What's Mwo's Solaris Arena Going To Look Like?

Gameplay

37 replies to this topic

#1 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:24 PM

I admit...I've played some MWLL Solaris Arena gamemode recently...and it's fun

I know, I know, "Respawns have no place in MWO!"
But, the instant action can be nice, too. It can have a place in MWO, instead of waiting 5 minutes for the MM while praying to RNGeesus half your team isn't Potato certified.
Sometimes pulling out of the garage and coming face to face with another Assault, only to mangle each other is nice. This is Shooty Stompy Robots after all, but sometimes, you just want more Shooty.

Though, MWLL's method likely won't work, because of stricter adherence to TT, and SHS being worthless. Mechlab means chassis' can't be buffed willy nilly on weaker variants.
Bringing in a dropdeck is also not likely a choice, unless there's restrictions.

I recorded a bit yesterday, but Shadowplay ate half of it. So, you have this 1 min Clip for now, with some more Assault gameplay being uploaded.

I guess we can ignore the fact the Whale Prime (on a cold planet) is perfectly viable, and that a Mauler can survive impressive amounts of damage.

In MWO, we've seen the test maps. One is very reminiscent to an arena, with 2 main levels, and a middle ground.
I can see that being single life, single weight class (either team or FFA) deathmatch. Equidistant spawns, to either side, means teams could be ruined at the tip of the Nascar, but well enough suited to FFA

I kind of expect that to be MWO's SA...same slow Match Maker for a 5 minute match. I kind of want more sustained Robot Shooty Action, personally. Something neither Quick Play or CW offers, between the matchmaking, walking 3 minutes to shoot, or waiting while they cower behind the gates.

What's your expectation of Solaris VII?

Also, MG CoF removal, #PGIPLZ

Edited by Mcgral18, 06 November 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#2 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:27 PM

MWO Solaris will be sh1t mode just made FFA. Minimally viable, minimal amount of programming, ggclose.

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:29 PM

If only MW:LL's basic maps were a thing in MWO...

I know they are different games, but just stealing basic concepts from MW:LL would be an improvement... considering MWO is half the game the MW:LL is on a fundamental level (even while there are flaws in MW:LL, I could see lots of TLC involved).

Edited by Deathlike, 06 November 2016 - 12:29 PM.

#4 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:30 PM

Mortal combat with mechs. Better announcer to and not as lame. Posted Image Solaris atmosphere will have to be brought to the player.

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 November 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

I always figured Solaris in MWO would just be 1v1 battles with a leaderboard; nothing more complicated than that.

Basically, zero design effort at all. No respawns, certainly, and unlikely a drop deck. Just a straight up 1v1 (+ maybe 2v2, etc) ranked battles.

#6 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 November 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

I always figured Solaris in MWO would just be 1v1 battles with a leaderboard; nothing more complicated than that.

Basically, zero design effort at all. No respawns, certainly, and unlikely a drop deck. Just a straight up 1v1 (+ maybe 2v2, etc) ranked battles.

Well, I figure PGI will try to "fix up" those 1v1 to 4v4 Skirmish maps and then call it a day.

#7 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 November 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Well, I figure PGI will try to "fix up" those 1v1 to 4v4 Skirmish maps and then call it a day.

Yeah, something like that.

If we're REALLY lucky, it'll have formal teams for rankings (think WoW Arena teams).

But really, expect minimal effort; the simplest way it can be implemented. Straight up ordinary battles with limited teams and rankings are about the most likely result. Small bit of UI work, and basically no change to gameplay whatsoever. Just Skirmish with 1v1 or what have you. Basically a shinier front end for private matches.

#8 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:42 PM

I can't wait to find out what we'll be getting ... 90 days after MechCon, of course.

Posted Image

Edited by Appogee, 06 November 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#9 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

24 FFA itll be a zoo. Posted Image

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 November 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#10 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 November 2016 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yeah, something like that.

If we're REALLY lucky, it'll have formal teams for rankings (think WoW Arena teams).

But really, expect minimal effort; the simplest way it can be implemented. Straight up ordinary battles with limited teams and rankings are about the most likely result. Small bit of UI work, and basically no change to gameplay whatsoever. Just Skirmish with 1v1 or what have you. Basically a shinier front end for private matches.

