Map Cycle

25 replies to this topic

#1 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:39 PM

I'm getting sick of not be able to play "my" maps. I mean, map cycle is fine and dandy, but playing all the time maps and game modes you don't like, sucks!

I just waited 40-50 cycles to see Canyon, but no, didn't got enough votes. Now I take a break and I hope it's a longer one.

#2 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:46 PM

View PostMainhunter, on 04 November 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

I'm getting sick of not be able to play "my" maps. I mean, map cycle is fine and dandy, but playing all the time maps and game modes you don't like, sucks!

I just waited 40-50 cycles to see Canyon, but no, didn't got enough votes. Now I take a break and I hope it's a longer one.

I hate to tell ya but the Cake and the Voting is a Lie. It's load balancing. Oh and the Hula Girls fake to, no belly button.

#3 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:53 PM

Posted Image

#4 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:00 PM

View PostMW222, on 06 November 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

the Cake is a Lie

Also, did OP seriously just say it took him 40-50 matches to see Canyon? Can I play the game you're playing? That's basically the only map I'm forced onto.

Edited by RestosIII, 06 November 2016 - 11:12 PM.

#5 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:10 PM

this thread needs some probability mathmatics
Posted Image

Well this is conditional probability, doesn't really work here but what the heck, the MM might as well work by this logic

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

Not sure if OP is serious...

Posted Image

#7 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:44 AM

I'm dead serious. And this doesn't only happen at one day, I actually light up a candle, every time Canyon shows up. Canyon is for me like Dust 2 in Counter strike, could play it forever, but no - not YOU!

And I also hate to play skirmish and assault games on big maps. With conquest, the chances are bigger that the hole map gets used, instead two teams building a blob and try to race into each other. With conquest, the game gets a real strategical component, broadens the line and makes 1:1 engagements more possible.

I wish we still had our former Mod choosing system. I want it back!

#8 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostMainhunter, on 04 November 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

"Bring unpopular map" system is enabled again. It was enabled about a year ago and was the major cause, that forced me to quit this game. This feature failed due to "Viridian Bog syndrome" - players still were picking same maps again, again and again. But that maps weren't the best ones - they were "the best of the worst". So at some point players just got sick of maps, like Viridian Bog, and started to quit.

There are just 4-6 worst and most unpopular maps in rotation: Therma, River, Forest, Plexus, Frozen, Caustic. It's also obvious, that players vote for "the best of the worst" ones - Frozen and Plexus. And I'm already getting sick of this two maps, cuz they're way too snipe-biased. And this maps are being repeated again, again and again. Also so big amount of forced terrible maps in rotation allows many players to stack their multipliers, so when all of a sudden good map pops - it's being outvoted by vote trolls.

So. Yesterday I tried to play this game 2-3 times, but every try ended as Alt-F4. And as I can't play game this way - I have to quit it again. I quit it, when this "Bring unpopular map" system was enabled for the first time - I quit again now, sorry. As in previous case, I won't return, till it won't be disabled.

Proof: first match of the day - and same 4 maps again. 100% chance. I don't even vote anymore... What's the point?
Posted Image

Edited by MrMadguy, 07 November 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#9 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Im dumbstruck or waht? Didnt you oppose random maps MrMadguy? As far as I know random maps could fix that voting chaos. Sure you can stack up votes in the current voting system but that takes time. And yeah random maps MIGHT get you the same map twice in a row, but as far as remember, that was uncommon enough.
Do agree theres a pattern of maps getting constantly voted on. If we all had some play on all maps, good and bad. PGI might get some data mining to do, to maybe, just maybe use that data to improve the maps somehow.

Edited by Tordin, 07 November 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#10 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Learn to like all the maps

#11 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

View PostTordin, on 07 November 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Im dumbstruck or waht? Didnt you oppose random maps MrMadguy? As far as I know random maps could fix that voting chaos. Sure you can stack up votes in the current voting system but that takes time. And yeah random maps MIGHT get you the same map twice in a row, but as far as remember, that was uncommon enough.
Do agree theres a pattern of maps getting constantly voted on. If we all had some play on all maps, good and bad. PGI might get some data mining to do, to maybe, just maybe use that data to improve the maps somehow.

Maps aren't random. They were random about a week ago. Now it's exactly the same 4-6 maps over and over again. Sorry, but THIS ISN'T RNG - this is being FORCED to play certain maps. I quit, if this BS won't be disabled tomorrow, sorry. Otherwise, inform me, when this crap will be disabled. I'm done for today - two terrible matches are enough for me.

The biggest reason, why this system is fail - is because players DON'T VOTE for maps, like Forest, River and Caustic anyway, no matter how hard PGI is trying to force them. I.e. there are always only 1-2 maps, they can pick from. So, in most cases there is no actual choice and players are literally FORCED to pick certain map, like Frozen or Plexus (Bog was that kind of map, when this system was enabled in the past). Simply because other maps are even worse. What's the point to have VOTING, if you're FORCED to pick certain map anyway? As somebody has already mentioned in this thread - it's just an illusion of democracy. PGI should just remove voting and make Frozen-Plexus-Frozen-Frozen-Plexus-etc. rotation.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by MrMadguy, 07 November 2016 - 08:39 AM.

#12 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:43 AM

View PostMrMadguy, on 07 November 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

Maps aren't random. They were random about a week ago. Now it's exactly the same 4-6 maps over and over again. Sorry, but THIS ISN'T RNG - this is being FORCED to play certain maps. I quit, if this BS won't be disabled tomorrow, sorry. Otherwise, inform me, when this crap will be disabled. I'm done for today - two terrible matches are enough for me.

