New Skill Tree, Layout & Video, Full Picture Of New Skill Tree Inside! (+Paul/russ Twitter)

54 replies to this topic

#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

just as the Title Says,
ive gone threw the Video(see Below)
and created a Jpg that shows all the Current Avalable Skills,
(Please Note, all of this is Subject to Change Per PGI Discretion)

Posted Image
(Download can be Found (HERE)(sorry i know it can be hard to see, hence why i added Download Link)

Here we call all see the New Skill Tree as it is Currently,

=Navigation=(of the Skill Tree)=
First Row(Ballistics)= (AC) / (UAC) / (LBX) / (Gauss),
Second Row(Energy)= (Laser) / (PulseLaser) / (PPC),
Third Row(Missile)= (LRM) / (SRM) / (SSRM),
Fourth Row(Mech)= (Armor/Structure) / (Twist/Turn-Angle/Speed) / (Accel/Decell/SpeedTweak)
4th Row(continued)= (JJ) / (CoolRun/HillClimb/ect) / (TargetInfo/RadarDecay) / (UAV/CapAssist)
Note that Mechs seem to have a Max of 75 SkillPoints total,

=Also on the Grounds of Mech Balance=

twitter said:

Russ Bullock@russ_bullock 8m8 minutes ago
@sjorpha one tweet of mine mentioned keeping the things that the chassis need and adding to base stats before skill tree
so some mechs will keep some Quirks, & some will have their stats adjusted for balance,
with this in mind, we can assume PGI isnt starting from Scratch with Mech Balance,

twitter said:

Russ Bullock@russ_bullock 19m19 minutes ago
total grind time per mech should be fairly similar as now,

twitter said:

Paul_Inouye@Paul_Inouye 2h2 hours ago
Please share this: values in the Skill Tree video are placeholder. We wanted to show you that there are multiple currencies involved.
so the 10k Exp per Skill Point is just a Place Holder,
much like how much of the Skill Tree is full of +0%, Posted Image

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Discuss?! Thanks,

Edit- Download Link Added,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 06 December 2016 - 06:50 PM.

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Thank you. I shall edit this later with my opinion. Please like it anyway, it'll be a really intelligent analysis full of facts, wisdom and humor. Totally. Posted Image

Remember when I said I'd edit this later with a detailed analysis? Well, I wasn't lying. However... about that part where I said I'd kill you last...

Anyway! Until we get the final numbers it's truly difficult to say how this will shape up but I'm very optimistic at this time™.

Just looking at the screenshots we have now, and which you provided, thank you for that btw, it seems that players will be making a choice between Firepower, Durability, Mobility and Modules/CDs. I'd have much preferred it be a pilot skill tree, but this is alright for now.

As of this time I suspect the "meta" will be to focus on Firepower > Mobility > Durability = Modules/CDs. Yes, Radar Deprivation and Seismic Sensors are nice, but not as nice as making the thing you've targeted go boom faster and one would assume these two will be buried deep in the tree. You only get 75 skill nodes!

Edited by cazidin, 07 December 2016 - 02:25 PM.

#3 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Any idea what the amount of max skill tree unlocks is? Those Atlas quirks were pretty good but with the new skill tree would people be able to replicate that in it's entirety?

#4 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

View Postluigi256, on 06 December 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Any idea what the amount of max skill tree unlocks is? Those Atlas quirks were pretty good but with the new skill tree would people be able to replicate that in it's entirety?

the Max per Mech seems to be 75Total, but where you can place those points seems to be restricted in some,

for instance this GRF-1S, it can have 75points(all its points) poured into its Ballistic weapons,
so some mechs may have limits set for the mech, Ex. a KDK-3 may only beable to allocate 50points to Balistics,

#5 TheBlackMegadeus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

.jpg heh

#6 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:17 PM

I wonder how much Respecing will cost.

#7 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

From the looks of it, and I may be off base here because I haven't got too in depth, the new skill tree seems to be more rewarding for people that want to focus on just one mech. From a lore and BT perspective that makes tons of sense because most pilots don't change mechs like people change clothes. They usually get their first mech and ride it until they die or it does.

From a business perspective it's kind of an odd direction to take it, but maybe they're planning on making their money some other way than mechs in the near future.

#8 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:37 PM

I like the new skill tree.

It means everyone who has been unhappy with quirks in the past will be able to re-spec how they want it.

#9 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:57 PM

All I want to know, is do I get EVERY SINGLE POINT of XP & GXP back, that I've now wasted, since the BETA Reset...

#10 Elessar

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 06 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostT Decker, on 06 December 2016 - 04:57 PM, said:

All I want to know, is do I get EVERY SINGLE POINT of XP & GXP back, that I've now wasted, since the BETA Reset...

According to all I read the answer is "Yes"

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

Multiple currencies? Oh joy...