The thing is though, I almost feel that way about FW.

Pick a random feature described in the infamous launch vid, and implement it.

Quality? It doesn't matter... as long as we can get the checkbox on "1 added feature to CW/FW"... it's good enough.

The sheer irony is that this is possible to accomplish while having a reason to keep doing this indefinitely, except that usually piecemealing even just one feature should actually work and get refined ASAP. I don't even know what nerf you can do to the Long Tom outside removing it altogether... since it was left doing its thing (wrecking players left and right) until the queue cleansing was completed.

It's what makes the original UI 2.0 seem like a painful moratorium of sorts.

#11 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:49 PM

OP are you saying MWO is getting ready to have solaris?

I don't keep up with the news that much is why I a asking

#12 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 November 2016 - 12:45 PM, said:

The thing is though, I almost feel that way about FW.

Pick a random feature described in the infamous launch vid, and implement it.

Quality? It doesn't matter... as long as we can get the checkbox on "1 added feature to CW/FW"... it's good enough.

The sheer irony is that this is possible to accomplish while having a reason to keep doing this indefinitely, except that usually piecemealing even just one feature should actually work and get refined ASAP. I don't even know what nerf you can do to the Long Tom outside removing it altogether... since it was left doing its thing (wrecking players left and right) until the queue cleansing was completed.

It's what makes the original UI 2.0 seem like a painful moratorium of sorts.

Solaris isn't the hard part of making this game. But it will be quick matches that should be fun and with variety. Thats what Solaris has always been. This with the spirit of gladiator games and crowds and lights atmosphere. How they balance Solaris with the rest of the game will be interesting.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 06 November 2016 - 12:52 PM, said:

Solaris isn't the hard part of making this game. But it will be quick matches that should be fun and with variety. Thats what Solaris has always been. This with the spirit of gladiator games and crowds and lights atmosphere. How they balance Solaris with the rest of the game will be interesting.

Solaris is still deathmatch.

This is literally no different than all the other existing modes of this game.

#14 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 November 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Depends. Maybe a better way to look at it is how will it fit with the rest of the game. That's one of the interesting parts and biggest things to guess about.

Faction play is changing in some way. Skill tree is changing in some way. Solaris is an unknown. Repair and rearm is being added in some form, maybe not soon, no one knows. Lots of guesses to make and things to look forward to. New game modes(2 new game modes have been mentioned so far). The list goes on. Even changes to modules was mentioned on this forum recently.

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 November 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#15 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 November 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

If only MW:LL's basic maps were a thing in MWO...

I know they are different games, but just stealing basic concepts from MW:LL would be an improvement... considering MWO is half the game the MW:LL is on a fundamental level (even while there are flaws in MW:LL, I could see lots of TLC involved).

Having played lots of MWLL before and now with the patch, I can say Terrain Control game mode really makes the game. Every round with TSA turns out to be more boring than MWO, because it plays like MWO with worse controls.

1:1 copy of TC game mode in MWO (with respawns, choosing different assets, not necessarily buying them) would make the game quite interesting.

#16 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:08 PM

View PostI O O percent KongLord, on 06 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

Having played lots of MWLL before and now with the patch, I can say Terrain Control game mode really makes the game. Every round with TSA turns out to be more boring than MWO, because it plays like MWO with worse controls.

1:1 copy of TC game mode in MWO (with respawns, choosing different assets, not necessarily buying them) would make the game quite interesting.

The new maps alone will be welcomed. There really is a very long list of new stuff coming no one knows the details about.

#17 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostI O O percent KongLord, on 06 November 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

I thought you said TC was boring because it plays like MWO, but you want to add it? That's not really a good job of selling that game mode. ;)

#18 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 06 November 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Except it'll likely have no matchmaker; or at least a pared down version. But yeah, it'll just be small-team skirmish, expecting anything else is unrealistic and frankly blindingly stupid at this point.

#19 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 06 November 2016 - 12:24 PM, said:

So is there no torso twisting at all in MWLL or what?

#20 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:30 PM

Just picture what solaris will look like in your mind...cuz thats prolly the only place it'll ever happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users