61 replies to this topic

#1 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:20 AM

why is this a thing?

oddly enough, it seems to happen most often on mechs that are supposed to have UAC5 anti-jam quirks-

CTF-3D and DRG-5N

#2 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:47 AM

Posted Image

#3 Rift Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 532 posts
  • LocationThe moon

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostClydewinder, on 26 November 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

why is this a thing?

oddly enough, it seems to happen most often on mechs that are supposed to have UAC5 anti-jam quirks-

CTF-3D and DRG-5N

Because PGI is trolling you with their stupid ******* dice rolls

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

It never jams on the first shot. First attempt at double-tap, yes. First pull of the trigger, period? No.

#5 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:53 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 November 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

It never jams on the first shot. First attempt at double-tap, yes. First pull of the trigger, period? No.

not true. CTF 3D this morning, wpn group 2 is 1 UAC5 and 1 PPC - dropped on frozen city and got weapon jam on first right mouse click.

#6 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:55 AM

View PostClydewinder, on 26 November 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

not true. CTF 3D this morning, wpn group 2 is 1 UAC5 and 1 PPC - dropped on frozen city and got weapon jam on first right mouse click.

Video or it didn't happen.

People have been claiming this for ages and not once has anybody ever posted a video, even when Russ himself asked for evidence. If it was a thing, and it was common enough to be a problem, we would have seen a video by now.

I can't post a video, because it simply never happens to me. Methinks you are just losing track of your trigger pulls.

#7 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

I WAS JOKING, PGI!

That man was right! Paul DID read my proposed weapon changes and made Ultra Autocannons jam on the first shot!

I'm sorry, MechWarriors!

Edited by cazidin, 26 November 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:58 AM

View PostClydewinder, on 26 November 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

Nah, you must have double tapped.

#9 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 November 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 November 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

Video or it didn't happen.

People have been claiming this for ages and not once has anybody ever posted a video, even when Russ himself asked for evidence. If it was a thing, and it was common enough to be a problem, we would have seen a video by now.

I can't post a video, because it simply never happens to me. Methinks you are just losing track of your trigger pulls.

i think i can count to ONE

personally i think the UAC jam quirks are broken - LOTS of UAC jams in mechs that should have the jam reduction

#10 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 26 November 2016 - 12:03 PM, said:

personally i think the UAC jam quirks are broken - LOTS of UAC jams in mechs that should have the jam reduction

You can tweet Russ or Paul about it regarding your suspicions, or post it in the patch feedback forums. I personally deny your statement that the first shot jams.

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

Doesn't mean you started your count on the first trigger pull. Things happen in combat, you don't necessarily keep track of everything as well as you'd like to think you do. Post a video of it. Prove us all wrong. I guarantee you will not be able to reproduce it as long as you are actively tracking it, because it doesn't actually happen.

Jam chance reduction quirks are working. Try 3xUAC/5 on a JM6-S versus a JM6-DD, and you'll notice it.

#12 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 November 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Doesn't mean you started your count on the first trigger pull. Things happen in combat, you don't necessarily keep track of everything as well as you'd like to think you do. Post a video of it. Prove us all wrong. I guarantee you will not be able to reproduce it as long as you are actively tracking it, because it doesn't actually happen.

Jam chance reduction quirks are working. Try 3xUAC/5 on a JM6-S versus a JM6-DD, and you'll notice it.

possible, i don't have any Jagers to test and I'm not sure a video will show anything useful but I can try to make one

this was a pretty straightforward jump-snipe single shot PPC/UAC5 that left the ballistic jammed for the normal period

the other possibility is that my mouse button is glitchy

#13 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

My old mouse started to send double-clicks on a single left click so I had to replace it. Things like that happen too.

#14 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 26 November 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 26 November 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

possible, i don't have any Jagers to test and I'm not sure a video will show anything useful but I can try to make one

this was a pretty straightforward jump-snipe single shot PPC/UAC5 that left the ballistic jammed for the normal period

the other possibility is that my mouse button is glitchy

My mouse is sensative and sometimes when i think i pressed it once it was actually 2 tiny micro taps.

The UAC's and RNG feel this tremble in the sea of rng and cut me off before i even get started usually.

But yea, its happens i can hear it if i pay attention and using a different mouse didnt really change it, its just me and my hands so now i just indiscriminately smash the hell outta it and it seems to work better.

PGI only makes games for the most skilled, hammer handed mechwarriors in the land!

#15 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

So... here's the thing...

If you accidentally double-tap - either due to muscle twitch or a funky mouse or whatever - your mech still fires a round before the jam, right?

I mean, it'd be impossible to mistake a first tap jam with an accidental double-tap. In the second case, you'd fire a round - making it pretty obvious your jam must have come on a second tap. In the first case, however, you'll have jammed without any shot having been fired.

Anecdotally, I believe based on my own experiences that first-shot jams DO happen. Obviously I have no proof of this, as I haven't the capacity or interest to record each one of my matches. But I can say I've experienced occasions where I've pulled the trigger and nothing happened, only to find my weapon jammed. Is it possible that I've experienced two concurrant glitches at once? Whereby I inexplicably double-tap without realizing or meaning to, while the game servers simultaneously fail to execute any record of the first shot going out... no sound, no flash, no projectile, and no hit reg? Sure... as buggy as MWO is, I can see such glitches happening. However, I'm more inclined to think that - in very rare conditions - first shot jams can happen.

#16 Mech Croissant

• PipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:48 PM

Yes, it does! Single-tapping uac's does trigger jam!

#17 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:58 PM

They do jam on first pull.

Happens quite often actually, i don't know why someone would want a video proof for that. Never played UACS themself maybe?

#18 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 November 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 November 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

You can tweet Russ or Paul about it regarding your suspicions, or post it in the patch feedback forums. I personally deny your statement that the first shot jams.

I know for fact I've had a UAC jam the moment I've started firing it before. My suspicion is that the code is a little buggy and sometimes one tap can fire both the normal shot and double tap nearly simultaneously, leading to think that it jammed on the first shot. I've only noticed this phenomenon on Innersphere UAC5s. You can force it to happen with Clan UACs as well, but I don't remember ever having it happen accidentally. Though with Clan it's a bit harder to tell because they volley fire, but I know for fact that if it does happen it actually skips at least one slug (so if you insta-double tap a UAC10, you get 5 rounds instead of the expected 6, and it deals 16.66 damage instead of 20), and the missing slug could lead you into thinking that it actually wasn't a double tap.

I suspect this has nothing to do with mice btw, as I've had it happen with keyboard input as well.

#19 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:12 PM

At least when it comes to IS UAC/5, I'm really skeptical. I've run this weapon quite a lot, and I've never once had it jam on first shot. Nor have I ever seen an actual video of this happening to someone else.

My guess, if it seemed like the first shot didn't get off, it was actually still just recycling after an earlier shot.

#20 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostKunato Developments, on 26 November 2016 - 05:58 PM, said:

They do jam on first pull. Happens quite often actually, i don't know why someone would want a video proof for that. Never played UACS themself maybe?

Should be extremely easy for you to prove it then, yeah?

I've played thousands of matches with all flavors of UACs, and first pull jams just don't happen.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 26 November 2016 - 06:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users