51 replies to this topic

#41 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostNerokar, on 28 November 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

I thought this more global... are there uses for MGs at all? Not only for PB. Now they look like tonnage waste on every single mech for me

They are mostly useful on these conditions: 1/ on a fast mech, 2/ stacked (at least 4) and 3/ with rate of fire quirks.
Like on the Spider-5K or the BlackJack Arrow.
WIthout rof quirk I found it to be kind of ok on some clan mechs with multiple ballistic hardpoints, such as the Kit-Fox or the Viper.

#42 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:11 AM

i really like the quickdraw hero, IV-4. unlike most i play it with 2 really fast firing ac'5s and 2 srm4+ artemis for good close range punch along with 2 mlas.
it can be very hot if you use all weapons consistently (especially the lasers but those are more to use when out of srm range together with the ac5's in midrange or when your ac5's got destroyed/out of ammo)

#43 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:47 PM

View PostAlienized, on 28 November 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

i really like the quickdraw hero, IV-4. unlike most i play it with 2 really fast firing ac'5s and 2 srm4+ artemis for good close range punch along with 2 mlas.
it can be very hot if you use all weapons consistently (especially the lasers but those are more to use when out of srm range together with the ac5's in midrange or when your ac5's got destroyed/out of ammo)

What build do you use?

#44 GrumpyMuppet

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:14 PM

Thats, what I thought... thanks for confirmation. When I buy my next assault, it will be BLR, EXE or (if Ifeel need for slowdown)KGC, but no hero.

Same as for BLR but since I bought my first LCT I need more speed... everything else is so turret like... So I will def. try this chassis... but without hero...

I thought this more global... are there uses for MGs at all? Not only for PB. Now they look like tonnage waste on every single mech for me

Huggin with 4xmg and a rof quirk finishes assaults with no armour on their back quickly. It immobilises other lights with leg damage quickly as well, and many mediums and heavies have been slowly torn apart. Y

Thats, what I thought... thanks for confirmation. When I buy my next assault, it will be BLR, EXE or (if Ifeel need for slowdown)KGC, but no hero.

Same as for BLR but since I bought my first LCT I need more speed... everything else is so turret like... So I will def. try this chassis... but without hero...

Huggin with 4xmg and a rof quirk finishes assaults with no armour on their back quickly. It immobilises other lights with leg damage quickly as well, and many mediums and heavies have been slowly torn apart while occupied with a brawl. Having said that, I think tier 1 players recommend removing the mgs to upgrade the srm4s to asrm6's.

#45 Omniseed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Kashira
  • Kashira
  • 255 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostBlueFlames, on 23 November 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

Sleipnir, at least before the (U)AC5 nerfs of this last patch was a fast dakka mech, capable of mounting 2AC5+2UAC5 and an XL380. Now, it might be best kept closer to stock, with dual Gauss, since the dakka build doesn't exactly have space or tonnage to spare for heat sinks. Honestly, this is probably one of the hardest-hit hero mechs from the last patch, despite the nerf bat not hitting it directly.

Run it with all AC/5 and it's still smooth and powerful, like a fine detergent.

#46 Tamagoci

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:17 AM

View PostTercieI, on 23 November 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

All I think when I see a Pirate's Bane is "I want to play a LCT but I'm not actually good enough." This is why mine stays in the garage. Wanna LCT? 1E or 3M like a man. Posted Image

We spec-ops guys take offence to that. It's a silent assassin of the battlefield, whenever there's an event like Hunt the Huntsman it's my go-to mech.

That being said I did buy a 3M and put it to good work right away.

#47 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

View Postepikt, on 23 November 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

Pre-order aside, I personnally recommend to buy heros of mech you already tested and liked. No need to spend real money to realize this mech is not for you, especially if it's your first IS mech.

If I had to pick one best IS heros mech at the moment I'd pick the Black Widow, no hesitation.

