Lrm Buff

104 replies to this topic

#1 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:25 AM

Everyone is so worried about the Kodiak Nerf, but me? I'm worried about as to why in the ever loving hell are they buffing LRM's?

They already eat me and everything they focus alive half the time, and having just one AMS does literally nothing against them, but no, I guess them destroying CT Armor in roughly 30 seconds wasn't good enough? But now they get a faster cooldown? Seriously?

LRM Boats are one of, if not the most powerful Mech's to build, and all you have to do, is sit back, and fire, literally it, the only other aspect is to have teammates spot them, but it's literally just point and click, and being forced to hide behind buildings the ENTIRE game isn't fun.

There was another game I played JUST like that, World of Tanks, and it's a total camp fest now, Heavies can't do their jobs because Artillery smacks them to the ground, and the same goes for Medium's, Artillery destroyed that game because they made it incredibly powerful, and honestly, I don't want to see the same exact thing happen here, I actually enjoy this game, and for it to be ruined by LRM Boats, would force me away, just like World of Tanks' Artillery pushed me away.

Please reconsider the buff, even consider giving them a bit of a nerf, because as it stands, hardly anything can stand up to them, except those with multiple AMS and ECM Light's.

#2 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

uhm.... ok this may sound a bit harsh but... you are wrong.

LRMs are by far the most underperforming weapon system and has so many counters that they become useless in higher tiers and some maps. Something no other weapon system has.

Not saying git gud but avoiding lrms is a skill you have to learn like shooting or positioning.

Edited by 627, 14 November 2016 - 12:28 AM.

#3 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:31 AM

View Post627, on 14 November 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

uhm.... ok this may sound a bit harsh but... you are wrong.

LRMs are by far the most underperforming weapon system and has so many counters that they become useless in higher tiers and some maps. Something no other weapon system has.

Not saying git gud but avoiding lrms is a skill you have to learn like shooting or positioning.

It's not avoiding them that's the problem, I can hide behind a building all day long if I have to, it's being forced to do so because someone with a Catapult and 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 10's, and 2 LRM 5's decided that I was going to be his lunch for that day.

It ruins the experience of the game having to camp constantly just to avoid something shredding me, and utterly decimating me in just a few hits, and hell, even when I hide behind buildings, and the enemy has no LoS, they STILL somehow manage to keep me locked.

Like I said, it just ruins the game :/

#4 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:31 AM

Um, are you joking? LRMs are consistently the weakest weapons system in game, considering that it has the most counters in game including one of the few hard counters in game, that being Radar derp + cover of any kind. They reduced cool downs by a small margin and made LRM 20 not totally useless. Hooray. Now, all we need to do is fix JJs (Thus allowing jumping Assault mechs to be relevant again) and reverse the Rescale on Light mechs (Two and a half years has this weight class suffered under the nerfinator's abuse, all because the Assault potatoes refuse to get gud).

Edited by Requiemking, 14 November 2016 - 12:32 AM.

#5 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:35 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 14 November 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

Um, are you joking? LRMs are consistently the weakest weapons system in game, considering that it has the most counters in game including one of the few hard counters in game, that being Radar derp + cover of any kind. They reduced cool downs by a small margin and made LRM 20 not totally useless. Hooray. Now, all we need to do is fix JJs (Thus allowing jumping Assault mechs to be relevant again) and reverse the Rescale on Light mechs (Two and a half years has this weight class suffered under the nerfinator's abuse, all because the Assault potatoes refuse to get gud).

They are FAR from the weakest, explain to me how, when I get caught nowhere near cover, they manage to chop through my Frontal CT armor like it's nothing, yeah, sure, "Weakest Class", my Marauder with 82 Frontal Armor, gets gnawed on like it's nothing, because LRM's, are just so bustedly OP.

#6 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:39 AM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:35 AM, said:

They are FAR from the weakest, explain to me how, when I get caught nowhere near cover, they manage to chop through my Frontal CT armor like it's nothing, yeah, sure, "Weakest Class", my Marauder with 82 Frontal Armor, gets gnawed on like it's nothing, because LRM's, are just so bustedly OP.

lol, part of situational awareness is moving from cover to cover, figuring the best route from point A to point B using cover as you go.

LRM's are so far away from OP it is a joke, take a mech with ECM then see how they complain, or get in a light mech and go hunt a lurm boat, mmmmm tasty lunch for a flanking light lurm boats are.

