#21 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostBrizna, on 05 December 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

LRM5 + Artemis is CT seeking and is totally worth it since it concentrates the damage in a tighter cluster which will result in 2 great benefits:

1: Tighter beam mean s more damage in less components against large targets, this lead to killing faster.
2: Less wasted missiles hitting the ground for small and fast targets: this lead to killing faster.

Killing faster least to wining but also to saving ammo, Artemis 1 ton + 1 crit.... so you compensate by having to carry less ammo.

And a side effect, since artemis requires LOS you will be a better lurmer, one that support the team from mid range and shares armor with it.

Yep when I wanna have a laugh I run a A1, LRM5+A

Play it aggressive, get in the enemy face and share the armour with the team. Do NOT sit back 800m away... Pointless. LRMs work better the closer you are due to less flight time and inability then for whoever you are peppering, to find cover.

Generally that way, if with team members, you can get your own locks and have LOS to really make that Artemis worth it.

If you're a ***** that sits back and never gets LOS - then Artemis is a waste of time, and you're a bad LURM'er anyway.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

To be precise:
LRMs typically have up to 8 course corrections. LRMs + Artemis have 12 course corrections.

According to Smurfy all TAG does is give you an extra second of lock on time.
TAG has done the following: Decrease time to acquire lock by 25%. Makes it harder to break the lock (apparently by keeping the lock for a second longer), and increases missile accuracy by tightening the spread. This is all done for a single ton.

Artemis (on LRMs) does the following: Decrease time to lock on by 25%. Makes it harder to break the lock (by keeping the lock for one second longer after it would already be broken). Increases missile accuracy by tightening (reducing) missile spread. Finally (the trait that TAG does not have) it adds four additional course corrections per firing (which helps it better track lights and smaller targets). This is done at a cost of 1 ton per missile launcher.

So there definitely wasn't any misinformation. I just didn't give the full spiel. Others already gave the stackability tidbit.

I don't carry Artemis except if I have a single LRM launcher and lots of Streaks. Otherwise that tonnage is better spent on ammo and my trusty TAG. Sure I could benefit greater using Artemis, but considering I shower most enemies out of line of sight anyway, what's the point of spending that tonnage on Artemis?

#23 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

Keep in mind that playing at shorter ranges, aggressively, on an IS LRM boat can be hazardous to your own health too. Smart pilots taking fire will charge you to get inside your min range; smart teammates (and even not so smart ones) will prioritize a lrm boat in the open - concentrated fire is deadly to everyone.

As a tactic, It'd be best on a lighter, faster mech. Otherwise, fodder for smart, kill hungry light mechs

#24 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostKoniving, on 05 December 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

To be precise:
LRMs typically have up to 8 course corrections. LRMs + Artemis have 12 course corrections.

According to Smurfy all TAG does is give you an extra second of lock on time.
TAG has done the following: Decrease time to acquire lock by 25%. Makes it harder to break the lock (apparently by keeping the lock for a second longer), and increases missile accuracy by tightening the spread. This is all done for a single ton.

Artemis (on LRMs) does the following: Decrease time to lock on by 25%. Makes it harder to break the lock (by keeping the lock for one second longer after it would already be broken). Increases missile accuracy by tightening (reducing) missile spread. Finally (the trait that TAG does not have) it adds four additional course corrections per firing (which helps it better track lights and smaller targets). This is done at a cost of 1 ton per missile launcher.

ACK! Course corrections. So the LRMs will semi track the target. (but still not fast enough to hit most Lights)

OK, TAG. It gives an extra second of lock on time. So if I'm tagging and the target moves out of sight, I still have a second. Any idea how much it tightens the spread?

And Artemis and Tag each give one extra second of lock on time?

What are the stats on Narc? And do you consider it worth using with doing LRMs.

And AMS and LRMs. If an AMS shoot down 6 of the incoming 15 missiles, will the other 11 come together to keep the pattern or will there be a "hole" in the spread?