Are you going for the record for "I quit" posts? Why make silly ultimatums? Map voting isn't going away tomorrow, and we all know you will still be playing.

#13 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:14 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 06 November 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

Also, did OP seriously just say it took him 40-50 matches to see Canyon? Can I play the game you're playing? That's basically the only map I'm forced onto.

Yah, I'm gonna call ******** on that as well. I think the longest I've ever seen Canyon not show up was maybe 5-7 matches, and that was during the Terra Therma event when the map selector had an obvious and well publicized bias.

#14 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:42 AM

I haven't seen the normal popular maps show up much at all recently. I went a few dozen games yesterday and didn't see HPG even show up as an option.

HPG
Canyon
Crimson

I've played like one of each of these in the last 50 games, and most of the time they aren't even up for choosing. It seems weird.

#15 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:13 PM

No argument that the vote system does favor heavy high power mechs that can be put into a match in higher numbers. The larger number of a certain playstyle is what determines which maps/modes are played.

TO FIX THIS - should if PGI put the 4 least popular maps on everybody's choice for say a random 10mins of every hour, I have a feeling the worst 3 maps would still only be selected less than 25% of the time. Maybe they could limit it to only 2 choices of maps, and group least popular and most popular.

Do not blame PGI for players choices. It is bad business to make decisions for low population/niche customers/users that upsets the larger group. If the niche is self supporting, then it is worth them making the investment.

I have found that all video games especially general pug population promotes high damage done as safely as possible. I have found it is the players themselves that create the environment that makes the games This way. The outrage was a ton worse before the maps/mode had a vote.

#16 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:27 PM

View PostMainhunter, on 07 November 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

I'm dead serious. And this doesn't only happen at one day, I actually light up a candle, every time Canyon shows up. Canyon is for me like Dust 2 in Counter strike, could play it forever, but no - not YOU!

And I also hate to play skirmish and assault games on big maps. With conquest, the chances are bigger that the hole map gets used, instead two teams building a blob and try to race into each other. With conquest, the game gets a real strategical component, broadens the line and makes 1:1 engagements more possible.

I wish we still had our former Mod choosing system. I want it back!

You are exactly the type of person I hated in Counter-Strike (There are other maps than dust2 you *bleep**bleep* sack of *bleep* Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image ), and the reason I never wanted voting in this game. I don't even know you and I really do kind of hate you.Posted Image Honestly, I would be ecstatic if Canyon/HPG/Mining were removed from the rotation for a year just so we can have some time off from those maps.

#17 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 07 November 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

"Bring unpopular map" system is enabled again. It was enabled about a year ago and was the major cause, that forced me to quit this game. This feature failed due to "Viridian Bog syndrome" - players still were picking same maps again, again and again. But that maps weren't the best ones - they were "the best of the worst". So at some point players just got sick of maps, like Viridian Bog, and started to quit.

There are just 4-6 worst and most unpopular maps in rotation: Therma, River, Forest, Plexus, Frozen, Caustic. It's also obvious, that players vote for "the best of the worst" ones - Frozen and Plexus. And I'm already getting sick of this two maps, cuz they're way too snipe-biased. And this maps are being repeated again, again and again. Also so big amount of forced terrible maps in rotation allows many players to stack their multipliers, so when all of a sudden good map pops - it's being outvoted by vote trolls.

So. Yesterday I tried to play this game 2-3 times, but every try ended as Alt-F4. And as I can't play game this way - I have to quit it again. I quit it, when this "Bring unpopular map" system was enabled for the first time - I quit again now, sorry. As in previous case, I won't return, till it won't be disabled.

Proof: first match of the day - and same 4 maps again. 100% chance. I don't even vote anymore... What's the point?
Posted Image

You need to show a bigger sample.

I did this for game mode.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 07 November 2016 - 01:27 PM, said:

You are exactly the type of person I hated in Counter-Strike (There are other maps than dust2 you *bleep**bleep* sack of *bleep* Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image ), and the reason I never wanted voting in this game. I don't even know you and I really do kind of hate you.Posted Image Honestly, I would be ecstatic if Canyon/HPG/Mining were removed from the rotation for a year just so we can have some time off from those maps.

Counter-Strike was just an example. FYI, I was a first day CS Player and Train, as one of the first maps, was my preferred one. I even preferred Action-HL over CS in the beginning, but unfortunately, the CS Mod-Maker were a tad better in making a lag free mod.

#19 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:34 AM

View PostMW222, on 07 November 2016 - 03:10 PM, said:

Just shows you, how pathetic few votes conquest gets. And for me, it's the only mode I really like. Don't we have enough players after the Steam release? So we can split the population and offer different ways of play and Map/Mod eligibility.

#20 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

So I tallied my last 16 matches. Scientifically it's not a large sample, but it mirrored what I've been seeing recently. Out of 16 matches and 4 maps to vote for per match there would be 16x4 or 64 maps up for vote. With 64 maps to vote for out of 14 total maps that exist we would expect under normal probability that each map would show up around 4 times each (64/14=4.57, so more than 4). Here is how many times the popular maps showed up for vote:

HPG 2
Crimson 2
Mining 0
Canyon 2

Is there some algorithm that is trying to get all maps played equally? In other words the more a map gets selected the less it shows up for vote to try and get the other maps to be played?

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users