#7 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

LRM Boats are one of, if not the most powerful Mech's to build..

Erm.....

#8 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:35 AM, said:

That's your mistake for not being near cover, which is a pretty noobish mistake. The only reason your dying fast to them is because you make a noob mistake and because you are running a Marauder, which is flat and wide.

#9 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:31 AM, said:

It's not avoiding them that's the problem, I can hide behind a building all day long if I have to, it's being forced to do so because someone with a Catapult and 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 10's, and 2 LRM 5's decided that I was going to be his lunch for that day.

It ruins the experience of the game having to camp constantly just to avoid something shredding me, and utterly decimating me in just a few hits, and hell, even when I hide behind buildings, and the enemy has no LoS, they STILL somehow manage to keep me locked.

Like I said, it just ruins the game :/

Ok, I'll bite. That catapult needs something between 1 and 3 seconds to lock you and then it fires its load. Depending on the range between your mechs the lrms need around 5-8 seconds to hit you.
So you have roughly 8-10 seconds. You step out, aim, shoot and step back into cover. That takes 5 seconds. No way that catapult can hit you.

And if you get hit in 5 seconds it means the catapult is *near* - so just charge it, you need to get into 180 meters. Roll your torso to spread damage and once you're below its min range it is a sitting duck.

Of course this works only in a 1on1 situation. In a normal pug play I'd say stop peeking on the same corner and reposition yourself. Get closer, move with the team and shoot the cat that throws glowsticks on you.

And of course, in the end there's always the possibility that the other guy is just better than you. But then it doesn't matter what weapon he uses. And trust me, that happens to all of us. There's always someone who is better.

#10 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:42 AM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 November 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

lol, part of situational awareness is moving from cover to cover, figuring the best route from point A to point B using cover as you go.

LRM's are so far away from OP it is a joke, take a mech with ECM then see how they complain, or get in a light mech and go hunt a lurm boat, mmmmm tasty lunch for a flanking light lurm boats are.

I will upload a video proving that they are broken, myself and my friend are going to build a Catapult with 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 10's, and 2 LRM 5's, granted we might have to scratch some armor off, but I will prove that they are blatantly overpowered, and honestly, anyone who doesn't think so, are clearly not right or are a LRM'er themselves.

I have been decimated so many times by LRM's that it's not funny, including a time I was running away and it took TWO groups of missiles to tear out my rear armor AND kill me, all in one missile barrage.

#11 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:44 AM

Troll post is troll, I dont normally say this but I think this time it is required, git gud.

#12 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:45 AM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 November 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Troll post is troll, I dont normally say this but I think this time it is required, git gud.

Funny, the same stuff people on World of Tanks said, and look now, they're having to rebuild their own game because they screwed up so massively on artillery.

Artillery was OP, and it ruined World of Tanks for me, and MWO is turning into the same thing.

#13 MortZA

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:46 AM

I think I might have been killed by LRMs in the last month.

Maybe.

#14 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:48 AM

Post patch I expect this build to have, in a direct line of sight + tag situation within 300-600 meters, to have between 22 and 27.5 dps, assuming 12% cooldown module, the 10% lrm 20 and 10% missile cooldown quirks, and the skill for 5% cooldown.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4cea0a7d7ec8b5

If you sacrifice two tons of ammo, and get an XL250, you can use double heatsinks to have better heat managment, fired in groups of two.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...be9274d2021f1bf

With the stalker's hill peeking profile and a high mounted tag laser, I could see this being pretty devastating in the right hands in a group op.

Example use: Two of them behind a charge, using a hill for cover as they back up brawlers and mid-range pokers with hilariously accurate suppressive hail, providing the tiny hill humping stalker profile and using that high mounted tag laser.

As to AMS, they stealth nerfed it and/or accidentally broke it sometime around the cyclops patch. It can actually proper miss now and suffers from server desync and mis-registering the height of lrms, and sometimes just quits altogether.

Source: I got to tier 3 using a kitfox, almost 700 matches with a 1.3 k/d and w/l ratio, and kitfox was my first serious mech. Started before viper patch.

Edited by Tibbnak, 14 November 2016 - 12:49 AM.

#15 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

There was a thing ages ago called Lurmageddon, this was when lurms hit CT only, didnt last too loing, they got spread and spread all over the mech.

