#22 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

No voip would save the games I've seen.
Funny is you don't need voip when the guys know the basics.
But talking about basics - every thing is lost when I see the players running pure LRM boats in QP - right two or three LRM Boats can save the day - because they are great to fix targets to a location - but else?
Think for your self your rely on a weapon that is heavy dependent from your as well from the enemy team - hey at least you might be lucky and the enemy team has as many LRM mechs as yours.

Voip would not change the fact that you don't know the enemy that you don't know your friends and that you fully place victory or defeat in the hand of others

#23 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

Why do you think it's OK to disadvantage everyone else because you choose to play when your wife is sleeping?

Better look in a mirror Mr. Selfish.

We think it's okay because it's a videogame, and not a job function. I certainly would not try to run a customer service call center from my bedroom while I have sleeping family members inside. However I have no problem playing video games as long as it doesn't wake them up and they think it's okay. If you're serious about playing MechWarrior Online and you're willing to trash people who have family members then maybe you should stop playing MechWarrior and do something more productive with your time. I mean you're taking your time very seriously, right?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 November 2016 - 10:50 AM.

#24 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,059 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

any form of communication is better than no communication, even if its just text and command wheel. the only people who turn off voip are those soft skinned folk who cant shrug off personal insults. im not about to go as far as filtering them out.

maybe if people treated their fellow gamers with respect they would leave it on.

yea right lol.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 November 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#25 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:59 AM

Well, if adding a non-communicating (voice/text or command UI 'enemy spotted' etc) player to the block list doesn't prevent MM from dropping us together, then there's no point in blocking them.

And it's not simply lack of VOIP/mic I'm talking about as I don't care so much *how* a player communicates, I mean lack of communication, period.

View PostProsperity Park, on 20 November 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

We think it's okay because it's a videogame, and not a job function. I certainly would not try to run a customer service call center from my bedroom while I have sleeping family members inside. However I have no problem playing video games as long as it doesn't wake them up and they think it's okay. If you're serious about playing MechWarrior Online and you're willing to trash people who have family members then maybe you should stop playing MechWarrior and do something more productive with your time. I mean you're taking your time very seriously, right?

Well if it's just a game then why so butthurt?

#26 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

View PostBlueStrat, on 20 November 2016 - 10:13 AM, said:

Is it 'elitism' to want to play with people who communicate, keeping in mind that this is a team-based game where communication is essential and teamwork effectively a super-power?

I'm not trying to be harsh. If a player does a decent job communicating with text, that's fine and I would not block them, but it's rare and hard to do when you must stop controlling your 'mech to type.

Far too many matches are lost while there's only silence on voice and nothing being typed...UNTIL the match ends and the blaming and whining begin. I sit there and think; "Why didn't you talk/type during the match when that may well have turned the match around instead of playing deaf-mute until you wanted to whine after it's all over?"

Not in the least, unless you play in QP.

If you want teamwork, cooperation, and a vastly superior game play experience you need to join an active Unit with Teamspeak, Vent, or something like that. Then only play Group or CW with them. Avoid QP like the plague it is.

As you can read, apparently it is Elitism to want to communicate, seek those that do, and want to play with those that do in a team based game.

OP, you are in the wrong queue for teamwork.

Edited by TWIAFU, 20 November 2016 - 11:23 AM.

#27 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 20 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostShiteknight Kerensky, on 20 November 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

/Facepalm

Posted Image

Quality first post right there.

#28 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

I strive to to be able to play in every situation. I don't know, perhaps it's wanting to be the best I can be attitude. I never ever look for ways to make it easier to play other than searching for the perfect build.

#29 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 20 November 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

About half of the time that I'm playing, my wife is asleep.

You are putting me on ignore because I don't want to talk to you and wake up my wife?

I think you know what that makes you.

Someone who doesn't play PC games in the marital bed ?

#30 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 12:46 PM

Best troll thread ever.

As a matter of curiousity, when you start dropping with people you've already blocked, and they don't communicate with you (because you blocked them), are you going to double-block them, or is this like a "double-secret probation" thing?

#31 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

Id like to add that from my personal experience its far more important to have eleven guys listen to one guy talking than have 4 or 5 guys communicating. Then the team gets disorganised. Go ahead, lead if you want to, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt, still pay attention to chat, dont expect people to "roger!" your ever word in voip, that would be stupid and not efficient. Just because everyone didnt follow your order didnt meant they werent listening, maybe they couldnt afford to do it at that moment.

#32 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostAkhri Mala, on 20 November 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

About half of the time that I'm playing, my wife is asleep.

You are putting me on ignore because I don't want to talk to you and wake up my wife?

I think you know what that makes you.

Ditto. Sometimes I talk, sometimes I don't. If I don't, there are reasons.

Why do you think it's OK to disadvantage everyone else because you choose to play when your wife is sleeping?

I'm not sure how to put this any nicer ... but I think you need to get a life.

#33 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

View PostCathy, on 20 November 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Someone who doesn't play PC games in the marital bed ?

Come on now, there are plenty of people who don't have a separate room for every appliance. Just as there are people who can't so easily afford a microphone heatset. Or speak English.

OP clearly just misunderstood the function of blocking and it backfired his good intentions. In his second post he mentioned games which I'm sure we've all seen, in which the communication stats only after a defeat is obvious, when people blame others for that defeat. I'm sure that is irritating specially for those who tried to communicate.

#34 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

One word: fail

#35 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostTWIAFU, on 20 November 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Not in the least, unless you play in QP.

If you want teamwork, cooperation, and a vastly superior game play experience you need to join an active Unit with Teamspeak, Vent, or something like that. Then only play Group or CW with them. Avoid QP like the plague it is.

As you can read, apparently it is Elitism to want to communicate, seek those that do, and want to play with those that do in a team based game.

OP, you are in the wrong queue for teamwork.

The biggest reason I don't play factions/CW is that you need to pilot all weight classes to drop. I can't pilot light 'mechs effectively enough to bother with as I play on a potato (but a potato w/voice-comms!) that averages 15-17 FPS in-game (low FPS makes mixing it up in a light look like a slide-show) and can't afford new hardware as I'm disabled and on medical disability/fixed-income. Even faster mediums are problematic, so I drive heavier mediums, heavies, and assaults exclusively.

As far as people not being able to afford a mic, I couldn't afford one either, so I ripped apart some old audio electronics junk I scavenged-up and salvaged a raw, bare, dynamic mic element and wired it up to a 1/8th-inch mini-plug I also salvaged to connect to my PC. It lays on top of my keyboard hanging off a couple wires. *That's* how important I feel communication is in this game.

Edited by BlueStrat, 20 November 2016 - 02:39 PM.

#36 Finring

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

On behalf of all the hearing and speech impaired gamers out there (of which admittedly I am not one of) please add me to your block list.

Thank you.

Edited by Finring, 20 November 2016 - 03:17 PM.

#37 BlueStrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:15 PM

View PostFinring, on 20 November 2016 - 03:05 PM, said:

On behalf of all the hearing and speech impaired gamers out there, please add me to your block list.

Thank you.

Done and done.

You're welcome.

#38 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

Best troll thread I have seen in General Discussion since 2013.

Make the MWO forums great again.

PS: I am perma-blocking anyone who doesn't use the Command Wheel. If you say "Thanks" via VOIP or team chat instead of Command Wheel, you are dead to me.

#39 Finring

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 70 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

Please block me Mr. Tristan as I don't even have the Command Wheel key bound :P

#40 Druarc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:38 PM

I'd prefer it when it not 1 or 2 good players on come calling targets and locations. Find then team will preform to best.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users