#41 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostUnendingmenace, on 27 October 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

When I say thanks guys, what I mean is thank you to the WHINGERS that complained ...

I am now sounding like a broken record, but:

View PostMystere, on 30 October 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

There is a player-based reason

why we cannot have good things in MWO,

much less great ones.

#42 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostDavers, on 30 October 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

Are you saying the players had some sort of official agreement with the institution and are, somehow, using a satire of their logo with permission as long as there is no profit? You do know Weird Al doesn't have to get artist's permission to satirize their work, right?

Weird Al pays the artist (rights holders) a small sum of his profits for the rights to use the song. But yes, he does not need permission.

Issue here is that PGI is now scared to use the decals not because some unit complained but because those people reminded PGI of how easily it is for trademark lawyers from those big organisations to make their lives hell and tie them up on courts for long long time.

Especially if some "snowflake" player brings it up with said big corporations. And with this "toxic" userbase, you sure by Golly someone will do it, just because it will give PGI problems.

And then if PGI shuts down because of it, they will blame PGI for the screw up. Because that is the way people roll.

And then we will have to live another long time before someone else picks up Mechwarrior for online play.

Because it is not as if companies will factor in the userbase they will get when they make decisions... no no no, they will not look at the old toxic playerbase and decide, you know what, these guys will not cause us problems. Yea right.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 30 October 2016 - 10:11 AM.

#43 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostGaden Phoenix, on 30 October 2016 - 10:03 AM, said:

Weird Al pays the artist (rights holders) a small sum of his profits for the rights to use the song. But yes, he does not need permission.

Issue here is that PGI is now scared to use the decals not because some unit complained but because those people reminded PGI of how easily it is for trademark lawyers from those big organisations to make their lives hell and tie them up on courts for long long time.

Especially if some "snowflake" player brings it up with said big corporations. And with this "toxic" userbase, you sure by Golly someone will do it, just because it will give PGI problems.

And then if PGI shuts down because of it, they will blame PGI for the screw up. Because that is the way people roll.

No, he doesn't have to pay them. Scary Movie didn't have to pay out to every horror film they spoofed, you know.

#44 Gaden Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 449 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostDavers, on 30 October 2016 - 10:10 AM, said:

No, he doesn't have to pay them. Scary Movie didn't have to pay out to every horror film they spoofed, you know.

I just googled it, you are right. Still will not put is pass American corporations/entities to sue even if they cannot win. They can play the wait till small fry is bankrupt game.

Edited by Gaden Phoenix, 30 October 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#45 Zoose

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:06 AM

View PostSkoll, on 29 October 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

I legitimately hope PGI doesn't reverse their decision. The whine you guys are making over decals in a video game..

So happy that you took the time to properly read and consider all the posts indicating the reasons we objected to the decision including the time and for some teams the money spent making the decal...looks like you just like to make outlandish, poorly thought out comments! youtrollingbro?

#46 Nothar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 123 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:23 AM

Oh look a distraction!

#47 1 21 Giggawatts

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 87 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:26 PM

View PostNothar, on 31 October 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Oh look a distraction!

Hah, i look forward to that coming out!

#48 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

All 6 episodes are on youtube...

but perhaps getting back to topic would be appreciated from ebon keshik and other teams that see it like they do :)

(Even if Gigga is kinda their cap :P )

#49 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

Totally feel for you guys. I hate seeing peoples bitching screwing others up. I would like to see PGI give these decals to the teams that worked so hard for them. The tournament looked quite crazy and each of these teams earned the right to fly their colors.

#50 Alteran

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

#givethemthedecalback

#51 Mr Pataks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:52 PM

Respectfully, the content is in the game. Please Release unit decals that don't breach copy right and have unit leaders sign a disclaimer or some such. Pgi at this point should be urging to give people trains to sick around before the game dies and players drop out due to world champs burnout. Also Please next WC let us have a bigger roster.

#52 Mr Pataks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:16 PM

*reasons (not trains)

#53 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

What was the actual reason for the decision to remove said decals?

After all, it probably took a fair share of time and resources for their implementation. Not even tackling the time for creation.
I can't see the benefits, fankly.
The downside however, oh boy, literally harmful.
Do the customers, who had bought the decals, got a refund already?

Pro:
-?

Con:
- removal of possible income
- content removal
- discouraging customers to use and buy decals
- discourage of involvment and submitting of decals and/or content in general
- disregarding of community involvement
- openly showing mismanagement and misinformation (possible cloaking of disinformation) (that's a big fat NONO for a f2p title)

While i did not buy any unit decals (why would i buy or use them if i don't belong to said units) i did look at all of them.
They have been by far the best looking decals in the game. They had an air of fluff to them, something the title is severely lacking, to say the least.

I may not know the reasoning behind PGI's decisionmaking but it appears yet again as if PGI is actively looking for the biggest puddle of mud to jump into (head first of course, as usually).

#54 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:42 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 03 November 2016 - 02:44 AM, said:

What was the actual reason for the decision to remove said decals?

Legal caution.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users