How Many People Use The Steam Client Or Mwo Client?

46 replies to this topic

#1 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

Just curious

#2 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

Steam. I'm a colossal Steam prostitute (Damn this word filter, I wanna say *****).

Edited by Bombast, 20 October 2016 - 08:58 PM.

#3 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

Ahem, you do realize there is already a thread on this subject made not too long ago?

http://mwomercs.com/...e-before-steam/

Edited by RestosIII, 20 October 2016 - 09:14 PM.

#4 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

Steam ...also to add. steam has a player counter I was told MWO closed beta had a player counter and they removed it before open beta release. Why would they do that? I think they should put it back in

Edited by Green Mamba, 20 October 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#5 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

Steam but I bypass the Steam client when I launch the game.

#6 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

I've had a steam account for years and never used it

so no steam for me

#7 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

No Steam here. Im on WBB so need to use my data carefully.

#8 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:00 PM

View Postinvernomuto, on 20 October 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

Steam but I bypass the Steam client when I launch the game.

how do you do that?

View PostRestosIII, on 20 October 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

Ahem, you do realize there is already a thread on this subject made not too long ago?

http://mwomercs.com/...e-before-steam/

yea, but the only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that my current active leaderboard rank is 5000+ and the peak for steam in the last month was about 1.8k. Yet on one of imperious polls, 55% said they use steam over the game client. Something is not adding up

#9 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:04 PM

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by BLOOD WOLF. View it anyway?

I'm just assuming you're thanking me for pointing out the unnecessary nature of this thread.

Posted Image

Edited by RestosIII, 20 October 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#10 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:06 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 October 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

how do you do that?

yea, but the only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that my current active leaderboard rank is 5000+ and the peak for steam in the last month was about 1.8k. Yet on one of imperious polls, 55% said they use steam over the game client. Something is not adding up

5000 unique players have played at least one game. They don't all have to been on at once. It's not that complicated.

#11 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 20 October 2016 - 10:06 PM, said:

5000 unique players have played at least one game. They don't all have to been on at once. It's not that complicated.

the chance that they are all haphazard one shot players is slime. for one game they wouldn't be ahead of me.

I don't understand the notion that these are just 1 play ponies, the event thread announcement even got 7k views and it does not recount them like youtube does.

Once again, they may not play as often as some but the likely hood that even 2/3 or 75% of those players don't play the game is probably very small.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 October 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:15 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 October 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

the chance that they are all haphazard one shot players is slime. for one game they wouldn't be ahead of me.

I don't understand the notion that these are just 1 play ponies, the event thread announcement even got 7k views and it does not recount them like youtube does.

Last I checked, most of the top 50 people match score wise have below 10 games.

Also, Steam is likely over represented on the forums, as serious gamers willing to wade through a forum are more likely to play a bunch of games, which the probably got, you guessed it, through Steam.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:16 PM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 20 October 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

Once again, they may not play as often as some but the likely hood that even 2/3 or 75% of those players don't play the game is probably very small.

It's not that slim. The world has 7 billion people in it.

And they probably aren't just 1-play ponies, they've probably played multiple games.

#14 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:17 PM

Its not like one can only create one account. There are people having mutliple accounts. And all those have to be played to get free stuff if you dont want to miss out on them.

#15 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:47 PM

View PostBombast, on 20 October 2016 - 10:15 PM, said:

Last I checked, most of the top 50 people match score wise have below 10 games.

Also, Steam is likely over represented on the forums, as serious gamers willing to wade through a forum are more likely to play a bunch of games, which the probably got, you guessed it, through Steam.

I am not counting just the top 50. Everybody above me has played more games than I or a little less. It's way to much data to put together but I can probably estimate that everyone above me plays as much as I do, which isn't a lot but is now and again but it's regular enough in a weekday. that's still way more people than what steam shows.

I don't want to dismiss steam but it's obvious that it is an outlier. Also I don't know what you checked but when I just looked at it the mean game time was about 535 or something like that games played.

sorry. Steam is an outlier. It will be until it can produce accurate number or numbers that can correlate with other methods of data.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 October 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#16 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:58 PM

Why dont you ask Russ. Once he said it would be roughly about the same. Steam + Standalone Client.

#17 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:06 PM

View PostKotzi, on 20 October 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

Why dont you ask Russ. Once he said it would be roughly about the same. Steam + Standalone Client.

Good idea. From what I remember what he said in a townhall it was the opposite. He said that Steam has attracted players but not as much as everyone thought. Yea I'll ask

#18 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:10 PM

Signed up before steam... but only played post steam using steam

#19 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:22 AM

As a guess there is between 20k and 50k players. That's fairly accurate. About as accurate as anyone here will get anyway.

That number would slowly go down without some new content or marketing. Both of which are on the way this year to one degree or another. So that number is likely to rise by the end of the year, to one degree or another.

Paying customer % will only be going up. As more content is added and game quality improves.

There was nearly 1800 on at one time, on Steam alone, during one moment, just the other day. That means between 20k and 50k players over a month, more or less. As a guess.

1800 on Steam is very good numbers. Makes the game look really good all things considered. Anyone overly concerned about connection speed, or performance will not be using Steam, to maximize performance even if its by a tiny fraction. I myself do use Steam for a number of reasons. But I have the native client ready if I am ever going to get into a serious match. Steam itself has been improving over the last few years in a number of ways also.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#20 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:42 AM

I do.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users