- - - - -

Can You Get Johnny Five Achievement In Invasion Game?

29 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

I do only play Light Mechs myself and have big problem with getting certain achievements like Johnny Five. What would be best way of getting it?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

Nope. Only QP.

As for the best way...practice, I guess?

Edited by TercieI, 24 October 2016 - 10:36 AM.

#3 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

Nope..

You can get it in a light though.. I've done it once or twice, i really cant count total in all classes, maybe 10-15?.. It all really comes down to luck. ace of spades needs even more luck!. Played about 5k drops so it is pretty rare, and really is more about luck than anything. (unless you play a Kodiak 3 )

Only way to get deathstar (12) IMO is EXTREME luck, or in a group with people helping you..

View PostTercieI, on 24 October 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Nope. Only QP.

Solo or group though

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 October 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 24 October 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Only way to get deathstar (12) IMO is EXTREME luck, or in a group with people helping you..

Both would be better. The VAST majority of Death Stars are due to server glitch farming.

For top level players, Johnny Five is a daily or nearly so event and Ace of Spades is not extremely rare, but Death Star still takes some extremely weird circumstances.

Edited by TercieI, 24 October 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#5 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

Would it be easier to do it as Tier 5 pilot?

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 24 October 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Depends on whether you're really a Tier 5 or a good player playing an alt. My alt account had two 7-kill games in its first ten games in Tier 5 (in trials)...and I was playing way too aggro for Tier 5 and had some derpy deaths.

Edited by TercieI, 24 October 2016 - 11:40 AM.

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostTercieI, on 24 October 2016 - 10:57 AM, said:

Both would be better. The VAST majority of Death Stars are due to server glitch farming.

For top level players, Johnny Five is a daily or nearly so event and Ace of Spades is not extremely rare, but Death Star still takes some extremely weird circumstances.

I did not know that glitch thingy.. But to the other, I guess i'm not a top player. Posted Image But i could see how really good players on certain mechs could get it more often. Picking your time to fire and such, and higher alpha hits. But in the QP solo cue, i'm always locking targets, and i can't tell you how many times i miss out on a kill because of LRM rain, or get 3-4 KMMD's, and no kills.. Maybe i need to work on my timing! Posted Image

I do think it also has to do with builds as well, I know i am far more likely to get kills playing certain IS mechs, than my Clanners, (no i don't own a kodiak) Oddly i do better getting kills in my shadow cat, over my Stormcrow. But even in my IS mechs, i know if i run certain ones i can rack up kills much easier, than others. Other builds do better at getting KMMD and so on.

But to the OP:
Tiercel is right, Work on your skills, and timing is part of that. Often holding your fire, for better timing, will yield you the kill, and not just more damage, Or if you see LRM's raining down in larger groups, like from 15's or 20's, fire right after they hit, not before. It's things like that, that can make a big difference.

#8 Kimberm1911

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Earth......

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:56 PM

It kind of does depend on the chassis you play. I love to play assaults, and I get 3-5 kills quite often in them. (Except with the Dire Wolf. That mech is killing my stats...... I hate it (But I also love it because 6 LBX 5 is hilarous.) However, if you know what you're doing, it isn't exactly super difficult to get a lot of kills in mechs that deal 50+ damage alphas. That being said, I have some friends who are amazing light pilots and get 5 kills quite frequently. I think you have to be willing to KS a bit in a light.

#9 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:56 AM

Well I got Johnny Five in QP but considering I've gotten more than 8 kills in a FP match and didn't get Ace of Spades I can only assume that Johnny Five cannot be earned in FP either.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

It would be way too easy to get those awards in a FP game, in quick play I have only broken 1000 damage once but in faction play I have broken 2000 more than once, in quick play I have not yet got the ace of spades but have got 6 kills a few times in light Mechs (on one occasion with 4 solo kills) but I have had 16 kills before in an invasion match, and I am not a great player.

If faction play counted I would have earned "death star" several times over

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

The titles and challenge would not mean much if you could get them in FW.

Deathstar would be about as impressive as getting 4 or 5 kills in pug que. BFD

#12 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:49 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 24 October 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

It would, because if you are good enough to get it you ain't in tier 5 long, or even tier 4. Even my drunk *** manages it at a rate that surprises me. The 8 and 12 kill benchmarks will probably forever elude me.

#13 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

I can get 3-4 kills sometimes with 500-700dmg without stealing kills. How much damage would it technically be for 5 kills average? Without kill-steal sniping.

#14 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 28 October 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

I can get 3-4 kills sometimes with 500-700dmg without stealing kills. How much damage would it technically be for 5 kills average? Without kill-steal sniping.

Hard to say, so many factors. Ie - A well placed headshot can result in a solo kill with little damage.

#15 Dalziel Hasek Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationOxfordshire, UK

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

How do you kill a 'Mech? Critical damage / component destruction on one of a few locations:
  • Cockpit
  • Centre torso
  • Side torso (if IS XL engine, or second side torso for Clan XL engines)
  • Last remaining leg
  • Possibly location with ammo without CASE (largely IS 'Mechs with ammo in them)
Just from the above list, assuming you can't hit the cockpit reliably and don't always know which enemies have ammo left to hit, you need to be looking at prioritising legs or centre torsos, the latter preferably from behind. You may think about increasingly hitting the side torso of IS 'Mechs that routinely carry XL engines (light 'Mechs or certain other chassis), but that's about experience and finesse.

The choice of "going low" and always aiming at legs is either situational (ie. just look for enemies with one leg left) or you have to go all-out, preferably as a team, to increase the proportion of legged enemies. If you aim low, you will either miss, or hit one of two locations (left or right leg). If you aim high you will either miss, or hit one of six locations (H, CT, LT, RT, LA, RA). The enemy may be able to twist or arm-shield to spread damage over upper body components, but can only protect against leg damage through use of terrain - which is more in your control. However you are more likely to miss low than high because legs are smaller.

