Pre-Op Tactical Planning Map

8 replies to this topic

#1 CmdrSpider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

As an added part of the game how about giving each team a 2-5 minute time span to look at a tactical map for the upcoming battle. The team Command unit could take input from other members of the team and then pre-designate points on the map for any number of things (i.e. locations for pre determined arty attacks, way points for the team, areas for the scout to check, defensive positions, or even a Rally Point). This would add to the games realism and help in facilitating more tactical game play.

#2 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

I think this is good, but 5 minutes would likely be too long - especially for the less patient players, and those who have a limited amount of time to play.

WoT has a period of about 30 seconds once about half the players have loaded the game, and then the match begins. This is too short for any real communication. I would suggest this instead:

Have the mechs and map loading in the background, with a semi-transparent overlay showing your team, the map, and a chat feature. Have this stay up so that people can communicate until all players are loaded - and then start a 30-60 second countdown. When that is done, the overlay goes away and everyone takes off!

#3 Astaroth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

That... would be.... awesome!

But I don't see it being feasible. You have to look at who would utilize the feature. The obvious target of a feature like this is your hardcore player, and units that play together. Many players, maybe even the majority, will not want to wait through this planning period; they'll just want to "gogogogogogogo." A feature like this would really be a turn-off for those players. I also see it not being used by most PUGs because of the obvious challenge of not having designated leaders, no one being willing to take orders from people they don't know, etc. Together, that's a large number of players who will not use the feature and will only get irritated by the extra wait time it adds onto their matches. Additionally, guilds that really want to pre-plan their strategies will find ways to do so outside of the game; they don't need this feature to be able to do that.

At the end of the day, it's a killer idea that a good chunk of players would enjoy, but probably not worth the development effort given the downside for less dedicated players and potential negative impact to that very important population.

I suspect the pre-match lobby screen will have a chat feature. I'm not in the beta so I'm genuinely guessing here, but that seems pretty logical to me. Since the game will only have a limited number of maps, it won't take long for experienced players to learn the layout of all these maps and be able to coordinate together without actually seeing the map in the lobby. This assumes, of course, that you know going in which map you're going to get, but I don't see why you wouldn't.

#4 GoriKarafong

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

I like this idea, but as mentioned above a lot of players would be unhappy to wait.

What if you could set a "tactical start" flag for your account. If let's say more than 3/4 of the player in a game have set this flag the game starts with the tactical map and the possibility to use it as described above (set navpoints, organice lance etc.). If not a quick start version appears. That way the people which would be interested can have the advanced tactical depth (true mostly for large groups of players) while the normal random game most likely would start quickly.

#5 Dizazter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 106 posts
  • LocationOn Your 6

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Love the idea, during the pre-mission lobby.
Also, it'd be great if you could draw on the tactical map for team mates to see.
Might need limitations to avoid greifing though, like only lance leader can draw, or limited to certain amount of drawing per minute.

#6 Deceptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationTrading my subscription for 40$ worth of overclocking accessories to meet minimum requirements (double heat sinks).

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

View Postdizazter, on 27 July 2012 - 09:25 AM, said:

Love the idea, during the pre-mission lobby.
Also, it'd be great if you could draw on the tactical map for team mates to see.
Might need limitations to avoid greifing though, like only lance leader can draw, or limited to certain amount of drawing per minute.

Yes this sounds good. To address your suggestion of limitations more thoroughly, I have a big idea. "playbook" style. Lance leader can alter all nav points and objectives PER MECH, where lancemates can only alter their own mech's plans. This way discussion can be had via chat or voice about mech capabilities, skills (real and computed), fear factor, etc. based on each player's style/comfort level, and then those involved can alter the "play" accordingly. This would also make it pretty obvious who the more "independent" players are when they decide to ignore all else and do their own thing.

Oh and maybe leaders can save their "plays" for the next time the mission is accepted, so they can see what went wrong, or what works.

#7 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

The idea of time to look at the map and PLAN is a great one. The team that takes advantage of such will always do better than the fellows who just want to "go, go ,go".
This should be an option if not standard for the game!

#8 Deceptor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationTrading my subscription for 40$ worth of overclocking accessories to meet minimum requirements (double heat sinks).

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

Bu-boomp.

#9 Super Monkey Ninja

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

This definitely should be an option, just for the basic reason it gives you a heads up before the match beginning and it highlights objectives. Maybe it could have a nice line up of your fellow teams battlemechs so you know what your role will be in the next match!

Edited by Super Monkey Ninja, 31 July 2012 - 04:53 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users