Awesome Kdk-4 Build!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:35 AM

Just got my first 1k game with this mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7162c5c36b79560

Use the arms independently to hit with 2 ERLL or use chainfire to shoot all four nonstop. A nice ranged mech with some short ranged SRM abilities. It has 2 UAC2s on the shoulder for long range harrasement. Decent ammo for each.

Posted Image

I'm starting to think of the Kokiak like certain tank in WOT and Warthunder. The crappy armor spacing means you simply stay more at range when possible to maximize spread. Or at least it's a good option. Then when you get up close you use twisting if needed. But range is very fun on this mech. You can reposition so you can do what you want.

Edited by Arugela, 30 October 2016 - 06:44 AM.

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 October 2016 - 07:28 AM

YEEEEEHAAWWWW, Aru time again.Posted Image

And not necesseriely a typical ARU mech...but still...there is everything you desperately want (NOT) in your assault mech :

-- 3 different weapon types (and targeting and range profiles)

-- 2 different ammo types (oh wow this time ammo placing is actually....understandable maybe UACammo in one leg since you wont get hit that much on your leggs driving a longrange mech and your torso has many emty crits that perversly will increase the chance of your ammo getting hit after armor penetration)

-- Weapons that couldn't be more contrary so you hardly can use them at the same time, always carrying useless balast...that gets the good ol myomer muscels in right shape buddy but won't be a real aide in most battles (maybe remove ASRMS and ammo ... then remove FF armor and fill the remaining tonnage with heatsinks)

-- long burn times (or the need to fire weapons for many rounds to do meaningfull dmg)
(oh how I do love making such builds with mechs that hardly fit through the loading hatch of even the largest dropships)

-- Surprisingly....its ....its faster than 50kph and no 300 standart reactor either Posted Image Are you sure ? That XL reactor in a Kodiak could be a reeeeaaaaaaal survivability issue ???!!!Posted Image Posted Image

The issue with smal ACs is that they nether have the DPS nor the single hit dmg to justify their weight in smal numbers.
Think of it...even...say Direwolf (if skilled) will make 14.6 m/s. He has 6 UAC5.
The range advantage of UAC2 to UAC5 is 180m
He'll need 12.3s to cross the gap between his and your optimal range.
Lets say you noticed him a second before entering your optimal AC2 range (810m)
You turn and both of you start to fire.
KDK4 with ER LL realy, realy going for it, not only doing the susstained dmg but giving the heatsinks realy something to do.
Firing ERLLasers with nearly 7dps and the UACs at 5.6dps (sure he will overheat after some seconds 8secs at full rate chaining the lasers with max speed without penalty and constantly firing the UACs)
At the same time the Dire just lumbered forward at you twisting away distributing dmg and started doubletapping his UACs every time he looks at you between twisting.
In that time the KDK4 did around 100 dmg if everything hit and without jamming before shutting down after 8s of firing.

So what dmg could the Dire do in that time?
UAC5 optimal range 630m (5 dmg) and max range 1260m (0 dmg).
Since the dmg reduction is a linear (yea its beyond ...what everPosted Image) function you can use fractions.
So his dmg reduction would start with (180/630)*100=28.6%
He would do 25.7 dps at start of his walk and improve to 36 dps when reaching optimum range. (without jamming and only singletap ignoring ghostheat)
Thats an averange of 30 dps.
Now a UAC5 can't be fired with 6 guns and no ghost heat...and honestly .. its completely irrelevant since the maximum susstained dps of the direwolf would still be 11 dps, without doubletapping ....thats nearly the value of the KDK4 without considdering its heat.

Lets just say the KDK would be dead long before the Dires armor gets orange.

The point is, throw away the SRMs and their ammo and at least instal UAC5 instead of UAC2 its just better bang for buggs...the lasers are still too damn hot.

Edited by The Basilisk, 30 October 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:42 AM

Yeargh.

Here's a mech that will get torn apart by pretty much anything that gets close. Even assuming you never trigger ghost heat, UAC2's are bizzarely hot autocannons to start with, and the ERLL's will require a total of 2 seconds to fire both banks timed perfectly (and that's given firing the second bank exactly 0.5s after the first to avoid crippling ghost heat).

This mech is ridiculously hot (29% cooling efficiency!) and even if you're both not doubletapping the UAC2's AND not firing the SRM's at all, that's still just 9 seconds till overheat. You need constant face time for the UAC2's, each bank of ERLL's sport 1.5s durations...

This is a mech that dies the moment someone bothers to fire at it. Overall DPS is fairly low, and you can't fire/twist/fire/twist to spread damage.

This may work fine in very, very low tier matches, but is a poster child for poor use of a Kodiak.

Said KDK-4, for example, could sport something like this: KDK-4 which would utterly ruin the afore mentioned ERLL build every time, able to push way more damage, much faster, and sustain that damage output for 34 seconds full out till heatcapping... while being able to fire and twist.

It's sword and board in the setup above - may as well be, as the UAC10's are on that side. But you can easily drop a couple DHS and add some SRM's if that's your bag to increase short range alpha power, and/or split the LPL's between the sides if you prefer that sort of setup. Note that the off arm isn't even stripped - in optimization on the linked build above, you'd want to get at least one more DHS or another rank of TC by stripping the empty arm somewhat.

Given pug matches engagement ranges are, even at long range, typically around 600m this gets you plenty of long range power while being able to absolutely wreck face instead of doing a pathetically small amount of damage then heatcapping.

#4 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

2 uac10's, 2 srm6+ artemis, 4 small pulses.

works much better.

#5 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 October 2016 - 11:08 AM

View PostAlienized, on 30 October 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

2 uac10's, 2 srm6+ artemis, 4 small pulses.

works much better.

2 UAC/10s, 4 MPLs. Better yet.

#6 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostTercieI, on 30 October 2016 - 11:08 AM, said:

2 UAC/10s, 4 MPLs. Better yet.

mpl run too hot for my taste + the punch of 2 srm6 is not to underestimate.

#7 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostAlienized, on 30 October 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

mpl run too hot for my taste + the punch of 2 srm6 is not to underestimate.

I don't plan to pull a KDK within 200M, so SPLs and SRMs are a poor choice, IMO. And the MPLs are manageable, lean on the UACs when hot.

#8 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 03:11 PM

My KDK-4 is 2xUAC/10 w/5 tons, 2x ASRM6 w/ 3 tons, 4xSPL. 400XL, Endo, FF, 19DHS Only need 3 fire groups and the abuse overlaps well under 270 meters. I just had a bog skirmish game with it. Dropped a zeus first coring him out. Then he was followed by an ebon and the trial jenner IIC. I had my seismic installed so knew they were coming. Ebon steps around corner figuring he'll kill the kodiak the zeus stripped the CT armor from...right into a 90 point alpha...dead in 1.5 seconds....repeat the same with the jenner except I didn't even need the double-tap of the UACs.... halloween warhorn cackling away.

Edited by Dee Eight, 30 October 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#9 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Here is a better armed version of it with LRM20... Mind you this is a KDK-4 and it's not made for close range really. I had the SRM's on to try in place of LRM5s I used to use.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...efc22ff4f5ff88c

If you need more leg armor get a lower engine. I have the 395 because I already have it. A 385Xl would be better because it gets full armor.

Edited by Arugela, 31 October 2016 - 11:56 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users