• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 18 November 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

It's a rather old thread guys.

LOL, that would explain all the recommendations to use LRM 5s Posted Image.

#62 ANOM O MECH

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 993 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:24 PM

As much as people say tag I value mechs with missle velocity quirks above all others and max out velocity in skill tree. This I find makes using them in the 400-500m range much more effective.

It does seem that the best performing or as effective as possible are quirked to high heaven. Wouldn't this be obvious to PGI that the base of the weapon is too low???

#63 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:14 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 04 November 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

The easiest two things for any novice lrm wana-be-obi is to bring your own dam tag laser and shove the beagle active or clan active probe in your mech to cancel out that enemy ecm bubble. Out of the original lrm support catapult mechs only the A1 can not use a tag due to its lack on one (1) energy point. All other mechs can use a tag laser and even the Cat A1 can use a UAV.

Hell if you really want to cancel out ecm use a NARC with two tons ammo. 30 seconds of any ecm mech you shoot will have it canceled out PLUS your entire team can see it on the mini-map. Easiest way ever to get help killing an ecm mech because you just got eleven other mechs to notice that one mech.

Honestly active probe is now very over rated for counter ECM and here is why.

ECM has a 90m jamming bubble. This means your mech must be within 90m of the enemy ECM to have your TAG disrupted and since TAG counters ECM the Active Probe is a bit redundant. If the ECM is at 90m or less your kinda screwed anyhow due to the 180m LRM min range being twice the range of the ECM bubble.

So if your short on tonnage lose the BAP before TAG.

Or if your mech is clantech use the light probe instead of a half ton of ammo or armor. The reasone being the Clan LRMs can deal some damage under min. range so rarely you may have an ECM covered target at 90m or less (jamming your TAG) but still otherwise be able to deal a little damage with clan LRMs. Also light probes a lousy half ton so...

Also as to using NARC actually on the LRM carrier it's self, Another thing I would mainly recommend to clantech mechs. The I.S. launchers are just way to heavy to devote this much tonnage to a support system.

You see the issue is NARC needs to be deployed with direct LOS and at very close ranges. Only a quicker mech can exploit the narrow window of attaching a NARC and falling back to a safe launch distance for LRM use. So mainly a lighter mech like a medium. Thus why an I.S. mech will not likely possess the means to properly exploit using a NARC launcher AND also having sufficent LRM tubes to be a serious threat while also retaining the mobility needed to deploy the NARC in the first place.

But a clan medium mech...sure half tonnage launchers and "safe" XL engines make NARCing possible for LRM carriers.

#64 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

OK, so if this thread is alive again, here are some "UPDATED" LRM advices:

1) Use LOTS of LRM.. An LRM50 will punch through a mech with 3xAMS (Irondome). More than 50 LRM tubes is great.. Less than 50 will get countered by Irondomes, and will make your game more difficult.

2) If you have 50+ LRM tubes, prioritize Irondome mechs. If not, but there is another LRM boat shooting an Irondome, help that mech. even with 3 AMS, it can only take out so many missiles.

3) Keep your eyes peeled for mechs trying to rush you.. keep your distance from enemies constant.. If they move towards you, keep backing away.

4) If a light rushes you, don't call for help via the command wheel. Nobody answers that. Everybody thinks its just some light that got stuck behind enemy lines. Instead, pop a UAV. If you have good teammates, they will come and help. If you have only pugs, they might come and chase off your light rusher, out of shear greed for the kill. Popping UAVs is the most effective cry for help.

5) Stick to your team! Heard mentality is a great form of protection.

6) Because of the lock-on arc nerf, you can't LRM bend like you used to. So if you are behind cover, make sure you have enough clearance for your LRMs to go over the cover. It forces you to position differently, and a bit more risky.

7) As a LRM boat user, you know how much flack we get. How hard it actually is to be a LRM boat. So if somebody is spotting for you, and using NARC, be sure to THANK THEM. It will motivate them to be a good teammate more often. Also, if you have a "LRM dropdeck", make sure you assign one spot for a light NARC-er.. this way, you can "give back" to your fellow LRM boats and spotters. Ideally, when you are in a two-person (or more) team, if your teammate is using first two LRM boats, you support them with NARC, and then you switch.

