Help Me New Player Feedback

33 replies to this topic

#1 Jin Quiet

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:17 AM

Hello!

New pilot here and I'd like to ask you, battle hardened veterans, some questions.

In my piloting career I'm at the crossroads right now and here is why. So far I've only played trial mechs, mostly light ones and a "laser Crab" so you can imagine how narrow my experience has been so far. I kind of did my homework and read a lot of stuff about MWO but I haven't played Mech games after Mechwarrior 3, so yeah, it's hard to absorb all the information fast enough.

So I want to buy my first mech, the one that will satisfy my play style and will be fun to pilot.

Speaking about playstyle, I prefer to be a fast moving, scout, sniper, or medium sized long range sniper/brawler or something of the sort.

I'm thinking about getting Raven RVN-3L, mostly because of ECM and Er-Large Lasers.
Other possible preferences are medium "Shadow Cat" or "Stormcrow" but I'm not really sure about those.

And another one. How to approach the question of my first upgrades and modules? I read some articles on the subject but I guess short tip from experienced pilots might push me in the right direction so that instead of stumbling in the dark and upgrading mech's swimming skills or something I’ll actually get something useful for me and my lance...

#2 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:46 AM

The question is, do you want to play Clan or Inner Sphere? On the Clan side, I'd recommend getting that Stormcrow if you want more boom, or an Arctic Cheetah if you're more focused on speed and scouting. A somewhat cheaper alternative would be the Hunchback IIC. On the IS side, the Raven is a solid choice, if you want something sturdier with ECM, Griffins are pretty strong. For maximum variety within the chassis, get a Hunchback.

Unlock Radar Deprivation first, after that, you probably have your own ideas on what you need to improve your mech according to your playstyle.

And here's 2 links:

http://metamechs.com/
Lots of infos about mechs, how good they are and how to build and master them

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
An offline mechlab to play around with builds

#3 Black Phoebe

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 02:53 AM

Of the three Mechs you mentioned the Stormcrow is the most versatile Mech. It is fast, has good hitboxes and can do almost all kind of laser or missile build pretty well. You can also run a single ballistic with some backup weapons.

The Shadowcat has ECM, Masc and Jumpjets, but hardpoints and hitboxes are somewhat inferior to the Crow. It is a pretty good Sniper and can be effective as well.

The Raven has ECM, can move fast and its high hardpoints make a good sniper and a decent light Mech. If you like fast strikers the Arctic Cheetah will probably serve you better. However, Lights are not exactly the strongest weight class and it takes some experience to make them work.

Personally i would say the Crow is one of the best choices for a new player, because it allows you to try a lot of different playstyles. Hunchbacks are another good choice, mainly because they are versatile too, and cost a lot less than Crows.

Edit: it seems i got ninja'ed. Did'nt know they have already internet on the other side of the Rhine. :)

Edited by Black Phoebe, 07 November 2016 - 03:00 AM.

#4 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:43 AM

i recommend a chassis that can do it all for a first 3 variant chassis

nowadays i would recommend the warhammer,it can brawl,laserspam,snipe,and do missile rain with 3 variants.

with the old and reliable hunchback you are giving bit too much equalizer to the enemy.

i started my mech career with hunchback and i liked it,but currently it is basically the hardmode for newcomers,try it for fun when you are more experienced,but it can be a frustrating first chassis in this current situation.

#5 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:32 AM

To you and given your preferences I will l advise you Shadow Cat, it's a medium with ECM that has very good mobility for its class and can snipe easily.

That said I would still suggest you to think about getting a more generic mech that let's you experiment as many roles as possible and not just that of a mobile sniper and in that case I'd recommend Shadowhawk for IS and Stormcrow for Clan side.

Stormcrow isn't right now the best of the best in its class but it remains a close second and has better intrinsic qualities than its current over performer the Nova that is there mostly because of quirks which come and go with the wind.

Shadowhawk is a mediocre mech to be honest, but let's you experiment with all roles in battletech with IS tech, if learning and getting to experiment is your thing and you want to be IS Shadowhawk remains the best introductory mech to MWO.

#6 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

There are two mechs I really stress for first mechs, as they both teach good piloting skills and gunnery skills.

Hunchback:

The humble Hunchback is a very versatile platform that stresses gunnery due to often packing a large and heay single weapon system, as well as several variants that use lasers, ballistics or missiles, usually in some combination of two of those three weapon systems. Due to the relatively low cost of using a Hunchback in terms of upgrades, they are an easy unit to get your feet wet with. The Hunchback also stresses positioning, as with a unit like the 4G, you are using a short range, heavy hitting weapon system (AC/20), so you need to be in the right spot at the right time to mug something in a back ally.

