Cyclops For Mc And Viper For C-Bills

48 replies to this topic

#41 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

Catching three quotes in one blanket shot? Pardon this being a wall-of-text kind of post, but I didn't feel much like triple-posting and making somebody mad. Let's get started, shall we? -_-

View PostTalos7, on 02 November 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Purchasing Hero omnipods would make the whole point of buying Hero 'mechs moot.
Generally speaking most are just slightly different with a RT or LA that can support an additional or different weapons system or a configuration that isn't available on the regular chassis. Yes some, like the Grid Iron, have (had?) great quirks. But its usually just the configuration of weapons on one or two sections of the 'mech.
If they were to just sell the component what would be the reason to buy most of the Hero 'mechs? other than to just say you owned it, of course.

I like the idea. It would save me a ton to be able to spend C-Bills on an extra 'mech that I could "upgrade" to a hero with a few hundred MC. But, I don't see it working from PGIs stance.

I would beg to differ on the point of buying Hero Mechs, as I don't see it being moot. There's an OmniPod, the Center Torso, that can only be gained by purchasing a Hero Mech, as those CT OmniPods can NEVER be swapped. Plus, many of those CT OmniPods usually have some form of useful Quirks/HardPoints on them. ;)

If someone went and sold a Hero OmniPod, they would only get back for it anyway, instead of like when they first purchased them. PGI would still have a working model from their standpoint, as purchasing/selling values still work in favor of their business models. The ratio which I suggested avoids excessively prohibitive pricing, but doesn't work against PGI's numbers, such as the ratios for things like Consumables. Pilots would still have to think twice before purchasing, as there would be no way to undo the changes, just as if a whole Hero Mech were purchased. :)

View PostWillothius, on 03 November 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:

Hero prices are based on tonnage, so selling individual pods on an MC per CBill ratio is not a fair concept.
But I guess more importantly, there's the exclusivity of the hero, which is much less prominent for the omni hero mechs..

We kind of saw this coming with the announcement of omni heros, and is exactly the reason why I find them kinda silly.

There's actually a workable opening for PGI here. As one would go up through tonnage, so does the prices of the OmniPods increase. At higher tonnages, the OmniPods therefore become more and more costly. However, if you've noticed, the prices of the OmniPods are always a minor fraction of the Mech's original purchase price. Such is why I came across the thought of the 10 to 50K ratio. It doesn't go too high, specifically covers the OmniPod itself (which doesn't include original equipment during MechLab editing), but doesn't overcharge into a price point where PGI would lose out from most Pilots being unwilling to spend for their desired builds. ^_^

Using as a requirement to purchase Hero OmniPods doesn't affect the Hero Mech's exclusivity. Things like Quirks/HardPoints and the 'Set of 8' from the CT would still require purchase of the Hero Mech as a whole. Heck, you can't say your OmniMech is a "Medusa" or "Jade Kite" or "Pakhet" without it actually being the Hero's CT anyway, as that's how Mech variants get read by Sensors when you're deployed. :D

View PostAramuside, on 03 November 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

Yeah its why I hate all the Huntsman builds people suggest including the P and PA pods as you won't get more P till C-bill versions appear and never more PA. I have to say I still think if you have the hero you should be able to get hero omnipods as you've already paid the "entry fee" imo.

This here holds far too true. If someone does have the Hero OmniMech, there is no point in blocking their access to purchasing the Hero OmniPod. Accidental sales from Pilot Inventory occur, and it should either be possible to recover by repurchasing with and/or , or sale of the Hero OmniPod should NEVER be possible in the first place. Heck, if PGI feels that they have to use owning a Hero OmniMech as a limiter to purchasing OmniPods, then so be it. But creating a hidden, needless pitfall in regard to the Hero OmniPods? That's simply bad for business, no two ways about it. :blink:

~Mr. D. V. "Hopefully this answers lots of questions, showing points to ideas, all in a useful way?" Devnull

[Edit by author for a missed thought.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 03 November 2016 - 03:43 PM.