8) Stand up against harassment of LRM boats. People are very toxic in this game, and LRM boats get a lot of undeserved toxicity. If someone is being toxic in chat or over VOIP, just on the basis of somebody's LRM usage, report them. We LRM users gotta stick together, cose' nobody else will care. Try not to spread toxicity yourself. If somebody calls you out, do not reply at all, or reply with a harsh "retort", but don't get into arguments, and don't let yourself be bullied. Mute them and move on. Report such people and move on. Just to spite them, next match, bring even more LRMs.

Also, know that if you are truly being bullied by other people's toxicity for your LRM boat playstyle, especially if they are telling you that you are not puling your weight, sharing armor, being their meatshield and such (all common toxicity arguments), the worst thing they can get from you is a useless AFK LRM boat. You DON'T have to play with toxic people. And them having one less active player will hurt them the most. Make sure you don't disconnect, so as to not rack-up penalties, but also, don't be a douche and power down, that just hurts the innocents by prolonging the inevitable. Sure, they may report you, but you report them too, so it kinda evens out. And support doesn't really do anything about that anyway..

Edited by Vellron2005, 20 November 2017 - 02:43 AM.

#65 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 20 November 2017 - 02:30 AM, said:

8) Stand up against harassment of LRM boats. People are very toxic in this game, and LRM boats get a lot of undeserved toxicity. If someone is being toxic in chat or over VOIP, just on the basis of somebody's LRM usage, report them. We LRM users gotta stick together, cose' nobody else will care. Try not to spread toxicity yourself. If somebody calls you out, do not reply at all, or reply with a harsh "retort", but don't get into arguments, and don't let yourself be bullied. Mute them and move on. Report such people and move on. Just to spite them, next match, bring even more LRMs.

If iam in a good mood i tell them what my girl has said:
"If your enemy crys and moans, you must have done something right." Posted Image

Edited by Kroete, 20 November 2017 - 02:59 AM.

#66 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

View PostKroete, on 20 November 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

If iam in a good mood i tell them what my girl has said:
"If your enemy crys and moans, you must have done something right." Posted Image

True that!

The problem is when your own team is full of toxic people..

Just the other day, my fiancee and myself were dropping our LRM duo.. and this MrToxicity (would gladly post the rat's actual name, but that would be breaking of COC and I'm under warn already for speaking my mind) decides to explain to my fiancee how she's a terrible player cose' she brought LRMs and how "he doesn't want her on his team".. I proceeded to berate him, to what he replied that he was just trying to help her be better..

I mean.. the gall! Not only does he treat random PUGS as HIS personal flying monkeys (I mean, I'm sorry, when did I sign up to be your bloody subordinate?!) but he then justifies it to himself as actually helping?!

Sorry dude, it you're being a toxic douche, you're:

1) Most definitely NOT helping, in fact only edging me on to bring even more LRM or to go AFK just to spite you

2) Expressing YOUR OWN lack of civility and manners

3) Expressing an opinion that nobody asked you about, or wants to hear

4) Ruining the game for 11-23 other people.

5) Making most of the other players re-think their choices about playing an online game with such filth.

6) Actively making the game experience worse, so even if the person is a complete newbie that started playing yesterday, you are making sure he doesn't play ever again, therefore making the playerbase smaller and MM worse, and ultimately, making the entire game die.

7) Reminding everybody why birth control is a good thing.

So yeah..

And when It comes from an enemy you just LRMed to death.. just remember what matters most in life:

Crushing your enemies.
See them driven before you
Hearing the lamentation of the women (in this came anti-lurm panzies :D )

#67 Ted Maul

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:54 AM

View PostHauptmanT, on 05 November 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

LoL at the try hards. Coming in here telling us "LRM20 bad" yet not even smart enough to explain why they would even have that opinion. Probably just had someone else tell them, so they repeat it.

Thanks for adding absolutely zero to the thread except nay-say.

I call bullsxxt on that, because those LRM 20s are actually working for me. I've watched the videos of people saying "Use small launchers" too. Yet never an explanation why. Damage spread? I'm a clanner, my missiles stream not swarm. Rate of fire? I dont need to be in the open as often getting shot at. Weight? Only IS LRM5s save weight, not the clan variants.

