103 replies to this topic

#101 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostWolfways, on 21 November 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

No. You're assuming bad teamwork on the IS side.
That side has more mechs to flank and/or pour firepower into the other side.

I do and would. So what?

Yes

No

That's what I said. Most players are "me" players.

I'd love to see some official explanation as to why something that works in every wargame ever did not work in Battletech because it sounds so ridiculous. The only explanation I can think of is that they must have screwed up the battle values in which case it would have been easier to adjust them instead of changing the whole game.

Also, pgi say a lot of things.

It doesn't work like that in every other game. Every other wargame may have individual units that balance via numbers but they also have top tier performers. For example in WH40K while orks and Tyranids have horde style balanced individual units, they also mix them with units perfectly capable of mixing it up with Space Marines one to one. Every other game has a comparable balance of units with higher level of power so there's always an option for 1 to 1; just that some factions tend to skew one direction or the other in majority. Beyond that they all have a set of rock/paper/scissors balance mechanics brought about by portable weapon setups, mages/psykers or the like vs large numbers/heavy armor/individual big damage.

Battletech had none of that. At all. It had 2 factions, one was better in every way than the other. The other just had more numbers and plot armor. So it was an absolute failure exactly because the Clans were the Clans. The original concept for the Clans had them in Star League era tech, which the IS had in a minority. However Clan pilots had a better gunnery/piloting average and as such would do the bidding thing, so they had fewer mechs but better pilots while everyone had largely the same tech base.

That? That would have been balanced. However they opted instead to go with insanely OP Clans and then balance it with story based deus ex - which was an idea of galactic stupidity that's pretty much ****** the franchise in a lot of ways. It did however fulfill the fantasies of numerous munchkins who had a game system designed to let them play totally broken OP mechs but pretend that it was still 'balanced', which it wasn't.

BV never worked. Ever. It was always a guideline, the game was balanced via friendly agreements, because a 4 LPL warhawk would kill anything/anyone, as did any CERPPC build and CERLL build. They were only beaten by vehicle hordes for the IS, which was equally broken. 40 mixed hovertanks and aircraft would wipe 5 Clan mechs before they could shoot enough to kill them all.

It was a failure based fundamental on OP Clan tech. Nobody who talks about wanting 10 v 12 balance has ever, ever brought up that Clans were also in lore supposed to be way better pilots and so argues that only the top 10/20% of players should get to play Clans. That never comes up. It's always people with middling to poor stats who desperately want the game balanced in their favor so they can pretend to be better than they are. Universally. I've never seen an exception to that - never seen a player with great stats argue in favor of that sort of broken balance.

Again though, moot point. It will never happen, because the idea is terrible.

#102 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 November 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Your anecdotal experience literally has the exact same value as a new players anecdotal experience, which is exactly the same value as my anecdotal experience, which is in total worth slightly less than a bag full of nothing. Because that at least has the value of the bag.

Nobody who's even moderately good at this game anywhere is saying that IS is better than Clans. Nobody. If you're playing with people who are so bad at the game, so bad at basic math and have such a total and completely lack of understanding of how the games mechanics work then it would explain why you've got such a skewed perspective on what balance is.

Mixed tech means eliminating any real difference between IS and Clans. It means everything just switches to Clan tech, except possibly some ballistic builds in narrow roles and the odd just for giggles match with MRMs.

Otherwise will you please go get some of these people and just go dominate the crap out of the best players in the game? FW, group queue, comp play, doesn't matter. Anywhere, any facet of the game, go take IS mechs and roll them.

Because that's not happening. Ever. At any point. Anywhere. Just bad players getting lucky sometimes or finding people even worse than they are and mistaking that for game balance.

I would put up all the math for you, again, on exactly why balance is bad and strongly in favor of Clans but it's been posted for you a dozen times in a dozen threads and you just ignore it so I'm going to save the internet the extra wasted electrons. You can look it up.