Why can't it just be XP-only?

#12 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

Its next gen. Awsome. Really really awesome. I feel sorry for the competition crying the blues with their 90's clones.

Edited by Johnny Z, 06 December 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#13 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 December 2016 - 06:31 PM, said:

Multiple currencies? Oh joy...

Why can't it just be XP-only?

Probably because the cbill sink that was modules is going away. I just hope the finalized price for all this is adjusted to not be totally cbill-draining.

#14 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Postarmyunit, on 06 December 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

Probably because the cbill sink that was modules is going away. I just hope the finalized price for all this is adjusted to not be totally cbill-draining.

If it's replacing modules, it's gonna be totally C-Bill draining.

I just wish that they didn't have such a fixation on adding arbitrary resource sinks wherever possible. No fun allowed. :(

#15 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

For my part, I have to wonder how this will work with OmniMechs. Will it quirk by pod, or by base Mech? Does this mean you could design your own "set-of-8" Omni configuration?

#16 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 06 December 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

From the looks of it, and I may be off base here because I haven't got too in depth, the new skill tree seems to be more rewarding for people that want to focus on just one mech. From a lore and BT perspective that makes tons of sense because most pilots don't change mechs like people change clothes. They usually get their first mech and ride it until they die or it does.

From a business perspective it's kind of an odd direction to take it, but maybe they're planning on making their money some other way than mechs in the near future.

How does it do that? Because from what I can see, and what Russ/Paul said (see Barantor's thread), I can basically continue to expect to max out every mech just like I currently do, just in a different manner and presumably with more tailored effects (which might be better, might be worse in terms of flavor).

#17 Elessar

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:52 PM

View PostSilentSooYun, on 06 December 2016 - 08:40 PM, said:

For my part, I have to wonder how this will work with OmniMechs. Will it quirk by pod, or by base Mech? Does this mean you could design your own "set-of-8" Omni configuration?

My guess would be that the base mech is what counts and not the pods

#18 Geist310

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:26 PM

1). PGI has put a new coast on mech quirk (aka skills that effect mech the same of similar method to quirks)
50,000 C-bills and and amount of EXP or GXP.

2). Most people pick a mech based on the quirks and or weapons then buy that mech and sped time and money
on that mech.

3). PGI has stated that people will be getting the EXP/GXP/MC/C-bills back for modules.

I have not heard about get ting reimbursements for the lost quirks ?

4). Most of the mechs I have I would have never picked ( or paid for ) if it was not for the quirks.

I would expect at the least that when this conversion is done that we the people who have paid for these Mechs with certain quirks get reimbursed for the mech/s with quirks lost that we currently have in at least one of the three ways by either:

a). The quirk be moved over to the equivalent "skill" for that mech and activated at no coast to us.

B). The quirks be reimbursed at the same rate we are being charged for the new( skills,abilities... ) ie 50K C-Bills and EXP/GXP.

c). The Mechs get reimbursed either credit if we paid cash, MC for MC and C-Bills for C-Bills and exp/gsp to GXP for the lost time we waisted so we can aply it to another mech .

I would find it alarming at the least if PGI would take away these abilities (quirks) that we have paid for one way or another

just to make us pay for this ability (quirk, skill, Fahrvergnügen ) again as the same or similar skill ( quirk, ability, Fahrvergnügen ) . ( "a roes by any other name" still has thorns and still stinks ).

Sincerely,
Player Geist310.

#19 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostGeist310, on 07 December 2016 - 01:26 PM, said:

1) snip

People here, sigh

People buy mechs, specifically, for the quirks?
Although they might change because of balance?
Like in any online title?
PGI is not going to reimburse you on the choice of mechs based on quirks

It's stated very clearly that quirks and balance is up to changes when you buy mechs
Like in any other online game
for instance

ROUGHNECK FAQ

Q: What guarantees can be made about the balance of these Mechs?
Only that we will try to provide as fair an experience for all players, Clans and Inner Sphere alike. This may mean "nerfing" or "buffing" some weapons or adding Quirks to the 'Mechs at a later date.

People buy mechs, forking over 20$ and more, specifically for modules as it seems as well

Edited by Peter2k, 07 December 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#20 Geist310

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:09 PM

After looking more at the skill tree I am not see how how the missing mech quirks are going to be balanced against clans
mechs could you in lighten us how you plan of doing that.
In the original game the inner sphere just overwhelmed the clans by thrown over welling numbers of mechs and the clans would bid low tonnage to take a planet . in your(PGI) version of the game you have used mech quirks ( abilities by any other name).

In the original game I could easily take on 2 IS mechs of equal tonnage against a clan mech (IE: 50 ton nova againt two 50 ton IS mechs) and barely win. are you going to cut the drop weight of clan mechs in half at the least or what ?

PS I would expect massive changes like this ( new skills...) in Betta not in release.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users