I'm a new scrub, been playing for a couple months. so if you have good info share it. Dont just come in here saying "wrong" and nothing else.

I saw a very interesting thread from a few years back that gave some hard numbers on why smaller launchers have better "kill" efficiency due to reduced spread (and therefore more tubes landing on the same components) but lower heat efficiency. I'll see if I can dig it out for ya when I've got access to a laptop.

Generally speaking - do whatever works for you though!

#68 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:10 AM

View PostTed Maul, on 20 November 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

I saw a very interesting thread from a few years back that gave some hard numbers on why smaller launchers have better "kill" efficiency due to reduced spread (and therefore more tubes landing on the same components) but lower heat efficiency. I'll see if I can dig it out for ya when I've got access to a laptop.

Generally speaking - do whatever works for you though!

Yeah, that was a while back when LRM5 had less spread than larger launchers.. PGI "corrected that" (read nerfed it), so now all the launchers have the same spread..

#69 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

Oldschool thread, newschool advice:

1) LRM 20s, due to their high spread are the least efficient "step-up" in terms of launchers. And the slow reloads don't help. You'll actually get better efficiency out of a 4x15 than a 4x20 most times.

2) Don't be afraid to mix missile types. LRM + ATM gives you a much better punch up close, and comparable damage at effective (600m or less) range. IS types can LRM/MRM. Why? It encourages you to get your own locks and frankly, you'll hurt them more.

3) Get your own locks and direct fire whenever you can. You can still flick missiles over the edge of hills with minimal LOS and still get Artemis bonuses.

4) As noted, saturation for Clan LRMs on a triple AMS is around 45-50 missiles for anything noticeable to get past it. HOWEVER, it's less if you're aiming at the AMS user since they don't get as much engagement time before impact. Bully them.

5) If you see someone engage a light/fast medium and you've got the shot? Take it as a priority target. Circling lights evade fewer missiles than running straight out ones do, and the worse off they are, the less trouble any survivors become later if they try for you. And likewise, fewer distractions!

5a) I'm also fond of cheap shotting them with my ATMs, but then there's a joy in watching a light circling to bring their backside into your missiles and becoming a one-shot kill. Again, distracted fast movers are ideal targets. Time your launch if you can.

#70 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 20 November 2017 - 02:30 AM, said:

4) If a light rushes you, don't call for help via the command wheel. Nobody answers that. Everybody thinks its just some light that got stuck behind enemy lines.

Or, as in my case, they don't think you're worth the effort of saving most of the time.

People are very toxic in this game, and LRM boats get a lot of undeserved toxicity. If someone is being toxic in chat or over VOIP, just on the basis of somebody's LRM usage, report them. We LRM users gotta stick together, cose' nobody else will care.

People really aren't that toxic in this game. I don't see a lot in game and I rarely have toxicity directed at me. If you are getting a lot of toxicity it's likely due to your actions and you should consider what you are doing that is provoking toxicity.

I'm not defending true toxicity, but a lot of what gets called "toxicity" often isn't or is minimally toxic. Is saying that LRMs 20s are bad you should change builds toxicity? Is telling a LRM boat in the back to share armor toxicity? Is stating that LRMs a bad (they are) toxicity?

A lot of the so called "toxicity" that LRM boats get is well deserved. They sit in the back and lob missiles at any lock they can get. They complain about their team not holding locks. They don't share armor or contribute meaningfully to the team. They refuse to listen to advice on how to get better and they whine when the team does come to save them from their mistakes.

Not all LRM boats are like this, but a large number of them shows one or more of these behaviors and the players that end up having to pick of the slack get tired of dealing with it.

3) Expressing an opinion that nobody asked you about, or wants to hear

This response is why I gave up trying to help bad players a long time ago. Even when I was truly trying to help players get better they don't want to listen to feedback (e.g. I've been chewed out for telling someone that it wasn't a good idea to bring ERLLs to scouting).

In my opinion you're one of the more toxic players in the game/forums. The fact that you're under warning should be a hint that there might be a problem with your behavior, not just the players you are running into.

