18 replies to this topic

#1 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:12 AM

Y'know...with population so low that the matchmaker has given up trying, it seems a bit ridiculous to penalize team damagers by making them wait for a match even longer.

Who cares about 8 seconds when you're going to be sitting there for at least 3 minutes anyway?

#2 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:13 AM

wait? you have info on the pop numbers?

1k-5k-10k? where around? can i get an estimate

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 23 October 2016 - 04:13 AM.

#3 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:25 AM

Dude. It's a freaking potato harvest that takes way too long to get into. That's the point.

#4 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:17 AM

Stop shooting your own team.

#5 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 October 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

Dude. It's a freaking potato harvest that takes way too long to get into. That's the point.

you make good point there

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 23 October 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

wait? you have info on the pop numbers?

1k-5k-10k? where around? can i get an estimate

No estimate needed. Russ said there was an increase in population over the summer. Everything is fine. What these naysayers are experiencing over, and over, and over, and over, and over again...for months now...is all an illusion. Everything is better than fine.

#7 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:28 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 23 October 2016 - 05:24 AM, said:

No estimate needed. Russ said there was an increase in population over the summer. Everything is fine. What these naysayers are experiencing over, and over, and over, and over, and over again...for months now...is all an illusion. Everything is better than fine.

russ also said the steam numbers are nowhere near the Client numbers. So do we just start believing in anything we want? is my house made of gold because I said so?

I rather have the estimate thank you. If your boss said your paycheck is being held for safe keeping you would be quick to start asking questions. So if you would be so kind as to give me accurate none-steam numbers that will be great

#8 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:31 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 23 October 2016 - 05:28 AM, said:

russ also said the steam numbers are nowhere near the Client numbers. So do we just start believing in anything we want? is my house made of gold because I said so?

I rather have the estimate thank you. If your boss said your paycheck is being held for safe keeping you would be quick to start asking questions. So if you would be so kind as to give me accurate none-steam numbers that will be great

Hush child. You have no need for information.
Russ says the "core game mechanics" are fine, player numbers are fine.
It is his game and only he may tell us of its wonders.
Its glorious future will be revealed at Mechcon.
Everything is fine.

#9 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:03 AM

All you have to do is add the Steamcharts numbers with the ingame client counter numbers for an accurate population total...They still have the player counter that they had in closed beta right? Posted Image

#10 A Shoddy Rental Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOn my Island, There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Steam numbers were in steady decline until....

PGI started running events every weekend. Well, they did miss 1 weekend out of the last 20, but that probably won't happen again. Good news is now you don't even have to go 24 hours between events. Bad news is, if you buy one of the new mechpacks, you don't get time to level it before they start HUNT(sman)ing you.

#11 Miodog

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 23 October 2016 - 05:31 AM, said:

Hush child. You have no need for information.
Russ says the "core game mechanics" are fine, player numbers are fine.
It is his game and only he may tell us of its wonders.
Its glorious future will be revealed at Mechcon.
Everything is fine.

Posted Image

#12 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

I find it more telling that PGI is putting on events that require people to log in and play each and every day.

#13 Ssamout

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationPihalla

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostThe Nerf Bat, on 23 October 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Bad news is, if you buy one of the new mechpacks, you don't get time to level it before they start HUNT(sman)ing you.

Ah, but that's what the gxp is for! What else to do with it than level new mechs before the hunt begins.

#14 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

This entire thread is resolved by not shooting the daylights out of your team mates.

8 seconds for example is a penalty designed to make you try and not shoot team mates, it is very clearly still working as intended, as you very clearly do care about the 8 seconds seeing as you posted this thread, to answer your own question.

Furthermore, you are misusing the word "ironic" on such a flimsy premise of "irony" of which there is very little, and as such you should feel bad. Go flog yourself with a wet noodle.

Edited by Xocoyol Zaraoul, 23 October 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#15 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:06 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 October 2016 - 04:25 AM, said:

I really don't have to wait too long to get into a match. What seems to take the longest is waiting for the game to start up once I actually get the match. I mean 1.5 minute waiting for everyone to connect is a bit much.

#16 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:03 AM

The game is now overall slower than it used to be before the Night Gyr patch, but I still get into QP matches easily.

FW matches are near-impossible to get into tho..

#17 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:47 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 October 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

Y'know...with population so low that the matchmaker has given up trying, it seems a bit ridiculous to penalize team damagers by making them wait for a match even longer.

Who cares about 8 seconds when you're going to be sitting there for at least 3 minutes anyway?

Very weird logic.

1.)
If you wait 3 minutes anyway, why even bother making a thread about 8 seconds?

2.)
You know that the penality stacks up, do you not?
The initial 8 seconds are more like a friendly reminder that team damage is not good and that a penalty is implemented to punish repeated team damaging with increasing force.

3.)
I never wait more than a couple of seconds or 1 minute.
And I'm not even in the US prime time zone.
Let me guess. You're playing only on one server with nothing but heavies in the overcrowded heavy queue and complain there are too many people playing heavy?

Conclusion: you should go see a doctor to check your head.

Edited by Paigan, 24 October 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#18 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 23 October 2016 - 04:12 AM, said:

My Tier 5 real life friend, whom btw has been playing this game a lot longer than me, is so bad that he gets 20 + minute penalties for team kills regularly. Lost count of how many times he's actually killed one of us in QP and scouting missions. The few times I've been able to spectate through his cockpit (normally he's the first to die) I see him panicking and missing shots all over the place. In scouting missions we TRY to keep him in STREAK boats because that's the only way he can hit anything. Still, I've eaten way too many of his STREAKs. We all have and then we often have to wait to queue up again until his penalty vanish from team killing us or someone else the game before. Freaking Keystone Cop!

His K/D ratio in a Kodiak 3, the only Assault he plays, is like 0.23 even in Tier 5 after playing for over a year. I'm not making this up! Wish i was!

I'd tell y'all his user name so you could see his leader board stats but believe that's against the ToS even if he is my friend.

Edited to add that I just went back and checked his leaderboard stats for this month and his K/D ratio is actually up to 0.42 with a grand total of 46 kills in just 139 games. He must be getting better at using Tier 5 pug teammates as meat shields!

Edited by Belacose, 24 October 2016 - 04:52 AM.

#19 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:47 AM

I don't mind waiting.

It's the carry-the-potatos-against-impossible-odds missions that come after the wait that bug me.

It is very hard to level new Mechs when the matchmaker is working on the assumption that you'll go full meta and carry.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users