• LocationDelios

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 25 November 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

Inverse kinematics has been pushed backs months now
It's when the feet of mechs angle with the terrain they stand on
Instead of floating on it kinda

There was talk about drop decks in quick play matches or something like that
Energy draw has been suspended

Just to add onto that, IK was around back in the CBT. So it wouldn't be a "new" feature, it would just be bringing back an old feature.

#182 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:37 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 November 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

Just to add onto that, IK was around back in the CBT. So it wouldn't be a "new" feature, it would just be bringing back an old feature.

Well yeah I know that, but ok newer players might not

Was removed because of performance issues

Also I remember a mech to be announced at or shortly after mech con
Something PGI has not done before

#183 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 25 November 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

Well yeah I know that, but ok newer players might not

Was removed because of performance issues

Also I remember a mech to be announced at or shortly after mech con
Something PGI has not done before

They claimed it will be something "They've never done before". So, outside of people joking about the terrible things it could be, the most likely option is that they're going to announce the first IS Omnimech. Yippee.

#184 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:43 AM

View Posts0da72, on 25 November 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

They've talked about a new turn based game coming out that uses mech's from this game, but I don't see how that's going to improve mechwarrior online. If it was a real time stategy game like mech commander I might be interested, but not really in a turn based game.

That's a completely different game being developed by a completely different developer. http://battletechgame.com/

View Posts0da72, on 25 November 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

What is everyones expectations for this upcomming mechcon? I see a lot of comments mentioning that it is a make or break for them. I only know of a couple things PGI has mentioned over the last 6 months, maybe I've missed something. They mentioned something about a new skill system being added. I expect them to give dates as well as detailed info on changes. They also talked about adding 'buckets' to FW, basically updating the queue system. A year and a half late, but ok sounds like a step in the right direction although there are still many issues that go beyond that. What else? They mentioned something about a change to the assualt game mode in QP. This one has my attention, I'm hoping they are going share some information on this. If I hear they are adding new and improved turrets back in, I must say I will be disappointed. Am I missing anything?

Well never say never, but I think anyone that is expecting some big change to be announced at mechcon is going to come away disappointed.

I agree. Anybody that expected to be uplifted by Mechcon is going to come away disappointed. What could they possibly announce?

New mechs? Even if Russ comes out and straight up says he was wrong about quads, and they announce a pair of quad mechs, which have completely new movement characteristics from other mechs, something which is quite an undertaking for the programmers and animators involved, it's basically the most new and innovative thing they could bring to the game in terms of mechs... even then, they're still just mechs. Anything less than quads... are still just mechs. So mechs isn't the answer here.

New tech? Timeline skip? Sure, but we still have the Balance Overlord at the top, who has the development cycle of a slug freeze-dried in salt water. So any new tech is just potentially a balancing back-ache that will remain a problem for months upon months before it gets adjusted, and then in the wrong direction.

New maps? Sure, that would be lovely, but we know PGI's mapping schedule. Approximately one every two months on average. So there can't be very many in the works. So if it's maps, it's going to have to be a great departure from the norm. Perhaps two or three CW maps that aren't just funnel through the gates and fight at the hotspots around the orbital gun. Perhaps four or five Solaris maps, in similar vein to the 1v1, 2v2, and 4v4 TestMaps, but finished and polished. So that would be nice, but it's still just maps. We'll need more than that to come out of MechCon not thinking MehCon.

New gamemodes? That's nothing to be excited about. We know PGI's playtesting is bottom of the barrel. Any game mode they develop will likely be very flawed. Remember the introduction of Domination? And the decision to have Conquest only win on cap timeout? Or the idea floating around the Assault mode wasn't over until the base is capped? Adding turrets and towers to Assault mode so that people just avoid the bases and play it like Skirmish anyways? Remove the turrets from Assault mode so that people just whine about cap races? Invasion mode where the best way to win is to ignore mechs and just bumrush the generators... to the point where PGI had to move all the generators to be right next to each other thus turning the whole gamemode into essentially Domination with a 30 minute timer? Counter-Attack where the field base basically doesn't matter? 4v4 Scouting where the only mechs worth taking are the heaviest ones available, and people who take lights to try to play the objective get ridiculed for being no skill cowards that refuse to fight? Yeah, gamemodes aren't PGI's strong suit, so there's nothing new at Mechcon they could announce that would be really worth getting excited for.

New engine? Sure, they could announce that they're working on the next Cryengine version, or rebuilding on Unreal, but that doesn't mean the game is going to get any better. It's still going to be the same maps, same mechs, same gamemodes, same queue times, same imbalances... so that's not worth getting excited for. Especially when you consider that the move robs PGI of time to develop actual *new* features.

Reworked CW logistics? Moving dropships around the Innersphere, garrisoning planets with mechs, each unit getting it's own territory to build from, like it is in World of Tanks (or NetBattleTech or MWO:Proxis), unit vs. unit scheduled battles, MRBC rated units (the lore MRBC, not the 3rd party league), very competitive atmosphere. That all sounds great. But it would be a lot of the same stuff that we already heard from Bryan Eckman in 2013, so... not really new. And we don't even have faith anymore in PGI to accomplish something with this much sophistication and make people happy, so... no, this can't be what's worth being excited for.