#42 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 November 2016 - 02:44 AM

My review on the Vipers so far:

Overall, I am impressed 9/10.

Without even basicing them, they seem to be fast killers. Is it better than the Ferret? IMO of course. Does it replace the Ferret, actually no. The Ferret can tank which is important for FW so the role is definately not the same.

Their lastability seems borderline pathetic so I am hoping they'll get some minor structure quirks (at least for the legs). I've had them insta-gibbed quite often. I need to work on staying alive more with this mech than any other but even for that shorter duration, it wrecks havoc or can cause nasty diversions.

The jumpjets are... outta space ! It's very nice to move so damn freely, kinda like the cheetah but better. In fact this mech seems to be extremely close to the Cheetah minus the ECM (and the obvious size difference).

For the quirkset, so losing the weapon quirks isnt really that bad if you think about it. I dont think this mech is heavily quirked for weapons anyways but PGI please bring back the chop and change quirks for modules only. Not set 8 combos.

I've been waiting for geniune small/fast light mech for clans (similar to the locust) but some how the viper seems to give me a similar hit which is odd.

I'd say unless you get motion sickness from fast mechs, this is a must.

Medusa - I will be really interested in this variant at some point.

#43 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:45 AM

Surprised how fun the viper is to pilot. As expected, however, it is pigeonholed intro just one or two builds. Still, what it does it does surprisingly well.

#44 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:52 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 November 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

Surprised how fun the viper is to pilot. As expected, however, it is pigeonholed intro just one or two builds. Still, what it does it does surprisingly well.

Yeah I found it a fun mech overall - it does the strike and run role very well as its so insanely agile and manouverable.

Just don't do what I did once and sail far far far out of the map. ;)

#45 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostDarthHias, on 02 November 2016 - 10:22 AM, said:

So is the Viper an adequate fix for a Light enthusiast lacking a new Light to master?

View PostPariah Devalis, on 04 November 2016 - 08:45 AM, said:

I went ahead and picked them up for fun. They're a really fun combo of mobility factors. It runs like a Ferret that can jump better than a Lynx. I really could not have asked for more from it, considering the limited podspace.

With MGs and SPLs, hilarity ensues.

#46 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 07 November 2016 - 10:11 AM, said:

I went ahead and picked them up for fun. They're a really fun combo of mobility factors. It runs like a Ferret that can jump better than a Lynx. I really could not have asked for more from it, considering the limited podspace.

With MGs and SPLs, hilarity ensues.

Just be careful about jumping close to boundaries... voice of experience. ;)

#47 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostAramuside, on 07 November 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

Just be careful about jumping close to boundaries... voice of experience. ;)

Given that one can leap the HPG walls in a single bound, yes.

Situational awareness OP.

Mine is sometimes penalized with an alt-tab quirk that also finds me late to matches, but sometimes results in reduced awareness of boundaries in my haste to catch up to lost match time. It's not hilarity which then ensues ...

#48 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

View PostVirlutris, on 07 November 2016 - 11:39 AM, said:

Given that one can leap the HPG walls in a single bound, yes. Situational awareness OP. Mine is sometimes penalized with an alt-tab quirk that also finds me late to matches, but sometimes results in reduced awareness of boundaries in my haste to catch up to lost match time. It's not hilarity which then ensues ...

Yeah I was 1v1ing a Mauler on Grim Portico and I jumped over his head and the wall behind to get my heat under control before attacking again not realising that wall was effectively the boundary marker....... and carried on going and going and going... I landed at 8 seconds.... whelp! Posted Image

#49 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostThatGuy539, on 01 November 2016 - 12:12 PM, said:

Think I'll wait for a Mechbay and/or mech sale. Still have to get some Phoenix Hawks too. Hope there are some nice sales around Christmas. Posted Image

And there was a good sale. Posted Image

Mech bays and some heroes purchased. (Including a KitFox hero that wasn't on sale, but it was worth it. 1st time out, no skills unlocked, top damage and 4 kills. I love it, and I never thought I would say that about a KitFox.)

Time to get back to leveling up mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users