Lrm Buff

104 replies to this topic

#101 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:54 PM

Posted Image

In short, there are players who have figured out how to use LRMs effectively and they make them seem godlike. On the other hand, a majority of lurmboats don't know what they're doing and make them seem like a joke. They are so different from LOS weapons that you actually need to THINK differently about an ongoing battle. With that said, They will most likely never be properly balanced. I like LRMs a lot, but I'm actually agains buffing them, as it will benefit those who know what they're doing A LOT more than those who don't

Edited by Frechdachs, 23 November 2016 - 07:54 PM.

#102 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:06 PM

LRMs hit Assaults more due to the size of the mech. Use AMS and AMS modules for some protection. Radar Dep of course.

#103 Goober Gabber v2

• PipPipPip
  • The Kicker
  • The Kicker
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

So, where is this video the OP promised us?

If LRMs are so overpowered even with the amount of counters, then what about the other weapons?
All I could understand from the OP's post is "LRMs killed me. Therefore they are too powerful " .

I tend to drop with a Lurm boat myself (Spirit Bear: 3xLRM15+A, 1xLRM+A, 2xERLL for back-up. Around 10 ton of Lurms) and trust me, LRMs may seem powerful and I had loads of matches where I raked up nearly 1000 damage, and sometimes even beyond, but if you look at effective damage, it's far different than that. At least, when carrying the 15s and 20s, maybe the 10s as well.

Before I go deeper into this: I am not a pro and what I'm about to write, and what you're about to read if you give me a chance, is purely from my own experience, point of view, beliefs and my own theories.
For all I know, I could be wrong on some parts.

As I mentioned, effective damage.
Let's go and say I did 1000 damage. Pretty neat, right? "Goober, you must've raked in the kills!" Sure! Let's have a loo- yeah, no. Just 2 kills. Why? Because when I deal 1000 total damage in a match, only an estimated 25% of that damage was actually effective (probably using the wrong word here, because all damage is effective in a way) and the other 75% was mostly done on the side torsos,... Torsi? Side toasters, the arms, maybe rarely on the cockpit for some magical reasons and, believe it or not, the legs (Yes. I have managed to destroy legs, and it's kinda funny to achieve that). That's damage nonetheless, but not as effective as damage directly done to the center toas-- torso, although that's my opinion to it.

Of course. If you're getting killed and then eaten alive (harr harr) by Lurmsies because you were standing in the open, did not make use of cover, AMS, ECM or even the optional modules, then you deserve that punishment.
An infinite, plus one, times over.

LRMs are pretty rewarding when they land on the enemy, because in most pugs my, and I'm pretty sure other people's, team mates tend to peek at the enemy, then scoot back before you finish blinking, resulting in me losing my lock and when I have already thrown my missiles, they will most likely plummet into the ground and thus wasting ammo and damage. Unless the target was sitting there, either being a dummy or very badass by volunteering for face-tanking those rockets, which is also a bit of a dummy-thing though. But still.

Of course, I have experienced being the pot of gold at the end of the Lurm Rainbow many times and threw a little tantrum here and there, but in the end it was just my fault for being such an easy target.

In my opinion, as someone who has used LRMs for quite a chunk of my total game time (although I have still a lot of hours ahead of me), they're alright as they are now. They can be powerful, they can be used to simply put fear into people and force them to take cover, plus they make your screen shake like no tomorrow causing you to get disoriented for a short time and your aim will be off target.
They need neither a buff or a nerf.

TL;DR:
Stop talking **** and get your game on.

Edited by Goober Gabber v2, 24 November 2016 - 02:53 AM.

#104 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:10 AM

LRM OP!
LRM weakest weapon ingame!!!

...there are so many supporters on both teams the only logic explanation is that...

LRM are FINE!!!

Good luck nerfing a weapon that has so many counters.
Good luck buffing the only weapon that can deal damage while on cover.

Or maybe leave as it is, and enjoy a game where mortar-like weapons are not even close to be the core of the gameplay.

#105 Darkhorse13Golf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNew Pensacola, Les Halles

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:15 AM

OK, while I have learned how to brawl, snipe and even can run a light 'Mech reasonably well, I started out many moons ago with a Founders Catapult and a can do attitude. Here's my take on LRMs.....between skilled pilots knowing the maps and having good situational awareness AND dealing with what can be entire networks of AMS, LRMs don't have it nearly as easy as you say. I find this to be a good thing as this has made unrepentant lurmers like myself develop skills like battlefield awareness, movement and even close combat. The days of "point and click" as you put it are pretty much gone. If you get caught in the open I really don't have much sympathy since you should be aware that indirect fire can ruin your day and should move about accordingly and another thing LRMs are supposed to do is deny areas of the battlefield. That's not cheap play, that's war so you simply need to adapt to that. That's why good lurmers get in around 500 meters or even closer and are not static but constantly moving around getting their own locks and finding angles to get to you with missiles and even try to find ways to hit you with their back up weapons to up the damage even more. The most significant buffs were to the 20 rack and now it's not useless....big deal. In return for the ability to hit you indirectly I have to worry about light 'Mechs singling me out, the front line I'm right next to breaking and letting big assed brawlers through who are pissed at me for what I did to them earlier, having to be aware of the fight enough to stop lurming if I have to and back up the front line 'Mechs directly with my lasers if my missiles are blocked and making sure I prioritize my targets correctly so I am at my most effective and not blasting the easy target Dire Wolf when it's a Warhammer and ShadowHawk causing all the trouble. Trust me dude, for every time I get the golden ticket of an Assault trudging through the open, I get a bunch of collapsed lines and broken locks...my own as much as my teammates'. Anyway that's my say.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users