Let's look at some examples:

View PostVellron2005, on 20 November 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

I proceeded to berate him

1) Most definitely NOT helping, in fact only edging me on to bring even more LRM or to go AFK just to spite you

This sounds like toxic behavior on your part.

2) Expressing YOUR OWN lack of civility and manners

7) Reminding everybody why birth control is a good thing.

Ah, yes. How very civil and mannered of you to suggest that someone shouldn't have been born.

the worst thing they can get from you is a useless AFK LRM boat. You DON'T have to play with toxic people. And them having one less active player will hurt them the most. Make sure you don't disconnect, so as to not rack-up penalties, but also, don't be a douche and power down, that just hurts the innocents by prolonging the inevitable. Sure, they may report you, but you report them too, so it kinda evens out. And support doesn't really do anything about that anyway..

And now you are literally urging people to break the TOS by not participating just because someone hurts your feelings in a match.

To switch gears a bit.

4) Ruining the game for 11-23 other people.

It goes both ways. Have you considered that by running LRMs you are potentially making the game less fun for 11-23 other players? Players can run their mouth all they want and it doesn't bother me at all. If it's too bad I can always block them. What ruins my game is when my teammates decide to go AFK or run some stupid troll build. I couldn't care less what my teammates/enemies are saying in chat. Just play the game.

Also, know that if you are truly being bullied by other people's toxicity for your LRM boat playstyle, especially if they are telling you that you are not puling your weight, sharing armor, being their meatshield and such (all common toxicity arguments),

You aren't being bullied if players are telling you you aren't pulling your weight when you aren't. It's a team game and people are naturally going to be frustrated when they feel like their teammates aren't contributing. Players are going to want to vent. Drop the persecution complex. Is it really that hard to ignore someone who tells you your build/play is bad?

View PostVellron2005, on 20 November 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

Not only does he treat random PUGS as HIS personal flying monkeys (I mean, I'm sorry, when did I sign up to be your bloody subordinate?!) but he then justifies it to himself as actually helping?!

Liking being told to "hold locks"? It's a team game. It's fair for your team to have some expectations for your performance. You can do what you want, but you have to live with the consequences of your choices.

Consider that you are basically saying, "I'm going to play the way that I want regardless of how it affects the fun of anyone else in my game." That's your right, but it's fair for your team to voice their dissatisfaction with your chosen mentality.

5) Making most of the other players re-think their choices about playing an online game with such filth.

If you can't handle people complaining and calling you out on your choices in an online game then I don't think online games are for you.

#71 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

My personal favorite response to "hold locks" was last night when someone said "ERPPC boat, hold locks pls". Ridiculous.

Encouraging people to stay exposed in order for you to get one more salvo off is bad behavior- and also ridiculous. It says, as a missile boater you want to hide, parasitically fire with minimum risk and minimum effectiveness and can't be bothered with aggressive enough play to get your own whenever possible.

Opportunity fire is well and good, but the best performance you can get from LRMs is anything but mashing the fire button at everyone's red squares from 500m back.

#72 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

I have no problem using LRM's in my assult Mechs. I have two Stalkers with LRM's as well as a third with LRM 20's. I back it up with tag just to make sure.

Advice to the new player who is using LRM's. Go onto the training grounds and practice on some targets. Learn your range first of all. LRM's have a limited range. Just because it says a 1,000 meters or so does not take into account flight path. Go onto a cold training map first. Learn to target mechs before you fire. When you are comfortable with that go onto Caustic Valley and watch your heat spike. You cannot go Mr. Missile on a hot map. Take your time. Line up your shots and let them have it. LRM's are good, but the damage is spread out all over a Mech taking them apart here and there. You wont get a head shot with one or a clean kill. They give good damage, but that damage is from the target's whole health total.

Now I'm not going to go into what is the best build for a missile boat because nobody will ever agree on one. However everything is a give and take in this game. LRM ammo is one factor. When you get a Mech you only might get one or two tons of ammo and you will fail. You have to add better armor or structure to reduce weight to carry more ammo. If you want more, you might have to give something up that you might want.

LRM 5: Little damage, harrassment
LRM 10/15: Standard build
LRM 20: Good damage, high heat, limited use because of crit and weight. Also as soon as someone figures out your packing LRM 20's, most players are gonna tell you, "you're gonna die" because they will take you out as soon as they can.

