147 replies to this topic

#141 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 16 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

I have only taken it out for a spin once, setting it up as dual er ppc with those high torso mounts. Got 2 kills while completely unleveled which is encouraging...

My only other comment is that for some reason those high torso mounts FEEL realy high, like distractingly so when you are trying to consider your angle of attack. Took a little while to get over it but it may suffer from the mount/head height difference issue so that if you are hill humping you still have to expose more than you want so that your weapons and your reticule are clear if obstructions...

Think of it as the reverse Orion syndrome

#142 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:14 AM

This has to be the best clan mech pack you can buy, especially for people who don't want to fiddle around in the mech bay. I haven't made any changes other than modules the loadouts and piloting this mech is amazing. I would highly recommend this mech to beginners (it will suck when you have to play other mechs again) and experienced players alike.

#143 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

View PostEidolon 29, on 16 November 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

I bought the Linebacker purely on grounds of it being an old favorite of mine from the battletech card game and lore. I did not, like many, expect the mech to perform well when compared to other clan mechs in the heavy, or even medium classes.

I truly expected the Linebacker to be another Vindicator type mech in my bays. Fun to take out and play for the sake of lore and love of the mech, but not when winning or completing events is the primary goal. To that end I am pleasantly surprised with the performance of the mech so far. As a pilot who prefers speed/agility in my mechs (XL everything even Awesome 9M before quirks) I've found the Linebacker fun to play, and holding it's own in quick play matches so far. This is without any pilot skills unlocked as well. As I'm a Marik loyalist in faction play I can't comment on how it performs there, and would like to know others opinions regarding such. While still early, I have not heard any complaints of the mech being OP nor totally useless in any of my matches yet. Also if it matters to anyone reading this I am Tier 1 (just shows anyone can make it there if you play enough matches).

To that end I would like to congratulate PGI on a well constructed mech right out the door. Hope more such mechs continue to follow.

Black Lanner next!!! (another "over-engined" mech that can really kick-*** if done right)

#144 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostOdanan, on 16 November 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

Black Lanner next!!! (another "over-engined" mech that can really kick-*** if done right)

Yeah, that is another mech that people will whine about not having enough podspace, but Omni Mechs are not supposed to be about having maximum podspace for boating, they are about maximizing the mech's intended role.

#145 Ukos

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

First impression of the linebacker is neutral leaning towards it being a little mediocre

Positives - it maneuvers ok for a heavy nice to have a decent amount of speed for a clan heavy
- it looks far better than the original line art so kudos to PGI there.
- arms shield moderately well

Negatives - even running near max frontal armour CT dies very quickly
- most of firepower is in arms if running direct fire
- unimpressive weight of fire

Overall - seem to play best as a flanker poking holes in the enemy when they are distracted.

#146 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 09 December 2016 - 05:53 PM

I was looking at the comparison images to all the other 65 ton mechs and then I wondered why the Linebacker has the seemingly biggest CT hitbox of all those mechs? It carries the least amount of weapons (18 tons max), and you can't change this in mechlab. No ECM, no MASC, at least not yet. It has the center torso shape closest to mechs like the Catapult and Stalker and Timber Wolf, but in the case of the Linebacker it seems to be all CT similar to a Dire Wolf, which carries a lot more than 18 tons of weapons. I think you should correct this to make the mech competitive with it's 18 ton payload. I have mastered it, but will be using a different Heavy mech. The bit of extra speed does not enhance it enough. Not like in the Lore.

#147 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:28 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 09 December 2016 - 05:53 PM, said:

I was looking at the comparison images to all the other 65 ton mechs and then I wondered why the Linebacker has the seemingly biggest CT hitbox of all those mechs? It carries the least amount of weapons (18 tons max), and you can't change this in mechlab. No ECM, no MASC, at least not yet. It has the center torso shape closest to mechs like the Catapult and Stalker and Timber Wolf, but in the case of the Linebacker it seems to be all CT similar to a Dire Wolf, which carries a lot more than 18 tons of weapons. I think you should correct this to make the mech competitive with it's 18 ton payload. I have mastered it, but will be using a different Heavy mech. The bit of extra speed does not enhance it enough. Not like in the Lore.

I didn't find the CT that vulnerable though I expected to. Played it like a heavily armoured harasser and often forgot I was a heavy. Not sure if that is good or bad but I enjoyed it.

Edited by Aramuside, 10 December 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#148 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostAramuside, on 10 December 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

I didn't find the CT that vulnerable though I expected to. Played it like a heavily armoured harasser and often forgot I was a heavy. Not sure if that is good or bad but I enjoyed it.

When I first started to play the mech, it felt like it had a huge CT. However, after a hot fix (and they said nothing about the Linebacker in it) I found that it suddenly started to spread damage well. Don't know why.

At this time, I find that the Linebacker actually shifts damage reasonably well. I like it because I'm normally a Medium mech pilot, so I can treat this heavy exactly like what I'm use to playing, a Medium mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users