22 replies to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...350d50b42c3caa0

How is this for a KDK-3 build. I think I'm going to get money and make mine into this. It has the potential ability to strip an atlas but is a bit slower. I don't mind the slowness. I prefer the massive damage and just use terrain etc. Has anyone ever run this before?

Engine is only 1.8 million also. Much cheaper than faster engines! 8)

Or should I do a 300 or lower engine so I can do small pulse or mediums/medium pulses?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c8df93d84c9cfd2
or
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a7d089e2e553aa9

Edited by Arugela, 20 October 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#2 radiv

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:07 PM

That thing cant alfa, has to expose front to get shots off. An Atlas will kill that every time

#3 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

Dat build is.... interesting... to say the least ������

Edited by Hunter Tseng, 20 October 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#4 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:01 PM

Kodiak with a STD 300 engine? If you want a turret, you might as well just run a Direwolf.

#5 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:16 AM

So far the trick seems to be to stick the four balistics on one button and put them on chain fire and just tap the crap out of it. It will unleash 300 damage before reaching heat maximum. I can also replace the 4 laser slots with just er mediums and put int two more tons of ammo. Or remove those again for another 2 tons of ammo...

And I don't have a Direwolf or I possibly would. 8)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...16334154057809d

I just need to get my shots centered better.

Edited by Arugela, 21 October 2016 - 12:28 AM.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:36 AM

The main point in piloting a Kodiak is having the firepower and armor of a Direwolf and the speed of a slow heavy merged in one chassis.
You take away the main advantage. Speed.
What you get is a VERY EFFIN LARGE humanoid mech that won't live long enough in most cases to get into weapons range and/ or be able to fire more than one salvo without getting focused and taken appart by half the enemy team.

Further your second advantage, high balistic hardpoints is only good at range. Close in its even dangerous for you 'cause smaler mechs will run under your guns so you can't hit them due to elevation angle.
A group of mediocre piloted lights will kill every kodiak because you can easiely approach them from sides (bad field of view) get under their main guns and run circles around them.

Next thing is UAC20.
Like IS AC20 you cant fire more than one at once without ghostheat. Two are painfull and together with UAC10 next to impossible.
If you arent carefull and double tap them and the ghostheat bug kicks in you will nuke yourself right to Jupiter orbit.

The armweapons you installed wont be enough to repell lights and will make your heat issues even worse.
Didn't you notice that there are so very few cMPLs on field ?
Reason is they are to hot for boating them.
Only scenario where they excell is a hardpoint anemic mech with shortrange layouts but since the Clan mech flood most ppl will have still a better heat/dmg ratio and more range than you with MPLs.

A well functioning non Quad UAC10 or quad LB10X Kodiak 3 builds is:

-- DG-DPPC depending on your prferences I yould suggest removing one heatsink and adding a C-FLC 1 or a C-BAP

Edited by The Basilisk, 21 October 2016 - 03:01 AM.

#7 Bohxim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:51 AM

Ok my honest opinion
1st, it'll turn really sluggish. So unless you're playing ranged, it'll hurt your survival, and with those weapons range is partially out of the question
2nd, too little ammo and heat efficiency for extended brawls
3rd, sticking uac onto chain fire doesn't give you double tap options, which is kind of a waste.

I generally run 4 builds on kdk3 on rotation to keep things fresh
4 uac10 and around 10 tonnes ammo
4 uac 5, 4 erml and around 8 tonnes ammo
Twin gauss twin ppc round 7 tonnes ammof
And for a slow turret quad gauss std 280 and 9 tonnes ammo

#8 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:16 AM

How about a Quad Guass KDK-3?

Here is what I normally play with on KDK-3. Or very close. If not I use quad mediums. I was trying to make something that would strip frontal armor faster. But it's seems the UAc20's and 10's aren't as accurate as I'd hoped... I was hoping a quick 120 would take things down nicely but I have to get really close for that to work.. Although once you do get close it's pretty fun. 8) Got at least one cockpit kill in a pretty small amount of games if I'm not mistaken.

Or how about this. The long range KDK-3!! >< I'm trying this one out right now.

Edit: The long range KDK-3 isn't that bad. I get about the same 500+ damage per match as the quad UAC5(As long as you don't get yourself killed early in the match that is...).

Tip#1: Make sure you have the ammo for the correct UAC!! ;d Nothing like showing up to the rodeo with a quad machine gun and the ammo don't fit...

Edited by Arugela, 21 October 2016 - 03:35 AM.

#9 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:14 AM

To low on ammo. Just 12,5 shots per Gaussriffle.

#10 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

You need atleast 7 tons on a Quad Gauss KDK. You will chew through 50 shots very quickly. Heck, you go through 40 on a dual gauss dire without any problems on a good game.

#11 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:25 AM

long range KDK-3

I've played a few more games in this. The range makes up for the speed a bit. You feel like you are getting more done.

I've finally moved my 300STD engine to my KDK4. This seems a good place for it. And a cheap way to get that mech more ammo.

On that note:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc0152281a292a4

IS KDK-4 or Spirit bear better as a LRM...?

Edited by Arugela, 21 October 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#12 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

New build. How is this one?

