24 replies to this topic

#1 Ceasar

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:21 AM

S! Pilots.

If I am looking to destroy components and do some component dmg what is best mech and with what load for only that purpose. Best would be to be some medium mech but if heavy is more efficient I will accept that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ceasar, 18 November 2016 - 05:23 AM.

#2 dabeda

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

If you are willing to pay real money, the Arrow (Blackjack Hero) has served me really well for that purpose, otherwise grind out a Nova and put on 12 Slas with 4 Mgs, shreds thru arms and legs like they are butter

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 18 November 2016 - 05:48 AM

Basically anything with a big alpha. Focus on open side torsos and get the two-fer special.

#4 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2016 - 07:32 AM

What Terciel said. Components are the seperate mech parts (the 3 torso locations, both legs, both arms and the cockpit), if you blow off a side torso that still has an attached arm you get credit for that component too. Note that destroying the CT does not net you the side torsos. Likewise destroying the cockpit only nets you 1 component.

The maximum number of components of 1 mech you can earn is 6. 1 leg, both arms and side torsos (needs to be a mech with a standard engine for this) and finally the CT or the second leg for the kill. Getting 2-3 components is more likely.

@dabeda: what you are referring to seems to be the actual destruction of the equipment within components that have lost all their armor, and yes, those mech do that quite nicely. Still won't grant you a component if you do not destroy the actual mech part though.

#5 Ceasar

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:13 AM

Wow,

I am playing this game for almost year now and I did not realize that @SnagaDance. I thought components are also double sinks, ammunition, weapons, AMS etc. I did not know it actually needs to be body parts but inner parts that are in body parts. That was confusing obviously. I am sure most people playing this game did not get this like me.

So because of my luck of knowledge in this field I assumed that I need to use some ballistics weapons like LX or AC to make critical shots on component more often to destroy inner parts. But obviously that is not case in this shredding event.

Thanks for all help I needed it.

I will stick with big alphas and go for arms, legs. Thanks @Terciel

I am planing to do this event with BJ-X laser vomit.

Best regards,
Dejan

Edited by Ceasar, 18 November 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#6 Rintero Pryde

• PipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:30 AM

Use Lasers. They're the easiest to get and keep onto a particular component. Make sure your mouse sensitivity and torso twist speed aren't hugely different, to keep your aim steady and predictable. Make sure you target enemies as swiftly as possible, to determine which component would be the best to start with.

Other than that, practice, and learn where to hit components on different mechs.

#7 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:58 AM

I know you wanted a medium mech but...

Kdk-3 destroys components...

even with the nerfs, kdk-3 still excells at vomiting damage... If your aim is good...

Anything you look at looses parts!

(Granted, enemies will definatelly focus you down... So be prepared for the incomming onslaught!)

#8 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 01:41 PM

I would argue don't use lasers... burn times make it a pita to peel components as compared to high pin point damage1 (exception being if you have an appropriately quirked LBX mech2).

Also consider getting something that will speed up the information on the "paper doll". If your goal is components then know who is open where is super important.

I would say you could build a strong medium component hunter out of the LBX based CN9 or ENF, but you have to have the patience to wait for the fight to be well underway. You don't poke/peak/play the range game... Wait for the push and a ) your team is pushing, be the 3rd mech in the push; b ) their team is pushing, start the counter push; etc...

Ultimately I would want something with strong cooldown on ballistics, build from there.

1UACs, Gauss, PPCs, etc...
2LBX's on either the RFL-LK, RFL-3C (build similar to the Legend Killer and knife fight with it, and spread doesn't matter), CN9-D, ENF-5D, etc... are my choice but the LBX is a hate magnet on the forums because it isn't exactly a good weapon. You also should not use it at ranges beyond ~300m.

Edited by Blind Baku, 18 November 2016 - 01:45 PM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:53 AM

to destroy components (as in arm, leg, head, torsos) you can use any Mech and any load out, however I would say the most important things for doing this are fast target info and being a good shot.

when you press "R" to target a Mech it will usually take a few seconds for you to get target info, when you have target info you can see what is damaged so what to aim for,
Active Probe, Command Console, Targeting Computer and the Target Info Gathering Module all speed target info, I have some Mechs setup with BAP, Command Console and the TIG module, for target info in less than half a second (provided I am in range and the target is not under ECM)

if it has no armor provided it has something in that component, machine guns, AC2s and LBX ACs will do much more damage to the structure than other weapons due to improved chances of getting a critical hit.

if you acturaly want to destroy stuff within the componant use weapons which hit in a single impact and do 10+ damage, so;
IS AC10,
PPC,
IS or Clan ERPPC,
IS or Clan Gauss Rifle
IS AC20
all other weapons deal multiple impacts or do less than 10 damage per hit, each impact randomly hits something in the component
Lasers (standard, ER and Pulse) do a number of pulses of damage over their burn time, each LBX or Clan AC projectile is a separate impact and obviously each missile hit is a separate impact

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:39 AM

I think any long range lasers or similiar should be good, to shoot off arms. Specially around midgame and late game when people are beat up. Many people have no or very little armor in arms as they don't have any weapons there. Of course you need high alfa too, because othervise someone else will blow any weak parts off, without even trying.

