48 replies to this topic

#21 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 01 November 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 01 November 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

Just had a play with the Viper in smurphies and... no. Ill wait for a 40 clan mech that isnt terrible, lol (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Griffin_IIC ? would buy.) Only even vaguely decent looking build i came up with can't be replicated on an arctic cheetah for 10 tons less and with ECM was 4xMPL high mounted on the A with stripped arms and 2 extra DHS.. not worth the cbills for me.

Im sure it FLIES with 8x class IV JJs on a 40 ton chassis, but this game isnt called orbital insertion.

I could go for the Griffin IIC. Yes, please.

Honestly, I was hoping for the Viper. Then I went on a crash whale diet, and it turned out to be a below average performer. Still considering c-billing them anyway.

The pokemech is stronk.

#22 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:53 PM

View PostPurple Pixel Dust, on 01 November 2016 - 05:15 PM, said:

Only question I have... is Why no hero omnipods? One of my M omni's was accidentally sold a while back, and I was looking forward to re-buying it. (its the 'worthless' one, the right torso, zero hardpoints)

Just doesn't seem right, especially with how easy it is do do while you're hanger-clearing, that you can't re-buy those omnis. Are there plans to release the M omnipods later? Or is it just gonna be a 'own the hero if you want them, and only ever as many as hero's you have' which... is just dumb. Sure, you could fit a 10x ERSL build with hero omni's... but you'd have really crappy cooling.

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 01 November 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

Probably because this is the "available for c-bills" announcement for the Viper, and the hero pods are MC-only, so I'm assuming those were covered in the "available for MC" announcement before?

Why do I get this feeling Support needs to be contacted? Or perhaps a Bug Report filed in the Patch Feedback area? :blink:

~D. V. "It only sounds logical." Devnull

#23 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:08 AM

For lights/meds, never sell the "useless" pods, they end up getting quirked over time. Not by much usual but it's worth keeping onto until a mech sale comes along and you're desperate. That's when I do my trimmings.

Viper seems ok, it is very fragile I've noticed. Some structure quirks would help it along, the mech doesnt seem to be a gamechanger/gameruiner so it should be safe. Med laser build seems safe and fun (with the -heat quirk its doable). Small lasers/machine guns = suicide. I haven't tried the missile build yet. I dont think i'll be getting the medusa unless I really get going in these mechs. We'll see.

#24 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:04 AM

Since hero mechs never go for C-bills, Hero mech omnipods will never be available for sale seperately.

#25 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 02 November 2016 - 06:04 AM, said:

Since hero mechs never go for C-bills, Hero mech omnipods will never be available for sale seperately.

There's a way they could still do it, and not break balance. PGI would just have to make the Hero OmniPods cost a small chunk of , instead of the usual charges that OmniPods would have. A ratio of 10 for every 50k in value of a normal OmniPod sounds about right. Not too costly, but not too easy to purchase, and would cause a Pilot to have to think hard about whether they really want to spend the funds for their Mech's modifications. Further, selling them back from Inventory could still provide only the customary return chunk of to a Pilot's Wallet. Seems simple enough to me, but the question is whether or not PGI will wake up to this option, which would also help people who bought the Hero Mechs. Maybe they'll finally have some 'common sense', and come to realize they could do exactly what I've just suggested? :unsure:

~D. V. "At least this path sticks with current tradition, right?" Devnull

[Edit by author for some bad formatting.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 02 November 2016 - 08:25 AM.

#26 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 01 November 2016 - 09:52 PM, said:

I could go for the Griffin IIC. Yes, please.

Honestly, I was hoping for the Viper. Then I went on a crash whale diet, and it turned out to be a below average performer. Still considering c-billing them anyway.

The pokemech is stronk.

Predicted it. I mean, we knew the pod space. We know MWO is a game where mobility isn't as important as firepower - so long as you are mobile enough to get where you need to in good time. It's predictable as hell how a mech like the Viper would turn out.