SuperDuperHotDakka

I have the 300 engine so I thought I would shove it back on my KDK-3 for more stuff. It's a bit slow and a bit hot but not so bad...

#13 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:34 AM

View PostArugela, on 26 October 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

New build. How is this one?

SuperDuperHotDakka

I have the 300 engine so I thought I would shove it back on my KDK-3 for more stuff. It's a bit slow and a bit hot but not so bad...

Why do you so desperately insist on making the Kodiak a slow assault ? He's to big for beeing THAT slow.
You have to bring 3 sorts of ammo what hightens the chance of loosing one or two of your weapon systems by a single lucky hit (and not enough ammo for UAC5)
Further the minimum effective speed for an Assault mech to get over any obstacles is >56kph
If you go slower EVERY pebble will stop you also you will be unable to navigate some slopes that otherwise wouldn't be a problem.
Even further this mech has 2-3 Weaponmodules. With 3 Weapon types you wont be able to max out a single trait.
An other easy to grasp thought: A short ranged mech like AC KDK with UACs needs to cloese up to his enemy....so slow + shortrange == bad

There realy is only one KDK build where a standart engine would make some sense due to space issues.
KDK4 with dual Gauss and Dual ERPPC for corner peaking. But its still too slow and has not enough accell decell.
All slow assaults have an issue with beeing revealed to enemy fire for too long a time. Thats the reason why KDK is so dangerous. Remember quad UAC or even Hexa UAC isn't new. Direwolf can do this and Mauler too. Problem is exposure time and time you need to do a significant ammount of dmg.

Your long range build is too effin slow and its DPS just ... well it needs to be around 6 for the Acs allone to be of use and even with lazors its only at 4.6.

Edited by The Basilisk, 26 October 2016 - 01:09 AM.

#14 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:50 AM

View PostArugela, on 21 October 2016 - 03:25 AM, said:

long range KDK-3

I've played a few more games in this. The range makes up for the speed a bit. You feel like you are getting more done.

I've finally moved my 300STD engine to my KDK4. This seems a good place for it. And a cheap way to get that mech more ammo.

On that note:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc0152281a292a4

IS KDK-4 or Spirit bear better as a LRM...?

Neither.... KDK4 is good a precise placement of dmg with dual AC10 quad ERM and TC
The Spiritbear is the fastest Assault with a super Atlas loadout. 4T unused because Smurfys failed to show masc.

#15 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:21 AM

I insist on making one because I want to make something more maxed out and I bought a low engine and am trying to use it. I'm going to go quad guass next. 8)

I also sold one of my 400xl engines at one point so I have to make one kdk into a slow mech atm.

Edit: Quad Gauss on a 300STD engine it is!! >< That is way to fun!

Guassie Bear! <- Like Fozzie Bear. But funnier!! (extra ammo version)

Posted Image

I know exactly what to make this one look like:
Posted Image
Where in the store can I get the tie and the hat?

Edit: I want Fozzie Bear speakers that say, "Wakka Wakka!" when I kill something.

Edited by Arugela, 26 October 2016 - 04:18 AM.

#16 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:03 AM

I just got clear praises in game for this build. So I'll share it. I was surprised people liked it. I would have thought the opposite.

KDK-3

I'm curious. Would it matter wether the UAC10 or 20 was on top....?

This build does kill pretty quick. The 60 damage from the main guns and then 30 from the dual Guass hurts stuff pretty nicely. Glad I slapped this together now. I'll have to keep it as my default KDK-3 build now.

The only downside is the kills don't translate into xp and c-bills well... 8\

And for mods I'm assuming I want all 3 CD's. What should be the 4th mod? Seismic sensor, Redar Dep, or zoom? I"m assuming Seismic sensor. Edit: That is what i did.

Edited by Arugela, 25 November 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#17 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:28 AM

If you really 100% have to mix Gauss and UACs, then maybe this instead?

Pros - Faster, cooler, more ammo, better DPS, sturdier legs, mount Gauss on top for better peaking, more front armour, range 540 on the UAC10s and 660 on the Gauss gives better ranged punch and more consistent performance at mid-range
Cons - Weaker arms, slower on ST loss, less burst damage

[Edit] Add UAC10 Range Module to sync them up a little better [/Edit]

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 25 November 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:52 AM

Personally, I think the KDK is overrated. The only one I've had success with is the Spirit Bear. All of the others are either too hot, or require too much face time (especially the KDK-3) for solo play.

Edited by NRP, 25 November 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#19 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

What is the best free hosting for videos that does not require google? Preferably without all the money making mumbo jumbo. Just simple free video hosting. I have one of the KDK-3 build I want to share. 8)

Should I assume vimeo is recommended? NVM, Vimeo is a bit low on upload space. Is Dailymotion recommended for basic free hosting?

http://www.dailymoti...idge_videogames

Edited by Arugela, 25 November 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#20 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

View PostNRP, on 25 November 2016 - 11:52 AM, said:

Personally, I think the KDK is overrated. The only one I've had success with is the Spirit Bear. All of the others are either too hot, or require too much face time (especially the KDK-3) for solo play.

The KDK-3 is stronger with Gauss/ERPPC. Low face time and low heat 60 pt alpha strikes at 700 m. Can't beat that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users