No Macro Transactions, Then What Funds This Game?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:38 PM

With the new skill trees obviating the need for mech packs, mastery packs and Steam packs what will fund this game?

MC for respec can't do it on it's own.

GXP for MC? P2W?

Any guesses?

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:41 PM

The desire to have multiple 'Mechs already loaded to go for a variety of play styles so I don't have to pay for a Respec. Drives 'MechBay sales, not just packages.

I don't own duplicate Riflemen and Marauders for nothin', and that was purely for convenience. Now I get to not have to spend respec monies.

There's also the fact that everybody has his or her pet 'Mech and will happily pay for many variants of it.

#3 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 07 December 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

the need for mech packs, mastery packs and Steam packs

If you haven't noticed, this game is already funded by whales who buy stuff because of nostalgia. Combine the mech packs people will buy for that reason, respecs, MC purchases, and mechbays. I don't see them losing any money any time soon unless they piss off the whales again. The skill revamp ain't going to change people's buying habits TBH, outside of mastery packs.

#4 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 07 December 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

If you haven't noticed, this game is already funded by whales who buy stuff because of nostalgia. Combine the mech packs people will buy for that reason, respecs, MC purchases, and mechbays. I don't see them losing any money any time soon unless they piss off the whales again. The skill revamp ain't going to change people's buying habits TBH, outside of mastery packs.

Mastery packs are a great way to get into a chassis, still, and usually come with variants that are each unique and often the ones you would want to buy anyway.

#5 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:51 PM

First person mechbay customization and other things like that. DLC's.

#6 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

The real question is: Who is actually happy with just one meta mech?

Thats my way of saying, grind or no grind, we are still going to buy more than one variant.

Edited by DAYLEET, 07 December 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#7 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

Could perhaps see the price of single mechs going up in price, similar price structure of say WoWs where a single ship costs $50 to $80 ?.

View PostJohnny Z, on 07 December 2016 - 06:51 PM, said:

First person mechbay customization and other things like that. DLC's.

What charge for maps?

#8 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 December 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

Mastery packs are a great way to get into a chassis, still, and usually come with variants that are each unique and often the ones you would want to buy anyway.

Mastery packs are the best deal in town. But the name is "mastery pack" for a reason. Why would I buy three of chassis when one, the most OP variant, will suffice. Do you really need a brawler variant of a Locust? And think of how many chassis have one or barely one viable variant. Three Orions? Three Vindicators?

And for clan mechs it will be even more pointless to buy three in a Steam pack.

But believe what you will.

#9 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:03 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 07 December 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Could perhaps see the price of single mechs going up in price, similar price structure of say WoWs where a single ship costs $50 to $80 ?.

Posted Image

Please no.

#10 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 07 December 2016 - 06:54 PM, said:

The real question is: Who is actually happy with just one meta mech?

Thats my way of saying, grind or no grind, we are still going to buy more than one variant.

Kodiak.

KDK-3. There is no substitute.

As stated above many mechs do not have more than one viable chassis. Unless there is some extreme re-balance you will be able to say "I have mastered every chassis" while only owning one of most chassis.

No, I think the strategy will focus on how you can monetize a person owning one of a chassis. Are they selling that many decals?

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 07 December 2016 - 06:59 PM, said:

Mastery packs are the best deal in town. But the name is "mastery pack" for a reason. Why would I buy three of chassis when one, the most OP variant, will suffice. Do you really need a brawler variant of a Locust? And think of how many chassis have one or barely one viable variant. Three Orions? Three Vindicators?

Do you really believe people only play the top variant of a chassis?

Have you been playing recently? Crap-tons of KDK-5, KDK-2, KDK-4, and Spirit Bears; it's not even applicable to the Kodiak. (Edit: answer is no; you haven't played for three months; you've played all of 66 matches in the last 6 months; your recent experience is not significant enough to fairly comment).

And yes, I do need my Brawler Locusts. They are quite powerful.

