Streaming/recording Etiquette

31 replies to this topic

#21 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 04:19 PM

There isn't any expectation of privacy in multiplayer games.

#22 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:20 PM

You should always assume that your being recorded in any online games and act like an adult. There are some reasons I record all my games and I use about 5% of them for these reasons.

1)If a person is being a ****** and attacking other players or just doing stuff thats not in TOS of PGI playing mechwarrior or just harasses a player of the game because of something they did etc. I would report them and also send in the footage.

2) Having your footage saved protects you as well if someone false reports you can can ask PGI to give the date and time and pull up the footage and prove you did nothing of the sort. CYOA (cover your own ***). I spent quite a bit money on this game and not going to have it taken away because someone lied.

3) Make funny youtube videos

4) Learn from the videos that you recorded. So many times I would watch people play and wonder about the builds or just how they did what they did and learn from it or figure out a new move. Also learn some new tactic or place to go etc

You do bring up a good point about wanting to know about if your recorded or not but I would say that there is a report button for spam and for advertising and if a youtuber or twitch streamer says every game "Twitch/oldbob10025" then someone can report them for spam or advertising and get hits on their account so thats why many people dont say anything..

Just know I record about 90% of my games and only keep about 5% or so for projects for youtube. I do warn my friends that I will be recording on TS or Discord so they know not to say anything private as a heads up.

I hope that helps or answers your questions on the subject...

"I'll see you on the battlefield"

#23 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostOldbob10025, on 16 November 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

You should always assume that your being recorded in any online games and act like an adult. There are some reasons I record all my games and I use about 5% of them for these reasons.

1)If a person is being a ****** and attacking other players or just doing stuff thats not in TOS of PGI playing mechwarrior or just harasses a player of the game because of something they did etc. I would report them and also send in the footage.

2) Having your footage saved protects you as well if someone false reports you can can ask PGI to give the date and time and pull up the footage and prove you did nothing of the sort. CYOA (cover your own ***). I spent quite a bit money on this game and not going to have it taken away because someone lied.

3) Make funny youtube videos

4) Learn from the videos that you recorded. So many times I would watch people play and wonder about the builds or just how they did what they did and learn from it or figure out a new move. Also learn some new tactic or place to go etc

You do bring up a good point about wanting to know about if your recorded or not but I would say that there is a report button for spam and for advertising and if a youtuber or twitch streamer says every game "Twitch/oldbob10025" then someone can report them for spam or advertising and get hits on their account so thats why many people dont say anything..

Just know I record about 90% of my games and only keep about 5% or so for projects for youtube. I do warn my friends that I will be recording on TS or Discord so they know not to say anything private as a heads up.

I hope that helps or answers your questions on the subject...

"I'll see you on the battlefield"

Thanks OldBob! Great advice and explanations from a different perspective. I may just take your advice and start recording games as well. Great post!

#24 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

If you need any help let me know I can show you what I learned...

#25 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 07:16 PM

I really don't understand the twitch thing since no one tells you

but my guess is these people are trying to make money off there videos

at one time you tube had a selection where you said you don't want any advertising and your not trying to
make any money

a person might get into trouble if they are trying to make money and the don't have permission to broadcast from all involved
(just a guess on my part don't really know)

#26 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

Twitch is a streaming service that people go to watch people play games (I did it for three years and its a time sink) but on twitch they have streamers that do giveaways or just have people watch them is all.

Under the TOS except Nintendo (thats why you dont see many if any games on youtube) you can record and either broadcast on youtube or twitch. As far as someone getting in trouble for not having permission from all 24 people is a mute point as everything you do on the internet is public domain and can, unless you have a copyright with artwork or creative licence of a item or something like that. (lawyer mombo jumbo).

Just like in public I can walk up to a person and record them in a parking lot/mall or anywhere I want if I wanted to as its a public place. In public you have no right to privacy except inside of a establishment like say a store or private residence or private area. I just love the folks that say " If I see this on youtube i'm going to sue you" I just crack up every time.

But all in all you dont have to have permission to record games and use them for youtube from everyone unless its under the TOS from a company that you have too. Nintendo comes in mind as under their TOS you have to have permission and its a Legal battle to get it so most of everyone stays away from Nintendo content.

I dont see the point as not letting a youtuber make content as it promotes the game in itself as sometimes when new game comes out I goto my favorite youtuber and check out if he or she has played the game and watch it to see if I want to play the game in question. Depending on how they react like in twitch or youtube determines if I want the game or not. Thats why most if all company's dont care if you make money or stream or do what ever with the content UNLESS its a trailer from EA or call of duty and they will strike your youtube account.

Under fair use policy from youtube you can make any content and still get some money but many people think youtubers make HORDES of money and its not even the case, many only make about a dollar a video if that trust me I know. But where was I, ok under fair use you can use a game/trailer/gameplay etc video and make a video of it and still make revenue from the said video as long as it follows fair use polices..

You just cant use copyright material like songs unless its flagged as royalty free music or non copyright music. Many people get hit with strikes on that subject and it will kill a channel if they use it. Rule of thumb is just stay away from music for profit as its copyright and Youtube is a {Godwin's Law} on that subject and use royalty free music unless your not making money from that song in questions then its ok but you still have to check the creative section of youtube to make sure. The music copyright holder will put ads on a person video if you do use their music for your video.

Now i'm not a lawyer or anything (if I was I would not be playing this game, and on some beach) but this is what is what I learned about recording games and the many mistakes I made in life.

