#81 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostBuckshotSchell, on 14 November 2016 - 03:32 PM, said:

LRM's should scare the crap out of you when you see them coming in. They are supposed to be a force multiplier something to make the enemy break and run for cover while softening them up for your hitters to walk in and demolish them. Right now they are mostly just annoying. If you have a fast mech you can out run them, and if you have radar dep just step behind something for a second. LRM needs all the help they can get.

Tbh, really good LRMers do pretty much exactly what you write LRMs should do with their 'Mechs . Its just not rly easy methinks . But I have seen some pretty damn good LRMers lately, and I can tell you its rly fun to play with them in QP Solo ,

It's just, too many think LRMs are "Im-going-to-chill-back-here-get-me-locks-ill-LRM-the-hill" weapons, have no clue how to move/position/support and share Armor properly .

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying LRMs are brutal or anything . What I am saying is, there are people who are damn good in using them, and those guys are an asset to your Team in QP Solo . AND in those guys' 'Mechs, LRMs CAN be brutal to the enemy Team .

Even though there may be much more "efficient" weapons, countless counters to LRMs and anything whatsoever else that can be said about them ( the LRMs, not the Pilots XD ) .

Edited by Besh, 14 November 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#82 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostDemarticus, on 14 November 2016 - 12:25 AM, said:

Everyone is so worried about the Kodiak Nerf, but me? I'm worried about as to why in the ever loving hell are they buffing LRM's?

They already eat me and everything they focus alive half the time, and having just one AMS does literally nothing against them, but no, I guess them destroying CT Armor in roughly 30 seconds wasn't good enough? But now they get a faster cooldown? Seriously?

LRM Boats are one of, if not the most powerful Mech's to build, and all you have to do, is sit back, and fire, literally it, the only other aspect is to have teammates spot them, but it's literally just point and click, and being forced to hide behind buildings the ENTIRE game isn't fun.

There was another game I played JUST like that, World of Tanks, and it's a total camp fest now, Heavies can't do their jobs because Artillery smacks them to the ground, and the same goes for Medium's, Artillery destroyed that game because they made it incredibly powerful, and honestly, I don't want to see the same exact thing happen here, I actually enjoy this game, and for it to be ruined by LRM Boats, would force me away, just like World of Tanks' Artillery pushed me away.

Please reconsider the buff, even consider giving them a bit of a nerf, because as it stands, hardly anything can stand up to them, except those with multiple AMS and ECM Light's.

Because only bad players are scared by Lurms...

#83 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

I love to troll with LRMs.

I get heckled for using a No Skill weapon often enough, even though LRMs are worthless against trained opponents. Apparently they are No Skill weapons that require Much Skill to actually use well.

It's easy to tell a potatoes from a skilled player. Potatoes think LRMs are weapons s that you just click and play, because that's how they play: sit in the open and trade blows like boxers. They die to LRMs often because they think you should be able to walk in the open freely, like chess pieces during "their move." Hey also say it's easy mode because they are used to firing on targets that play as poorly as they do.

You can generally tell all you need to know about a player's skill by asking them if LRMs are OP or if they need work.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 14 November 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#84 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostCathy, on 14 November 2016 - 04:14 PM, said:

Because only bad players are scared by Lurms...

People do not neccessarily have to be "bad" to want to play "turretwarrior online", "standingaround online", or "suicidal brawler online" . Just...umm....unexperienced ?

The amount of times I have told people "lets rush the LRMBoat(s)", just for them to stand around in the open trying to take snipeshots uncovered, subsequently getting shredded by LRMs AND anything else that had LoS on them...to THEN complain about "OP LURMZZ!!!"...sometimes seems to slowly drive me mad XD .

Edited by Besh, 14 November 2016 - 04:20 PM.

#85 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:22 PM

View Post627, on 14 November 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

uhm.... ok this may sound a bit harsh but... you are wrong.

LRMs are by far the most underperforming weapon system and has so many counters that they become useless in higher tiers and some maps. Something no other weapon system has.

