15 replies to this topic

#1 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

I'd like to start a discussion about mouse sensitivity to gain a deeper understanding.

I saw someone's (BlackhawkSC?) video a while ago about setting sensitivity where you go to mech trial and try to hit center torso on a stationary mech as you're walking perpendicular to its facing.

Useful.
And I get it, turn it down to help stabilize the reticle more when zoomed in.

BUT:
What effect does it have when zoomed out?
I recently bought the advanced zoom for a dual PPC sniper, and the mouse tends to still jump a bit. Will it affect my other mechs if I turn sensitivity down further?
In other words, If I'm turning sensitivity way down, does that mean when I'm in a more brawly mech I'm underperforming?

Thanks.

#2 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:27 AM

Well, mouse sensitivity is annoying thing because it need to be recalibrated on different chassis when they have different turn speed.
Also when it is zoomed out then sensitivity does not corrected.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 09 November 2016 - 11:27 AM.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:06 PM

Hypothetically if you are zoomed out then you are in close quarters mode where precision is less important.

Having a mouse which can adjust sensitivity on the fly (dpi) can be a little beneficial in this area, but I think most experienced players go for a "set it and forget it" sensitivity setting

#4 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:34 PM

It's good to set it low and have a considerable space to move your mouse for quick turning. I use an A4 size piece of carton as my mousepad :D

#5 Ghengis Cohen

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 58 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:01 PM

Turn in-game mouse settings down all the way and use your mouse software to adjust DPI. Much better control. Your mouse software may even let you save several settings that you can change on the fly while in-game. If you do not have a mouse that is configurable I would recommend you invest in one. It can make a big difference.

I would also recommend sniping without advance zoom. It causes tunnel vision and slows you down. I snipe frequently with erppc and erlarge laser and never use zoom.

#6 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 09 November 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

I recently bought the advanced zoom for a dual PPC sniper, and the mouse tends to still jump a bit. Will it affect my other mechs if I turn sensitivity down further?
In other words, If I'm turning sensitivity way down, does that mean when I'm in a more brawly mech I'm underperforming?

Unfortunately it's a trade off, as you said if you turn mouse sensitivity down further than you will find it difficult to manouvre mech when you're zoomed out. I found my "sweet spot" at 0.3 (but it also depends on the DPI of the mouse).

Edited by invernomuto, 09 November 2016 - 01:12 PM.

#7 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 09 November 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

It's good to set it low and have a considerable space to move your mouse for quick turning. I use an A4 size piece of carton as my mousepad

Yeah, I don't have a lot of space for my mouse, so that's not a great option; but if I get your meaning, it's true that it does affect zoomed out aiming?

View PostGhengis Cohen, on 09 November 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

I would also recommend sniping without advance zoom. It causes tunnel vision and slows you down. I snipe frequently with erppc and erlarge laser and never use zoom.

This is what I've come to as a temporary solution, after some few games, especially since it seems the IS ERPPC is not really a precision weapon.
If I were using gauss rifles, it might make more sense.

#8 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:54 PM

I am not a fan of adv zoom.

I think its harder to hit targets while in adv zoom due to cry engine limitations with multiple screens.

I like regular max zoom when it comes to sniping.

That being said, my ingame sensitivity is set between 0.16~0.18 (depending on the mech).

And i adjust my actual mouse sensitivity high. Seems to be smoother "for me".

#9 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 09 November 2016 - 01:54 PM, said:

That being said, my ingame sensitivity is set between 0.16~0.18 (depending on the mech).

And i adjust my actual mouse sensitivity high. Seems to be smoother "for me".

Seems the popular option. my actual mouse sensitivity is pretty high. I'll give this a shot... soon. maybe tonight.

Not sure what you mean by cryengine limitations...?

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:17 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 09 November 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Cryengine is the program/engine that serves as the foundation for MWO.

#11 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:36 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 09 November 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

Cryengine is the program/engine that serves as the foundation for MWO.

Obviously - it tells us that every time the game loads.

But - I haven't really noticed any issues and I run dual screens. Maybe I'm just blissfully ignorant.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,712 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

And besides mouse sensitivity, I would also suggest suggest setting Arm Lock, then set keyboard command Toggle Arm Lock. This turns Off/On Arm lock. There are times when you want your arms to move independently to provide those weapons a wider range of movement but leaving Arm Lock in an off position all the time also means you can not actively target your torso mounted weapons accurately. When Arm lock is off, it makes you have to draw your arm cross hairs about until your torso cross hair is on target. There is Arm Lock on the Keyboard settings but that is only a temporary setting while that key is being pressed.

I believe the default temp on/off listed as Arm Lock in the keyboard settings is Left Shift key. I deleted that command and made Left Shift key for the Toggle Arm Lock.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 09 November 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#13 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:08 PM

View PostScottAleric, on 09 November 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

Seems the popular option. my actual mouse sensitivity is pretty high. I'll give this a shot... soon. maybe tonight.

Cryengine has a hard time processing two screens (not to monitors, but things like a screen in a screen).

Since adv zoom makes a screen inside your screen- its frame rate goes to all hell

#14 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 09 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

there also seems to be some adv. zoom glitches since the Huntsman patch.

If you have thermal or IR turned on AND you toggle adv. zoom then there is a chance your zoom toggle will no longer work until you toggle thermal or IR off.

#15 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

I bought one of those HUGE mousepads I'm going to try. I will have to move my PC etc over for it to fit.

#16 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 09 November 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

And besides mouse sensitivity, I would also suggest suggest setting Arm Lock, then set keyboard command Toggle Arm Lock. This turns Off/On Arm lock. There are times when you want your arms to move independently to provide those weapons a wider range of movement but leaving Arm Lock in an off position all the time also means you can not actively target your torso mounted weapons accurately. When Arm lock is off, it makes you have to draw your arm cross hairs about until your torso cross hair is on target. There is Arm Lock on the Keyboard settings but that is only a temporary setting while that key is being pressed.

I believe the default temp on/off listed as Arm Lock in the keyboard settings is Left Shift key. I deleted that command and made Left Shift key for the Toggle Arm Lock.

Yes, this is good advice. I never really managed to use the temporary arm lock on left shift, I still have the key but I binded the arm lock toggle into a button between left shift and Z(not available on typical US keyboards). I use it on mechs have that mainly or only weapons on torso at the start of game.
By default the arm lock toggle key is unbinded.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users