• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 12 November 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

I really want to tell you it's the Mad Dog, but I can't. With the disgusting missile launcher positions and its laser barrels being puny boxes, ...

The launcher positions are fine, as far as I'm concerned. Individual tastes differ, it happens. I used to agree with you on the laser barrels, but those got changed a few months back, and look pretty sexy these days.

Honestly, I don't think I can choose a "best looking" mech in the game, too many good candidates.

#42 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:09 PM

thee coolest mechs are obviously an Atlas and a Hunchback

Posted Image

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 November 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#43 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

View PostEscef, on 12 November 2016 - 12:08 PM, said:

The launcher positions are fine, as far as I'm concerned. Individual tastes differ, it happens. I used to agree with you on the laser barrels, but those got changed a few months back, and look pretty sexy these days.

Honestly, I don't think I can choose a "best looking" mech in the game, too many good candidates.

Having the pimple SRM launchers instead of the actually sensible positions on the sides is just stupid IMO. And the laser barrels are better, but nowhere near old Mad Dog designs. Same with the Warhawk.

#44 Pronotum

• PipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRotterdam, The Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

I've really like the Crab. Not just how good it is in-game, but also how great it actually looks like.
Come on, this isn't bad now, is it?

Posted Image

#45 1114guy

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:44 PM

The Phoenix Hawk is pretty sweet looking.

#46 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

For me, the most aesthetically pleasing, "bad a$$" looking mech in the game is the Black Knight. It's the perfect blend of old school 1950's giant robot mixed with a suit of plate-mail. I just think it looks great.

A close second is the King Crab for being the sheer lumbering monstrosity that represents to me what a slow moving machine of death ought to look like.

Honorable mention to the Catapult K2.

Edited by Bud Crue, 12 November 2016 - 12:45 PM.

#47 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

Anyone else love the kitfox?
Posted Image
sorry for the poor quality...

#48 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:10 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 12 November 2016 - 02:05 PM, said:

Anyone else love the kitfox?
Posted Image
sorry for the poor quality...

thats a really cool looking kitfox

#49 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:29 PM

I hear you about the Mad Dog and its tiny laser arms (and the warhawk)
It's some thing I'd like to address, but I'm not sure it will happen, at least in the short term.
The missiles are a bit more complicated, because how it should look has to accommodate how we can make it function.

Juodas, you know I wouldn't comment on something like mechcon stuff. You'll have to wait. But even so, I'm finishing up the Assassin right now (and will likely be streaming some weapon stuff later this week on twitch).

I think an artbook would be cool. or a TRO/Artbook cross? either way, I think it's a bit awkward to make one while still be pumping out new mech art at the same time. There'd be stuff missing!

3028 fan TRO?! no, I had not heard of this. I must go learn more!

edit: oh, and I'm a fan of the Crab, and Marauder.....and also the Supernova. I feel awkward saying that though, because I made that last one, am really happy with how it turned out. Also you guys can't see it yet >_<

#50 DiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationBetween Type 1 and Type 2

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:31 PM

My coolest looking mech isn't in the game yet. The Mad Cat MK II

#51 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:32 PM

View Postjss78, on 12 November 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

Are you aware of the TRO 3028 fan project? It's basically what you describe, a TRO using PGI's concept art, but repainted with lore unit camos. The only limitation is that as the name says, it's limited to late succession war era IS 'mechs, in anticipation of HBS's upcoming game.

Link in first post: https://community.ba...ads/1273?page=1

Had a chance to take a better look....WOW. Awesome presentation! Still want more behind the scenes work tho. ;) Like most studios, I figure there is a good amount of stuff that never sees the light of day outside of PGI (concept art, model iterations, component breakdowns and textures). I just think it's a great way to honor all of the artist's hard work by showing those unseen pieces off to the public so it can be appreciated.

Sorry...back to topic now. :)

#52 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 12 November 2016 - 02:29 PM, said:

Juodas, you know I wouldn't comment on something like mechcon stuff. You'll have to wait.