Not saying git gud but avoiding lrms is a skill you have to learn like shooting or positioning.

Ummm yeah, this. LRM's are USELESS in higher tiers.

Edited by SilentWolff, 14 November 2016 - 04:22 PM.

#86 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:30 PM

there is a dichotomy PGI has to deal with here.

LRMs are an absolute terror for new players in low tiers.

YET

LRMs are practically useless at high tiers.

Do you nerf them even more to protect the seals?

Do you buff them to make them useful for tier try hard?

#87 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

Thanks to LRM buff.

i think my LRM bot already op. and now PGI make they be a monster. Thanks!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...02533660c8e589a

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6e0feabdeabcd5c

Anyway Thanks!

#88 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 14 November 2016 - 04:30 PM, said:

there is a dichotomy PGI has to deal with here.

LRMs are an absolute terror for new players in low tiers.

YET

LRMs are practically useless at high tiers.

Do you nerf them even more to protect the seals?

Do you buff them to make them useful for tier try hard?

I'd go with buff. As a player I aspire to be better at all I do in my games and while running with a few friends in the public group que we've had "relative" success employing LRM's its never been a boat situation and its almost always accompanied by a mech running C-ECM and NARC just to get them past "they have to be functional" terratory for it to matter. Even then I'm sometimes kneecapped for my troubles of NRACing / Jamming enemy ECM's which eventually leads to my death.

I haven't been around long enough in the game to qualify an opinion stemming from the days of the fabled "Lurmageddon" but Iv'e heard not so hilarious stories of the nightmare fuel variety.

With all that, new players need to learn to deal with everything. The big issue from what I've seen as a Tier 5-4 player scraping his way to tier 3 is that there's just a lot of disorganization down here and not a lot of overly patient or skilled play. (i mean that's what the low tier's for right?) That means the guys who are here need to find players who are better to learn from or to drop with to become better if they're even willing to do so. Some are some aren't.

#89 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostMaker L106, on 14 November 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

I'd go with buff. As a player I aspire to be better at all I do in my games and while running with a few friends in the public group que we've had "relative" success employing LRM's its never been a boat situation and its almost always accompanied by a mech running C-ECM and NARC just to get them past "they have to be functional" terratory for it to matter. Even then I'm sometimes kneecapped for my troubles of NRACing / Jamming enemy ECM's which eventually leads to my death.

I haven't been around long enough in the game to qualify an opinion stemming from the days of the fabled "Lurmageddon" but Iv'e heard not so hilarious stories of the nightmare fuel variety.

With all that, new players need to learn to deal with everything. The big issue from what I've seen as a Tier 5-4 player scraping his way to tier 3 is that there's just a lot of disorganization down here and not a lot of overly patient or skilled play. (i mean that's what the low tier's for right?) That means the guys who are here need to find players who are better to learn from or to drop with to become better if they're even willing to do so. Some are some aren't.

See...this is the kind of new(er) player attitude that will get you help in General Discussion when you ask for it.

Coming in as a newer player with a know it all attitude is another quick way to get feedback, but probably not the most effective one.

#90 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:36 PM

This is literally the thread our balance overlord is looking for!

Somewhere in his lair, the Balance Overlord said:

#91 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

This has degenerated into uselessness (and I only got as far as the second page).

OP has contradicted himself multiply, and in any event, has identified his own errors. It's up to him to correct them. But seeing as he would rather go on rage-whining and papercrafting than, as one forumer offered, "put his money where his mouth is", I think we can all have a good laugh and then ignore this thread.

After all, apparently buildings are his only hard counter to lrms =P.

#92 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

To put it simply the LRM5 was better than the other LRM launchers so they buffed them. This is something that people in the community have said for months. So don't throw PGI under the bus for this.

#93 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:07 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 November 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

lol, part of situational awareness is moving from cover to cover, figuring the best route from point A to point B using cover as you go.

