- - - - -

Combat Tactics Question

25 replies to this topic

#1 eveofmana

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:34 AM

So over the time I've spent here, I've noticed something odd and have finally decided to poke for answers. The problem is, if someone is dragging a match out. A example, this light mech that ran circles around the map to avoid the 8 vs 1 fight, maybe taking pot shots as he passes the enemy.

I keep hearing I'm supposed to report these types, but it seemed like someone using there speed to their best advantage to rack up the score even if victory itself seemed impossible. So, is this true? I'm to report these types?

#2 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:42 AM

If the pilot is active, for example by using their speed and range advantage to keep the enemies at bay (even if it take times, even if it's a lost cause), or by running and hiding in order to win by cap, DO NOT report them. They are playing the game.

You can report ("non participation") players blatantly refusing the fight, for example by hiding while last mech in skirmish. Don't haste your judgement though, it's often a good tactic to slow the fight down when you're outnumbered, and try to surprized the opponent, so a player that seems "passive" might just be thinking and trying to figure what the baddies are doing and how to put them down.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:21 AM

things you can report someone for include:

non partisipation
e.g.running off and hiding, leaving the Mech inactive,
never moving from the start location, or waiting at the start location until the team has lost then getting a few easy kills against damaged Mechs

deliberately disconnecting
sometimes there are legitimate reasons for disconnecting, e.g. a power cut or internet outage, or fault with the game, these do happen but if someone disconnects while there Mech is functional you can report them for it, although I would only do so if they had made it clear the disconnect was deliberate

deliberately destroying their own Mech
e.g. running out of bounds, or dying to overheat while not engaged with the enemy, or performing a head on charge into a location you know will get you killed (exactly what some players seem to want the last survivor to do, despite the fact that I have seen the last Mech take out 6 enemies to win the game)

using bad language
(unfortunately text speak does not count) this means swearing, real life insults and general stupidity involving comms and/or text chat, I see/hear and report this sort of thing about 1 game in 10

deliberately destroying or damaging an allies Mech
if someone accidental fires an alpha strike into your Mech at match start it could just be stupidity, but if they then do so a second time that is most certainly attempted team killing and reportable.
if you run in front of someone just as they fire a shot, and your Mech is destroyed that would be your fault not theirs.

Team Treason
if you are running from a large enemy formation to try to draw off 1-2 Mechs so you can fight them 1v1 and you pick a good ambush point, and lay in wait then someone if your team announces your location in all chat, they have just committed high treason and can be reported, unfortunately this also applies if someone has ran off into a corner and shut down, although it is highly unlikely anyone would report you for that

spamming chat/VOIP
if someone is constantly talking or typing things which are not relevant to the match they can be reported for that, comms after match start should be mostly relevant to the fight/plan

if you want more in depth information checkout the code of conduct and ingame exploits/greifing policy

#4 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:32 AM

Running and hiding for the sheer sake of not dying is cowardly and I assume reportable.

However, if a lone warrior is able to stay ahead of his/her adversaries and potshot at them in such a way as to win a war of attrition, this is commendable. Especially if the lone warrior can survive until the end all the while whittling the enemy down.

I've only seen this successfully performed once and the lone light mech brought down three enemies (over the course of around five minutes) and was facing the last remaining enemy mech as the time ran out.
That was impressive.

#5 Spangle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:49 AM

If he/she is the last Mech start spectating him/her and see what they are actually doing

e.g Hiding/powered down = report Being all sneaky odd pot shot at enemy they are playing the game

#6 eveofmana

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:50 AM

View Postepikt, on 20 November 2016 - 02:42 AM, said:

If the pilot is active, for example by using their speed and range advantage to keep the enemies at bay (even if it take times, even if it's a lost cause), or by running and hiding in order to win by cap, DO NOT report them. They are playing the game.

You can report ("non participation") players blatantly refusing the fight, for example by hiding while last mech in skirmish. Don't haste your judgement though, it's often a good tactic to slow the fight down when you're outnumbered, and try to surprized the opponent, so a player that seems "passive" might just be thinking and trying to figure what the baddies are doing and how to put them down.

Alright, good. Yeah, this would've placed in my book as tactically retreating. Making the enemy spread out while he used his ECM to bug bite from the shadows if he came across someone. We couldn't catch him, people on my team were raging, crying to report them. I was just looking at them like "... u wut m8?".

Thanks for clearing this up.