Since that's not a definitive "NO", i'll take it as an absolute guarantee that Quadrupeds are coming.

#53 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

Cent AH for me

#54 kuma8877

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 691 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

I think an artbook would be cool. or a TRO/Artbook cross? either way, I think it's a bit awkward to make one while still be pumping out new mech art at the same time. There'd be stuff missing!

Perhaps and Anniversary edition, something to give a cut-off point?

#55 it comes with a cup holder

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

View Postmogs01gt, on 12 November 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Cent AH for me

yeah centurion is one good looking mech, so is the commando

#56 DiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationBetween Type 1 and Type 2

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 12 November 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Since that's not a definitive &quot;NO&quot;, i'll take it as an absolute guarantee that Quadrupeds are coming.

Watch out man that's how you set yourself up for disappointment. It wears on you trust me I know. I'm so bitter now warheads contacted me asking for my secret formula.

#57 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:53 PM

I hear you about the Mad Dog and its tiny laser arms (and the warhawk)
It's some thing I'd like to address, but I'm not sure it will happen, at least in the short term.
The missiles are a bit more complicated, because how it should look has to accommodate how we can make it function.

Juodas, you know I wouldn't comment on something like mechcon stuff. You'll have to wait. But even so, I'm finishing up the Assassin right now (and will likely be streaming some weapon stuff later this week on twitch).

3028 fan TRO?! no, I had not heard of this. I must go learn more!

edit: oh, and I'm a fan of the Crab, and Marauder.....and also the Supernova. I feel awkward saying that though, because I made that last one, am really happy with how it turned out. Also you guys can't see it yet >_<

just do me a favour and don't make the supernova have those short tiny stumps, it eneds properly long arms Posted Image

#58 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 12 November 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Cent AH for me

View Postit comes with a cup holder, on 12 November 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

yeah centurion is one good looking mech, so is the commando

I have had some pretty good games using the Centurion.

I love my CN9-AH(L) Centurion "Verdandi"

Posted Image

Edited by martian, 12 November 2016 - 03:19 PM.

#59 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:22 PM

View PostDiabetesOverlord Wilford Brimley, on 12 November 2016 - 02:49 PM, said:

Watch out man that's how you set yourself up for disappointment. It wears on you trust me I know. I'm so bitter now warheads contacted me asking for my secret formula.

I like my warheads sour, not bitter! ew!

Lily, The supernova arms closely match the concept art on the store page, and I would definitely not describe them as 'stubby' in any way.

#60 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:00 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 12 November 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

I like my warheads sour, not bitter! ew!

Lily, The supernova arms closely match the concept art on the store page, and I would definitely not describe them as 'stubby' in any way.

I dunno, you always make these concept arts in such a angle it is hard to describe how stubby they really turn out. There were serveral ddiscussions about soem chassis in the past about how they did end up different than the artworks, especially when it came to weapons and arms.

Posted Image

the suopernova is sexy becaue it has that sleek arms by the relations of length and diameter, the cocnept art make them look a lot more "fat" atm.

and you can see already that the lower 3 energy wepaons in the concept art are not actually correctly as they clearly are not a square, instead are a rectangle, that makes the concept are untrusty to begin with by.
Especially when looking and seeing which part of th concept art is the dynamic weapon itelf it will amke many loadout choices look horrible. Unless you plan to make a covering around these wepaons so the weapons are IN the arm with just the tip peaking out.

I made a cheap paint

Posted Image

adding a coverage much further forward that covers whatever weapon is placed there will the arm always make look awesome even if noweapon is equipped. But when those wepaon parts will be missing thats going to look very bad.

The mech is thereore running into the potential of being gimped by the dynamic geometry as the amazign centurion and his gret looking arm once was.

adding a prmanent coverage to some meches arms would have saved some to become ugly with the dynamic geometry (especially Ac 2 and 5 ones).

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 November 2016 - 04:08 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users