- - - - -

One Mech To Rule Them All.

49 replies to this topic

#1 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:54 AM

If you could only have 1 mech and only use that one mech what would it be? Just curious what peoples preferences are.
This will give new players a chance to see what you prefer and why. How your build is set up and what has brought you to that mech. While I have looked at Meta Mech's plenty of times. I am more likely to use a mech when I have talked to someone else who has used it.

If you've read my posts its no shock I love the Dire Wolf, it was the mech that got me interested in CBT to begin with. It is on the cover of many of the books also. Having the Prime variant helps with the 30% boost but my favorite is the S variant. I have mine set in a Dakka build and its been my favorite mech so far. I also put the Halloween war horn in it last night and really enjoy hearing it go off. Stat wise it is not my best mech but it is my favorite mech to run by far.

Edited by Horse Pryde, 27 October 2016 - 06:05 AM.

#2 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:05 AM

Atlas

It is (IMO) the Alpha and the Omega mech. It is favourite. I have piloted it from the start and have piloted it to the finish.

36,120,075 XP

Mmmmmmm..... yes

Mech-Cellent!

#3 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:38 AM

I do not understand how this could help new players. Gereral Discussion would be a right forum, not New Player Help.

To give you an answer: I Dont know. I need at least 4... one for each class.
But if i shall choose one... tbr would make it. I dislike the fact, it is everyones darling, but its the most versile mech in my opinion. Thanks to its speed, armor and omnipods. Wanna lurm? check. Laservomit? check. Dakka? No Problem! Sniper? Do it! Brawler? Is ok too... frontline mech? It works in every role at least okish.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:46 AM

I'd uninstall.

#5 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostNerokar, on 27 October 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

I do not understand how this could help new players. Gereral Discussion would be a right forum, not New Player Help.

To give you an answer: I Dont know. I need at least 4... one for each class.
But if i shall choose one... tbr would make it. I dislike the fact, it is everyones darling, but its the most versile mech in my opinion. Thanks to its speed, armor and omnipods. Wanna lurm? check. Laservomit? check. Dakka? No Problem! Sniper? Do it! Brawler? Is ok too... frontline mech? It works in every role at least okish.

Because it gives new players a place to see what others use and why. You described perfectly why you use the TBR. To me it is better than the "what should I buy first" topics where every answer is "hunchback"

#6 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:41 AM

Ok... the problem is the preference and exp of those players.
Look at an tier 1 pilot saying he loves his SDR-5k because of its speed and harassing power. But does it make a good mech for a new player? I dont think so.

As you said you love your DAKKA DWF-S. I looked at one from metamechs.
It costs 20.000.000 C-Bills plus 3 extra omnipods at price of 440.000 each.
It is extremly slow, so it is unforgiving in positioning.
It has 5 c-uac5 with only 520 units of ammo. So 52 Aphas (no idea how the GH allows it).

It brings a lot of pain when used correctly but it is not so newbe friendly.

PS: I do not want to attack you. I try to show WHY it is not a good Idea to say a newbe what experienced player would use.
And this is why everyone says to a new player: Buy Hunchy. This mech is not expensive, versile and can take some punch.
Playing it, the new one can say, ok i need more speed... or more firepower or more armor. What ever. He can see what playstyle he likes.

Edited by Nerokar, 27 October 2016 - 06:44 AM.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:52 AM

Timberwolf. Due to good 75 ton basis and omnipods it can run on about all kinds of configurations. I will sometime buy it myself.

That's what I would suggest any newcomers too for the same reason, best way to learn different weapons is to slap them into a mech and roll. I'm sure several heavy IS mechs are similiar too, having enough hardpoints to try out different weapons.

#8 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

TBR, hands down, and TBR-C, if I have to be specific, because it has a center torso energy hardpoint.

If I had to specify a build, it would be my 4xSRM6+Art, LBX-20 build. I named him Boomstick.

#9 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

Mist lynx.
Reasoning is kinda odd... I ALWAYS have fun in it regardless of my performance. Good game... Sweet. Bad game... Oh well I had fun and noone expected much anyway. (seriously play it with an SRM and ERSL and come back and tell me you aren't having fun)
All my other mechs if I do well sweet, if I don't do well... I have a tendency to get a little grumpy.

