be able to be added back at some point for private match play?

#6 valt901

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

Since you have brought back all the old maps (thank you for that) it has been like seeing an old friend. Except you forgot one friend. How about bringing back the old Tera Therma? i miss running around the cauldron trying to get position before the other guy. Or trying to get up there if you were late. It was fun, bring it back please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users