Any Good Heros Out There?

51 replies to this topic

#21 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:44 PM

Nop, 2 UAC/5 + 2 AC/5. I run out from time to time, but I've got enough ammo to pull my weight.

#22 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:48 PM

View Postepikt, on 23 November 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Nop, 2 UAC/5 + 2 AC/5. I run out from time to time, but I've got enough ammo to pull my weight.

That's the build I'd gone to buy probably would go back to 4 5s and 2ML now.

#23 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

I had a good run with the Sparky up to now.

I Misery is still considered one of the most fun Stalkers if your already running a couple.

Been thinking of getting a Bounty Hunter allot of great builds for that machine.

#24 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image

Purifier is strong. But most people can't tolerate playing a pocket medium, so YMMV.

#25 Bassie

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

With the Mc you have, I'd look at a mastery pack rather than a hero.

On that, I bought the raven pack and was surprised to find that the huggin became my favourite mech.

#26 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:09 AM

View PostBassie, on 24 November 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

With the Mc you have, I'd look at a mastery pack rather than a hero.

Mastery packs can't be bought with MC, only fresh dollar$.

Edited by epikt, 25 November 2016 - 03:07 AM.

#27 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:20 AM

View Postepikt, on 25 November 2016 - 12:09 AM, said:

Mastery packs can't be bought with MC, only fresh dollar$.

That's incorrect. You probably get better value buying them for cash, since the conversion rate to MC is so awful, but mastery packs are in the in-game store for MC.

#28 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 03:07 AM

Didn't know that, thanks for the correction.

#29 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:46 AM

There are some odd pricing changes if you compare them - legacy of the old vs more recent packs.

#30 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

View PostNerokar, on 23 November 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

Hi pilots!

I like this game, so I invested some money to support PGI after two weeks of playtime. Now, after some events I have ~5k MC left. With the next week a Hero discount will hit. So i'm thinking about buying one. Unfortunately I have absolutly no Idea if there are any good heros (I'm playing clan only atm and have no exp at IS weapons and mechs).

Are there any Heros worth it (30% cbill bonus is nice for me)? Or buy TBR champ (TBR is my most played mech) for cbill-bonus if it is on discount? Or simply buy some Mechbays and save the rest for colors and paintings when they are on sale...

Thanks!

You've had some great replies to your question but I have one minor thing to add that I did not see mentioned:

You prefer the Timber Wolf so my advice is to get the hero variant because you already know how they handle and you know that you like them.
It's a fair bet that you will be happy with it.

#31 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 01:33 AM

Thanks for the answers and nice discussions!
I bought a Locust yesterday. Little funny beast. Played many nice games in it after some training. It rocks! So I definitely want the pirate's bane for ECM. After it I'll have enought MCs for one expensive mech and some bays.
As medium mechs i have some like masterd nova, IIC hunchies + champ, CN9-a ncix (not yet played), and BJ-2L (not yet played) and will get the Grid Iron. So I have no shortage here.
I have some havies like TBR, MADs (only some games here) and HBR-FL, I think 3795MC for TBR Champ's 30% cbill bonus is costly. And because I have the nice HBR-FL to master, my hanger is ok here... I think... 4xac5 black widow sounds tempting...
And now my assaults... 3 KDKs only. So I want an other chassis here... But I cant see any assault on sale offering more then 30% cbill advantage over its cbill variants on sale that is worth >3000 MCs. Do I underestimate some hero here?

Any hints? Here is the list of all mechs on sale:
https://mwomercs.com...to-black-friday

And now some bonus questions:
  • What is the point of Hellslinger? Looks like downgrade to other variants, as Epict said. Has the 3rd M-Hardpoint in ST so much value?
  • What is the point of viper (Medusa). Sure, it is realy fast, has more armor then lights, some nice hardpoints, but it is BIG. Destructing its advantages over lights I guess (Same for Cicada)... Or do the extra tonnage offer enough to offset its size?
  • As I want to by the PB: Are MGs good for something? The main point for IS light for me is the short duration of the beams. So I can shoot and hide. For MGs I need to move much closer, get some spare tonnage for ammo AND have more facetime. Sounds like a bad trade for 1,6(1,9 after quirks) DPS and some critchance of 2 MGs...
  • Is the mastery pack (thanks for the hint Bassie) for locust worth the ~2500 MCs? If I buy it, I would add some bays to it and save the rest of my mcs for sales of colors and patterns...
EDIT
@ Star Commander: TBR Hero is not on sale :-/

Edited by Nerokar, 28 November 2016 - 01:48 AM.

