If Pgi Would Relinquish Rights To Mechwarrior...

171 replies to this topic

#41 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:55 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

Easy to say now but Star Wars was all but forgotten for many years.

The Star Wars IP has been in continuous use since A New Hope was released. That's almost 40 years. And at it's lowest point it was still generating more money (And had a larger fanbase) in a year then Battletech/Mechwarrior has in it's best year.

#42 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

less than 5 years and I'd wager more in the 2-3 range.

Reasons

1) The 10 year gap was because at the time you needed a solid production company to fund the game. With the crowd funding options available today. that's not a huge impediment.

2) Some very talented people with a passion created MW:LL. Yes, it was a mod but was a mod solely because they could not afford to do it another way since it was free. With Crowd funding, that may not be the case the next go round.

So, If a talented group of game programmers gets together and does a demo and puts it up on kickstarter, I'd see it being funded in short order. It would then be up to them to do what PGI has failed to do on so many fronts.... deliver.

#43 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostBombast, on 21 October 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

The Star Wars IP has been in continuous use since A New Hope was released. That's almost 40 years. And at it's lowest point it was still generating more money (And had a larger fanbase) in a year then Battletech/Mechwarrior has in it's best year.

Star Wars was a full live action movie with cutting edge effects and an incredible story. Everything else took off from there.

If Mechwarrior/Battletech took one of the books and did that, who know where this IP would be. Trying to compare the two isn't worth it though.

#44 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

View PostBombast, on 21 October 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

MechWarrior has made a game or two before that made a few dollars. This would be MechWarrior 5 after all, not to mention the board game and books.

I guess its about potential and what the market wants and money and all sorts of things.

#45 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

It could change hands but the price tag would be crazy. I don't mind guessing about almost anything, but I wouldn't hazard a guess about how much trying to buy MechWarrior Online would cost.

Its in the realm of the Star Wars title. Not equal value of course, but its in that realm. In my opinion the Battletech/Mechwarrior title is worth more than the Star Trek title for example, not even close. I always think of Battletech as having Aerotech though.

Star Wars has mechs in every one of its trailers lately. Posted Image Heres the newest one.

What in the *bleep* are you smoking and can I get some of whatever it is???

Edited by WarHippy, 21 October 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#46 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

worth more than the Star Trek title

Posted Image

That is some Grade-A overestimation of the Battletech IP's value.

#47 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 21 October 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

That is some Grade-A overestimation of the Battletech IP's value.

Why do you say that?

The Star Trek movies are not doing that great. STO is on its last legs.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 11:29 AM.

#48 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

MechWarrior has made a game or two before that made a few dollars. This would be MechWarrior 5 after all, not to mention the board game and books.

I guess its about potential and what the market wants and money and all sorts of things.

Mechwarrior certainly has had a handful of games and books, but it is still dwarfed by the games and books produced for Star Wars and Star Trek even during their "down times" in popularity(and that doesn't even touch on other merchandise).

#49 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

PGI has the bar set so low it wouldn't be hard for a new developer to blow MWO out of the water.

#50 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Mechwarrior certainly has had a handful of games and books, but it is still dwarfed by the games and books produced for Star Wars and Star Trek even during their "down times" in popularity(and that doesn't even touch on other merchandise).

Leave it to Johnny Z to overstate things that have little basis in reality.

*insert "Just Stahp" meme here*

#51 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

Star Trek board games are not even close to Battletech Board games. Books? Neither were that popular. Games? MechWarrior Online could be 10x the game STO is, by virtue of its being newer alone.

The strategy Battletech game coming out is way better than any other Star Trek game title out.

I think they are beating a dead horse with Star Trek.

I think the Batteletech title is worth way more. Way.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#52 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

lol
https://en.wikipedia...ries)#Reception

Edited by Ghogiel, 21 October 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#53 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:34 AM

Why do you say that?

Well for one thing Star Trek has a new series about to start on CBS(although due to CBS shenanigans it will probably fail). When was the last time Battletech/Mechwarrior had a TV series? 20+ years ago and even then it was a short lived cartoon. As for movies as much as I hate the new ones they have produced a great deal more money than anything Battletech/Mechwarrior has by a long shot. You are simply delusional if you think the Battletech IP is worth anywhere near the same level as the Star Trek IP no matter how much some of us love Battletech.

#54 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

Well for one thing Star Trek has a new series about to start on CBS(although due to CBS shenanigans it will probably fail). When was the last time Battletech/Mechwarrior had a TV series? 20+ years ago and even then it was a short lived cartoon. As for movies as much as I hate the new ones they have produced a great deal more money than anything Battletech/Mechwarrior has by a long shot. You are simply delusional if you think the Battletech IP is worth anywhere near the same level as the Star Trek IP no matter how much some of us love Battletech.

I didn't say they were worth near the same, I said Battletech/Mechwarrior is worth more.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 11:37 AM.

#55 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:36 AM

Why do you say that?

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

I didn't say they were worth near the same, I said Battletech is worth more.

Posted Image

I don't know what else to say. I just... Wow.

For context, the Star Trek IP has been worth AROUND $4,000,000,000 to Paramount. I don't think Battletech is anywhere near that.

Edited by RestosIII, 21 October 2016 - 11:39 AM.

#56 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

I don't think CBS will try to screw it up. You have to remember that the last ST based show was on a lesser network called UPN, that eventually merged with the WB, but inevitably got acquired by CBS... the other previous shows (before the original Star Trek series) were syndicated IIRC (they were not linked to any network). There's been time since the last ST show, so I think there's a chance of a decent revival given the right circumstances and content.

#57 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 21 October 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

Posted Image

I don't know what else to say. I just... Wow.

I just pointed out Battletech/MechWarrior have 2 new games out while Star Trek has one on life support. That Battletech board games are worth way more than anything Star Trek has had. Also the other points I made.

I think you and the ones throwing money at failing Star Trek movies are the ones that are delusional. :)

#58 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

I didn't say they were worth near the same, I said Battletech/Mechwarrior is worth more.

It's not worth more when there exist multitudes of content for the other stuff you've named... it's not just movies, but video games and toys (Lego is a huge beneficiary of any Star Wars lego build) and those generate far more money than... whatever Battletech has produced.

It is simply not even in the same space than the things you are comparing them to.

#59 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:41 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:

Star Trek board games are not even close to Battletech Board games. Books? Neither were that popular. Games? MechWarrior Online could be 10x the game STO is, by virtue of its being newer alone.

The strategy Battletech game coming out is way better than any other Star Trek game title out.

I think they are beating a dead horse with Star Trek.

I think the Batteletech title is worth way more. Way.
The new Battletech game may and probably will be better than current game offerings for Star Trek, but Star Trek is still a colossal IP giant when it comes to value vs Battletech which sadly is mostly unknown to the vast majority of people.

You are flat out wrong. It isn't even up for debate the Star Trek IP is worth vastly more than Battletech/Mechwarrior likely ever will be.

#60 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 11:39 AM, said:

I just pointed out Battletech/MechWarrior have 2 new games out while Star Trek has one on life support. That Battletech board games are worth way more than anything Star Trek has had. Also the other points I made.

I think you and the ones throwing money at failing Star Trek movies are the ones that are delusional. Posted Image

Posted Image

Okay, do you genuinely have no clue what name recognition is? Or what determines the value of an IP period?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users