If Pgi Would Relinquish Rights To Mechwarrior...

171 replies to this topic

#81 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

This reminds me of other arguments like if the Unseen mechs would even make it into the game. I guess time will tell and you guys can gloat about being right or apologize to me about being so wrong. Posted Image Please no pm's, apologize in general chat. Posted Image

There is no argument here as you are flat out wrong. This isn't up for debate you are simply and completely wrong.

#82 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:16 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

There is no argument here as you are flat out wrong. This isn't up for debate you are simply and completely wrong.

I think your wrong and money wasted doesn't make one title worth more than another title. They can throw as much money down a pit at Star Trek as they want.

You think there is a line up to buy that title? Really?

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#83 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 20 October 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Within the Decade

Sean Tracy (of Cloud Imperium Games) has expressed interest in a BattleTech game using the Star Engine
But, as above, probably a decade away before work would even start

A Battletech game in Star Engine would be absolutely incredible. A game engine that would allow multiple actual sized planets and star systems with dropships able to drop mechs anywhere on the planets without instancing.

We could for the first time have a game playable on the same scale as the lore. Not to mention climbing in and out of your mech at will to do stuff on foot, and the possibility of playing the whole thing in VR.

With the engine and technical aspects already researched and polished by Star Citizen it could probably be done relatively cheaply too.

#84 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostOtto Cannon, on 21 October 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

A Battletech game in Star Engine would be absolutely incredible. A game engine that would allow multiple actual sized planets and star systems with dropships able to drop mechs anywhere on the planets without instancing.

We could for the first time have a game playable on the same scale as the lore. Not to mention climbing in and out of your mech at will to do stuff on foot, and the possibility of playing the whole thing in VR.

With the engine and technical aspects already researched and polished by Star Citizen it could probably be done relatively cheaply too.

Star Citizen was already made and it failed. They have to dodge that bullet. Some may know what I am talking about. It was on Cryengine as well.

Its called Project Entropia. Garbage game at the moment and has been for nearly a decade. It had a lot of money thrown at it by players. Some players took out big loans even.

Do not go near this game it is a scam. Really. Unless some huge changes are made DONT GO NEAR IT. REALLY. Have to pay real money to fire your gun. Real money for ammo. Read that again. Guns and armor break, pay real money to buy more. I am not kidding.

Star Citizen may turn out better but it has to dodge all the mistakes this game made. They look identical.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#85 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:26 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 12:09 PM, said:

Yes, but those other paid access streaming services that I can watch previous Star Trek series on have a much more diverse catalog of content than CBS all access is going to have. CBS is trying to sell me on a streaming service that is $5.99 with commercials or $9.99 without commercials to watch a new Star Trek series and 400 variations of NCIS. It just isn't going to happen. Even if there is a bunch of people willing to do that how many are even aware it is happening? I foresee a lot of people watching the first episode and thinking it is a pilot for a potential new series that never materializes and six months later think to themselves whatever happened to that new series?

I personally don't know what licensing deals were done with other providers (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc.) so I plead ignorance there. I just remember some stuff was advertised to be CBS's property (by extension anyways).

I guess the question will be... is the pilot going to get that old feeling back? That's the one that matters most. (Besides, if you find other resources to "catch" the show, that will give people an idea of stuff - it's not like everyone's truly finding a "friend" to watch Game of Thrones/Breaking Bad/"whatever popular non-major network TV show" right?)

That would certainly be more workable, but I still find it unlikely to work if they insist on their own streaming service given their less than diverse catalog.

Well, it's an experiment that they will have to figure out on their own (and it'll most likely backfire). There's plenty of existing examples of successful transitions... but then again some people want to break those trends... instead of being realistic (unless they find that show that "defines" the network for a generation...).

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Star Citizen was already made and it failed. They have to dodge that bullet. Some may know what I am talking about. It was on Cryengine as well.

It "failed"? By what arbitrary metric or reasoning? The hyperbole is strong in this one.

#86 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

I think your wrong and money wasted doesn't make one title worth more than another title. They can throw as much money down a pit at Star Trek as they want.

You think there is a line up to buy that title? Really?

You can think whatever you like, but I know *you're* wrong. They throw money at Star Trek because it has a proven track record of generating revenue. Battletech flat out does not compare to Star Trek in the value/revenue/recognition department, and that is an unquestionable fact.

