The Frigate King Crab

35 replies to this topic

#21 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:09 PM

Hmm once the new skill tree comes out i'm half tempted to give this a whirl.

#22 Calebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 29 November 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

KGC-0000

Just for more laugh. Your builds are eintopf freakshow. Absolutely useless and rubbish. Using lrm is noobish heresy. :op

#23 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostCalebos, on 13 December 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

KGC-0000

Just for more laugh. Your builds are eintopf freakshow. Absolutely useless and rubbish. Using lrm is noobish heresy. :op

Posted Image

View PostNovakaine, on 24 November 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Novakaine approves of these build.

The build works fine, even Novakaine approves, it's not my fault you can't make it work.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 23 November 2016 - 04:08 AM, said:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by The6thMessenger, 13 December 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#24 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

I can't wait to try this out!

#25 Vox Nihili

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hi there,

On and off player for a long time, more or less stuck to mediums but finally crumbled and picked up a K-Crab due to it being the most beautiful mech ever conceived.

I stumbled upon your guide and decided that a loadout that utilizes all three weapon types really appealed to me, bought the 0000 and have been having a blast utilizing the frigate.

I have killer rounds and poor rounds, of course, but the consistent issue I feel I've noticed is the speed -- I'm a long way from mastering and the 48kph is killer. Have you toyed with any builds utilizing the next engine size up? If so, what would you lose?

Thanks!

#26 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:55 PM

View PostVox Nihili, on 13 December 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

Hi there,

On and off player for a long time, more or less stuck to mediums but finally crumbled and picked up a K-Crab due to it being the most beautiful mech ever conceived.

I stumbled upon your guide and decided that a loadout that utilizes all three weapon types really appealed to me, bought the 0000 and have been having a blast utilizing the frigate.

I have killer rounds and poor rounds, of course, but the consistent issue I feel I've noticed is the speed -- I'm a long way from mastering and the 48kph is killer. Have you toyed with any builds utilizing the next engine size up? If so, what would you lose?

Thanks!
There was the example builds.

Unfortunately, that is the massive downside -- carrying all that weapons, something has to give, and it is that, speed. You can switch to something else though, you can drop the AC10s into UAC5s or just AC5s, convert the LLs to ERLLs, for a longer-range optimization, even opt for a STD325. Still with 600m effective range, speed isn't that relevant.

King Crab Light Frigate 2

Or, you can simply switch to XL360 engine if you can take it. I wouldn't completely advise it, but it's no longer fun when one side is blown off. If you're ridiculously good at spreading damage, really there's only a small difference.

King Crab Frigate XL

The best way though is to master the King Crab to get he most out of this, Im sorry. xD

Edited by The6thMessenger, 13 December 2016 - 10:13 PM.

#27 Larsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 272 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYinz all going to EnP at PGH n'at?

Posted 05 January 2017 - 12:21 PM

This looks like a ton a fun. I can't wait to test this out!

#28 Alex Morgaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

Kaiju frigate will be fun :3

#29 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

View PostAlex Morgaine, on 20 March 2017 - 07:32 PM, said:

Kaiju frigate will be fun :3

Really? could you even build it on a Kaiju?

#30 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLocation Location.

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

Respectfully sir, I believe you have mis-read the 0000, and may not understand the finer points of Lrm dps.

Putting lrm's on a mech doesn not a boat make. One of the great things about the 0000 is that it has enough tonnage to realise a decent laser package and a decent missile package. If you are going in with 4 lrm 15's w/o tag or artemis, that is an assault mech lrm boat, it's cancer, it's wrong, and is a waste of tonnage. (Not suggesting you'd do that btw)

Going in with lrm 5's without artemis is at best an annoyance, but won't have the focused dps to be much use.

Go for 4 x lrm 10's with tag and artemis. KGC-0000 Mid Range Projector

4 lrm 5's with tag and cooldown module gets you 9 dps with a spread radius of 3.15m
4 lrm 10's with tag, artemis and cooldown gets you 15 dps with a spread radius of 2.1m

Put another way,

4 x lrm 5 with tag + c/d puts 9 dps on an area of 31.17m2 or 0.29 dps/m2
4 x lrm 10 with tag + c/d and artemis puts 15 dps on an area of 13.85m2 or 1.08 dps/m2

Dps/m2 is important when you ideally want your missiles to centre and core out your opponents CT.

The lrm 5's are great for suppression, but I would say that with the KJC-0000, if you forget the un-quirked arms (earrings?) and go for turret with legs, it's lrm damage potential is up there with the best dedicated lrm mechs in the game, AND you get to mount three large lasers as well. It's not a 'lurm boat', it's a massive weapons platform for mid range domination.

Edited by The Lobsters, 21 March 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#31 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostThe Lobsters, on 21 March 2017 - 05:14 AM, said:

Respectfully sir, I believe you have mis-read the 0000, and may not understand the finer points of Lrm dps.

Putting lrm's on a mech doesn not a boat make. One of the great things about the 0000 is that it has enough tonnage to realise a decent laser package and a decent missile package. If you are going in with 4 lrm 15's w/o tag or artemis, that is an assault mech lrm boat, it's cancer, it's wrong, and is a waste of tonnage. (Not suggesting you'd do that btw)

And i believe that i didn't, i acknowledged that King Crab 0000 is one of the powerful LRM boats, but i just said that it's not something one should generally build with a 100 tonner, especially considering the speed. Also, boating is kind of like this: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Missile_boat, that's how we define "boat", i did say "potentially shameless LRM-Boat".