Until then, please go take IS mechs and win 2 out of 3 matches in QP or more and kill 2-6 mechs for every time you die. Go get a group of buddies in IS mechs and go roflstomp good teams in Clan mechs. Go get your IS buddies together and lead a team in FW to a 8+ w/l. Because none of that is happening. Just bads being bad and in the nature of bads, mistaking one-off anecdotal experiences for reality.

Obviously others are having different experiences. I'm just saying how things are in the game for me, but it's not a one-off experience. Before my wife quit playing for good she refused to play clan mechs because they were so bad.
They me be anecdotal but they're the only experiences I'm having, and in 6 years nothing has changed, so they are the reality for me.
I don't expect anyone to believe me though. It's like years ago when people were complaining about light mechs hardly being used and I said in most matches half of the teams were lights. People called me a liar until I played for an afternoon and took screenshots of the matches showing half the teams really were lights in most matches. After that the only response was "Oh that's weird" and the subject was immediately dropped...and people kept on complaining about the lack of lights.

So yes, my experiences are reality...for me. So I'm not ignoring others opinions on how things are. I'm just debating whether they're fact.

#103 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 November 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

It doesn't work like that in every other game. Every other wargame may have individual units that balance via numbers but they also have top tier performers. For example in WH40K while orks and Tyranids have horde style balanced individual units, they also mix them with units perfectly capable of mixing it up with Space Marines one to one. Every other game has a comparable balance of units with higher level of power so there's always an option for 1 to 1; just that some factions tend to skew one direction or the other in majority. Beyond that they all have a set of rock/paper/scissors balance mechanics brought about by portable weapon setups, mages/psykers or the like vs large numbers/heavy armor/individual big damage.

Except that you never had to use the tougher individuals or units. An army of the cheapest Skaven could beat a smaller, tougher army of equal points cost. Just as an army of Harlequins could beat a much larger army with the same points cost.

Battletech had none of that. At all. It had 2 factions, one was better in every way than the other. The other just had more numbers and plot armor. So it was an absolute failure exactly because the Clans were the Clans. The original concept for the Clans had them in Star League era tech, which the IS had in a minority. However Clan pilots had a better gunnery/piloting average and as such would do the bidding thing, so they had fewer mechs but better pilots while everyone had largely the same tech base.

That? That would have been balanced. However they opted instead to go with insanely OP Clans and then balance it with story based deus ex - which was an idea of galactic stupidity that's pretty much ****** the franchise in a lot of ways. It did however fulfill the fantasies of numerous munchkins who had a game system designed to let them play totally broken OP mechs but pretend that it was still 'balanced', which it wasn't.

BV never worked. Ever. It was always a guideline, the game was balanced via friendly agreements, because a 4 LPL warhawk would kill anything/anyone, as did any CERPPC build and CERLL build. They were only beaten by vehicle hordes for the IS, which was equally broken. 40 mixed hovertanks and aircraft would wipe 5 Clan mechs before they could shoot enough to kill them all.

So customization screwed the game. Same with MWO. Also, why custom mechs were generally not allowed in tournaments.
No surprise there really.
Still, the problem was with the BV, not the lore.

It was a failure based fundamental on OP Clan tech. Nobody who talks about wanting 10 v 12 balance has ever, ever brought up that Clans were also in lore supposed to be way better pilots and so argues that only the top 10/20% of players should get to play Clans. That never comes up.

Of course not. The game should be for anyone, but MWO players don't see the game that way do they? How many times have players been told that they shouldn't play FW if they aren't in a premade team?

It's always people with middling to poor stats who desperately want the game balanced in their favor so they can pretend to be better than they are. Universally. I've never seen an exception to that - never seen a player with great stats argue in favor of that sort of broken balance.

Again though, moot point. It will never happen, because the idea is terrible.

I don't want the game balanced in my favour. I play both sides. If I wanted that I'd just play meta, or my IS mechs all the time Posted Image

I know it will never happen (not that I think anything will really happen in MWO now because nothing has really happened in 6 years) but we'll just have to agree to disagree on the reasons why.

#104 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

[mod] Keep the discussion about LRM advice please. [/mod]

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users