Maybe my Ice Ferrets for same reasons as above.

#10 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

Hard call between RFL-LK or the closest equiv to that on a non-hero RFL, PNT-10k 2PPC build, and ShadowCat. In the end I think I would have to side with shadowcat due to omnipod flexibility and the options for builds (3LRM troll build, dual-flamer srm troll build, LPL sniper, PPC sniper, etc...). If limited to 1 build: 3LRMA, 2MPLs, the rest is armor ammo (~6t) and maybe extra DHS. You must have target decay mod, and LRM cool down helps.

#11 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

Its not the mech ,its the Pilot and Skill ,and the play of the Team Posted Image you can have a Good Mech ,and very Piloting and aiming skill -with a less team ...no chance...

Each pilot have is own mech ,class ,Playstyle ...a New Player has no Chance in a mech from a Good Player with no Expierience in this Mech or Class , im self play over 20 Years MW ,and hate the Assault Class , my Favorites the Heavy Class, and not to bad in many lights and Mediums ...love the Marauder, Warhammer, Jägermech, Rifleman, Crab, Cataphract ,Kitfox ,Maddog...150 mechs in Hangar..love Large Lasers, Pulse Lasers, ER PPCs,IS AC5 ,IS AC10

Best Module and a Must have -Radar Deprivation!

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 27 October 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostNerokar, on 27 October 2016 - 06:41 AM, said:

As you said you love your DAKKA DWF-S. I looked at one from metamechs.
It has 5 c-uac5 with only 520 units of ammo.

You know there are other ways to build mechs, right?

Anyways. If I was to grab one, and only one, it'd be a blackhawk. Classic murder-nova for all my brawling needs, with as many weapons as the game'll let us have.

~Leone

#13 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:12 AM

If I can only run one mech then I'd run the Huntsman. It can run every build out there very well, the only thing it can't do is run dual Gauss.
The Huntsman can LRM, Splat, Dakka, lasor vomit, Snipe, mix builds, almost what ever you want the Huntsman can do it while still being rather durable.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:18 AM

I'm partial to my Atlas, but I'm having too much fun with the Huntsman right now - despite the giant target painted on my chest by the Hunt the Huntsman event. It's durable, fast enough, mobile, and versatile in its loadouts.

#15 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

I thought KDK-3 was a must have?

#16 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 27 October 2016 - 10:21 AM, said:

I thought KDK-3 was a must have?

Not for everyone. I don't use mine as often as the Meta dictates.

Its funny how the group is divided between people who have a favorite mech from before MWO that they gravitate towards and people who have picked one strictly because of its ability in game.

Edited by Horse Pryde, 27 October 2016 - 10:24 AM.

#17 Huron Fal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:25 AM

For those reading this thread and interested in buying a timber, do not buy the TBR-Prime. The center torso hardpoint is useless unless you want to load a machinegun or (heaven forbid) a U/AC-2. Buy the S-Variant (has a jumpjet in the CT and the most useful RT) and the A-Variant (most useful LT, but otherwise same as D and C) and then either the D or C (they are pretty interchangeable).

That said, if you want the most variety, you may consider S, A, and Prime, but Prime is pretty lackluster and very hard to optimize.

Edited by Huron Fal, 27 October 2016 - 10:27 AM.

#18 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostHorse Pryde, on 27 October 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Its funny how the group is divided between people who have a favorite mech from before MWO that they gravitate towards and people who have picked one strictly because of its ability in game.

Tell me... Whats more frightening... A direwolf packed with a 100 tons of devastation... Or a 100 ton pink teddy bear mech with retractable claws and heart decals?

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostHorse Pryde, on 27 October 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Once they were both the JR7-F for me. Now my main ride is my ACH-Prime, but I level all the things and that's a big part of the fun for me.

#20 Horse Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 27 October 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

Tell me... Whats more frightening... A direwolf packed with a 100 tons of devastation... Or a 100 ton pink teddy bear mech with retractable claws and heart decals?

I am going to shoot the Direwolf instantly. The bear i might look at out of amazement and be caught off guard slowing my reaction time, ultimately leading to my death.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users