#32 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 02:45 AM

View PostNerokar, on 28 November 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

Thanks for the answers and nice discussions!
I bought a Locust yesterday. Little funny beast. Played many nice games in it after some training. It rocks! So I definitely want the pirate's bane for ECM. After it I'll have enought MCs for one expensive mech and some bays.
As medium mechs i have some like masterd nova, IIC hunchies + champ, CN9-a ncix (not yet played), and BJ-2L (not yet played) and will get the Grid Iron. So I have no shortage here.
I have some havies like TBR, MADs (only some games here) and HBR-FL, I think 3795MC for TBR Champ's 30% cbill bonus is costly. And because I have the nice HBR-FL to master, my hanger is ok here... I think... 4xac5 black widow sounds tempting...
And now my assaults... 3 KDKs only. So I want an other chassis here... But I cant see any assault on sale offering more then 30% cbill advantage over its cbill variants on sale that is worth >3000 MCs. Do I underestimate some hero here?

Any hints? Here is the list of all mechs on sale:
https://mwomercs.com...to-black-friday

• What is the point of Hellslinger? Looks like downgrade to other variants, as Epict said. Has the 3rd M-Hardpoint in ST so much value?
  • What is the point of viper (Medusa). Sure, it is realy fast, has more armor then lights, some nice hardpoints, but it is BIG. Destructing its advantages over lights I guess (Same for Cicada)... Or do the extra tonnage offer enough to offset its size?
  • As I want to by the PB: Are MGs good for something? The main point for IS light for me is the short duration of the beams. So I can shoot and hide. For MGs I need to move much closer, get some spare tonnage for ammo AND have more facetime. Sounds like a bad trade for 1,6(1,9 after quirks) DPS and some critchance of 2 MGs...
  • Is the mastery pack (thanks for the hint Bassie) for locust worth the ~2500 MCs? If I buy it, I would add some bays to it and save the rest of my mcs for sales of colors and patterns...
EDIT

@ Star Commander: TBR Hero is not on sale :-/

I really like the Pirates Bane but just run 4 ML as you need to find weight for the ECM, unlike the other Locusts, by stripping the armour from the arms. I also like the ability to fire at optimal without alerting the target with the ECM so use ML rather than SPL.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6b9c435ab25c68

The mastery pack is already heavily discounted if you want all the items and will be included in the sale so gets even better.

On the Medusa - I enjoyed it but I'm leery of advising anyone to spend MC/money on it as so many people don't like Vipers. If you like them then its a fun way to earn extra c-bills. This is the build I use - its incredibly agile with its quirks.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c17c57903dfcda5

I'm going to pass on the Hellslinger as not tried it personally... but I might be picking it up as I don't have any of that chassis yet. ;)

Edited by Aramuside, 28 November 2016 - 02:47 AM.

#33 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:55 AM

I am looking to get the Battlemaster Mastery pack, so will be getting the Hellslinger. I was a bit iffy with it, as it is rarely seen.
It's closest match is the 1S which also has missile hardpoints. Without having played it, I can suppose that by comparison to the 1S, the Hellslingers quirks are more generic, and having the 3M and 3E slots in the torso means you can have 1-2 shield arms. If you wanted to run PPCs, it'd have quirks too, but I won't be running PPCs.

Then there is the 30% C-Bill bonus.

#34 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:40 AM

View PostGrumpyMuppet, on 28 November 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

I am looking to get the Battlemaster Mastery pack, so will be getting the Hellslinger. I was a bit iffy with it, as it is rarely seen.
It's closest match is the 1S which also has missile hardpoints. Without having played it, I can suppose that by comparison to the 1S, the Hellslingers quirks are more generic, and having the 3M and 3E slots in the torso means you can have 1-2 shield arms. If you wanted to run PPCs, it'd have quirks too, but I won't be running PPCs.

Then there is the 30% C-Bill bonus.

Well with the torso hardpoints and hit location a lot of people run a large xl in threre with three torso mounted LPL and 3 ML in the other hardpoints:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...773c003ccb419f0

#35 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostNerokar, on 28 November 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

What is the point of Hellslinger?

