Cyclops Splatter

22 replies to this topic

#1 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:31 AM

Well as noted in another thread I've been thoroughly enjoying the STK-5M brawler build. So, I started taking a look at the Cyclops chassis and eyeballed the CP-10-Q and put the following together:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9998d3da80f0067

Fire and heat control would be necessary but sort of in the "more is better" category, if I liked 5 SRM6's, I might like 6 SRM6's even more.

I don't have any experience with the chassis though. Am I missing out on something huge here? Heat a more major issue than I might expect?

#2 Nerd Incognito

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 59 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

Just my opinion, and I don't have the Cyclops, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think you're going to be ammo starved. I would personally drop each arm to 30, knock just a couple of points off the legs, and add another 2 tons of ammo.

I also feel like you're moving pretty slow, but as I don't pilot the Cyclops, I'm not sure if that's pretty standard, or not. You could drop the LL (which makes more ammo even more important), up the engine, and go with something like this. You'd be totally SOL once you're ammo is gone, but you've got 20+ volleys.

You may also want to split your volleys into two shots of three most of the time, too, for heat reasons. That said, I run a Stalker 5M too, and I don't split my volleys, so...

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

It has energy hard points. Huh.

Seriously, there's no reason to use the energy hard points and especially not for a large laser. That weapon synchs terribly with SRMs. All you'll get out of that is a temptation to take damage before you're in your optimal range.

I run mine like this and it wrecks face (averages 537 damage and 3.57 KDR). Don't fear the XL, it allows you to twist and shield better (I almost always die to CT after being open everywhere). If you must have a STD, I'd do something like this.

#4 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 01:00 PM

Well, I'll admit, the model was based heavily on my 5M build where I have a LL on that build as well. As the Stalker can be sticked pretty easily, and the LL is a center torso mount, there it's at least a final middle finger you can do while they wreck the rest of you.

Here, it's a side torso mount and yeah, if the side goes with the SRMs, then the LL goes as well.

As for the STD vs XL I think I'd have to play with it. I have some experience with Inner Sphere XL's in Black Knights (pre-upscaling) and it wasn't too bad, but it was always a concern to be aware of. It might be good to start with a basic STD build and then work into the XL.

Thanks for the thoughts!

#5 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Also try 7 ASRM4 with XL. You can aim at components this way and waste less ammo on splash, resulting in less ammo needed. And ofc SRM4 pair better with SRM4 than with SRM6.
For the energy slots you can use small or med pulse lasers to add a little more damage on SRM range without the necessity of actual cooling.

Edited by Kuaron, 16 November 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#6 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 16 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

i went with 3 medium lasers, 6 SRM4's and 1 SRM6, runs a little hot so i split the srm4s in 2 groups and add the SRM6 to both, hit with one lot of 3 srm4s and the srm 6 and then another 3 srm4s, STD 350.

If you can get close enough things tend to disintegrate

#7 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:32 PM

My Cyclops 10Q mounts 7 SRM6 launchers with no Artemis, two small lasers, and a standard 340, with one of the arms stripped. Now if you're like me you are slightly skeptical of running that many SRMs without Artemis. But what I've realized is that the primary arbiter of SRM spread it the location of the hardpoints relative to each other, and the density of the tubes. The IS Highlander has hardpoints far apart and a lot of space between tubes, so four SRM6s gives you zero focus. But the Cyclops, on the other hand, has all of the launchers clustered closely together with the tubes right up against each other. Fired in a group of four and a group of three, the 7 SRM6 launchers provide a spread more similar to SRM4s on a smaller mech.

This build actually runs reasonably cool. An XL isn't necessary; you can have a relatively fast speed for an assault mech even without it, and this mech loses STs constantly. A major selling point of this build is that if you literally lose half your mech, you still have 4 SRM6 launchers.

#8 Nelos Kniven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 225 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

Inspired by The B33f, this build is unrelated to SRMs, (those are amazing loadouts by the way) this is a low armor, low speed LRM Killer.

#9 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:48 PM

You'd better hope no one closes on you in that thing, Armpit. Once they do, you are done. Personally speaking, I'd probably make some sacrifices to get a bit more armor on the chassis but that's just me.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:57 PM

View PostRemillard, on 16 November 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Well as noted in another thread I've been thoroughly enjoying the STK-5M brawler build. So, I started taking a look at the Cyclops chassis and eyeballed the CP-10-Q and put the following together:

Fire and heat control would be necessary but sort of in the "more is better" category, if I liked 5 SRM6's, I might like 6 SRM6's even more.

I don't have any experience with the chassis though. Am I missing out on something huge here? Heat a more major issue than I might expect?

Large laser for what purpose? Don't be one of those T3/T4 players that "wants something to do while moving across the map.

Make a build for a purpose, the LL has none.

This is how you CYCLOPS SPLAT
1. It's faster
2. It's cooler
3. It can put out way more damage in a short space of time
4. No ghost heat

Edited by justcallme A S H, 06 December 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#11 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 December 2016 - 12:57 PM, said:

Large laser for what purpose? Don't be one of those T3/T4 players that "wants something to do while moving across the map.

Make a build for a purpose, the LL has none.

This is how you CYCLOPS SPLAT
1. It's faster
2. It's cooler
3. It can put out way more damage in a short space of time
4. No ghost heat

But there is a potential for Ghost heat the 4 and 6 are Linked according to Smurfy. But at same time SRM have such low GH penalties ehh

Edited by Mad Ox, 06 December 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:50 PM

You don't alpha... lol. Fire a bank, then the other.

#13 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:53 PM

I just picked up the Hero Cyclops. Fun. As. H3LL.

