Three Things This Scouting Tournament Has Taught Me...

Balance Metagame

62 replies to this topic

#61 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:49 AM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 14 November 2016 - 09:35 AM, said:

I would also point out that if any of these supposed strategies worked, then why are the Clans are curb stomping the IS on EVERY PLANET in scout mode?

I'm pretty sure it's because in virtually every drop I see IS spuds bringing lurm Trenchbuckets and 3xLPL Crabs that overheat in 2 alphas while clanners mostly have the good sense to bring SRM Crows and SPL Novas. Pro tip: Meta isn't a dirty word if you actually want to win.

#62 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 15 November 2016 - 06:59 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 14 November 2016 - 03:25 PM, said:

Crab with 2 AMS. AMS on all mechs to create a buffer.

#63 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:48 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 14 November 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

... then you ould see IFR's only.

I think you don't understand the difference between a mech that complements a good player and a mech that can make a craptastic player seem average.

An IFR is a great mech in the hands of a good pilot. A streak crow or SML Nova are mechs that allow a craptastic pilot to do well.

For example:
A small laser nova in the hands of a craptastic pilot alpha's once. On a griffon 2n that alpha would leave only 8 points of structure on one of its legs, completely remove any arm Leave 8 structure points on a torso IF the griffon had zero back armor. Likewise an alpha would leave only 2 pts of armor and 36 structure on the CT IF the griffon had ZERO back armor. 1 Alpha and you have almost insta-killed (at the very least insta-gibbled) one of the best IS scouting mechs. Any moron can get one alpha off and most morons can get 2 off. You see, a horribad player can rack up 140 damage in 2 alphas (probably kill themselves) and wipe out a 55T mech. Even a marginal player can be made much better in this "I WIN BUTTON" mech.

In a streak crow, The damage is less, 60 and is spread all over the mech but, requires EVEN LESS skill than the nova because once you fire (at range) your weapons will hit. The weapon system is so easy that I can confirm that it is possible to effectively use SSRM6s while playing the game with a GTA steering wheel, foot pedals and using the horn as the missile fire button. Given that, my neighbors 4 year old could be an effective S-SCR pilot. IT is not an I-WIN button mech unless you are facing a light mech but it sure makes it easy for any slightly skilled player on your team to kill the mech that the S-SCR attacked. A moronic player could easily get 3 alphas off before they blew themselves up ... BANG 180 damage.

The IS side really has no mech that a 4-year old can use and perform as well as some of the clan builds and therein lies the problem. For every single skilled vs skilled player matches you have in scouting you have 9 Scrub vs. Scrub matches and it is in those scrub vs. scrub matches that the imbalance occurs.

Everyone seems to view CW as some super game mode where the elite players come to battle each other out in glory -- the reality is that there are more scrubs, casual players and newbies than elite players (or at least there were). In THAT environment -- the ACTUAL game environment, the imbalance is real.

So, unless we are going to automate a gatekeeper that would tell players "Sorry you are to scrubby to play FW get gud and come back!" we end up with the crap we have.

Edited by nehebkau, 16 November 2016 - 09:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users