This is why I want the Pouncer in game. Same tonnage, bares a lot of visual similarity to an Adder, but hardpoint and loadout option wise, it is closer to a Nova. Up to 11 energy, can jump jet, has ~16 tons of pod space, has hardwired DHS built into the core of the mech. It moves as fast as the Stormcrow, at 97 before tweak, so it is basically a lighter, faster Nova. But given it can actually fit a couple ballistics or missiles, it could also be considered a lighter, faster Clan Blackjack.

Given it is firepower oriented, and not speed oriented, it should perform fairly well in MWO. A bit fragile, as it is a 40 ton platform, but with a solid, disproportionately large, amount of firepower for its weight.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 02 November 2016 - 08:44 AM.

#27 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 02 November 2016 - 08:35 AM, said:

This is why I want the Pouncer in game.

Uhm... Article Link, please? Don't think too many have heard of this one. :(

~D. V. "No reason to make us dig, either." Devnull

#28 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 02 November 2016 - 08:41 AM, said:

Uhm... Article Link, please? Don't think too many have heard of this one. Posted Image

~D. V. "No reason to make us dig, either." Devnull

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Pouncer

#29 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:24 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 01 November 2016 - 10:53 PM, said:

Why do I get this feeling Support needs to be contacted? Or perhaps a Bug Report filed in the Patch Feedback area? Posted Image

~D. V. "It only sounds logical." Devnull

Yeah I don't think the Hero pods are MC buyable are they?

I'd go straight to support as DV mentioned.

#30 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:22 AM

So is the Viper an adequate fix for a Light enthusiast lacking a new Light to master?

#31 Fobhopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 344 posts
  • LocationClan Nova Cat agent working for Davion

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostChuanhao, on 01 November 2016 - 09:12 AM, said:

Best use of the Tacticon is for 6 x LRM15 2 x MedL on the 10Q mated with advanced sensor range, target decay, LRM Range, LRM cooldown modules - for the kick of it.

Would I overheat instantly?

I am looking forward to December.

I predict a Missile Heavy Christmas grab bag event.

I like the way you think. Even if people like to **** on LRM's all day long, I still love them and use them often.

#32 -Skyrider-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 157 posts
  • Locationall about that Seattle life

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

The viper needs some more structure quirks, it's just to fragile to use.

#33 Tiantara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 815 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

- One thing what bother me with Viper - it's taking off all quirks for weapon system if you change any of omnipod and ruin full-set. Like - I try to change legs on variant C to another, with quirks for laser, because I need less hot mech but with MG on board. Its looks great in theory but in practice I lost quirsk for MG and don't get any from new legs. I tried once again and sems all quirks can work only... when all omnipods are from one variant set. Useless to change or buy omnipods for viper if you can't use quirks coming with them along. yeah, build works and that fine, but still? ERPPC scout great with 3 ERSL, but you can't place omnipod to make laser less hot and make build working right.
Maybe Viper need become more older like Nova or Shadow Cat to get separated and combined quirks depends of what part you change in them?

P.S. Oh... that quirks come only in set of 8\8 parts of omnipods. Sad. That restriction make mech less omni and more fixed like IS mech. So that make - Variant Prime, B and C most interesting.

Edited by Tiantara, 02 November 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#34 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 439 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

take your new bought mechs in FW plz, no QP tournament you can join us now, basic up your mechs quick

#35 Talos7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 130 posts
  • LocationCesspool that is post 2016 Washington DC

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 02 November 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

There's a way they could still do it, and not break balance. PGI would just have to make the Hero OmniPods cost a small chunk of , instead of the usual charges that OmniPods would have. A ratio of 10 for every 50k in value of a normal OmniPod sounds about right. Not too costly, but not too easy to purchase, and would cause a Pilot to have to think hard about whether they really want to spend the funds for their Mech's modifications. Further, selling them back from Inventory could still provide only the customary return chunk of to a Pilot's Wallet. Seems simple enough to me, but the question is whether or not PGI will wake up to this option, which would also help people who bought the Hero Mechs. Maybe they'll finally have some 'common sense', and come to realize they could do exactly what I've just suggested? :unsure: ~D. V. "At least this path sticks with current tradition, right?" Devnull [Edit by author for some bad formatting.]

