Increasing player choice.

2 replies to this topic

#1 Svaje

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

I believe that the players ability to affect the outcome and consequences of the game will be a big factor whether this game will be successful.

We have two large debates raging on the boards: The “customization” debate and the “ownership/destruction” of mechs debate.

Both these debates seem to bog down into simple for/against positions. I believe the developers should solve this with the concept of choice/consequence. Both issues should put the player in the position of choosing whether s/he wants to risk his current earnings against her possible future winnings/advantages.

For example: Give the player the option to withdraw from combat instead of always have to face total destruction of his mechs. Then it becomes the players choice to take the risk of losing big against winning big or withdrawal and not making any/less money this mission.

Or in the case of customization, make the swapping of dissimilar parts have consequences. It can be as simple as increasing the heat output of that extra laser because the improvised coolant hoses is poorly insulated or increase the possibility that the auto cannon jams due to too tight feeding-mechanism for the ammo.

Other examples can be to introduce other “not so canon” options that increase the players choices. For example to introduce smoke-launchers that have been suggested. Player activated smoke screens would increase the tactical options for the player in combat.

#2 metalwolf2900

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Locationwrenchin on a damn knee acuator in the garage

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:56 AM

i highly agree with you on this, i wouldnt mind "problems" occuring if i customize my mech, infact i would expect such events to take place. lasers you could have a coolant hose blowout on an improperly installed hose, as far as ac's go, they need to put in the jamming event on the machines that have them on as standard equipment (have read many bt novels that even properly installed ac's have jammed due to feed belt malfunctions.) so i would acually greatly appreciate the evens as to make dropping into battle a little more "realistic" and truer to bt canon and to r/l scenario. you dont get the joy of it working if it works all the time :P and makes you go " please oh please work this time!"

Edited by metalwolf2900, 12 December 2011 - 06:57 AM.

#3 Torment2

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Wouldn't the swapping of parts be based on salvage vs. manufacturing them? For instance, I have a FedCom mech and want to change a large laser for 2 medium lasers. (A very realistic assumption) I can see the point if you're using Kurita salvage, but why not just order parts from a FedCom factory or get one from an auction? Surely you wouldn't have this issue at that point, correct?

It entirely depends on how far you want to take micromanaging before it gets tiresome. Ground rules need to be established for customization if it is to occur.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users