I Must Be One Extremely Lucky Son Of A Gun. (Nerf Kdk-3 Thread)

Achievements BattleMechs Balance

338 replies to this topic

#41 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 October 2016 - 01:40 AM, said:

Just to refresh, the aforementioned stats as supplied by Taragoato:

http://mwomercs.com/...rd-event-stats/

Look at his individual links. Kodiak is tops in every leader board event since it came out.
Bandito must be on to something...gotta be some crazy coincidences going on to make such balanced mechs appear this messed up and luck is certainly the only way one can possibly explain the Kodiak's domination across every event.

By my own experience, the KDK-3 is usually butt'kicked' or crotch'hugged' by a tiny locust, successfully and there's nothing I can do to shake it off me.

Edited by MOBAjobg, 25 October 2016 - 01:49 AM.

#42 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:55 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 25 October 2016 - 01:40 AM, said:

Just to refresh, the aforementioned stats as supplied by Taragoato:

http://mwomercs.com/...rd-event-stats/

Kodiak leads in both max scores and min scores.
Not only it's the best mech for the top pilots, but also it's the easiest mech to do well in for less experienced ones.
And on top of that, it's the best mech per ton, with Arctic Cheetah and Locust taking second and third place.

Roll your face against the keyboard while piloting KDK-3: 1000 damage done :-)

Edited by Kmieciu, 25 October 2016 - 01:56 AM.

#43 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:56 AM

While i absolutely agree that the KDK-3 needs nerfing, id like to see people calling for it make actual suggestions as to what form that nerf should take - because i do not agree with negative quirks, at all, ever - put negative weapon quirks on it so that 2UAC10 + 2UAC5 is only as effective as 2xUAC10 + 1 x UAC5 on the Night Gyr? Congrats, you killed the Kodiak. (well, assuming the same applied to GR/PPC builds)

I think that, beyond removing the structure quirks (duh) and reducing the torso twist arc, the only thing left to do beyond that is buffing other assault mechs to compete - which wouldnt take much imo in some cases - give the Banshee and Battlemaster their quirks back, take the KDKs quirks and reduce its torso arc and it will be pretty damn close.

edit: Asking for hardpoint location changes or hardpoint removal is a complete pipe dream, its never going to happen. Be realistic.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 25 October 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#44 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:02 AM

From my personal mech stats:

Posted Image

KDK-3 and KDK-4 basically tied, actually. Running two UAC/10 two PPC on the KDK-4.

#45 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:02 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 25 October 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

the only thing left to do beyond that is buffing other assault mechs to compete -

Don't tease me. Don't.
I mean, I know Victors are perfectly balanced now, just like the Kodiak 3.
-Sniff-
But dare I dream that my Victors would someday be fun to play?
Don't tease me like this. It's just cruel.

#46 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:07 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 25 October 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

removing the structure quirks (duh) and reducing the torso twist arc

Right on the money.
The fact that XL400 Kodiak-3 has better torso twist range than the STK-4N (310 max engine) is downright insulting to game balance.

Edited by Kmieciu, 25 October 2016 - 02:07 AM.

#47 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:13 AM

Why do you want a weaker mech? How about instead of nerfing a mech, you up your skills and stop whining? Because the devs may actually listen to you and nerf everything to the ground so that your beloved medium tin can with 45 CT magically become one hell of brawler.

#48 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:22 AM

View PostMWn00b, on 25 October 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

Why do you want a weaker mech? How about instead of nerfing a mech, you up your skills and stop whining?

i can't tell if you're joking or not.

kdk-3 is SO FAR ahead of the curve, if you can't see it you probably need to know braille to read this post.

#49 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:27 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 25 October 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

that's why I grab popcorn when I read EL's OP.

It's always entertaining reading the KDK defenders replays....... comparing it to a jagermech...in the right hands, even jarg is OP!

LOLOLOLOL

Priceless!!!

(ops, more popcorn)

Someone actually liked his post... Idk anymore... How can people be so dense.

How in the flip do you compare the JJager, the meta dakkadiak uses a pair of 5s, that range argument doesn't exist.

If the Kodiak can't be stripped of it's quirks then the Wubshee must be returned to us! The Wubmaster should be reforged! /pitchforks & torches

#50 METAL SEPARATOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:31 AM

View PostWil McCullough, on 25 October 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

i can't tell if you're joking or not.

kdk-3 is SO FAR ahead of the curve, if you can't see it you probably need to know braille to read this post.

I don't see a problem with that. GET BETTER and USE TACTICS. Something unheard of, I guess.

#51 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:31 AM

I don't come at this from a meta point of view. Seems to me from "the top" this is self evident: All the best players of all the best teams be it on MRBC or the tournament, more often than not are running Kodiaks, and usually Kodiak 3s. This is a matter of observation. I mean go look at the videos. These people are taking that mech for a reason and that reason is because it is the best mech they can bring to the fight.

But who cares? Fine.

Rather, I am looking at this from the view of a terribad who really doesn't care one way or another about the Kodiak per se, but has merely observed that when more than 2 of these things are on my team, we win. When they are on the other team they win. Any mech that is causing this level of imbalance to players of my ilk proves, at least to me, that this mech is not causing imbalance because of its super-amazing-magic ability to make crappy players skilled, but because even in the hands of a crappy player it is OP, and in the hands of a skilled player it totally unbalances the game. How does this sort of imbalance affect new players, casuals, folks just giving MWO a try on steam? Think they go, "wow this is awesome, now here is a game I want to play some more!"