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 November 2016 - 03:21 AM, said:

things you can report someone for include:

non partisipation
e.g.running off and hiding, leaving the Mech inactive,
never moving from the start location, or waiting at the start location until the team has lost then getting a few easy kills against damaged Mechs

deliberately disconnecting
sometimes there are legitimate reasons for disconnecting, e.g. a power cut or internet outage, or fault with the game, these do happen but if someone disconnects while there Mech is functional you can report them for it, although I would only do so if they had made it clear the disconnect was deliberate

deliberately destroying their own Mech
e.g. running out of bounds, or dying to overheat while not engaged with the enemy, or performing a head on charge into a location you know will get you killed (exactly what some players seem to want the last survivor to do, despite the fact that I have seen the last Mech take out 6 enemies to win the game)

using bad language
(unfortunately text speak does not count) this means swearing, real life insults and general stupidity involving comms and/or text chat, I see/hear and report this sort of thing about 1 game in 10

deliberately destroying or damaging an allies Mech
if someone accidental fires an alpha strike into your Mech at match start it could just be stupidity, but if they then do so a second time that is most certainly attempted team killing and reportable.
if you run in front of someone just as they fire a shot, and your Mech is destroyed that would be your fault not theirs.

Team Treason
if you are running from a large enemy formation to try to draw off 1-2 Mechs so you can fight them 1v1 and you pick a good ambush point, and lay in wait then someone if your team announces your location in all chat, they have just committed high treason and can be reported, unfortunately this also applies if someone has ran off into a corner and shut down, although it is highly unlikely anyone would report you for that

spamming chat/VOIP
if someone is constantly talking or typing things which are not relevant to the match they can be reported for that, comms after match start should be mostly relevant to the fight/plan

if you want more in depth information checkout the code of conduct and ingame exploits/greifing policy

Cursing? Wow, understandable but wow. Alrighty, good to know.

View PostSpangle, on 20 November 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

If he/she is the last Mech start spectating him/her and see what they are actually doing

e.g Hiding/powered down = report Being all sneaky odd pot shot at enemy they are playing the game

Powering down to catch lone stragglers/backsides is bad? Seemed like another tactic. Isn't TheB33f famous for this?

Edited by eveofmana, 20 November 2016 - 07:57 AM.

#7 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 07:59 AM

View Posteveofmana, on 20 November 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Powering down to catch lone stragglers/backsides is bad? Seemed like another tactic.

Well, as long as you do it for a reason, and not just to avoid a death on your record, I'm OK with it. Make sure to let your team know so they don't think you are just a coward though. Tell them your plan and they won't try to give your position away either.

If you have a good ambush spot, powering down for a little bit can be good or bad. You don't know for sure the approach they will take, and if they are good, they'll be firing at seemingly dead mechs to look for the hit marker. If you're hiding in a small alcove, you might get a strike off, but now you are very close to them, and don't have intel on the rest of their team either.

Either way, you aren't doing anything wrong as long as you have a plan and are still participating.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:02 AM

View Posteveofmana, on 20 November 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Powering down to catch lone stragglers/backsides is bad? Seemed like another tactic.

powering down is fine, just make sure you let your allies know what they are doing, if someone runs off and hides in a corner many people will automatically report it, but if you just mention in VOIP or text chat that you are setting up for an ambush most of your team will be fine with that, and you will not be reported.

also bear in mind that being reported for actions taken in a single game will not do much, most stuff on the code of conduct specifically mentions deliberately or repeatedly,
doing something once (or once a month) could be an accident so you will not get in trouble for it.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 20 November 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#9 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:06 PM

View Posteveofmana, on 20 November 2016 - 01:34 AM, said:

So over the time I've spent here, I've noticed something odd and have finally decided to poke for answers. The problem is, if someone is dragging a match out. A example, this light mech that ran circles around the map to avoid the 8 vs 1 fight, maybe taking pot shots as he passes the enemy.

I keep hearing I'm supposed to report these types, but it seemed like someone using there speed to their best advantage to rack up the score even if victory itself seemed impossible. So, is this true? I'm to report these types?

Do not report, and tell those who say they need to report not to report. Also, offer to help the light pilot through coms. If he has Voice, tell him you can all chat what ever he wants, if he would like. There are times where I would love to have some BroPug taunting the enemy for me. Or generally responding to them as typing would slow me down, but anything they type... slows them down.

Also, unless it is a DC, don't answer the question "Is the last a DC?" leaving the reds guessing is a huge buff for a last stand.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:47 PM

sad truth- reporting does nothing in this area

#11 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:54 PM

Reporting someones position to the enemy team is probably more effective than reporting them for non-participation. But only do it when you are absolutely sure they are not going to try to fight anymore.