To land killing blows more effectively in-game you need to 1) find the enemy, be in range and able to fire on them 2) know where to hit them 3) hit them. You can improve your ability to do all three of these things as you play.

The first is down to map knowledge, use of terrain, path choice, modules that improve sensors, weapon ranges and speed of 'Mech, team communication and choices about how to optimise engagement range.

The second is down to routinely using the R key when you have the target lined up, knowledge of target 'Mechs and the modules you pick to improve speed of targeting data - as well as understanding how to interpret the enemy ragdoll data.

The third is down to your ability to fire weapons on target - which is often about choice of weapon loadout - and each weapon type has different skills to master (using LRMs effectively is different to using ERPPCs, is different to using C-SPLs or UACs. Some weapons and builds builds are better designed for critting/killing, than eroding armour.

The last and intangible factors in improving the number of killing blows you land is patience and timing. Killing blows don't come early in the game (enemy is fresh), and only a few come late in the game (lack of targets). There is a moment, in each game, where the enemy team is vulnerable - many are damaged with open component areas. If you time it right, get in the right place, with the right weapons, and hit your targets, then you can clean up.

So - in summary and in my opinion - you can improve the number of killing blows you land in a game if that's your thing. Good luck.

#16 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:00 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 24 October 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

I do only play Light Mechs myself and have big problem with getting certain achievements like Johnny Five. What would be best way of getting it?

Best way actually is killing 5 Mechs in one Game . It is doable in Lights . Got Jonny5 and Ace of Spades both in Lights . Low Tier Matches though, 5 and 4 I think . But then, I also had a 9 kill Game in an EbonJ in Tier3 . As well as several 5kill Games . 8 I was not able to reproduce though since out of T3, mostly because the Targets in any given Match simply go down before I can even get a shot in .

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 28 October 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

Can not answer this question really . Skilled, or lucky Shooters will not need to do more than 100dmg to certain Targets to kill them, solo . Other times, people pour 400dmg into one and the same Target, and it still wont go down . Depends on Target ( obviously ) as well as weapon(S) used .

You realize "killstealing" is a concept whose application to MW:O is totally stupid ( xcuse the harsh term ) ?

This Game is a Teamsport . Does not mater who gets the kills, as long as the Team wins . In fact, it is a pretty smart and widely used tactic to locally outnumber enemies ( meaning: try to turn a 1v1 shooting/fight into a 2v1, or 3v1 if you can ) . If that plays out, someone will get the kill . Not necessarily the person who did, or took the most dmg . Often the LRMer from across the Map .

Talking of "killstealing" in this context means totally misunderstanding how Matches are won in this Game .

Edited by Besh, 01 November 2016 - 05:46 AM.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostBesh, on 01 November 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

Best way actually is killing 5 Mechs in one Game . It is doable in Lights . Got Jonny5 and Ace of Spades both in Lights . Low Tier Matches though, 5 and 4 I think . But then, I also had a 9 kill Game in an EbonJ in Tier3 . As well as several 5kill Games . 8 I was not able to reproduce though since out of T3, mostly because the Targets in any given Match simply go down before I can even get a shot in .

Can not answer this question really . Skilled, or lucky Shooters will not need to do more than 100dmg to certain Targets to kill them, solo . Other times, people pour 400dmg into one and the same Target, and it still wont go down . Depends on Target ( obviously ) as well as weapon(S) used .

You realize "killstealing" is a concept whose application to MW:O is totally stupid ( xcuse the harsh term ) ?

This Game is a Teamsport . Does not mater who gets the kills, as long as the Team wins . In fact, it is a pretty smart and widely used tactic to locally outnumber enemies ( meaning: try to turn a 1v1 shooting/fight into a 2v1, or 3v1 if you can ) . If that plays out, someone will get the kill . Not necessarily the person who did, or took the most dmg . Often the LRMer from across the Map .

Talking of "killstealing" in this context means totally misunderstanding how Matches are won in this Game .

Absolutely right. I had 7 kills on just under 500 damage in a group queue game the other day. I was in my ACH and finished everything the bigs couldn't get the last shot on so they didn't get one more shot on the bigs. That's team play not kill stealing.

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:27 AM

Agreed, kill stealing is not a legitimate complaint in MWO

The only time I felt someone stole a kill was when I in a Light (I think a Spider, but this was years ago) had eliminated an assault Mech (Atlas D-DC I think) from the fight (no weapons and only 1 leg left) so instead of spending the 10 seconds I needed to finish it I ran to join the main group, who were outnumbered, but not too bad something like 6 Mechs left for us and 8 for the enemy, so with the elimanated Atlas and the advantage of my Light acting as a distraction we had a fair chance of pulling it back, only to see 2 big slow Mechs break off from our position, they went to get the "free" kill on the Mech I had eliminated guaranteeing our teams defeat, but at least they got the (utterly worthless) kill (which I had earned) by costing us any chance of winning

#19 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Finally did it.

Kit Fox KFX-D, 4x SRM6+Artemis, Target Info Gathering and 6 tons of ammo. Around 1040 damage and five kills with few assists on River City map.

#20 xSleeZyx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

I almost got my ace of spades in this match, sadly i missed out on 2 kills :|

Got this on my midrange brawler
(HBR)
Posted Image

And on this i didn't get as many kills but oh my the dmg. Posted Image
(Light mech on this one) However the kills was solo kills that's why the dmg looks so inflated vs my assists.
Posted Image

Edited by xSleeZyx, 23 November 2016 - 12:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users