And for clan mechs it will be even more pointless to buy three in a Steam pack.

But believe what you will.

Steam packs only come with one variant of a 'Mech. They become even less pointless under the new system, since you can actually master them without having to invest in alternative variants.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 07 December 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#12 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

Obvious answer is micro-transaction and gifting.

It boggles my ming that I can't purchase just a faction logo for $2.00 (MC equivalent)

Worse yet, I can't gift friends/unit members faction logos, unit colors, or mechbays.

I'm done spending money on this game for myself. Still it would have been nice to give unit members a bigger thank-you than a share of the paltry rewards from from Faction Warfare.

#13 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 07 December 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Have you been playing recently? Crap-tons of KDK-5, KDK-2, KDK-4, and Spirit Bears; it's not even applicable to the Kodiak. (Edit: answer is no; you haven't played for three months; you've played all of 66 matches in the last 6 months; your recent experience is not significant enough to fairly comment).

Oh look, you went to the trouble of looking up my stats. How insecure.

Do you think maybe people are playing those chassis because they have them? Because maybe they had to buy them? I basic'd all 270 plus mechs I have because, well they were there and I needed three basic'd to play the one I wanted of a chassis.

But why are you trying to de-rail the thread. Play along or go bother someone else little bird.

#14 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

Have you been playing recently? Crap-tons of KDK-5, KDK-2, KDK-4, and Spirit Bears; it's not even applicable to the Kodiak.

Dont they HAVE to play those at the moment (3 variant thing) to Master the 3?.
Goana check my stats? you know how many alts i own if any.
Thought that uncalled for.

#15 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 07 December 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

With the new skill trees obviating the need for mech packs, mastery packs and Steam packs what will fund this game?

MC for respec can't do it on it's own.

GXP for MC? P2W?

Any guesses?

Mech Packs still...

I buy multiple variants of a mech because they have different hard points, or allow me to do different builds.

I started buying Griffins recently, picked one with spread hardpoints first, then bought the one sided one to try a shield side build. Probably will continue to buy more, as they're not my Wolverine but still pretty fun.

#16 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 07 December 2016 - 07:16 PM, said:

Oh look, you went to the trouble of looking up my stats. How insecure.

I fail to see how that makes me insecure. You are the one being defensive, here. You flat-out do not have the experience to comment on the current state of the game. It's a point of fact. It has been three patches since you last played, and none of your play sessions have had sufficient density to really formulate a good picture of the game at that point in time.

Do you think maybe people are playing those chassis because they have them? Because maybe they had to buy them? I basic'd all 270 plus mechs I have because, well they were there and I needed three basic'd to play the one I wanted of a chassis.

Do you think people are playing them because they are bored with the other one? Because maybe doing the exact same thing day-in-and-day-out is not really enjoyable long-term?

I paid $35 for the Mist Lynx package earlier this year, knowing full-well what I was getting having already mastered the chassis because I wanted the Invasion geometry. I also bought a duplicate for every single Marauder save the BH2 having already bought the full package last year. I recently bought the Thunderbolt mastery package precisely because all of the variants are ones I wanted; I wanted the TDR-9SE for poptarting, the TDR-5S-T for laser vomit, and the TDR-5SS for brawling. I'm not particularly a fan of BattleTech, nor am I an exceptional whale. I sincerely doubt I am the only person playing the game who bought 'Mechs because he wanted them, not because he was required to purchase them to play a different 'Mech. Some of us have more imagination than that.

But why are you trying to de-rail the thread. Play along or go bother someone else little bird.

I was playing along, except in your first reply you decided you already know why everybody plays 'Mechs apart from the top-rated variants in the game and that nobody plays them for any reason other than to get to those top variants.

Spout bull-sh*t, get called on bull-sh*t.

View PostN0MAD, on 07 December 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Dont they HAVE to play those at the moment (3 variant thing) to Master the 3?.
Goana check my stats? you know how many alts i own if any.
Thought that uncalled for.