It's pretty heat efficient on hot maps, since it does take penalty from environement heat. It never was considered the strongest variant though.
I'm not really an assault pilot myself, so my expertise it pretty slim on the subject...

What is the point of viper (Medusa). Sure, it is realy fast, has more armor then lights, some nice hardpoints, but it is BIG. Destructing its advantages over lights I guess (Same for Cicada)... Or do the extra tonnage offer enough to offset its size?

This mech is extremely manoeuvrable and, I must say, one of the funniest mech to pilot. If you like light and fast medium mechs you should like it.
That being said, since it's a thread about heros, I don't think the Medusa is a mandatory purchase.

As I want to by the PB: Are MGs good for something? The main point for IS light for me is the short duration of the beams. So I can shoot and hide. For MGs I need to move much closer, get some spare tonnage for ammo AND have more facetime. Sounds like a bad trade for 1,6(1,9 after quirks) DPS and some critchance of 2 MGs...

You awnsered the question yourself.
On the PB the MGs are a waste of tonnage and will draw you to make position mistakes. 4 MLas is basically the way on this mech.

#36 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:09 AM

View PostAramuside, on 28 November 2016 - 04:40 AM, said:

Well with the torso hardpoints and hit location a lot of people run a large xl in threre with three torso mounted LPL and 3 ML in the other hardpoints:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...773c003ccb419f0

This is exactly my point. For laser vomit BLR-1G BLR-2C look better to me.
As a SRM/LRM Boat BLR-1S wins because of one more M-hardpoint.
The only point I can see for Hellslinger is PPC spam... that can be done on other variants too...

But as I said, I am not sure if I got this mech "right"

#37 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostNerokar, on 28 November 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

This is exactly my point. For laser vomit BLR-1G BLR-2C look better to me.
As a SRM/LRM Boat BLR-1S wins because of one more M-hardpoint.
The only point I can see for Hellslinger is PPC spam... that can be done on other variants too...

But as I said, I am not sure if I got this mech "right"

Yeah, it's not a standout, but it's decent. 4LPL was one of my favorite BLR builds and it runs that pretty well with 30% bonus. I've mastered every BLR, right now 1G and 2C are the winners.

#38 Nerokar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:27 AM

View Postepikt, on 28 November 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

It's pretty heat efficient on hot maps, since it does take penalty from environement heat. It never was considered the strongest variant though.
I'm not really an assault pilot myself, so my expertise it pretty slim on the subject...

Thats, what I thought... thanks for confirmation. When I buy my next assault, it will be BLR, EXE or (if Ifeel need for slowdown)KGC, but no hero.

This mech is extremely manoeuvrable and, I must say, one of the funniest mech to pilot. If you like light and fast medium mechs you should like it.
That being said, since it's a thread about heros, I don't think the Medusa is a mandatory purchase.

Same as for BLR but since I bought my first LCT I need more speed... everything else is so turret like... So I will def. try this chassis... but without hero...

You awnsered the question yourself.
On the PB the MGs are a waste of tonnage and will draw you to make position mistakes. 4 MLas is basically the way on this mech.

I thought this more global... are there uses for MGs at all? Not only for PB. Now they look like tonnage waste on every single mech for me

Edited by Nerokar, 28 November 2016 - 06:31 AM.

#39 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostNerokar, on 28 November 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

I thought this more global... are there uses for MGs at all? Not only for PB. Now they look like tonnage waste on every single mech for me

If you can hold back from the fight until it is well underway, or better yet get behind the enemy, I find the 4MGs and 2SRM(4)s of a Huggin to be very useful. Same with the 6MGs of the Arrow. Other than that...nope, can't think of any practical or consistent uses of MGs, in a hero or otherwise.

#40 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:07 AM

On the PB, the MG's are a waste IMO... but then sometimes I strip too much armor, downgrade the engine and run ECM/1ERPPC because who cares about being meta (it is a bad, bad, bad build and generally should not be). On the whole, as was already stated 4MLs is solid.

I am fairly certain half the mechs with MGs just have them as a hang over from TT, where it was a combined arms mentality and infantry could pose a threat to you, but MG's act as a counter against said infantry.

4MGs on a spider is a BAMF.

Edited by Blind Baku, 28 November 2016 - 12:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users