#87 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

You can think whatever you like, but I know *you're* wrong. They throw money at Star Trek because it has a proven track record of generating revenue. Battletech flat out does not compare to Star Trek in the value/revenue/recognition department, and that is an unquestionable fact.

Maybe recognition. But value, you couldn't be more wrong. I would be surprised if another movie comes out. A good MechWarrior movie would be way better. That's why it is worth more.

So now we all agree. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#88 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:32 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Its called Project Entropia. Garbage game at the moment and has been for nearly a decade. It had a lot of money thrown at it by players. Some players took out big loans even.

Do not go near this game it is a scam. Really. Unless some huge changes are made DONT GO NEAR IT. REALLY. Have to pay real money to fire your gun. Real money for ammo. Read that again.

Star Citizen may turn out better but it has to dodge all the mistakes this game made. They look identical.

There are lots of things that we have the technology for these days which wouldn't have worked ten years ago. Not to mention the elite dev team and huge budget that SC has. I don't see any point trying to directly compare it to an ancient failed pay-to-win game.

#89 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 October 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

I personally don't know what licensing deals were done with other providers (Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, etc.) so I plead ignorance there. I just remember some stuff was advertised to be CBS's property (by extension anyways).

I guess the question will be... is the pilot going to get that old feeling back? That's the one that matters most. (Besides, if you find other resources to "catch" the show, that will give people an idea of stuff - it's not like everyone's truly finding a "friend" to watch Game of Thrones/Breaking Bad/"whatever popular non-major network TV show" right?)

Well, it's an experiment that they will have to figure out on their own (and it'll most likely backfire). There's plenty of existing examples of successful transitions... but then again some people want to break those trends... instead of being realistic (unless they find that show that "defines" the network for a generation...).

It "failed"? By what arbitrary metric or reasoning? The hyperbole is strong in this one.

I'm so glad your arguing with me about if Entropia failed or not.

It didn't just fail it is an epic fail. Of epic proportions. I truly pity any of the players that put any money into it. They would be the first to agree with me. That game is dead as in nothing goes on at all even pve because it costs real money to do so. In the entire space if one ship is moving its a big thing.

Will it be improved? I don't know, everyone says it wont.

How can a Star Citizen game with only one ship moving in space not be considered a failure?

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#90 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Maybe recognition. But value, you couldn't be more wrong. I would be surprised if another movie comes out.

The scripts being written, the plots already done, and they've contracted the cast already.

Hell, they've even already decided not to recast Chekov, and Hemsworth has already agreed to come back to reprise his roll as Papa Kirk.

Edited by Bombast, 21 October 2016 - 12:38 PM.

#91 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:41 PM

View PostBombast, on 21 October 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

The scripts being written, the plots already done, and they've contracted the cast already.

Hell, they've even already decided not to recast Chekov, and Hemsworth has already agreed to come back to reprise his roll as Papa Kirk.

You got me. :) I am surprised. :)

#92 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:36 PM, said:

I'm so glad your arguing with me about if Entropia failed or not.

It didn't just fail it is an epic fail. Of epic proportions. I truly pity any of the players that put any money into it. They would be the first to agree with me. That game is dead as in nothing goes on at all even pve because it costs real money to do so. In the entire space if one ship is moving its a big thing.

Will it be improved? I don't know, everyone says it wont.

How can a Star Citizen game with only one ship moving in space not be considered a failure?

Um, Entropia isn't Star Citizen.

Please don't suggest one as the other.

#93 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 October 2016 - 12:26 PM, said:

Pirates are not what kept/keep those shows on the air, and with regard to Star Trek there are a lot of older fans as well that are not going to be as aware or proficient enough to catch the show using those other sources in a lot of cases. As for that old feeling I just don't know. From what I recall the show is going to be from the perspective of a crew member(engineer I think?) on the ship and will mostly avoid the traditional bridge crew dynamic.

I just don't see this working out for CBS and by extension Star Trek.

#94 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 21 October 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

Um, Entropia isn't Star Citizen.

Please don't suggest one as the other.

Just saying they are not the same game doesn't make it so. They are nearly identical in concept. True Star Citizen should have a better business model, but the other problems are still on the table.

I really do hope Star Citizen is an amazing game, but everyone should be a bit nervous after Entropia Universe.