Gonna get the 10-Q next for some of that SRM action.

#14 Arugela

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

I just modded one of the above mechs to add small lasers. They should run in chainfire for free continuous damage while before and between your shots of your missiles. At 100 damage you might as well keep fireing and take the guy out if his ct is weakened. If not you should be with others to help take stuff down right.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c10e0c6b6dd41fc

Good for guiding your shots also. Plus extra damage in the end. And you can alpha if you want but it will cost an extra 7.4 heat per alpha.

Edited by Arugela, 07 December 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#15 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

You're not utilizing your engine cap. The Cyclops' speed is what sets it apart from other mechs, and with SRMs, it can be critical to making sure you pop up where you're able to do maximum damage. On my close-range Cyclopses, I try to find the weight for an XL400, and on my mid-/long-range Cyclopses, I'll run an XL390 (or XL380, if I'm really desperate to find additional tonnage).

Dropping the large laser (which doesn't do a whole lot of good without at least one companion) and shaving armor can lead you to this build, which carries more ammo, more heat sinks, and the gigantic engine.

My own Splatplops runs ASRM4s instead of ASRM6s. That swap seems counter-intuitive, but since you can use the CT missile hardpoint, you're only down eight tubes, and some of that lost damage is made up for by the ASRM4s' higher rate of fire compared to the sixes. On top of that, the spread on the ASRM4s is so tight that, with steady aim, you can plant all of your missiles on a single component of the target mech, rather than having to tolerate a lot of splatter.

Because of that seventh missile hardpoint, the choice between 7ASRM4s and 6ASRM6s will kind of come down to a matter of preference, so test them out to see which you prefer.

View PostArugela, on 07 December 2016 - 12:24 AM, said:

I just modded one of the above mechs to add small lasers. They should run in chainfire for free continuous damage while before and between your shots of your missiles.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c10e0c6b6dd41fc

Good for guiding your shots also. Plus extra damage in the end. And you can alpha if you want but it will cost an extra 7.4 heat per alpha.

No, sir/ma'am. SRM6s without Artemis have way too wide a spread to be worthwhile. Small lasers do nothing to guide your shots, since lasers are hitscan weapons, while SRMs have travel time. Command Console and BAP are wasted tonnage, particularly on a short-range mech, since their chief benefits apply mostly to long-range combat (improved zoom factor & sensor range) or in the case of BAP, countering ECM, which isn't necessary for non-Streak SRMs. For this particular build, it's better to drop the utility equipment in favor of smashing harder.

#16 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:42 AM

Drop the ASRM6 for standart SRM4, upgrade the Llas to pulse and put some meds and additional sinks into the arms, also upgrade engine to 350standart.
like this.
And before some hurdur tryhard guy with football captain atitude comes along... the purpose of the lasers is to be at least remotely able to hurt faster, smaler mechs at ranges over point blank.
Also your alpha IS significantly higher and more concentrated without wasting tonnage for artemis.

In an overall asessment the Cyclops is a highly inefficient mech with lots of contradicting stats and properties.
Its extreme range sensors would help if there where ways to use this ranged surveilance ability for anything.
Even when stooping to use LRMs your high range sensors are of little use since your missiles will selfdestruct at max 1100m and safe the hero cyclops none of them has hardpoints to carry weapons for long range engagements that could be used against the flood of clan mechs roaming the battlefields atm.

Also your sensor enhancement "Aura" is of little use because mechs that want to benefit from it would have to stay within a certain area of your mech. So...your scouts won't realy benefit on maps that can require scouting like polar or turmaline.

Sometimes I have the impression you overal counter ECM strength is higher in a team with Cyclops due to the overall higher sensor range but I can't condense this into numbers.

Edited by The Basilisk, 07 December 2016 - 02:19 AM.

#17 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:28 AM

View PostTercieI, on 16 November 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

It has energy hard points. Huh.

Seriously, there's no reason to use the energy hard points and especially not for a large laser. That weapon synchs terribly with SRMs. All you'll get out of that is a temptation to take damage before you're in your optimal range.

I run mine like this and it wrecks face (averages 537 damage and 3.57 KDR). Don't fear the XL, it allows you to twist and shield better (I almost always die to CT after being open everywhere). If you must have a STD, I'd do something like this.

Hi Terciel, what do you think for this mech a mix between LRMS and SRMS? Is it better to focus on one thing (long range / short range) or it could work?

Edited by invernomuto, 07 December 2016 - 04:56 AM.

#18 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:50 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 07 December 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

Hi Terciel, what do you think for this mech a mix between LRMS and SRMS? Is it better to focus on one thing (long range / short range) or it could work?

Give it a bias to either side (either more SRMs or more LRMS) and spin it ?
Interesting idea anyhow, Invernomuto .

#19 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 07 December 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

4x SRM6 with 3x LRM10 with a big XL engine would be interesting, if ultimately less effective than Tercel's splat build.

If you want to go full troll, try 7x LRM10 with Tag, 10 tons of ammo, and an XL350. Chainfire results in a non-stop stream of LRM10's, at least until you inevitably overheat.

#20 invernomuto

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 07 December 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

4x SRM6 with 3x LRM10 with a big XL engine would be interesting, if ultimately less effective than Tercel's splat build.

If you want to go full troll, try 7x LRM10 with Tag, 10 tons of ammo, and an XL350. Chainfire results in a non-stop stream of LRM10's, at least until you inevitably overheat.

I will post my build. I tried a full SRMs build BUT usually I was shot down before I get in contact with enemies. I did not tried with a big XL engine but with a STD one thought...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users