There are plenty of different ways to continue to fight as last of the team. Some might seem like he is just trying to run and hide, while he is still fighting.

You should never ever deny the last guy the usually rare situation where he has highly unlikely, but nevertheless possible situation to do something epic.

#12 eveofmana

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 21 November 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Reporting someones position to the enemy team is probably more effective than reporting them for non-participation. But only do it when you are absolutely sure they are not going to try to fight anymore.

There are plenty of different ways to continue to fight as last of the team. Some might seem like he is just trying to run and hide, while he is still fighting.

You should never ever deny the last guy the usually rare situation where he has highly unlikely, but nevertheless possible situation to do something epic.

That is how I see it to. I just kept hearing what I thought was bull, and wanted to make sure they were just impatient kids. And yeah, only times I give a location away is if they were afk/disconnect the entire match and still are when they're the last guy.

Speaking of, I notice that to. A good half of my matches, there is always a disconnect/afk user at spawn. whats the deal with that?

#13 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,887 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

View Posteveofmana, on 20 November 2016 - 01:34 AM, said:

No, your instincts are correct. As long as they're playing to win, and not just running away and shutting down to avoid death (a rare occurrence,) they're fine. They're even fine, according to the rules, if they shut down to run out the clock - although that's asinine and you should never do it.

So like you're thinking, that's a load of horse crap. The people saying to report are the guys who would be in Elo hell in other games - the ones unwilling to own their own play and learn.

Always err on the side of sportsmanship and charity anyhow - never attribute to malice what can be reasonably explained by stupidity. =D

As for disconnects, it's just a luck thing, normally. Some people play the game with really bad connections or computers; others can have connectivity issues or crashes from conflicts between their hardware and the game. They SHOULD reconnect, but it's possible that they are not able to do so.

Most games, I don't have any disconnects, but it's not a totally rare occurrence.

#14 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:59 PM

I was in about 6 matches tonight were things went bad fast. As in the score is 10-2. In the past and still today a little I would and just go kill myself. (depends on the odds)

I've learned 100's of great tips while playing this game. The best one is not to die. I was too aggressive, I always would try to hold 4 of the enemy off etc. Now, I run when outnumbered. And I no longer just give up and I just got two kills with my remaining 2 ER SLs.

#15 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,887 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:28 AM

Don't be too timid, either - you have to risk death, too. You're right not to give up, or try and hold off too many people, but don't neglect to also be aggressive. More games have been lost to timidity than to focused aggression. Sure, you'll die more times - but you'll also be more effective overall. Balance is key; if I wasn't being intelligently aggressive, I'd never have games like this:
Spoiler

#16 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 22 November 2016 - 11:59 PM, said:

And I no longer just give up...

I think the only time it is acceptable to 'give up' is when you're the last one standing and out of weapons (say arm mounts got blown off, or out of ammo) and there are no other means of winning (caps, etc...).

I've had matches where I won without any weapons because they were too busy trying to chase the 'Cookie' who conveniently powered down up and out of sight. I've seen games where the 'stick' used creative body blocking to shield the armed team mate who was whittling down the enemy.

On skirmish, when it's just my armless mist lynx... yeah I'll just stop moving when it's just me and let them farm the kill. KDR isn't that big a deal, and I'd rather just drop again than waste 5-7 minutes playing hide-n-seek for no return, aside from salt, on the time.

#17 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:59 AM

But you have to confess sometimes the winning is no longer really achieveable.
And I find it valid to try to survive longer and try to get a higher battle reward by dealing some more dmg, by running away keeping distance,fire occasionally instead of leroy jenkins with a damaged mech into a one vs four or more formation...

#18 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostaGentleWarrior, on 23 November 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

But you have to confess sometimes the winning is no longer really achieveable.
And I find it valid to try to survive longer and try to get a higher battle reward by dealing some more dmg, by running away keeping distance,fire occasionally instead of leroy jenkins with a damaged mech into a one vs four or more formation...

Every time if you can fight, or achieve some form of reward (cap, etc) it's worth it. If your in a situation where none of that is possible (Skirmish/Domination) and have no means of offense, I'd just get it over with (Though on Domi, running off to preserve KDR isn't too bad as it should be over in less than a minute at that point).

#19 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

If the last player have luck to kill some mech you can receive bonus on kill assist if you hit this mech somehow. In case when you watching battle to the end of course.

#20 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 23 November 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

In case when you watching battle to the end of course.

You don't have to watch. If you died, you can disconnect and go play another match. You will get all the rewards when the previous match ended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users