Centurion:

Often overlooked and ignored for the Hunchback, the Centurion family is an extremely durable, new player friendly chassis, as a trooper mech, it usually packs a smaller ballistic than the Hunchback, but also has a missile launcher as well as lasers for back up weapons. Also note that this is one of the few IS chassis that can work well with either a standard engine or large XL engine, as the mech is very good at rolling damage through torso twisting. Speaking of torso twisting, that is one of the most important skills to get down in MWO.

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:10 PM

So, it depends on many a thing. For starters, which weaponry you prefer. Clan weaponry runs higher heat, more range n' damage. On average. Is mechs tend to run shorter burn times but closer range weaponry. Unless you plan on gauss sniping, in which case, have at it. Or using PPCs.

In fact, given the preference for sniping, I'd counsel against lasers, and suggest a regime of ppc and gauss sniping. Lasers have burn time, and are easy to follow back to the sniper, gauss and ppcs are fire and forget for quicker repositioning and are harder to backtrace. Yes, the downside is learning to lead.

Still, my thoughts, based on the limited selection, would be the Shadow-cat. Since you mentioned a preference for ecm, it has it, but the Shadowcat also comes with Jump-Jets, which help immensely with positioning, and a true sniper should be repositioning often.

Also, of those three the Shadowcat'll help teach good torso twisting, which the raven and the Ryoken (Stormcrow) aren't so good about.

Now, if you wanted a learning mech, for gameplay, positioning and weapons testing, it's hard to go wrong with the Hunchback Trio of ballistics, energy an missiles. The triplets'll let you learn every weapon system and teaches you to protect the hunch. Whilest not as manouverable as the shadowcat, not having that kinda ability to get yourself outta trouble (or into it, as I prefer,) does help teach proper positioning as well.

But then, do you want your first mech for learning, or for getting out there and having your preferred method of fun already?

P.S. As for modules, Save for mechs first. But, once your ready to get one, unlock seismic sensors.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 07 November 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#8 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

I'd recommend starting with hunchback iic.

The reason is that it's a strong mech that is in between heavy and light mechs in terms of maneuverability, can mount jump jets, and has good builds for pretty much any clan laser or ballistic weapons.

It's a good mech to learn all the basic s before you figure out what play styles you enjoy.

The reason I don't recommend the Raven is that it just doesn't have enough fire power. Same with a shadow cat. Some days you might want to try brawling in that thing and , guess what, you can't.

You can scout real well with a shadow cat, but there's no guarantee people will use your Intel.

If you really want a lighter faster mech I'd go with a arc. Im just starting to get into lights after many years playing and the cheetah is really enjoyable. You can load it with 2x erll and out snipe a Raven, or 6 small pulse and be a serious close range threat.,

For modules, if no ecm then radar dep first. If ecm then seismic or target info gathering.

For optimized builds see

http://metamechs.com...meta-tier-list/

Mind you these are designed to be effective, not necessarily fun, which only you could decide.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 08 November 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#9 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:28 PM

I've got to vote for the Raven 3L. If you are new or newish it's a fun and great little mech to learn on. The community understands that it is a long range scout so you're not going to be expected to lead pushes or have face to face brawls with Kodiaks or Maulers. People will understand why you are keeping a bit of distance between yourself and the action, and you can use the scouting role to practice communications and mech identification (e.g. "enemy warhawk spotted, Echo4"). Plus the ECM lets you stay under the radar both literally and figuratively, putting a bit less pressure on you at first.

Its the mech I first purchased and used when I was learning the game and it was a blast. But whatever you choose will be fun. Make sure to ask more experienced players about build ideas for it or strategies or even just where to stand on the map. There are loads of great players who will be happy to give you some pointers.

Edited by Dex Spero, 08 November 2016 - 04:29 PM.

#10 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

Well,

I read your post closely, and you perhaps have already piloted the right mech for you.

Consider the Crab. It is hardy, it is fast'ish, it spams lasers well. Its just a very viable mech.

But the ShadowCat is good, the StormCrow is amazing.

The Raven is solid.

Enjoi

#11 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:43 AM

View PostFlak Kannon, on 08 November 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Consider the Crab. It is hardy, it is fast'ish, it spams lasers well. Its just a very viable mech.

Raven-3L is a bad mech for a new player.

It requires expensive upgrades just to start using it. In fact, a decent Raven-3L build will set you back 13.2 million C-bills.