LRM40A + 3x LL is not exactly a good use for a 100 tonner in the first place, not with that speed. Likewise, even if you have good DPS, all that damage is spread all over. I run 4x LRM10As + 4x ER-MLs on my TBR, and i can assure you, it's the 80 KPH speed that's making it work.

Go for 4 x lrm 10's with tag and artemis. KGC-0000 Mid Range Projector

You don't have much ammo, and your leg armor is quite low. Do you know what will happen if some light gets to you? Never mind your rear, it's the legs.

As for the suggestion itself, you missed the point of the Frigate thread. Its not that i don't know that build, i actually don't like it, that's why i offered an alternative.

Going in with lrm 5's without artemis is at best an annoyance, but won't have the focused dps to be much use.

4 lrm 5's with tag and cooldown module gets you 9 dps with a spread radius of 3.15m
4 lrm 10's with tag, artemis and cooldown gets you 15 dps with a spread radius of 2.1m

Put another way,

4 x lrm 5 with tag + c/d puts 9 dps on an area of 31.17m2 or 0.29 dps/m2
4 x lrm 10 with tag + c/d and artemis puts 15 dps on an area of 13.85m2 or 1.08 dps/m2

Dps/m2 is important when you ideally want your missiles to centre and core out your opponents CT.

Did you even read the guide at all? I don't care whether the LRM5 is inferior to LRM10s, that's not the point of the build. There's AC10s and Large Lasers, do you think that it's just for show?

Now, consider that your build, taking account of the LLs as well, has 4.63 Sustained DPS, and 17.16 Maximum DPS, overheats at 8s, or have dealt 37.04 damage. The Frigate has 5.52 sustained DPS, and 18.39 maximum dps overheating at 10s and have dealt 55.2 damage, considering the Large Lasers and AC10s.

Was your response made upon the idea that i was saying that 4x LRM5 is better than 4x LRM10s?

The lrm 5's are great for suppression, but I would say that with the KJC-0000, if you forget the un-quirked arms (earrings?) and go for turret with legs, it's lrm damage potential is up there with the best dedicated lrm mechs in the game, AND you get to mount three large lasers as well. It's not a 'lurm boat', it's a massive weapons platform for mid range domination.

It's heresy to the chassis. Yes the LRM5 is just for suppression -- but that tight missile spread is also useful, i have AC10s and Large Lasers, Frigate after all.

I did say:

"A potentially shameless LRM-boat build, with large-lasers just to remove the "boat""

I have to ask, did you actually read the post?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 21 March 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#32 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

I apologise mate, if I thought this would have made you so upset I wouldn't have posted in your thread.

FYI though, the dps figures you quoted are inaccurate, smurfy doesn't account for quirks, you'll need Li Song mechlab for the accurate data. The dps stats, assuming cooldown modules on all weapons are:-

your build 24.9 max dps, sustained dps 9.3
my build 25.2 max dps, sustained 7.

Yes, your sustained dps is higher, my dps is more effective

Also, lrm 5 spread has been now normalised with lrm 10 spread, not that there were much gains to be made with lrm 5 spread unless you were running 6 or more. Lrm 10's with T + A really are the sweet spot most times, if you can fit them.

I wasn't saying your build was crap. It was just a suggestion for building a 0000 that doesn't rely on its un-quirked ballistic hardpoints and has an lrm package that can actually do some damage. You only need loads of ammo if you are planning on wasting much of it. You stated that it is your least favorite KJC, I felt you were getting hung up on those ballistic arms. My suggestion was to strip them and forget about them. You can swap out the LL's for Lpl's and drop some engine if you'd prefer.

Best of luck to you though.

Edited by The Lobsters, 22 March 2017 - 05:02 AM.

#33 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

View PostThe Lobsters, on 21 March 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

I apologise mate, if I thought this would have made you so upset I wouldn't have posted in your thread.

FYI though, the dps figures you quoted are inaccurate, smurfy doesn't account for quirks, you'll need Li Song mechlab for the accurate data. Also, lrm 5 spread has been now normalised with lrm 10 spread.

I wasn't saying your build was crap. It was just a suggestion for building a 0000 that doesn't rely on its un-quirked ballistic hardpoints and has an lrm package that can actually do some damage. You only need loads of ammo if you are planning on wasting much of it. You stated that it is your least favorite KJC, I felt you were getting hung up on those ballistic arms. My suggestion was to strip them and forget about them.

Best of luck to you though.

I never said that you said that my build was crap. What i am annoyed is that you keep focusing on the missile aspect, that you completely missed the point of the build. This thread precisely because i don't want to strip the ballistic arms and forget about them. This thread is precisely because i don't want to play KGC as a lurm-centric mech. Is that really hard to understand?

#34 The Lobsters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

Yep, got it mate. Carry on.

#35 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

Here's a video demonstration.

#36 Thiccacuga

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:59 PM

Has this been updated since the new patches, per chance?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users