#1 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:07 AM

Why are these Mechs gimped with a three mod slots only? After the release of the kodiak, cyclops and night gyr it's obvious that these Mechs are not over powered. It's my best estimate why they were nerfed is because at the time it was one of the best heavy and medium chassis for Clan pilots to use. Therefore the best pilots beating up on the poor inner sphere pilots Hurt their feelings.
If we want to talk about overpowered how about we talk about inner sphere cooldown, structure, heat, and torso twist speed/acceleration, weapon convergence. Anybody seen how fast the king crab and hunchbacks torso twist speeds are? Considerably faster it seems then most clan Mechs. Gotta give them something right?

#2 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostNatred, on 07 November 2016 - 10:07 AM, said:

Why are these Mechs gimped with a three mod slots only? After the release of the kodiak, cyclops and night gyr it's obvious that these Mechs are not over powered. It's my best estimate why they were nerfed is because at the time it was one of the best heavy and medium chassis for Clan pilots to use. Therefore the best pilots beating up on the poor inner sphere pilots Hurt their feelings.
If we want to talk about overpowered how about we talk about inner sphere cooldown, structure, heat, and torso twist speed/acceleration, weapon convergence. Anybody seen how fast the king crab and hunchbacks torso twist speeds are? Considerably faster it seems then most clan Mechs. Gotta give them something right?

I'll trade quirks for Clan Gauss, Clan DHS, Clan Endo, Clan Ferro and Clan XL engines - deal?

On a serious note, Mad Cats and Ryokens are still some of the best - if not arguably *the* best - 'mechs in their class.

#3 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

So your saying the stormcrow and Timberwolf are so overpowered they deserve to have one less module slot then every other mech in the game?? Come on let's be serious... you got to be kidding me? Stormcrow carries it's weapons in its arms.. disarmed. Timberwolfs just feel really sluggish and gimped when piloting it.

#4 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

*Most* stormcrows have considerable power left even if you take the arms. A laser vomit crow will still have 2LPL and an ERML left, and you can build so that one arm is a shield arm, and the other has your remaining lasers.

A missile crow will still have 3M left if you strip the arms. Sure, the arms tank a lot, but if you really want to see arms just drop off, buy a firestarter.

And Timberwolves are gimped? They're one of the top 5 mechs in the game right now? Stock XL375 -- more than enough agility and mobility for any heavy.

If anything, the doomcrow and the timbergod are in exactly the position they need to be. We need IS buffs, not clan buffs, not after the IS had most of its workhorses (except the T'bolt) nerfed with the last few big patches.

And specifically IS lights buffed.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 07 November 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#5 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:21 PM

Timberwolf top 5? I seriously doubt that. Maybe a year ago it was top 5.. Definitely not anymore.

#6 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:57 AM

View PostNatred, on 07 November 2016 - 04:21 PM, said:

Timberwolf top 5? I seriously doubt that. Maybe a year ago it was top 5.. Definitely not anymore.

Hate having to refer to metamechs, but GMan is a far better player than I am, and he puts it no.4 on the meta tier list.

It's not better than the Gyr, but it is better than any IS heavy right now.

#7 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:11 AM

Leave him alone... he has an agenda, and wants a more powerful Twolf ... that should say a lot.

P.s. : If the power creep keeps going, at some point we should revisit this...

Edited by Nik Reaper, 08 November 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#8 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:31 AM

So explain to me how one weapon module slot makes these Mechs overpowered?

#9 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:04 AM

View PostNatred, on 08 November 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

To try that another way, since this is your thread, why don't you tell us why having 1 less makes them underpowered?

#10 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

It doesn't? Its the rest of the package being so good that means in spite of having one less module slot they are still seriously strong mechs.

#11 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 08:23 AM

If you can't make a timby work as of now, you probably never will. No amount of module slots will help you in that regard.
If ya want you can always add a targeting comp, sorta same effects as modules.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:13 AM

because balance compare dto others of their weight. Just becasue some are even stronger then them doesn't means we should buff those even more. Especially with how strong SCR's and TBR's still are. you make it look like they are bad.

Edited by Lily from animove, 09 November 2016 - 06:14 AM.

#13 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

Scrowcrow's pretty beast for a 55 Tonner

#14 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

Well both mechs are still quite good, neither are the apex predators they once were. As such, I think the single module slot is a bit of a vestigial organ from the early days of the clan release and subsequent quirkening.

If either mech were released today I am almost 100% certain they would both have 2 weapon module slots.

#15 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

Considering the fact that a number of IS mechs have a total of 5 or even 6 module slots on top of their insane quirks, cooldown times, laser durations, and massive population imbalance, the answer is clear. PGI is simply catering to their biggest client base: the IS. Why else would they continue to allow the IS to still bring more tonnage into Invasion matches despite those same people repeatedly claiming that Clan and IS mechs are now "balanced" against each other after numerous waves of nerfing Clan mechs? What further proof does anyone need that PGI is biased towards the IS and against the Clans?

Edited by Jep, 15 November 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#16 Agent Seraphin

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostJep, on 15 November 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Considering the fact that a number of IS mechs have a total of 5 or even 6 module slots on top of their insane quirks, cooldown times, laser durations, and massive population imbalance, the answer is clear. PGI is simply catering to their biggest client base: the IS. Why else would they continue to allow the IS to still bring more tonnage into Invasion matches despite those same people repeatedly claiming that Clan and IS mechs are now "balanced" against each other after numerous waves of nerfing Clan mechs? What further proof does anyone need that PGI is biased towards the IS and against the Clans?

I'm new at the game but I sure see allot more clan mechs and Clanners than IS peeps and mechs.

#17 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:26 AM

View PostJep, on 15 November 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

IS Mechs were clearly stronger post December patch, and the balance shifted back to the clans with the April patch.

Barring that, IS has had a few stand-out mechs, but Clans have been collectively superior. Right now,

Best assault - KDK-cheese.
Best heavy - Night Gyr and TBR. WHM is close
Best medium - Hunch IIC
Best light - Arctic Cheetah

Notice a pattern here?

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:04 AM

Very simple to answer this indeed.

They already where overpowered.

Mechs like Kodiak, Nightgyr and ACH are even worse.

(Observe how many Cyclops are stalking the battlefield....can't see them ? Well go figure.)

#19 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:18 AM

It's actually the same issue with the Atlas DDC.

#20 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 18 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

really if your trying to look at balance between tech bases then i suggest looking at the II-C mechs and the IS equivalents, comparing a Twolf to a Tbolt isnt really that useful.

I would say that the Highlanders (IS and Clan) are the best example to use, both have near identical variants with very similar hitboxes and near identical weapon placement (missiles/energy get switched around). The major difference is that one uses Clan tech and the other IS.

The Highlander 732B and the IIC-C have the exact same ballistic hardpoints and positioning, and the same missile and energy hardpoint count, but have the torso mounted M/E hardpoints switch position. Also near same hitboxes, JJ count and even Structure/Armor quirks are similar. The only difference is Clan weapons and Clan equipment and IS weapon quirks. Which performs better?

Edited by VitriolicViolet, 18 November 2016 - 12:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users