27 replies to this topic

#21 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostVoq, on 20 October 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

I'm with you Nullmancer. I immediately thought "No way this BJ is going to be good for brawling/SRM boating". I look at the ASRM6 build and think of my Griffins (one of which is faster, has better shield arms, AND ECM). BJs have always been solid support energy skirmishers.
It'd be nice if it had been better quirked for it, but the LL build you have makes sense to me. It functions like my Arrow (3LL 6MG), keep with the group providing energy support, and then close in for the mop up as the groups collide.

Edit: The only issue for me with the build is the heat management. You've actually tried it, but I'm guessing you can only use one set of weapons at a time? Is the 9+1 heat sinks enough for 2LL even? Must be. But you certainly couldn't use both lasers and missiles at the same time, right?

its not that bad, but i tend to spend more time at large laser range then SRM, and if something does decide to pressure me, i just lay off a LL and feed 'em SRM's til they **** off.

#22 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

I went with a jack of all trades build. 2 LRM5, 2SRM4 and 2ML 2.5 tons of ammo for both, max xl engine, ams and near max armor (head short a couple of points.).

lets me lob away during the 'no one wants to get their paint scratched" part of the fight. then when stuff is softened up or some light comes by to visit the LRM boat. I have enough of a punch left to be a deterrent or start taking out components/vulture kills. end up in the 250-350 damage range in non getting stomped matches. nothin special but keeps me occupied the whole match anyway. have been getting 8+ assists regularly though, hit 11 a couple of times

#23 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Tomorrow I'm going try ASRM6s with STD235. Yes, very little ammo and no backup weapons, only one JJ and dangerously little armour on legs, but better lose one of those and give one or two more volleys than lose a half torso and die instantaneously.
Maybe I'll change the JJ for a bit more ammo depending on how long this Mech lives.
Or the boring alternative with ASRM4s and a reasonable amount of ammo, but I had already tried them and they didn't work well on him (with an XL configuration a few day ago).

Edited by Kuaron, 22 October 2016 - 09:08 PM.

#24 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

After running some various srm builds and getting frustrated and switching to LRMS, I am going back
To 4 ASRM6 w/xl235. Despite its limitations it is the one I was most effective in.

#25 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:24 AM

so after too many generic matches I swapped it up some 4 SRM 4 w/ 4 tons ammo, ams w/ half ton of ammo std 235 engine, near max armor. actually getting high 300s-400s damage and kills more often now. and it seems to annoy people when they take off my torso and I shoot back at them instead of dying like I was supposed to.

#26 Colonel Clunge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 104 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:14 AM

Anyone tried 2 ERLLAs with 4 LRM5s?

Seems to me this one is not suited for SRMs - too fragile. But some hill humping with the ERs and indirect fire from the LRMs sounds like it would make more sense?

Anyone had any field experience of this type of build?

It's a pity the engine cap is so low.....

#27 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:26 AM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 28 October 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

Seems to me this one is not suited for SRMs - too fragile. But some hill humping with the ERs and indirect fire from the LRMs sounds like it would make more sense?

Yeah, that's what I'm running. 300 damage a match.

I think I wiil swap to 2ERL+4SRM4, or something like that.

#28 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:01 PM

View PostColonel Clunge, on 28 October 2016 - 02:14 AM, said:

I happened to put it together yesterday.
Worked well the one match on polar, but it is the ideal map for this weaponry after all.
But I generally like SRMs, resulting in using all Mechs with enough missile slots for them so this is my first LRM Mech again since a long time.
That I put LRMs on here only means that it works not so well with SRMs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users