Somehow, I think not, and this game needs all the players it can get.

Devs, for all our sake, fix this. You're the devs. Figure it out. But fix the damn thing.

#52 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:33 AM

View PostMWn00b, on 25 October 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

Why do you want a weaker mech? How about instead of nerfing a mech, you up your skills and stop whining? Because the devs may actually listen to you and nerf everything to the ground so that your beloved medium tin can with 45 CT magically become one hell of brawler.

Wtf are you talking about? No one is talking about the Blackjack (I think that's what you're referencing)

To lay it out, the Kodiak is objectively the best mech in the game. No one wants it Victored, just reigned in so it's not the absolute best anymore, also known as balance.

Edited by TheArisen, 25 October 2016 - 02:35 AM.

#53 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:35 AM

View PostMWn00b, on 25 October 2016 - 02:31 AM, said:

I don't see a problem with that. GET BETTER and USE TACTICS. Something unheard of, I guess.

For crying out loud, its NOT people saying this mech is too hard to beat - yeah, especially in a PPC medium / heavy i can usually demolish KDKs because they dont usually find it very easy to hit me, while i find it very easy to hit them.

The problem is its so much better than other assault mechs it makes it a no brainer which you should choose.

#54 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:39 AM

@El Bandito: Kodiak3 reminds me the Highlander before double nerf. It is simply the king of the field actually, no discussion about it (if only everyone defending the KDK3 now were present when Highlander was a great mech...)

But now i start to think that one big issue helping the Kodiak3 to be such a beast is the "Fear factor" it instills in a pug game.

You start your game, walking through the map. You turn the corner and bam! A rain of shells. While you rush backward, with all your armor blinking yellor/orange/red, your targeting computer shows you is the beloved Kodiakka!

KDK3 is a good excuse in Teamspeak:
"Sorry guys, i died soon, have the bad luck to face a Kodiak3"
"I cannot face one of them, 2 are just too much"
"We lose, but hey, they have KDK3 on their side!"

I never heard something like:
"Hey, a slow coumbersome Kodiak, let kill him!"

Everyone simply get scared.
Many Mechwarriors don't even shoot back, they only try to move out of sight as soon as they can.

We get to the point where to meet a KDK3 is like a flat tire on the highway: bad luck happens, maybe next match i hope don't have to face another...like it's a tax you have sometimes to pay to play the game.

Now, i know what is best to do..shot at his side torsos as much as i can before being dead.
Hoping that someone else will finish the job.
Sometimes it works, some other not.

But every average pug reading the forum (your post included) will end up promoting the KDK3 into the Sandman.

We know it is a strong mech, we know is king of the field.
Keep asking for a bit of balance is something i consider legit!

But keep doing such posts in general discussion will only inflate the myth around that chassis more and more everytime. To the point we will hear tales in the tavern telling a single KDK3 killed 12 enemies in a row, that KDK3 can open wall gates with a scream, that KDK3 is not BT but just something Chuck Norris built to do his job while he is tired.

Edited by Attank, 25 October 2016 - 02:47 AM.

#55 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:14 AM

View PostAttank, on 25 October 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

But keep doing such posts in general discussion will only inflate the myth around that chassis more and more everytime.

The KDK-3 is not a lie.

#56 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

The Kodiak isnt overpowered, its just the perfect counter to the stand still and poke ER PPC and Gauss meta. High DPS medium to short range versus high alpha long range. The high speed, for an assault, allows the KDK-3 to flank and melt all those ER PPC turrets one by one.

#57 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:15 AM

View PostAttank, on 25 October 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

I never heard something like:
"Hey, a slow coumbersome Kodiak, let kill him!"

You never hear it because the current meta-KDK-3 uses XL400, therefore goes 69.7 kph. Spirit Bear reaches 90.6 with MASC.

View PostAlbino Boo, on 25 October 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

High DPS medium to short range.

"Medium to short" meaning up to 594 meters of effective range while DPS means hill-humping with 50 damage alphas.

Edited by Kmieciu, 25 October 2016 - 03:20 AM.

#58 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,787 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:20 AM

i did pull a 1k dmg game in an orion iic the other day. im going to have to attribute games like that to luck. or not, we still lost. as mighty as my performance was, 4 kills, i couldnt carry that sack of potatoes. we had one other player get 4 kills, and another guy get 2. so pretty much 3 guys did most of the work. it came down to a 1v1 between a mostly fresh kodiak and a lermfox with 1 machinegun and no missiles. still one of the best games ive played in a very long time.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 October 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#59 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:22 AM

The Kodiak isnt overpowered, its just the perfect counter to the stand still and poke ER PPC and Gauss meta. High DPS medium to short range versus high alpha long range. The high speed, for an assault, allows the KDK-3 to flank and melt all those ER PPC turrets one by one.

Funny how you mention gauss & erppcs, did you know the premiere gauss & erppc carrier is the Kodiak? With the same qualities that make it a great dakka boat it can dominate the long range game.

#60 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:26 AM

If you're not aware KDK-3 is the META at the moment. I'm actually more scared of dual gauss + dual erppc KDK-3 than the dakkabear because you can usually dodge dakka at range. And all those non "meta" assaults just melt in face of kodiak. Only thing that I have found working against KDK-3 face to face is surprise atlas. Meaning that I get to start that fight under 150m in AS7-S and get the first shot.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users