The Mechwarrior Online World Championship Finals

27 replies to this topic

#1 InnerSphereNews

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

The first-ever MechWarrior Online World Championships came to a thrilling conclusion on December 3rd at Mech_Con 2016! Throughout the day and into the night our Regional Finalists met on the battlefield in front of a packed house of attendees, with thousands more watching the action through the official Mech_Con Twitch stream.

All three teams put in incredible effort, with a number of incredible matches through the Finals. We would like to thank all three teams for putting on an amazing show. Their sheer ability on the battlefield, and amazing sportsmanship off the field, really made the World Championship Finals something special.
EmpyreaL brought a level of strategy and sheer combative strength that showed why they are the #1 team in MechWarrior Online competitive gameplay; truly the World Champions.
EON Synergy and 228th The Wild Ones (finishing 2nd and 3rd, respectively) also displayed top-class performance in the final matches at Mech_Con.

While the road to the Finals was undoubtedly a long and bumpy ride, with no shortage of scheduling and logistical headaches, we are confident that the top Regional Finalists were indeed the teams that most deserved to be there. Moving forward we are planning to work more closely with community-run Tournament organizers to create better tools and improved data sharing to ensure future competitions are easier to manage, and to make the seeding process for future official world-level Tournaments a much easier process for everyone.

We extend our wholehearted congratulations to EmpyreaL, the first-ever MechWarrior Online World Champions, and their fellow finalists EON Synergy and 228th The Wild Ones. We hope your experience in Vancouver was an enjoyable one.

To the thousands of fans who tuned into the live broadcast on Twitch.tv, we cannot thank you enough for your participation. At peak, we were on the title page of Twitch itself; a first for MechWarrior Online.

Thank you again to all MWOWC competitors, the whole MWO community, and all followers of the MWO competitive scene. We are very much looking forward to future MechWarrior Online competitive tournaments, both official and unofficial, and we hope you are as well.

Sincerely,

The whole team at Piranha Games

~ WORLD CHAMPIONS ~

TOTAL PRIZE: $86,094

Home Region: The Americas

Full Roster: Celyth (Team Captain), Coburn, prtNspz, TwinkyOverlord, Araara, CarNaGe X, F i s s i o n, heimdelight, Imminent, Nova-, s o l i t u d e, slummy

- SECOND PLACE -

TOTAL PRIZE: $43,047

Home Region: Europe & Africa

Full Roster: Da Red Goes DA FASTA (Team Captain), oldhasu, Dungeon Keeper, FunkyCat, Hardoc, Igor Kozyrev, L3golas, tt1a, xCico, Zeleglok, chiXu, Quintt

- THIRD PLACE -

TOTAL PRIZE: $14,349

Home Region: Asia & Oceanic

Full Roster: Jay Z (Team Captain), Kageru Ikazuchi, Thpoon, Emdee, MickaStarkiller, BluntObject, Stonefalcon, Halimede, Hatepriest, SnowDragon, anids, Hairball359

#2 BWS2K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:50 PM

w00t! Congratulations all around - was a great time! :)

#3 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

Gratz Wild Ones! I hope you saved enough of your winnings for return flights and didn't blow all 14 grand on canadian beer.

...and maple syrup.

I don't get to play with the other guys much so I can't speak to their personalities, but guys are always a blast to run with!

Edited by MovinTarget, 05 December 2016 - 04:58 PM.

#4 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:01 PM

Is there a convenient way to see the matches alone?

#5 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostKuaron, on 05 December 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

Is there a convenient way to see the matches alone?

Don't shower for a few weeks before you watch them?

#6 Kuaron

• Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

OK. I'll try.
Other suggestions?

#7 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

Having emotianally charged arguments with myself usually ensures I get to be alone for a while... until the men in white coats show up....

#8 Sevronis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2021 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 216 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

Well, I don't recall hearing about EON before. Now I have. As for first place, I didn't even watch the final matches. I already figured it was gonna be EMP.

Either way, grats you guys.

#9 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Congrats to 228, eon, and emp! Hope everyone on Emp got a medal! :P

Also, good job on the tourny, PGI. While it was bumpy of sorts - it's the first of it's kind, and I'm sure many lessons were learned to hopefully make future ones easier, if there will be more.

#10 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

Gratz! There can only be one first champions.

#11 HamburgerJung

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22 posts
  • LocationHamburg, GER

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

Great finals, congratulations to all teams.

Next time please random maps, that was to much canyon.

Edited by HamburgerJung, 06 December 2016 - 02:45 AM.

#12 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

Congratulations to all three teams. I had a great time watching :D

#13 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

Congratulations to all the finalists, and a special congratulations to the winners!

You guys are awesome!

#14 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:21 AM

Congratulations to all the team members for sticking at it and seeing it through.

<0

#15 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:30 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 05 December 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

Congrats to 228, eon, and emp! Hope everyone on Emp got a medal! Posted Image

There where 14 guys with EMP-T-Shirts on the stage.

A World-Championship team is made up of 12 players. So who where the other 2 players? The cook and the driver? Why should the cook and the driver get a medal.

In soccer and other sports you get a penalty for showing up with more players then are allowed on the field.

So question to EMP, who where the additional 2 guys in EMP T-Shirts. And what is the explanation for them?

Spelling: become --> get
so I looked it up in the rules of the MWO-Championship https://mwomercs.com/mwowc2016/rules. A team consist out of 12 players

Edited by tee5, 06 December 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#16 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:41 AM

View Posttee5, on 06 December 2016 - 06:30 AM, said:

There where 14 guys with EMP-T-Shirts on the stage.

A World-Championship team is made up of 12 players. So who where the other 2 players? The cook and the driver? Why should the cook and the driver get a medal.

In soccer and other sports you get a penalty for showing up with more players then are allowed on the field.

So question to EMP, who where the additional 2 guys in EMP T-Shirts. And what is the explanation for them?

Spelling: become --> get
so I looked it up in the rules of the MWO-Championship https://mwomercs.com/mwowc2016/rules. A team consist out of 12 players

Oooh, I didn’t know Emp had MORE people. I just thought that they just didn’t get enough medals.
In that case it does make sense that only the people who played should get medals, and it kind of made PGI look bad for no reason then.

Wonder why the extra people then. Hmh. Oh well.

#17 Desintegrator

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:09 AM

Congratulations to the Winners !

Great matches.

#18 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 677 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

Congratulations to those who cheated and exploited all the way to top ^.^....I mean totally played legit.

#19 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

EMP the UNIT is more than 12 players. The team is officially only 12, but chances are great that the rest helped with things like strats, practice/scrims/etc.

Congrats to the winners, better luck next time to the rest. As they say, [in my most comical voice] GIT GUD!

#20 BanditB17

Competitive Play Moderator & Shoutcaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • WC 2017 Shoutcaster
  • 517 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostHydrocarbon, on 06 December 2016 - 11:13 AM, said:

EMP the UNIT is more than 12 players. The team is officially only 12, but chances are great that the rest helped with things like strats, practice/scrims/etc.

EmP was practicing internally with a very grueling schedule with their entire team, not just their 12. A bunch of them paid their own way to MechCon to meet with their team.

OH and EmP is just a giant bunch of cheaters and not just a committed bunch of talented individuals... right? riiiiiiight...

Fire up your CAD programs, boys!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users