It spits out little damage, therefore it won't earn much C-bills. You can try and NARC targets for the LRM-boats in lower tiers but it's extremely situational, and relies on you team mates being capable and the enemies being cluless. And it's won't teach you anything besides dying as a last player on your team. Even the Raven-2x and 4x are better nowadays because at least they can dish out more damage.

You can buy Stormcrow-Prime for 11.1 million C-bills and it comes fully upgraded with a big XL engine and DHS, Endo, Ferro upgrades. You even got 2xERLL 3xERML and 22 DHS to work with. Thanks to omnipods you can try out every clan weapon on this single mech.

If you're on a budget CRB-27B is a bargain at 4.2 million C-Bills. (stock with DHS and Ferro) You can get a solid build CRB-27B 6xMPL for just 5.6 million C-Bills. I guarantee it will win against any Raven-3L.
It does not require an expensive XL engine, in fact it's better without one. At least for a new player. This mech is super tough and very forgivable.

PS. Centurion and Hunchback are not very beginner-friendly. Both require using 2 or 3 weapon types at once, which might be confusing for a new player.

Edited by Kmieciu, 09 November 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:46 AM

What!? Nonsense. Two button mechs are a solid beginner's choice. Either a simple, Rightside/Leftside split, or as often as not, a Laser/Missile, or Laser/Ballistic combo. I mean, sure, now-a-days I've some truely horrific weapons load outs, but back in the day those where how I learned the game, and they're still some of my favourite mechs.

~Leone.

#13 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

timberwolf, because most versitile mech to lern all the various ways to play different weapons. and one of the best chassis that can do that.

it can be made into with all possible laodouts, Energy boating, Missile boating, a bit Ballistics boating or mixed, with or without JJ's and a well sized engine.

Is (or battlemechs in general) mechs will doom you with needing various and expensive engines if you want to optimise various loadouts. but with a single TBR you can try and play every style due to how its well optimised in many points and allows pod swapping.

Stormcrow is nice too, it's faster but no JJ's and of course less armor and no B boating due to just 50t's.but can also do M and E boating.

View PostLeone, on 09 November 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

What!? Nonsense. Two button mechs are a solid beginner's choice. Either a simple, Rightside/Leftside split, or as often as not, a Laser/Missile, or Laser/Ballistic combo. I mean, sure, now-a-days I've some truely horrific weapons load outs, but back in the day those where how I learned the game, and they're still some of my favourite mechs.

~Leone.

Thats not entirely true, they make people somehwta handle a mech but they will never go out and get better of they never lerned to handle something more complex and soon will be stuck at a medicore level of gameplay.

a good beginner mech allows a player to try out many stuff. and in my opinion the TBR is still the most versitile doing so. needs only one chassis to experiene all possibilities.

Edited by Lily from animove, 09 November 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#14 Jin Quiet

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:50 AM

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome and valuable tips.

Thanks to you I finally know where I want to go with my piloting career.

So the starting point for me is going to be one of those mechs: Shadowcat (one of the variants), Hunchback IIC or Jenner IIC.

See you one the battlefield!

P.S. Preference for Clan tech is mostly due to the possibly better build flexibility, and 50% of Russian blood running through my veins.

#15 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:32 AM

Best of luck! See you on the battlefield you dirty clanner ;)

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

View PostRear Admiral Tier 6, on 07 November 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

i started my mech career with hunchback and i liked it,but currently it is basically the hardmode for newcomers,try it for fun when you are more experienced,but it can be a frustrating first chassis in this current situation.

Hard mode? The Hunchie is hard mode with its
  • financially sound design (won't break your bank and you could have almost enough for two of them plus optimizations with just the starting cash of the 25 match injections, this is assuming you replace one engine which really isn't even necessary),
  • quite tanky so long as no one thinks to go for the legs,
  • and models like the 4G can torso twist enough to shoot almost directly behind itself,
  • meanwhile the 4SP with its arm-based weapons can't twist as much but if you learn how to use your arms independent of your torso you can have an even greater firing arc than the 4G can possibly hope for (meaning you instead of just going almost 180, with torso plus the arms you can shoot 227 meters behind and to the side of you).
  • And if you're willing to trade economy for speed, the Hunchback can provide.
  • Then you still have the fact that it is among the smallest 50 ton mechs even after the rescale.
All and all, I don't see hard mode there beyond what any medium would be. If you want hard mode, try a Trebuchet.

(This said, the Crab is far more economically viable... it's also quite a bit bigger. Now Hunchback IIC... that's not quite the same story).

------------------
Jin:
Due to your preferences, go for a Jenner IIC. My 213 loaded mechbays and dynamic playstyles give me the suggestion you will be happy with Jenners and their IIC cousins.