With brawlers you usually have to concentrate on the CT, or you don't survive long enough. Ultimately it depends more on your mech, what you can carry. I assume you don't have a lot of mechs to choose from.

I also didn't realise component means the whole location.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:11 AM

Mech doesn't really matter it is the weapons.

MGs, LBX, and flamers all do heavy crit damage.

All and sl do decent due to firing rate. AC/20 instantly destroys weapons when crit is dealt.

#12 Philadelphia Collins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCookin some dirty burgers

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:28 AM

Streak crow or streak mad dog, the streaks will focus on arms first with out doing killing damage. You'll also probably have large damage score so more cbills. They are situational though so at the beginning of the match just be patient and either look for a light mech isolated on the flank or until enemy has closed in. Then just lock and shoot. Equip tag to cut through ecm mechs missle shield, beagle active probe too.

#13 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:56 AM

I like my Nova with small pulse and mgs for tearing off components.

#14 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

I think I'm going to roll a Banshee for this, but I'm still debating.
I may not have the Cbills :(

#15 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostScottAleric, on 22 November 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

I think I'm going to roll a Banshee for this, but I'm still debating.
I may not have the Cbills Posted Image

I would think one would do better in a mech you already own and understand...?

#16 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostTercieI, on 22 November 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

Yes, and I thought about that - but right now I only own 3 CTFs, 3 BJs and the free Centurion.
Generally my Alpha on the baddest of them is in the 40 range, but I feel my DPS is fairly low at 4.76/sec (according to Smurfy, so YMMV) The AC20 on them is a great punch, but it doesn't seem to have the precision accuracy of the lasers. If I start aiming for limbs, I start missing.

I'd like to add about 20 to my Alpha, which the Banshee looks to do, Plus, I've been trying to decide which assault to eventually roll.

And yes, I know it's crazy and probably dumb, but this looks good to me. 6xMLas 2xERLLas, 1xLBX10
Runs hot, yes - but I see using the large lasers at range, then the meds and LBX 10 when up close, and tearing mechs apart.

All it all, the point turns out to be moot. All of the work on the BJs and Centurion has depleted my Cbills too much to get and refit the Banshee any time soon - So I guess I'm stuck with my BJ-3 until I complete the other challenges and then switch to the CTF-L for shredding and c-bill collection :-/

#17 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostTercieI, on 22 November 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

Yup.

And I must say, I'm amazed by all the fuzz, questioning and optimization about this component destruction objective. What's so difficult about it? I mean, it took me 2 or 3 days to do it (mostly playing a Jenner-IIC-A) without paying much attention to it. As always I press "R", look at the paperdoll and aim at the weaken parts... it's basic MWO skill. Posted Image

PS: ScottAleric, if you want a Banshee that chews through components like through butter, go for something like that instead. In particular, dump that LBX.
If you're bound to you BJ-3 (which is a great mech), try builds like this one or that one.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:03 AM

@Scott: it's not about alpha size so much as precision and smart targeting like epikt says. If you have a BJ-1X, 6ML and 2MPL is a 42 pt alpha but it's an excellent carver because you can really control your positioning and deliver those punches where they need to go. And massive alphas won't help you if you can't aim anyway.

#19 BodakOfSseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leftenant General
  • Leftenant General
  • 265 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:04 AM

View Postepikt, on 22 November 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Yup.

And I must say, I'm amazed by all the fuzz, questioning and optimization about this component destruction objective. What's so difficult about it? I mean, it took me 2 or 3 days to do it (mostly playing a Jenner-IIC-A) without paying much attention to it.
Part of it is the confusion of component vs equipment. When I first started, I certainly wasn't sure of the difference. The rest of it is getting enough firepower focused on the right part, consistently, without dying... In other words, skill.
Also, in particular to your comment: Dunning-Kruger effect, and it's corollary:

high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others

PS: ScottAleric, if you want a Banshee that chews through components like through butter, go for something like that instead. In particular, dump that LBX.

Yeah, I saw that one, and it looks good, but too often I'm the one on my team shooting down UAVs, and torso-mounted weapons are crap for doing that. If I do eventually get the Banshee, I'll definitely give that one a shot, because mastering chassis is important.

If you're bound to you BJ-3 (which is a great mech), try builds like this one or that one.

I do like my BJ-3, all in all. Right now I'm running it like this
Also, I've been skilling up my BJ-1X.

Edited by ScottAleric, 22 November 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:14 AM

Try this BJ-1X: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ef457c3f2efa167

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users