Anyway, here are quick review of the IS heros (in bold, my personnal favs) :
- Pirate's bane (Locust) : the ECM gives it a nice twist, but still not as good as the 1E
- Death's knell (Commando) : well, it's a Commando
- Ananzy (Spider) : meh...
- Ember (Firestarter) : I can't say it's horribad but still, it' taking the dust in my garage
- Oxide (Jenner) : still good, even after the nerfs
- Huginn (raven) : buy an Oxide instead
- X5 (Cicada) : meh...
- Arrow (BlackJack) : if you think MGs are viable...
- Saint-Yves Blues (Vindicator) : a Vindicator, so no
- Kuroi-Kiri / Roc (Phoenix Hawks) : two of the weakest PHX variants
- Yen Lo-Wang (Centurion) : AC/20 baby! this mech is a timeless classic
- Grid Iron (Hunchback) : if you want to put a gauss in your Hunchy
- Loup de guerre (Trebuchet) : good SRM brawler
- Sparky (Griffin) : good laser-vomit
- Golden Boy (Kintaro) : meh... I suppose you can spam lurms
- Grey Death (Shadow Hawk) : I must admit I have no idea what this thing do
- Quarantine (Wolverine) : I must admit I have no idea what that thing do
- Fang / Flame (Dragon) : the stadard Dragon variants are much "better" (read "less worse")
- IV Four (Quickdraw) : good at double AC/10
- Legend Killer (Rifleman) : no idea, but it's pink
- Butterbee (Catapult) : nice mix between the C1 and C4
- Jester (Catapult) : pretty good laser-vomit, especially very long range
- Firebrand (Jagermech) : no real idea
- Top Dog (Thunderbolt) : tanky as ****, good firepower
- Tempest (Archer) : no idea
- Ilya Muromets (Cataphract) : pretty badass for a Cataphract, but it's a Cataphract
- Black Widow (Warhammer) : absolutely brutal
- Bounty Hunter II (Marauder) : good laser vomit
- Protector (Orion) : no idea
- Pretty Baby (Awesome) : I have some friends who like it, but I don't trust them
- Dragon Slayer (Victor) : if you plan to go back in 2013
- Hellslinger (Battlemaster) : so many other Battlemasters that kick butts...
- Misery (Stalker) : a Stalker with a Ballistic, you can't go wrong
- Sleipnir (Cyclop) : no idea
- Heavy Metal (Highlander) : if you plan to go back in 2013 (bis)
- La Malinche (Banshee) : no idea
- Boar's Head (Atlas) : if you like lazors and XL400

Fellow mechwarriors, feel free to amend this modest list.

My updates as epikt seems to not play a lot of the hero mechs i like the most and have a lot of success with, maybe due to different playstyles.

Roc (Phoenix Hawk) - The only PHX that can mount SRMS, therefore it is good because any really fast mech with SRMS and JJ's can wreck.

Grey Death (Shadow Hawk) - Its a beast, 1 x AC10, 4 x ML, and an SRM, with JJ's. The AC10 cooldown with a module as well, is obscene.

Bounty Hunter II (Marauder) - With an AC20 and 5 or 6 ML, combined with JJ's, this thing is one of the best IS brawlers IMO. Beast.

Protector (Orion) - Another good heavy brawler, 71KPH, with AC20 and 2 SRM's plus lasers.

Hellslinger (Battlemaster) - SAY WHAT NOW? This mech is one of the best hero mechs in the game. Put 2 x PPC, and 3 x SRM6A, and a PPC cooldown module and go nuts. PPC ALL DAY in high mounts, then SRMS for any close range.

Sleipnir (Cyclops) - Ignore what people say about this thing, for QP just run 2 x gauss with an XL and 4 x MPL. I was in the top 20 or so on the leaderboard challenge with this build, it wrecks. Dont use it in FP though.

La Malinche (Banshee) - it has ridiculous LPL and AC10 quirks but you should never buy a mech for quirks. Mount an XL 400 and 3 x LPL with 1 x AC10 and go to town. The Banshee is one of the most XL friendly assault mechs in the game.

Edited by Reza Malin, 07 January 2017 - 10:05 PM.

#48 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 706 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

My two cents. Note that I'm a potato player with only about 400 hours in the game who just made it to tier 3.

I have picked up a couple heroes during the christmas sale. I have done some research and asking around and only bought the heroes that the majority of players recommended. This is by no means a complete list of mechs that I would consider for purchase (if I had more money to spend).