Solaris? Well, rumours are floating around that Solaris is getting pushed back and ain't happening any time soon. But sure, it could be Solaris. But how are they gonna do it? 1v1 only? FFA-only? 8v8 only? If it's only a single one of those options, then it will flop. If it's all of those, without also adding too many buckets, then it has promise. But how long will it take? If it's not happening soon, then it's nothing really worth being excited for.

VR? Meh. This isn't a space game. It doesn't work that well here, it's just a gimmick - one that's already wearing off.

AI, possibly Co-op vs AI, or single-player campaign? We'll be excited for it when development is complete and it's all working. But they would really need to show us that it's going to be expansive and engaging. No PGI, I didn't say expensive and enraging.

I guess we're in a world where nobody knows what a rabbit is, and we're all just collectively waiting for PGI to pull a rabbit out of its hat. So I guess no... there's not really any expectations. That's the only good thing Mechcon has going for it... because at least it can't disappoint us if we're not expecting much out of the announcements.

Now if PGI announced that they hired a new team of experienced, successful, and acknowledged programmers and designers to lead the team from henceforth, that would turn some heads in a positive direction. But we know the folks at PGI are too egotistical to back down and let a new team have the reins. Lot of good guys 'n gals working at PGI, but a lot of poor direction at the top. Changing that status quo is the only thing that would excite me at this point.

Edited by Tarogato, 25 November 2016 - 11:06 AM.

#185 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 November 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

...they're going to announce the first IS Omnimech. Yippee.

Pfft. If only they were cool enough to do it.

I'll even put my money where my mouth is - If they release an IS Omnimech during MechCon, I'll buy one for someone.

#SunderOrIRiot

#186 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 November 2016 - 10:45 AM, said:

Pfft. If only they were cool enough to do it.

I'll even put my money where my mouth is - If they release an IS Omnimech during MechCon, I'll buy one for someone.

#SunderOrIRiot

#StridersForRiders

#187 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:48 AM

View PostHunka Junk, on 25 November 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

Can't really say for sure. They could be RIL

IF Mech Con is all they've mad it out to be, the playerbase might skyrocket, content long requested might flood in and be ready to play, and critics might be silenced.

On the other hand, the megafans taking the time and money to travel to Mech Con are not a bunch of third graders, nor are they some randoms who play for joy and ignore the forums. Most of them are far more allied with BT than they are the devs.

They are stakeholders, and the majority of stakeholders will not be in attendance but awaiting an announcement about how our mech money has been spent.

If it's been spent on promises, buggy crap that we are expected to debug pro bono, and not actual bona fide output, then PGI is ROL.

So, yeah, PGI is ROL. There's simply no way they can deliver anything spectacular in a timely manner unless they've secretly spent a LOT of time on development.

#188 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostTarogato, on 25 November 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

I agree. Anybody that expected to be uplifted by Mechcon is going to come away disappointed. What could they possibly announce?

Even though it's just more shiny whizz-bang, I'm pretty sure an announcement saying they are going to be adding the next level of tech would be well-received.

Personally, though, nothing short of turning MWO into a MWLL/Planetside 2-type of game would re-energize it. And to everybody who thinks respawns are inherently bad, sorry, you are just flat-out wrong.

#189 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:53 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 November 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

Even though it's just more shiny whizz-bang, I'm pretty sure an announcement saying they are going to be adding the next level of tech would be well-received.

Personally, though, nothing short of turning MWO into a MWLL/Planetside 2-type of game would re-energize it. And to everybody who thinks respawns are inherently bad, sorry, you are just flat-out wrong.

I'm just gonna say right now that, with the current game, respawns/the dropdeck system only make steamrolls last longer. So I really just want to avoid turning bad QP matches into agonizing spawn camp matches like CW/FW.

#190 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:07 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 November 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

I'm just gonna say right now that, with the current game, respawns/the dropdeck system only make steamrolls last longer. So I really just want to avoid turning bad QP matches into agonizing spawn camp matches like CW/FW.

That's only true because respawn locations are fixed and because respawns happen in waves. The same thing should hold true for Battlefield, but it doesn't...because people respawn on their own timers and in not-random-but-also-not-predictable locations.

But I do agree that respawns would not help the game modes we have now, simply because the game modes we have now are complete snores and would be just as boring if they lasted for 30 minutes instead of the usual 6. See also Invasion Mode.

Scouting and Conquest are the only interesting game modes we have, and most players in a pickup game don't even play them properly.

#191 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 November 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

...Why not have a game mode with a drop deck and 2-3 rounds? Whichever team scores the most wins out of 3 rounds will win overall. Think of the C-Bills you could earn!

Did I just fix FW?

#192 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

View Postjonfett, on 24 November 2016 - 07:56 PM, said:

It's awfully convenient that no info for IGP can be found anywhere...