I can show more videos of Entropia Universe ground game. Looks just like Star Citizen. Better in some ways even.

This is a scam video don't go near this game.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#95 Kirkland Langue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

When I think about how PGI, and many of the players on these forums, believe that an Urbanmech should have the same killing potential as a Kodiak - it makes me throw up a little bit. People comparing this game to Battletech, bah.

With that said, I'd like to see Wargaming pick up the title - they know how to make tiered matches which allow for disparity in platform power while still allowing for individual battles to be balanced.

#96 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostKirkland Langue, on 21 October 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

When I think about how PGI, and many of the players on these forums, believe that an Urbanmech should have the same killing potential as a Kodiak - it makes me throw up a little bit. People comparing this game to Battletech, bah.

With that said, I'd like to see Wargaming pick up the title - they know how to make tiered matches which allow for disparity in platform power while still allowing for individual battles to be balanced.

Yuck

#97 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Pirates are not what kept/keep those shows on the air, and with regard to Star Trek there are a lot of older fans as well that are not going to be as aware or proficient enough to catch the show using those other sources in a lot of cases. As for that old feeling I just don't know. From what I recall the show is going to be from the perspective of a crew member(engineer I think?) on the ship and will mostly avoid the traditional bridge crew dynamic.

I just don't see this working out for CBS and by extension Star Trek.

I'm not saying that at all.. rather that people will find a way to catch it... and at the end of the day... the quality of the content will decide the show's fate.

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Just saying they are not the same game doesn't make it so. They are nearly identical in concept. True Star Citizen should have a better business model, but the other problems are still on the table.

I really do hope Star Citizen is an amazing game, but everyone should be a bit nervous after Entropia Universe.

I can show more videos of Entropia Universe ground game. Looks just like Star Citizen. Better even.

This is a scam video don't go near this game.

At this point, your logical "leaps of faith" are as bad as many other things you say.

Translation: You have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't think anyone has literally said those words. Making Lights as useful as the next class is all people are asking for... so I don't know how you're translating that at all. "Useful" in my context doesn't mean "equal power level of damage dealing"... they have to serve a purpose that's "equal" to the purpose of an Assault... in which the game modes don't present that at all.

#98 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 October 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Maybe recognition. But value, you couldn't be more wrong. I would be surprised if another movie comes out. A good MechWarrior movie would be way better. That's why it is worth more.

So now we all agree. Posted Image

If anyone valued or even saw the potential value at half of what you think Battletech has we would already have a multi movie franchise made or being made with various TV series in the works and merchandise/commercial tie ins etc.. While I think Battletech is ripe with potential for all sorts of formats it simply does not have the value of a franchise such as Star Trek and very likely never will. You might be able to argue that Battletech has more potential than Star Trek if given a fair shake, but as for actual value Star Trek eclipses Battletech many many times over.

#99 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

...believe that an Urbanmech should have the same killing potential as a Kodiak...

What do you mean, should? Don't you mean 'does?'

Posted Image

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever heard people say that about lights. People usually say that they want lights to be as viable as heavies and assaults. It's largely an opinion fight on whether that's true or not already at the moment.

Honestly, I wonder if maybe the fix is just to change how the game rewards certain actions. Right now, the games rewards are heavily skewed on damage - Maybe if things like TAG, NARC, and spotting in general were rewarded more, that would sort everything out.

#100 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 October 2016 - 01:02 PM, said:

If anyone valued or even saw the potential value at half of what you think Battletech has we would already have a multi movie franchise made or being made with various TV series in the works and merchandise/commercial tie ins etc.. While I think Battletech is ripe with potential for all sorts of formats it simply does not have the value of a franchise such as Star Trek and very likely never will. You might be able to argue that Battletech has more potential than Star Trek if given a fair shake, but as for actual value Star Trek eclipses Battletech many many times over.

I think its very obvious why but they instead enjoy throwing money in money pits. There are a lot of movies made, same with games. Some are great, some are not. You think recent Star Trek movies are great? Good for you. I prefer better movies.

No one will buy Star Trek unless its a bail out. There would be a long line for MechWarrior/Battletech, its worth way WAY more than Star Trek.

Battletech/MechWarrior movies have not been made in the past because they have been to expensive to be done right. Period. Have to see what the future brings.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 October 2016 - 01:16 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users