Kalimaster
Veteran Pilot in use of LRM's.

#73 Whipley

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 20 November 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

My personal favorite response to "hold locks" was last night when someone said "ERPPC boat, hold locks pls". Ridiculous.

Uh, I was in that game and the guy said it because just a moment before someone else said "lrm boat, hold locks pls". He was being silly.

#74 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostXiphias, on 20 November 2017 - 03:23 PM, said:

Is telling a LRM boat in the back to share armor toxicity?

Yes.
Sharing armour means torso twisting. Torso twisting means not firing.
By telling an LRM boat to share armour you're either telling them to stop firing to help keep you alive, or face the enemy and get their ct blown out almost instantly.

You want me to share armour? Tell pgi to make LRM's F&F.

Edited by Wolfways, 20 November 2017 - 05:29 PM.

#75 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

View PostWolfways, on 20 November 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Yes.
Sharing armour means torso twisting. Torso twisting means not firing.
By telling an LRM boat to share armour you're either telling them to stop firing to help keep you alive, or face the enemy and get their ct blown out almost instantly.

You want me to share armour? Tell pgi to make LRM's F&F.

*Blinks*
Telling a LRM boat to share armor is toxic. Wow.

Guess what? All mechs have to make a decision between firing and torso twisting. Sure, it's easier with snap weapons, but if you're sitting in the back shooting LRMs without ever taking any return fire you are absolutely being a drain on the team.

I assume you have no problem using other peoples locks? You're basically asking the team to use their armor so that you can sit in the back safely.

This kind of attitude is exactly why people have negative opinions towards LRM boats.

Let me actually try to be helpful and explain what "sharing armor" should mean. First, focus fire is what kills mechs quickly in this game. If you have 6 mechs shooting at 1 mech it is going to die quickly. If a few players are on the front line that means that the enemy team can easily focus down those targets. Conversely, if there are lots of friendly mechs on the front line the enemy has to decide between targets and will usually split fire. If any one mech starts taking damage they can disengage while their team is still fighting and then reengage once fire has switched to another target. This is "sharing armor".

Basically, as a LRM boat you should be on the same line as everyone else. If you start getting shot heavily, stop shooting, twist, and break line of sight. Once you aren't focused anymore you can reengage. Everyone doing this is "sharing armor" and good execution of this helps a lot in winning games. If everyone takes their turn getting shot and and "shares armor" the team overall does better. If players chose to stay back and not provide additional targets what often happens is that the players in the front get focused down and then you end up with most of the enemy team left mopping of the few fresh mechs in the back.

If you aren't participating in this you are being selfish and a detriment to your team's overall chances of survival.

I've played a LRM Treb, and I usually engage at ~300m, use backup weapons, and sharing armor. It really isn't that hard and I don't need LRMs to be F&F for me to do that.

#76 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Holy necro...but relevant topic.
Best way to lrm is right in the middle of your squad....like seriously.

You get the best of both worlds, you have protections form lights, you don't get left behind, and you present yourself as a target for the other team...which in writing sounds counter intuitive, but it helps your team.

#77 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostXiphias, on 20 November 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

I assume you have no problem using other peoples locks? You're basically asking the team to use their armor so that you can sit in the back safely.

Of course I use their locks, but I never ask anyone to hold locks for me. It's a bit pointless to use LRM's if I'm going to be firing direct all the time when every other weapon is better at it. I support my team by damaging the enemy and forcing some of them to run to cover (i.e. they stop firing at my teammates), but I'm not afraid to try to flank the enemy and use my lasers as well.
I don't know where this idea of sharing armour came from but it's ridiculous. Why not stop standing where the enemy are shooting you and find another spot where they aren't going to shoot back? You know, the sensible thing to do. But running around in a murderball is easier...

#78 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:10 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 20 November 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

That was me!

And I believe my exact words were: "ERPPC boat here, please hold locks." :P

#79 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostWolfways, on 20 November 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

I don't know where this idea of sharing armour came from but it's ridiculous. Why not stop standing where the enemy are shooting you and find another spot where they aren't going to shoot back? You know, the sensible thing to do. But running around in a murderball is easier...