Right now, purchasers of Steam packs have to buy two more variants in-game to complete their mastery. That makes the Steam packages less useful than under the new system, where they would be able to master them right off.

And no, I'm not going to check your stats, because you aren't known to post bullsh*t every time you hit the keyboard. Ted is. His posting history calls his own credibility into question.

#17 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 07 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

And yes, I do need my Brawler Locusts. They are quite powerful.

Steam packs only come with one variant of a 'Mech. They become even less pointless under the new system, since you can actually master them without having to invest in alternative variants.

Do you not realize you just contradicted yourself in your own post? Do you honestly think people play crappy variants for any primary reason other that *its required* to elite and master the ones they want to play?

People have multiple variants of the KDK because 1 ) it's *required* to be able to elite and master that KDK-3 you need to have at least basic'ed 2 other version. 2 ) the fact that the packs come with at least 3 doesn't have anything to do with that either...

Yet as you say about the steam packs which contradicts your first part - when people can buy *one* variant (KDK-3) and master that without buying any others it does make many existing mech packs pretty pointless because of crappy variants that nobody wants. In the new system, they don't have to buy crappy mechs and play them through at least basic. Just buy the one you want and ignore the others.
The mech packs are going to have to change because their current format is now significantly devalued without the rule of 3 mechs being required.

#18 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

View PostEgoSlayer, on 07 December 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

Do you not realize you just contradicted yourself in your own post? Do you honestly think people play crappy variants for any primary reason other that *its required* to elite and master the ones they want to play?

People have multiple variants of the KDK because 1 ) it's *required* to be able to elite and master that KDK-3 you need to have at least basic'ed 2 other version. 2 ) the fact that the packs come with at least 3 doesn't have anything to do with that either...

Yet as you say about the steam packs which contradicts your first part - when people can buy *one* variant (KDK-3) and master that without buying any others it does make many existing mech packs pretty pointless because of crappy variants that nobody wants. In the new system, they don't have to buy crappy mechs and play them through at least basic. Just buy the one you want and ignore the others.
The mech packs are going to have to change because their current format is now significantly devalued without the rule of 3 mechs being required.

I suppose I should have said the people I see playing KDK-1/2/5/4 are people who are known to have had their KDK-3s mastered for months. They are playing the other ones at this point "just because."

#19 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 07 December 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

KDK-3. There is no substitute.

In the 100ton, 4 high ballistic hardpoint category, theres no substitute. There is only one mech too in that category and thats the KDK3. In the 100ton, 11 energy hardpoints category, theres no substitute to the KDK5.

As stated above many mechs do not have more than one viable chassis.

I dont know what to say to that. Gitgud? Just because one mech is an easy mode crutch dont mean the other variant arent viable. You just cant suck as much in the other variant.

Unless there is some extreme re-balance you will be able to say "I have mastered every chassis" while only owning one of most chassis.

We dont play to master chassis though. We master the chassis that we play, thats a huge difference. Doing the basics on a mech to unlock the elite is done in a night, ~10 game. We are still going to buy even more Variant of a chassis now because we can have different spec. Theres only a few mech i can think of that all the hardpoint are very similar but you still going to need more than one mech to have different spec, loadout.

Do you honestly think people play crappy variants for any primary reason other that *its required* to elite and master the ones they want to play?

Crappy variant? You mean those you personally dont like? Of course people will keep playing them, regardless of what you like.

People have multiple variants of the KDK because 1 ) it's *required* to be able to elite and master that KDK-3 you need to have at least basic'ed 2 other version.

The poor will only get one variant at first and still be able to master it which is great. But saying they will never get another variant or more of the same is just meta-tryahrd thinking. Its your choice to do what you do and why you do it but dont project it on everyone else. Im not part of the sad, tryhard playerbase, and i dont impose stupid rules on myself such as "this is the very best mech in the weight class, therfor, i only play this one".

Edited by DAYLEET, 08 December 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#20 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:24 PM

This.

Something along these lines might become the new paradigm.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users