The Meta Hatred

152 replies to this topic

#141 I_AM_ZUUL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 08 December 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

228WO isn't even in the top ten teams within MWO, the skill gap between NA/EU and Oceanic is pretty large. They got to the WC because of PGI's stupid region rules, not because they are one of the top teams in MWO.

The mere fact that the best team in the Oceanic server doesn't know not to do the worst opening move on that map/spawn & top 5 worst opening moves on any map in the entire game is symptomatic of the player base having a fundamental problem. Pinpoint accuracy is part of what has contributed to this but the real issue is the moral hazard that PGI has created with the Match Reward System.

Change the broken Match Reward System and the "meta" builds disappear cause that's what they are meta about... Make the rewards contingent upon what Class Mech you are driving... Increases in Spotting, Counter ECM, Tag Damage/Kill, etc for Light Mechs while depressing their Rewards for damage & kills would transform the game by itself. Add in things that aren't currently counted like Damage received for Assualt Mechs who currently get absolutely no credit for tanking a position like they should be doing but a worthless Pokebear who is hiding even further away from the frontline than the Raven-3L is racking up damage/kills and being rewarded for being absolutely irrelevant to the success of the TEAM in a Team based game.

Fix the Reward System so each mech is rewarded for doing it's job and the current crop of "meta" mechs will essentially disappear (Heavy mechs meta should stay since that is pretty much what their Role is.)

#142 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 08 December 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

This isnt a FPS... it just has some of the trappings, very fun trappings but still not relevant to the base fundamentals of the game. This is a game of chess where the pieces shoot at each other... I had to stop watching the Championship it was so painful watching what were the supposedly the best teams in the game playing so badly that they were doing what I berate PUGs for doing. Hack one of the teams tried the same opening maneuver twice in a row that is by far the worst thing Charlie lance can ever do on Mining, the shooting part of the game is almost irrelevant in PUGs because Positioning is way more important than Twitch. Shooting is apparently totally irrelevant at the highest levels of the game as well because they don't even know that positioning is important. It was so painful to watch teams Lose when I wanted to be watching teams Win, a fitting analogy would be beating a football team that fumbles the ball 3 times and throws 4 interceptions is never impressive.

EXACTLY!!! What idiots the so-called-best players at the MWOWC are!

Just like when I am watching those morons in the NFL trying to do incredibly stupid %^&$ like throwing the ball in for a touch down. These mental midgets don't even know the game they are playing!!! It's incredible. Why are they wasting their time with this nonsense instead of just running the ball LIKE THEY SHOULD BE DOING!!!!

It is sooo frustrating to watch people doing stuff and ignoring my obvious genius and breadth of knowledge about everything. The world would be so much better if they followed what I want and think they should do....

Edited by Evil Goof, 08 December 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#143 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

This topic entertaining to me. We have all been in the position where 4 or 5 plus Mechs kill us in less then 10 seconds. If they were wise they would learn to use cover and proper positioning. Figure out how to peak with your team and such. Learn some tactics, use your advantages. Press the enemies and such. The true meta builds are hidden by units who discover them.

The people who follow meta Mechs like a religion are inevitably gimped due to lack of creativity and experimentation. As a pilot develops and grow different weapons will suit your needs at different times. For example I was all about large lasers for a time. Now I'm on a guass rifle and medium lasers kick. I adapt to myself, and I notice in relation to the battlefield. If I feel I need long range weaponry, short range or medium range. If you feel you overheat to much drop a large laser and add 4 heat sinks. Mind state and general opposition change so be able to adapt to any situation.

#144 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

It's not the use of 'Meta' in MWO that irks me so much as the underlying fundamental frackups in the game's execution that create the meta. Namely, the expansively huge heat capacity and otherwise poorly thought out and amended heat system, the complete lack of any convergence control, the wacky waving inflatable laser flailing hardpoint system, and the wonky weapon balance that bends to those broken systems.

#145 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:07 PM

The true meta in this game is teamwork. If your team communicates properly, moves together and concentrates fire properly you'll do very well 99% of the time.

#146 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 08 December 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

-stuff I don't care about-

Okay, I don't care about what you guys are talking about at all. But there's one thing I do care about. Don't like your own posts. Stop it.

Posted Image

#147 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostGabrielSun, on 08 December 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

The true meta in this game is teamwork. If your team communicates properly, moves together and concentrates fire properly you'll do very well 99% of the time.

Which is my entire point but the game only rewards very individual play and that is even skewed further into one specific kind of build regardless of Class. Using tactics & teamwork isn't rewarded like being a Call of Duty camper is... Light mechs aren't rewarded for being Lights, Assaults aren't rewarded for being frontline tanks, Heavys are supposed to be played in general like they currently are, Mediums need to not be rewarded for playing as small Heavies & more like big Lights. But as long as PGI continues to keep the inherent moral hazard of the current Reward System than people are never going to learn how to play the game properly instead of this very narrowly focused version that we currently have.

#148 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:33 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 December 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

Okay, I don't care about what you guys are talking about at all. But there's one thing I do care about. Don't like your own posts. Stop it.

Posted Image

Great counter point... I hit the button on accident while scrolling through the page on my phone, you couldn't even find a spelling error to point out as the sum total of your rebuttal? I'm sad that this is 98% of the level of discourse on the internet, I like to think better about humanity but they fail me every time.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 08 December 2016 - 12:36 PM.

#149 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 08 December 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Great counter point... I hit the button on accident while scrolling through the page on my phone, you couldn't even find a spelling error to point out as the some total of your rebuttal? I'm sad that this is 98% of the level of discourse on the internet, I like to think better about humanity but they fail me every time.

Set the bar low, it helps.... I still manage to find people that limbo under it for time to time....

#150 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 08 December 2016 - 12:33 PM, said:

Great counter point... I hit the button on accident while scrolling through the page on my phone, you couldn't even find a spelling error to point out as the some total of your rebuttal? I'm sad that this is 98% of the level of discourse on the internet, I like to think better about humanity but they fail me every time.

Seeing someone liking their own posts is straight up one of the few things that makes me really angry, and I've made it my job to yell at anyone that does it. You may continue yelling at each other, I'm out now that you've fixed it.

#151 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 08 December 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Set the bar low, it helps.... I still manage to find people that limbo under it for time to time....

No matter how low you set it... the Raven-3L and ACH pilots will just bust out shovels to dig under it.

Edited by I_AM_ZUUL, 08 December 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#152 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 December 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

Seeing someone liking their own posts is straight up one of the few things that makes me really angry, and I've made it my job to yell at anyone that does it. You may continue yelling at each other, I'm out now that you've fixed it.

Since it was one of like 6 posts in a short period of time... possibly assume that it was accidental. Cause the [nice People] who do that, DO IT EVERY TIME!!!

I also routinely make fun of people who I see do that, but not if it's a single incidence

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 21 December 2016 - 12:59 PM.
you know why, you know better,

#153 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostI_AM_ZUUL, on 08 December 2016 - 12:38 PM, said:

No matter how you set it... the Raven-3L and ACH pilots will just bust out shovels to dig under it.

Like I said a in a different thread...

Metus regem said:

.... I am convinced most of the people I see when playing MWO are actually poorly scripted AI's, as there should be no way a human could be that dumb. What I mean by that is, seeing a Raven 3L try to face tank a Kodiak 3....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users