If Pgi Would Relinquish Rights To Mechwarrior...

171 replies to this topic

#1 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

How long do you think before a another developer could pick it up and start working on a new MW Sim title?

Edited by Green Mamba, 20 October 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#2 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:16 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 20 October 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

How long do you think before a another developer could pick it up and start working on a new MW Sim title?

good question. How long was it since MW4 to MWO?

Also PGI is not going to relinquish the rights, and if another dev where to pick it up they would just do their best to replicate the work PGI did

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 20 October 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#3 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

Within the Decade

Sean Tracy (of Cloud Imperium Games) has expressed interest in a BattleTech game using the Star Engine
But, as above, probably a decade away before work would even start

Edited by Mcgral18, 20 October 2016 - 09:17 PM.

#4 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

about 7 years till the Smith and Tinker Video but now its proven that there still is a viable market for MW sim type games

#5 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:19 PM

If they relinquished it, HOPEFULLY Mechwarrior mods like Living Legends would be able to start up work again without getting slapped down, so it wouldn't take long for us to have something else to play. A proper dev company though? No clue. Niche IP, so it would have to be either someone's pet project, or pitched REALLY well to be picked up again, especially after all the bad press MW:O has generated in its lifetime.

#6 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:22 PM

I think much quicker than a decade due to a solid nostalgic fanbase that would come back.There are people I gamed with in early 2013 that just dropped this game like a hot potato early on and never came back

Would love the LL guys to get a hold of it

Edited by Green Mamba, 20 October 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:24 PM

A decade, probably. Whether it's PGI's fault or not, them relinquishing or losing the rights to Mechwarrior is an advertisement that the franchise isn't worth serious consideration, or at least not a multi-million dollar investment.

I'd question whether it would make a come back at all, really. While the fanbase is fairly dedicated, it's not large, and another giant gap would only serve to dilute it further. And giant mecha games in general don't seem to be doing so hot - Front Mission has taken a beating, Armored Core is in a position where I think people wished it was dead, and Gundum, while still being pushed out at an alarming rate, isn't as impressive as it once was.

#8 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 20 October 2016 - 09:19 PM, said:

If they relinquished it, HOPEFULLY Mechwarrior mods like Living Legends would be able to start up work again without getting slapped down, so it wouldn't take long for us to have something else to play. A proper dev company though? No clue. Niche IP, so it would have to be either someone's pet project, or pitched REALLY well to be picked up again, especially after all the bad press MW:O has generated in its lifetime.

The best part of this for me is knowing that adherence to the lore and title denied people of another mechwarrior title.
Posted Image
Call it sadism, but a new title would have been interesting. I appreciate the art of video game development, and we really lack IP.

Edited by Snowbluff, 20 October 2016 - 09:27 PM.

#9 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:25 PM

The HBS game was started fairly quickly after the MW tactics collapse so I think only a couple years

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:35 PM

And they called my MWO2 idea mad :D

I think not long.. since it's clear there's a market out there.. and if done properly, a new MW game would attract new fans, cose' the MW / BT setting is so different from anything out there right now.

If MWO delivered on it's potential, players would number in the hundreds of thousands or even millions, but since it's BT stripped to the bone, and the game got a bunch of bad reviews, its just a niche game.

If MWO was developed by saaaay, Black Isle, or Blizzard, or even Bethesda, it would have been a smash hit.

But.. PGI.

Not intended on trashing PGI, it's just a simple fact they've not used Battletech's potential as a setting.

#11 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

View PostGreen Mamba, on 20 October 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

Possibly another 10-12 years.

#12 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

Its all about the dough. Wouldnt know that an IP can only be licensed once. If you got the money go for it. Ask MS. But Mechwarrior and Battletech games were no financial success afaik. So the interest is low i guess.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:03 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 20 October 2016 - 11:35 PM, said:

And they called my MWO2 idea mad :D

I think not long.. since it's clear there's a market out there.. and if done properly, a new MW game would attract new fans, cose' the MW / BT setting is so different from anything out there right now.

If MWO delivered on it's potential, players would number in the hundreds of thousands or even millions, but since it's BT stripped to the bone, and the game got a bunch of bad reviews, its just a niche game.

If MWO was developed by saaaay, Black Isle, or Blizzard, or even Bethesda, it would have been a smash hit.

But.. PGI.

Not intended on trashing PGI, it's just a simple fact they've not used Battletech's potential as a setting.

Its a good idea if its an upgrade of this game, or version 2.0.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:02 AM

I'm pretty sure the IP will be grabbed up by another developer, for more kickstarter campaign. When that happens I would help fund it.

I hoped for 3 years for PGI to gather their **** together. I wouldn't be too sad if the servers are shut down tomorrow.

#15 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,725 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:50 AM

25 years, so enjoy the wait OP

#16 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:00 AM

This IP is now and for the foreseeable future linked to PGI. PGI has made this IP an arena shooter based exclusively on pokemech and power creep of same. I can't imagine the effort and cost in marketing it would take to eliminate that association in the gaming community and convince those same people (or new players) that some new version of this game, from whatever company, is somehow not going to be the same damn thing.

That said, if PGI's books show that they have made a fortune, and they or more likely microsoft share that info with prospective future licensees, then yeah, someone will pick it up and make another go of it fairly quickly. But I doubt that the books show such a windfall opportunity; in which case I think this will be the last MechWarrior (FPS) style game for a very long time (after it goes dark).

#17 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:42 AM

1. PGI would never just relinquish the rights, unless it wasn't profitable. Seeing how they aren't closing servers, I can only assume they are making money.

2. I doubt any company creating a f2p model game will be much different than this. I don't think any big company will acquire the rights, as they can more easily make their own ip and have a dedicated fab base of the company to buy the game.

3. A game designed around the standard MW single person campaign will most likely be unbalanced for multiplayer. I would expect the usual need to acquire heavier and heavier mechs, capped off with the end game using Clan tech almost exclusively.

#18 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

You never know. A better Developer might look at this and think to themselves, "Well the clowns that ran this game actually made it work despite being serially incompetent, we can do better than that", and pick it up soon after.

It would be interesting to see how a different developer designed the game.

#19 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 21 October 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

You never know. A better Developer might look at this and think to themselves, "Well the clowns that ran this game actually made it work despite being serially incompetent, we can do better than that", and pick it up soon after.

It would be interesting to see how a different developer designed the game.

It could change hands but the price tag would be crazy. I don't mind guessing about almost anything, but I wouldn't hazard a guess about how much trying to buy MechWarrior Online would cost.

Its in the realm of the Star Wars title. Not equal value of course, but its in that realm. In my opinion the Battletech/Mechwarrior title is worth more than the Star Trek title for example, not even close. I always think of Battletech as having Aerotech though.

Star Wars has mechs in every one of its trailers lately. Posted Image Heres the newest one.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#20 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 21 October 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure the IP will be grabbed up by another developer, for more kickstarter campaign. When that happens I would help fund it. I hoped for 3 years for PGI to gather their **** together. I wouldn't be too sad if the servers are shut down tomorrow.

If you are thinking it would be anything but F2P and MWOesque it's possible. Anyone else trying to do a B2P with mirco transactions or stand alone release based around single player campaigns like previous MW games, like nope.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users