But we DO love to speculate...

https://www.linkedin...game-publishing

https://www.can1busi...-Publishing-Inc
Corporate Name in the other official language (if applicable)
Édition Jeux Infinis Inc.

Simply pointing out that if Russ does not actually read the articles, Games in french is Jeux. Remember, he is Canadian. I am not defending him :) but this may be why he does not post on the forums for a primarily USA audience.

Based in Montreal, Quebec and formed by industry veterans with a passion for great games, IGP’s leadership has driven online entertainment forward by partnering with best-in-breed developers to bring high-octane excitement to PC gamers everywhere. Working on titles such as MechWarrior Online, MechWarrior Tactics and Sins of a Dark Age, Infinite Game Publishing has since closed-up-shop as former employees have risen to new opportunities.

Posted Image

#193 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 25 November 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

#StridersForRiders

I'd personally prefer an Avatar, though I got a weird feeling it's the Blackhawk KU.

#194 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostBandilly, on 25 November 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

I'd personally prefer an Avatar, though I got a weird feeling it's the Blackhawk KU.

It's bad enough that we get a bucket full of IIC mechs, can we not get II-IS please?

#195 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 November 2016 - 11:33 AM, said:

It's bad enough that we get a bucket full of IIC mechs, can we not get II-IS please?

Generally speaking the II-IS 'Mechs aren't really different from their predecessors in ways that MWO can represent without getting new weapons, etc. I mean, there's the Marauder II, which is 100 tons vice 75, but I'm struggling to think of others that are so different. The Ostroc II, Stalker II, Atlas II are...the same as the Ostroc I, Stalker I and Atlas I.

Really, what makes IIC 'Mechs interesting is that they are Clan-flavored versions of IS 'Mechs. There is no such distinction with II-IS 'Mechs. However, the Blackhawk-KU and Rakshasa are interesting as IS versions of Clan 'Mechs...though I would point out that the Rakshasa would simply be a MAD-5D with inferior hit-boxes unless they give it hardpoint inflation which, itself, would be a massive insult to the Marauder.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 25 November 2016 - 11:44 AM.

#196 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 November 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Generally speaking the II-IS 'Mechs aren't really different from their predecessors in ways that MWO can represent without getting new weapons, etc. I mean, there's the Marauder II, which is 100 tons vice 75, but I'm struggling to think of others that are so different. The Ostroc II, Stalker II, Atlas II are...the same as the Ostroc I, Stalker I and Atlas I.

Really, what makes IIC 'Mechs interesting is that they are Clan-flavored versions of IS 'Mechs. There is no such distinction with II-IS 'Mechs. However, the Blackhawk-KU and Rakshasa are interesting as IS versions of Clan 'Mechs...though I would point out that the Rakshasa would simply be a MAD-5D with inferior hit-boxes unless they give it hardpoint inflation which, itself, would be a massive insult to the Marauder.

In this case, I wasn't refering to the literal 'II' Inner Sphere mechs, but releasing Inner Sphere mechs that are, in the fluff and in art work, direct ripoffs of clan mechs. Like the Black Hawk, which they didn't even bother changing the name on.

EDIT: Though I would love a Marauder II release, if only to confuse the **** out of people not familiar with the lore.

Edited by Bombast, 25 November 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#197 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostBombast, on 25 November 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

In this case, I wasn't refering to the literal 'II' Inner Sphere mechs, but releasing Inner Sphere mechs that are, in the fluff and in art work, direct ripoffs of clan mechs. Like the Black Hawk, which they didn't even bother changing the name on.

EDIT: Though I would love a Marauder II release, if only to confuse the **** out of people not familiar with the lore.

Actually, uh... that was our fault.

Posted Image

Clan Diamond Shark sold the IS a decent amount of Battlemech Black Hawks to the IS on the side. Sorry.

#198 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

Almost all of the most critical posters are still loading up MWO, dropping in matches, and spending cash.

That's a happy ending.

#199 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:57 AM

Oh, and the imgur front page gave me an image that will perfectly sum up to PGI my feelings on how they need to deal with PR and communicating with the community in general.

Posted Image

#200 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 25 November 2016 - 11:51 AM, said:

Almost all of the most critical posters are still loading up MWO, dropping in matches, and spending cash.

That's a happy ending.

Don't be too sure.

I enjoy the game and will continue to play it, but I am done spending money or giving them the benefit of the doubt. I blew my allocated 2016 budget on contests for others with my last purchase for me being the phoenix hawk. Unless mechcon's announcements -and immediately verifiable content- knocks my socks off I will allocate zero dollars to this game at least until CW gets fixed to my satisfaction. I get it, that PGI doesn't care about the money I spend as an individual (though they should, imho, as I have spent A LOT), but there are many people who are waiting on mechcon to see if this game is even worth playing, let alone spending $ on. If enough people are dissatisfied and leave, even the whitest of knights is going to feel the consequences of that kind of plummet in population numbers.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users