I hope that helps ya

#27 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:24 AM

I used to announce when I was streaming in matches. I stopped that practice a long time ago, mostly because I found that the types that learned as children that bad behavior gets them attention take it as an invitation to be complete jackwagons. I've also had at least one person openly admit that they "stream sniped" me (that is, someone on the enemy team brought up the stream specifically for the sake of getting info on me and my team).

As a general rule of thumb, if you do not want people to see and hear you playing a video game I might recommend finding one to play that is not exclusively online multiplayer.

#28 Besh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 November 2016 - 12:35 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 16 November 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Twitch is a streaming service that people go to watch people play games (I did it for three years and its a time sink) but on twitch they have streamers that do giveaways or just have people watch them is all.

Under the TOS except Nintendo (thats why you dont see many if any games on youtube) you can record and either broadcast on youtube or twitch. As far as someone getting in trouble for not having permission from all 24 people is a mute point as everything you do on the internet is public domain and can, unless you have a copyright with artwork or creative licence of a item or something like that. (lawyer mombo jumbo).

Just like in public I can walk up to a person and record them in a parking lot/mall or anywhere I want if I wanted to as its a public place. In public you have no right to privacy except inside of a establishment like say a store or private residence or private area. I just love the folks that say " If I see this on youtube i'm going to sue you" I just crack up every time.

But all in all you dont have to have permission to record games and use them for youtube from everyone unless its under the TOS from a company that you have too. Nintendo comes in mind as under their TOS you have to have permission and its a Legal battle to get it so most of everyone stays away from Nintendo content.

I dont see the point as not letting a youtuber make content as it promotes the game in itself as sometimes when new game comes out I goto my favorite youtuber and check out if he or she has played the game and watch it to see if I want to play the game in question. Depending on how they react like in twitch or youtube determines if I want the game or not. Thats why most if all company's dont care if you make money or stream or do what ever with the content UNLESS its a trailer from EA or call of duty and they will strike your youtube account.

Under fair use policy from youtube you can make any content and still get some money but many people think youtubers make HORDES of money and its not even the case, many only make about a dollar a video if that trust me I know. But where was I, ok under fair use you can use a game/trailer/gameplay etc video and make a video of it and still make revenue from the said video as long as it follows fair use polices..

You just cant use copyright material like songs unless its flagged as royalty free music or non copyright music. Many people get hit with strikes on that subject and it will kill a channel if they use it. Rule of thumb is just stay away from music for profit as its copyright and Youtube is a {Godwin's Law} on that subject and use royalty free music unless your not making money from that song in questions then its ok but you still have to check the creative section of youtube to make sure. The music copyright holder will put ads on a person video if you do use their music for your video.

Now i'm not a lawyer or anything (if I was I would not be playing this game, and on some beach) but this is what is what I learned about recording games and the many mistakes I made in life.

I hope that helps ya

Just to clarify : I am not in the business to sue people over anything just for fun .

But, the bolded part in the post quoted above is nicely illustrating why I am interested in a discussion of the Topic . You see, in Germany, it is NOT like Oldbob wrote . It is EXACTLY the other way around . Unless you are a person of "public" or "special" intereset, you CAN prevent people from just walking by in a park and taking a Video, or Photograph, without asking you for permission before . Nobody really every does it ofc...but the LAW allows it .

Same law puts up clear restictions of the usage of videos etc. on the internet . You can be damn sure, if someone heere would make an unagreed Video of someone else and posted it on the net unallowed, and the person portrayed did not want it to be published - law would enforce the removal .

SO...its all not as easy as it seems . Again : I am not an Idiot or stupido, I am not interested in sueing people. I DO like to contribute to the clarification of topics like this one, simply cos there are always SO many misconceptions around...

Edited by Besh, 17 November 2016 - 12:36 AM.

#29 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 17 November 2016 - 01:44 AM

Doesn't matter to me.
I suck. Recorded/streamed or not.

#30 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:13 AM

If you see me say "GG EZ" then I am recording you.

#31 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:29 AM

I think its interesting that laws are different and its a good thing in other countrys. So in Germany if I just walk by a photo of something taking a picture or am in the picture then I can sue them? Wow all the travel channels that goto Germany have to get signed statements from everyone in the background of a TV series showing a crowed street while they make a documentary of something?

Its different in America as you have no expatiation of privacy except in closed four walls and in a private setting like a store or something like that.. A person can take a video of a place like say a street sign they find interesting at a place like new york and there will be about 250 people in the background.I guess in Germany you would have to stop everyone and get their permission to take a photo with them in it seems kinda time intensive.

Escef had a good point when you tell people online that you are twitching and such people act like morons or go and hunt you down in games. I used to do the same thing until I got a strike from PGI about advertising saying "Twitch/Oldbob10025" and that stopped real quick.Being online you will meet all sorts of Keyboard Commandos and you just have to protect yourself from them the best way you can and one way is not saying "Twitch/oldbob10025" and let it be.

I do have a question about online gaming then.. If your playing a game of say call of duty with people all around the world do you have to stop match and have them sign a agreement that you can use the footage for projects from everyone involved? I'm not being a *** or anything but youtubers that I talk too have some major issues with Germany's laws on that subject and almost all music that a youtuber makes or uses always has a copyright that it cant be played in Germany, or some sorts.

Its wonderful that we can play with others from all over the world and l LOVE that fact I have friends from Germany, England, Scottland, and even far away as Japan and its awesome that we all can come together as friends and just have fun and play games...

#32 Dex Spero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 November 2016 - 11:39 AM

View PostOldbob10025, on 16 November 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

If you need any help let me know I can show you what I learned...

Thanks Oldbob! I'll send you a message when I get there and you can give me some advice on how its done cuz I know less about my computer then I do about Mongolian architecture and I know nothing about Mongolian architecture.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users