#16 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

View Post627, on 14 November 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

Ok, I'll bite. That catapult needs something between 1 and 3 seconds to lock you and then it fires its load. Depending on the range between your mechs the lrms need around 5-8 seconds to hit you.
So you have roughly 8-10 seconds. You step out, aim, shoot and step back into cover. That takes 5 seconds. No way that catapult can hit you.

And if you get hit in 5 seconds it means the catapult is *near* - so just charge it, you need to get into 180 meters. Roll your torso to spread damage and once you're below its min range it is a sitting duck.

Of course this works only in a 1on1 situation. In a normal pug play I'd say stop peeking on the same corner and reposition yourself. Get closer, move with the team and shoot the cat that throws glowsticks on you.

And of course, in the end there's always the possibility that the other guy is just better than you. But then it doesn't matter what weapon he uses. And trust me, that happens to all of us. There's always someone who is better.

The setup I run on my Marauder-5D, are 5 ER Large Lasers, and while I can Alpha Strike, I try not to in case of those emergency situations.

So when I poke out, I fire each laser individually, which gives the missiles enough time to hit, but then I stay in cover, I refuse to deal with that <redacted>, every chance I get, I target LRM Boats, just to watch them burn.

#17 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

I will upload a video proving that they are broken, myself and my friend are going to build a Catapult with 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 10's, and 2 LRM 5's, granted we might have to scratch some armor off, but I will prove that they are blatantly overpowered, and honestly, anyone who doesn't think so, are clearly not right or are a LRM'er themselves.

I have been decimated so many times by LRM's that it's not funny, including a time I was running away and it took TWO groups of missiles to tear out my rear armor AND kill me, all in one missile barrage.

Save your time.
CPLT-A1

This is a bad build as I said. You're very low on ammo, it will be hot and doesn't even have jump jets to move around. And I won't even start on artemis. Sure, you can lower the engine to make some room for more stuff but trust me you don't want to be slower than that in an lrm only catapult.

#18 Demarticus

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:51 AM

View PostTibbnak, on 14 November 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

Post patch I expect this build to have, in a direct line of sight + tag situation within 300-600 meters, to have between 22 and 27.5 dps, assuming 12% cooldown module, the 10% lrm 20 and 10% missile cooldown quirks, and the skill for 5% cooldown.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c4cea0a7d7ec8b5

If you sacrifice two tons of ammo, and get an XL250, you can use double heatsinks to have better heat managment, fired in groups of two.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...be9274d2021f1bf

With the stalker's hill peeking profile and a high mounted tag laser, I could see this being pretty devastating in the right hands in a group op.

Example use: Two of them behind a charge, using a hill for cover as they back up brawlers and mid-range pokers with hilariously accurate suppressive hail, providing the tiny hill humping stalker profile and using that high mounted tag laser.

As to AMS, they stealth nerfed it and/or accidentally broke it sometime around the cyclops patch. It can actually proper miss now and suffers from server desync and mis-registering the height of lrms, and sometimes just quits altogether.

Source: I got to tier 3 using a kitfox, almost 700 matches with a 1.3 k/d and w/l ratio, and kitfox was my first serious mech. Started before viper patch.

Well then AMS clearly needs a patch, I'm not saying this game is a Simulator, but the AMS is just a version of the Phalanx CIWS, and that thing NEVER misses a beat.

Had a friend work on them in Afghanistan, and he said they were used to shoot down Artillery Shells, RPG's, and generally any projectile the Radar would pick up, not sure how true that is, but I have seen video's of them firing, and they just absolutely light the sky up with a laser of Red Tracer rounds.

#19 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:52 AM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:48 AM, said:

So when I poke out, I fire each laser individually.

Well, we have found your problem.

#20 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 14 November 2016 - 12:53 AM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:42 AM, said:

I will upload a video proving that they are broken, myself and my friend are going to build a Catapult with 2 LRM 15's, 2 LRM 10's, and 2 LRM 5's, granted we might have to scratch some armor off, but I will prove that they are blatantly overpowered

How does that prove anything, I can build a Direwolf with 10 ERPPCs if I take of some armour. Instead you should take your Catapult and pit it 1v1 against another mech, say an Arctic Cheetah, a Stormcrow, a Madcat or a Kodiak. Then fight to the death, and see how many wins the lurmboat gets. If it gets even one win in 20, I'll admit the other pilot is terribad.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users