Not to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about.

You can't always avoid taking fire, that would be nice, but there are plenty of times when it's a necessary thing. Enemies are going to shoot at you and it's naive to think that you can always just move to another position where you can magically avoid taking return fire. Games are generally won by out trading the other other team. This can be done through poking/pop tarting, but it can also be done by trading with more mechs against fewer.

Who has the stronger position, a team standing out in the open or a team hiding in building? Most people would say that the buildings is the stronger position because it has cover. Now, what happens when mechs try to poke out of the buildings 1-2 at a time to trade with the team standing in the open? They are going to take significantly more return fire than they deal. A team standing in the open can actually beat a team in cover due to pure fire superiority (e.g all 12 mechs shooting 3-4 targets that are poking at any given time). The team standing in the open will take more damage, but it will also be able to deal significantly more damage through focus fire. Taking damage can be fine as long as you are dealing more damage than you are taking. In that case you are still winning the trade.

Having more mechs on the field is always advantageous and a team only has a certain amount of total armor. A dead mech contributes no firepower, while a damaged mech can still have all its weapons. It's generally better to have 3 mechs at 75% than 2 mechs at 100% and one mech dead or crippled (25%). It's the same damage, but spread around it is less useful. Similar to how it's better spread damage to lose armor from all the components of your mech rather than to lose a component, it's better to spread damage around the team. If you can save the life of one of your teammates by taking some damage it's probably a better trade for your team.

By being a target you draw fire and make it harder for the other team to focus any one mech down. This is true in pugs and in competitive play. 12 players moving together will beat 12 players trying to play a solo game. You don't have to be in a deathball to armor share, but not sharing armor is the team equivalent to face tanking the enemy, you might do a bit more damage in the short term, but in the long term it's going to result in you actually dying faster.

#80 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:12 PM

View PostXiphias, on 20 November 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

Not to be rude, but you don't know what you are talking about.

You can't always avoid taking fire, that would be nice, but there are plenty of times when it's a necessary thing. Enemies are going to shoot at you and it's naive to think that you can always just move to another position where you can magically avoid taking return fire. Games are generally won by out trading the other other team. This can be done through poking/pop tarting, but it can also be done by trading with more mechs against fewer.

Who has the stronger position, a team standing out in the open or a team hiding in building? Most people would say that the buildings is the stronger position because it has cover. Now, what happens when mechs try to poke out of the buildings 1-2 at a time to trade with the team standing in the open? They are going to take significantly more return fire than they deal. A team standing in the open can actually beat a team in cover due to pure fire superiority (e.g all 12 mechs shooting 3-4 targets that are poking at any given time). The team standing in the open will take more damage, but it will also be able to deal significantly more damage through focus fire. Taking damage can be fine as long as you are dealing more damage than you are taking. In that case you are still winning the trade.

Having more mechs on the field is always advantageous and a team only has a certain amount of total armor. A dead mech contributes no firepower, while a damaged mech can still have all its weapons. It's generally better to have 3 mechs at 75% than 2 mechs at 100% and one mech dead or crippled (25%). It's the same damage, but spread around it is less useful. Similar to how it's better spread damage to lose armor from all the components of your mech rather than to lose a component, it's better to spread damage around the team. If you can save the life of one of your teammates by taking some damage it's probably a better trade for your team.

By being a target you draw fire and make it harder for the other team to focus any one mech down. This is true in pugs and in competitive play. 12 players moving together will beat 12 players trying to play a solo game. You don't have to be in a deathball to armor share, but not sharing armor is the team equivalent to face tanking the enemy, you might do a bit more damage in the short term, but in the long term it's going to result in you actually dying faster.

Well if someone gets pinned behind a building they screwed up, and their only hope is for the team to distract the enemy to give them a chance to escape without taking too much damage.
Of course, it's MWO and nobody ever stands in the open.

The only time you should be taking hits from multiple enemies is when they just charge into your team, which happens in way too many matches. If you're poking and taking return fire you're doing it wrong. If you're poking and taking return fire from multiple enemies you really screwed up. Flanking works well...and would work better if MWO had decent maps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users