In no particular order:
  • Black Widow (Warhammer hero). 4 ballistic hardpoints, 2 in each ST. That's about all you need to know. Can do quad AC/5, can do 2xAC/5 + 2xUAC/5 (with XL). Pretty fun but needs to face-stare the enemy.
  • Sleipnir (Cyclops hero). Pretty much the same as BW, just more hitpoints. Same DPS. Can do quad UAC/5, but only with STD. I prefer XL and 2xAC + 2xUAC, same as BW.
  • Bounty Hunter II (Marauder hero). It doesn't do anything special, but it's very OK. I like it way more than MAD-3R or MAD-5D. It has ML range quirk so I'm boating 6 of them, and the high-mounted ballistic hardpoint goes to Gauss rifle. Tried AC/10 but didn't like.
  • Tempest (Archer hero). Very fun hybrid LRM platform with ECM. I did 4xML + 3xLRM10, immediately loved the build and never changed it. STD 280, no TAG, no Artemis, some external DHS.
  • Spirit Bear (Kodiak hero). It only does one thing: close range brawling. But it does it well. Anything from the stock loadout (4xS-SRM6 + UAC/10) to the most popular build (4 x ASRM6 + LB20-X) works. MASC helps.

#49 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:11 AM

View PostTercieI, on 23 November 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

All I think when I see a Pirate's Bane is "I want to play a LCT but I'm not actually good enough." This is why mine stays in the garage. Wanna LCT? 1E or 3M like a man. Posted Image

I have to disagree with you there. PB is is Baby's first hero, and not that bad of one either. 1E and 3M are "I want to play the Jenner, but they suck". If you want to be a REAL man, you need to use the Locust 3V. Two MGs, two MPL. Show off your manhood by using one of the weakest mechs in game.

#50 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 26 January 2017 - 01:11 AM, said:

I have to disagree with you there. PB is is Baby's first hero, and not that bad of one either. 1E and 3M are "I want to play the Jenner, but they suck". If you want to be a REAL man, you need to use the Locust 3V. Two MGs, two MPL. Show off your manhood by using one of the weakest mechs in game.

Please. PTR-10P or GTFO. ;)

Seriously, the PB is decent and I like it, but the majority of its pilots are ECM crutchers who don't realize how little ECM matters against good players.

#51 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostNerokar, on 28 November 2016 - 01:33 AM, said:

• What is the point of Hellslinger? Looks like downgrade to other variants, as Epict said. Has the 3rd M-Hardpoint in ST so much value?
  • What is the point of viper (Medusa). Sure, it is realy fast, has more armor then lights, some nice hardpoints, but it is BIG. Destructing its advantages over lights I guess (Same for Cicada)... Or do the extra tonnage offer enough to offset its size?

Ok i can answer these.

The Hellslinger. Oh boy. Yes the extra missile hardpoint is very useful. Here is why.

I have seen many loadouts for this mech and tried a lot out.

The one i had most success with by far was: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6da689c9ea574bb

With a PPC cooldown module, you can blast away those PPC's at a really good rate with its quirk for 10% PPC cooldown already. It also has 20% PPC velocity and -10% energy heat generation. If anything comes within minimum range of the PPC's you can let rip with the ASRM's which also have 15% missile cooldown. Add an SRM6 cooldown module as well and its carnage.

When i used to run IS, i would nearly always get 400-500 damage with this.

The Medusa is good, mainly because it has the laser range quirks so you can use small lasers and get more out of the, ideal for popping out and firing at a bit of range before you can be hit. The Viper-C is another good variant, better for more close range backshooting, with 5 SPL and 4 x MG.

Edited by Reza Malin, 26 January 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#52 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 07:34 AM

View PostOmniseed, on 28 November 2016 - 09:30 PM, said:

Run it with all AC/5 and it's still smooth and powerful, like a fine detergent.

Sleipnir is a monster of a mech. While the UAC5 build is not as overwhelming as it once was, it is still deadly, and the quad AC5 build also hits hard. Basically, it's a Mauler with slightly better hit-boxes, a team-helping sensor boost, and a 30% cbill bonus. Not broken in any way, but powerful enough to be worth dropping some real money on it, IMHO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users