Wait a while on the Shadow Cat; it's a pretty good mech but it is large and fragile. MASC is loads of fun but blowing out your legs isn't. This one takes a decently high bit of skill and I don't say that lightly.

Good luck with your new mech and I hope to see you in the field soon. Welcome to MWO.

Edited by Koniving, 12 November 2016 - 06:39 AM.

#17 Wedge Red Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 103 posts
  • LocationYavin 5

Posted 12 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostJin Quiet, on 12 November 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

Thank you guys so much for the warm welcome and valuable tips.

Thanks to you I finally know where I want to go with my piloting career.

So the starting point for me is going to be one of those mechs: Shadowcat (one of the variants), Hunchback IIC or Jenner IIC.

See you one the battlefield!

P.S. Preference for Clan tech is mostly due to the possibly better build flexibility, and 50% of Russian blood running through my veins.

The hunchbacks IMHO are perfect mechs for new pilots, and they won't lose there usefulness as you gain experience.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:12 AM

View PostJin Quiet, on 12 November 2016 - 04:50 AM, said:

I know it doesn't fall under Clans, and while it can serve the roles you want they may not be the best for it...

....but it's free and has a 30% cbill boost.
https://mwomercs.com...s-piranha-games
Scroll down (video is optional), anyway it gives a redemption code and on any MWO page, the "Redeem" button next to "Online" and "" is where you put the code.

One free Centurion with 30% earnings cbill boost.

Edited by Koniving, 12 November 2016 - 07:12 AM.

#19 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 07:38 AM

Most everything above is super sound I would add the recommendation to go clan first.

It cost more to buy in, but if you snag say the Shadow Cat (would be my personal preference but I prefer mechs that tank by mobility more than other options, and being hard point starved it still mounts a number of interesting options. There is a thread about Shadow Cat arch-types worth a read if you go this way), You need to buy 3, to master the mech sooo... lets say Prime, Alpha, Bravo.

You can then mix and match the Omin-pods to make it so each does what you want it to, and discard or store the extra omni-pods. When I first ran them I just set up the standard Energy sniper build, skilled one out, moved the omni-pods to the next, rinse, repeat. Once I had some C-Bills back for the modules and omni-pods for another build I set one up as an LRM boat, etc...

Once mastered you can see why Omni-mechs are a better starting point. If you have all 3 masters, you can strip the omni-pods off 2, sell the 'mech (which is really just the CT/Head/Legs) and retain all the parts to reconfigure on the fly, allowing you extra mech bays to start work on the next Chassis.

As a rough rule I kind of prefer IS mechs, but that versatility really makes Clan mechs much friendlier to new players as you grind out C-Bills and decide if you want to invest in more Mechbays.

#20 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:01 AM

View PostKoniving, on 12 November 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

I know it doesn't fall under Clans, and while it can serve the roles you want they may not be the best for it...

....but it's free and has a 30% cbill boost.
https://mwomercs.com...s-piranha-games
Scroll down (video is optional), anyway it gives a redemption code and on any MWO page, the "Redeem" button next to "Online" and "" is where you put the code.

One free Centurion with 30% earnings cbill boost.

Seconded.

Even if you don't run it anytime soon,

1) free is free

2) you might find something fun to do with it later.

3) Cents are pretty good teachers for the skirmishing playstyle, and for learning to use a shield arm. I survived Kon's 6xAC2 KGC experiment in a match on the Bog (barely) because I was piloting the Cent hero and I'd been practicing shielding and dancing amidst cover. They're good teachers because they reward practice and good positioning habits.

4) the best Centurion builds are basically 2-button builds, with maybe a 3rd button for managing heat while spitting out that last bit of damage to end someone.

5) The NCIX freebie (the -A) along with the -AH and the -AL give nice variety. The -AL is a very competent midrange poker, which also rewards good positioning and shielding as much as the other Cents. I picked up LPLs on the -AL before it was cool, because of a suggestion from Kon. It's outperformed anything else on that variant by a wide margin, even when LLs were the supposedly better build for it. -AH is more fun than it seems, despite the ammo dependency. It can hit mighty hard with AC20 and SRMs.

6) free stuff

7) Really, Cents may not be the absolute best much for a brand new player, and They may not be top-notch world-beating meta monsters, but very competent and they're great for your skill development a bit later on.

If you haven't quit reading yet, please go redeem that code. Kon's right, and I can't help piling on. Piloting Cents taught me a lot, and I had a lot of fun in them. Free mech!

Edit: spelling

Edited by Virlutris, 12 November 2016 - 08:02 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users