#25 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 06 December 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

ACK! Course corrections. So the LRMs will semi track the target. (but still not fast enough to hit most Lights)

OK, TAG. It gives an extra second of lock on time. So if I'm tagging and the target moves out of sight, I still have a second. Any idea how much it tightens the spread?

And Artemis and Tag each give one extra second of lock on time?

What are the stats on Narc? And do you consider it worth using with doing LRMs.

And AMS and LRMs. If an AMS shoot down 6 of the incoming 15 missiles, will the other 11 come together to keep the pattern or will there be a "hole" in the spread?

LRMs have a set number of times while in the air that they will repitch to home on on their targets. This is why LRMs are less effective against light mechs, because they move so fast that they avoid the missiles after their last course correction. If you lose your lock on the target while the LRMs are in the air, they will no longer correct their course and will continue on the last path to their target.

TAG provides a but more target decay if your target was hit with it. An extra second sounds about correct. I have never witnessed Artemis to have this effect though... Koniving is normally correct on his statements so I'm not sure here. If Artemis increases Target Decay, that would be news to me.

NARC is a manually aimed missile that attaches onto a target. It weighs as much as an SRM6 launcher, and each ton of ammo doesn't provide much. Overall, NARC is only good on faster mech, but it can come in handy for an LRM based mech. However... it takes up a missile slot. (As far as using it yourself, I have a Raven that NARCs for it's own limited LRM supply. Unless you are in a fast mech, NARCing for your own LRMs is a little impractical. Possible, but not practical.)

As for AMS punching a hole in your LRM spread or if the LRMs readjust to fill in the hole... Don't know. LRMs tend to be fast enough moving and in enough of a group that I have never been able to tell. I also tend to to worry how the AMS takes down my missiles, I only worry that they do. From what I've observed though, it seems like AMS picks on the missiles on the edge of the swarm... But I can't say for certain. Never really gave it much thought to be honest.

#26 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostJingseng, on 05 December 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

Keep in mind that playing at shorter ranges, aggressively, on an IS LRM boat can be hazardous to your own health too. Smart pilots taking fire will charge you to get inside your min range; smart teammates (and even not so smart ones) will prioritize a lrm boat in the open - concentrated fire is deadly to everyone.

As a tactic, It'd be best on a lighter, faster mech. Otherwise, fodder for smart, kill hungry light mechs

I sit with my team in my A1 LURM fest, I don't get specifically targeted or "rushed", cause why would someone rush into 4-5 mechs? That's just dumb.

#27 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:43 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 06 December 2016 - 01:43 PM, said:

I sit with my team in my A1 LURM fest, I don't get specifically targeted or "rushed", cause why would someone rush into 4-5 mechs? That's just dumb.

If 4-5 of them are sitting there yes. But that does not happen that often. Few people think and plan that much (and it is not much). But I've taken down and had my IS LRM mechs taken down by rushes. Inside of 200 meters and you do not have to worry about damage

I have one Archer-2R sit up for LRMS but it also carries 5 SPLs for defense. But my ARC-5W (the Home Wecker) carries all SRMs and I'm surprised a few "poachers" thinking they had an easy kill.

I'm not into LRMs, in fact, I did not even have an "LRM Mech" till recently. I do strongly believe that there is a time and place for them. On defense on a few maps in FW for instance. But I want bang for my tonnage and i think for it to really work, you need a team approach to it.

In a funny way, some of the players that are affected the most by mass LRM attack are higher Tier players because they have no defense except for running which does not always help. You almost never see a high Tier player being killed by LRMs because they do not post those, lol. I've seen a few before they were taken down and also live streams.

I would, for fun, like to create or be a part of "Charlie Battery".

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 07 December 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#28 LMP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

I have a policy that goes, weapons, ammo and heat sinks come first. If I have extra weight and slots left over after I make a load out then I can put fancy stuff on it. I should also say I'm still a rookie so you probably shouldn't listen to me.

Edited by LMP, 07 December 2016 - 12:01 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users