LRM's are so far away from OP it is a joke, take a mech with ECM then see how they complain, or get in a light mech and go hunt a lurm boat, mmmmm tasty lunch for a flanking light lurm boats are.

id have to agree with this, you should never move out in the open unless in a death ball,
you think your not having fun when those LRMs are eating you alive when your out in the open,
just think on how you would be getting hit by any 2Gauss&2PPC Combo out in the open,
or how you would be getting caught out and hit by 2UAC10&2UAC5s,

being caught out in the open it bad, the catch is though,
LRMs are only good if you are Caught out in the open(or catch some one out in the open),
Gauss/PPC & UAC5/10s dont care if your caught out in the open they hurt in all instances, and cant be blocked by rock

#94 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:38 PM

LRMs need no change. They are occasionally good playing solo. They can wreck with support, but they stink when beeing pushed. This is the only weapon affording teamplay. They are fine.

#95 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 11:43 PM

Do you have a fast, close range light?

Do you see any in your drops?

Bring one yourself, or ask one of them if they'd be so kind as to prioritize hassling enemy LRMs when they find them.

You can come back after that match. Give it a day or so. You'll find someone claiming " LIGHTS OP I CAN'T HIT THEM ARR MY MECH IS 80 TONS IT SHOULDNT EVER LOSE".

Checks and balances, friend.

#96 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:06 AM

All I can say is learn the maps. Fire up training grounds, and run around learning where you can go and what you can use to minimise exposure.

Every map has sufficient cover to break LoS. Even Polar.
Hell, I've had a match where our Assault Lance managed to sneak up and Ambush the enemy LRM firing Line from less than 300m away, while they were still trying to Lurm our diversionary (read: sacrificial) Medium Lance. By the time the LRM Boats realised we were there, they'd lost 2 of the 3 boats. Those trenches on Polar are deceptively deep. You can and will break LoS in an Atlas, if you know where to go.

So, quit yer bitchin' and do some recon.

Edit: And by cover, I'm not meaning find a rock and hug it like it's your long lost lover.
I'm meaning terrain that minimises the amount of time you are visually exposed while moving from point A to Point B. Hugging Rocks and Buildings is an advanced tactic that you'll need to learn once you move up to the point where everything is Gauss and Quirked Lasers.

Edited by Thunder Child, 15 November 2016 - 03:10 AM.

#97 vibrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 209 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:30 AM

View PostKotzi, on 14 November 2016 - 11:38 PM, said:

LRMs need no change. They are occasionally good playing solo. They can wreck with support, but they stink when beeing pushed. This is the only weapon affording teamplay. They are fine.

As a mechanic, perhaps, but as weapons... not. There is absolutely no reason to take an LRM20... it is in every way I can conceive of, worse than an LRM 15, which is generally worse than an LRM 10. This isn't how weapons should be - there should be an appropriate use for each of them. They actually do need a change.

#98 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:19 AM

No they dont. Thats what AMS is for. But most people dont think in this game. Its rather getting sandpapered and coming to the forums to cry lrms are too op. Instead of mitigating the damage by simply using 1.5 tons. And yes that suffices if everyone carrys one because it is not to negate the damage, what would eventually happen, but just to mitigate damage and giving the opportunity to push those lrms. Because if the enemy has 4+ lrmboats that 4+ mechs beeing **** at close combat.

#99 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:46 AM

View Postvibrant, on 15 November 2016 - 03:30 AM, said:

As a mechanic, perhaps, but as weapons... not. There is absolutely no reason to take an LRM20... it is in every way I can conceive of, worse than an LRM 15, which is generally worse than an LRM 10. This isn't how weapons should be - there should be an appropriate use for each of them. They actually do need a change.

The 20 are getting a little fix for it's spread tonight at least, it's something.

#100 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 15 November 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

The 20 are getting a little fix for it's spread tonight at least, it's something.

It's definitely better than nothing but I'd still rather take 4x5...even with Artemis (4 ALRM5 = 12 tons / 1 ALRM20 = 11 tons).

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users