Purchasing Hero omnipods would make the whole point of buying Hero 'mechs moot.
Generally speaking most are just slightly different with a RT or LA that can support an additional or different weapons system or a configuration that isn't available on the regular chassis. Yes some, like the Grid Iron, have (had?) great quirks. But its usually just the configuration of weapons on one or two sections of the 'mech.
If they were to just sell the component what would be the reason to buy most of the Hero 'mechs? other than to just say you owned it, of course.

I like the idea. It would save me a ton to be able to spend C-Bills on an extra 'mech that I could "upgrade" to a hero with a few hundred MC. But, I don't see it working from PGIs stance.

#36 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:57 PM

Vipers unlike the following two new omnis did get engine quirks that weren't part of the set of 8 rule, tied to just the CT, RT and LT pods (all the weapon quirks were tied to the sets). So it is for example, possible to make the Viper A a better performer, engine quirk wise by swapping some side torso pods. Stock quirks total +25% accel (10 is from the set bonus), +15% decel, +15% turn rate and +15% torso turn rate all from the CT pod (the RT/LT pods confer no bonuses). Well by swapping to the C right & left torso pods you end up at +45% for each of those quirks. The only downside is you lose 4 energy, replacing them with 4 ballistics (essentially MGs), the 10% bonus to the accel quirk, and the -5% laser heat generation quirk. I also replaced the right arm pod with that of a prime, to have 2 energy slots there. 2 ERSL, 4MGs w/1ton ammo, ASRM-6 w/2 tons ammo total 7.5 tons. That leaves 1 ton extra for whatever you want (make the lasers SPL or ERML, another DHS, or an active probe.

Edited by Dee Eight, 02 November 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#37 KrEniM MinErK

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:57 AM

As mentioned before, the Viper comes with some issues:
- fragile arms, like the Phoenix Hawk, which hurt especially the Medusa/Hero variant
- missing structure quirks combined with low pod space let you run from light mechs instead of hunting them
- compare Viper quirks to those of a IceFerret (no JJ > wasted 8xJJ) ...
- whithout laser duration quirks and the currently ghost heat system, the Viper can't really perform well as a striker

I really hope for some Viper +quirks next week Posted Image

#38 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 03 November 2016 - 01:21 AM

View PostAramuside, on 02 November 2016 - 09:24 AM, said:

Yeah I don't think the Hero pods are MC buyable are they?

Hero prices are based on tonnage, so selling individual pods on an MC per CBill ratio is not a fair concept.
But I guess more importantly, there's the exclusivity of the hero, which is much less prominent for the omni hero mechs..

We kind of saw this coming with the announcement of omni heros, and is exactly the reason why I find them kinda silly.

#39 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostWillothius, on 03 November 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:

Hero prices are based on tonnage, so selling individual pods on an MC per CBill ratio is not a fair concept.
But I guess more importantly, there's the exclusivity of the hero, which is much less prominent for the omni hero mechs..

We kind of saw this coming with the announcement of omni heros, and is exactly the reason why I find them kinda silly.

Yeah its why I hate all the Huntsman builds people suggest including the P and PA pods as you won't get more P till C-bill versions appear and never more PA. I have to say I still think if you have the hero you should be able to get hero omnipods as you've already paid the "entry fee" imo.

#40 Sardauker Legion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 152 posts
  • LocationDropship Litany of Fury, Draconis Combinate, covert ops

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:26 PM

There is only one Viper.
https://images3.alph...-1920-68977.jpg
Point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users